URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID58
Thread Number: 422
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Jen L's Big Mistake"

Posted by freakusmaximus on 03-17-04 at 11:34 AM
We all know that Jen Lifshitz is a complete disaster but I seem to be the only one who caught her biggest mis-hap this week when she was talking to Adam. She was like "Remember me I'm Jen L" Oh wow now that's really gonna keep you from getting fired...ooops wrong show...ANYWAY, when Jen said her name to Adam she configured her hand to make the letter L - read more about this later on. Well in case you people didn't know the hand gesture has another meaning - LOSER. She basically said "Remember me I'm Jen the LOSER" Yet Adam kept her around for week #2 - probably the same way Trump kept Sam around for comedy or Trista kept Bob around or Larissa kept PHUK around.

I'm happy she's still there - after all it will give me more to write about.

As promised, now more on the hand gesture. There is clearly no need to configure her thumb and index fingure to show the letter L - everybody knows what the L looks like. So why did she do it? I have a theory...She did it because she in insecure. She probably noticed that she looks much worse than the rest of the Average Janes - even if she didn't wear flip flops. So she used a hand gesture to divert Adam's eyes from her own or from her body/overexposed sagging cleavage. Am I right?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Jen L's Big Mistake"
Posted by mmm_link on 03-17-04 at 11:47 AM
I didn't see that. There are three Jennifer's in the group, she just wants him to make sure he knows which one she is. I believe she genuinely feels for Adam (similar smile, very outgoing personality) but is very nervous. I hope she lasts for at least one more round.

Posted by Estee on 03-17-04 at 12:04 PM
I did see the 'L' gesture and placed it in the summary. I'm also hoping she lasts a while, just because La Lifshitz is fun to write about. (Besides, now that Jennifer B. is out, we need at least one borderline stalker edit.)

Posted by MTW1961 on 03-17-04 at 04:48 PM
I noticed the "loser" gesture too.

Handcrafted by RollDdice - thanks, RollD, you are the MAN!

I'm off to read Estee's summary

Posted by Karennz on 03-18-04 at 08:01 PM
I noticed it. But what struck me was not that she was calling herself a loser. Here's what got me: I could swear she held up her hand so that the "L" was spelled BACKWARDS. Can anybody else confirm that?

Posted by freakusmaximus on 03-19-04 at 10:10 AM
Thanks for your responses. YES! the L was backwards - just demonstrates how awkward and insecure she is - she made the gesture with her Right hand - try making the same gesture with your RIGHT hand and you will see the L - other people will see a backwards L!!!! Further proving my point:

This gesture was actually Jen calling herself a LOSER in front of me you and Adam!!

She is insecure, stupid and saggy breasted. Do you people think she's also a SLUT? She has the most potential to be of the remaining girls - agreed?

Posted by freakusmaximus on 03-19-04 at 10:26 AM
OOPS OOPS OOPS OOPS

I meant LEFT hand..I am so used to using the RIGHT hand that I couldn't get my last post right - I mean correct. Anyway Jen L made the "L" with her LEFT hand - thus showing us (and Adam) how she called herself a loser!

Posted by mmm_link on 03-24-04 at 08:30 AM
From what I saw of this week's show, she should have put up the "V" sign on her forehead. It may allow her to survive another week.

Posted by niteowl on 03-19-04 at 00:15 AM
I just thought she seemed desperately nervous but did comment while watching that she looks like she could be Adam's relative!! (Sure sign of a possible soul mate) But she's so uncomfortable to watch....

Posted by silverfire on 03-24-04 at 03:43 PM
It is the nose!!!!!!!!!!!!But could also be the uncanny resemblance to Nicole Ritchie either way, i have had enough!

Posted by ValleyGirl on 03-20-04 at 01:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-04 AT 09:41 AM (EST)

I think they will keep Jenn L around for the Final 2, just so they have an option to create an Average Jane reality series.

Ambamuddah and the Robfaddah

Posted by draikogrrl on 03-22-04 at 11:19 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-22-04 AT 11:20 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-22-04 AT 11:20 PM (EST)

I have a feeling that I'm the only one on this forum that actually likes her.

There is such a symbol meaning "loser," but in the way she was doing it is actually the letter "L" in American Sign Language.

Posted by carolina girl on 03-22-04 at 11:35 PM
I like her a lot more after tonight's episode...she seemed very genuine and honest...I think that last week she was probably just very nervous and is one of those people whose nervousness comes out in a very giddy, giggly sort of way....I hope she sticks around for awhile too!

CG

Posted by ladro on 03-23-04 at 00:34 AM
i like her a lot in thirty second sound bites. But, I am pretty sure she would drive me insane if I had to be around her for more than an hour.

Posted by niteowl on 03-23-04 at 01:44 AM
I felt so sorry for her though...seemed so desperate and sad. But i did like her more tonight, too. She doesn't seem catty at all. My kids can't stand her. (She is extremely "different" looking...)

Posted by ohiofan15 on 03-25-04 at 02:27 PM
>I have a feeling that I'm the only one on this forum that actually likes her.

NO I do also. I cant beleive how petty and shallow some people really are. GET OFF JEN'S BACK!
>
>There is such a symbol meaning "loser," but in the way
>she was doing it is actually the letter "L" in
>American Sign Language.

I poihnted that a few days ago and you are right.

YOU GO JEN!

Thanks Draiko

Posted by lisajames on 03-23-04 at 02:06 AM
That someone spent twenty minutes writing about Jen L.'s spontaneous hand gesture strikes me as scary and sad.

My daughter and I both think that Jen L. is refreshingly real. She is sweet and effervescent, and her vulnerability is quite touching. With a nose job, she could be a lot more visually appealing as well. I'd rather hang around her than any of the others. I hope Adam keeps her around for a while, although I'mbetting he'll end up with Rachel of the first date. Which would not be a bad choice either.

Posted by ohiofan15 on 03-23-04 at 04:05 AM
>That someone spent twenty minutes writing about Jen L.'s spontaneous hand gesture strikes me as scary and sad.
>
>My daughter and I both think that Jen L. is refreshingly
>real. She is sweet and effervescent, and her vulnerability
>is quite touching. With a nose job, she could be a lot more visually appealing as well. I'd rather hang around her than any of the others. I hope Adam keeps her around for a while, although I'mbetting he'll end up with Rachel of the first date. Which would not be a bad choice either.

Amen! forget that L stuff seems to me that is also the sign language sign for L. She is a social worker, so she would inevitiably run into deaf people.

I think she is about the sweetest, bubbliest and nicest of the bunch imho. But while I a gree with you about Racel, deep down I am hoping he ends up with Jen, and I can't tell you why <BIG GRIN> and for the record, I dont think Jen would benefit from plastic surgery (ok, you can smack me now for saying that LOL

Ohio

Posted by mmm_link on 03-24-04 at 08:32 AM
I like the nose, although she may need some work in case she has trouble breathing (deviated septum) in the future.

Posted by Reeflex7 on 03-23-04 at 11:58 AM
I don't imagine anyone questions Jen L's heart. I'm sure deep down she's a great person. Her problem is that her insecurity level is off the meter. This is one of the biggest turnoffs. Combine that with her uber-bubbly, over-giggly, wide-eyed hyperactive lap dog personality ("did I get the first hug??? Did I??? Huh??? Huh???") and she just drives me up the proverbial wall. She strikes me as one of those people that would be a smotherer; someone who needs companionship so badly that she doesn't leave the guy any room to breathe.

I felt bad for her after he confessional last night. I don't think this TV show is the correct forum for her to be searching for true love (not that it is for anyone, but particularly for someone as fragile as her). I just see her getting her hopes up higher than most would, and will be more disappointed if she's shot down. If Adam sends her home her farewell is probably going to be the most teary-eyed yet. I wish her well. And lookswise, I don't think she's ugly. She just has self-esteem issues that make her very unattractive.

Posted by mrc on 03-23-04 at 12:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-04 AT 12:13 PM (EST)

"And lookswise, I don't think she's ugly. She just has self-esteem issues that make her very unattractive."

Almost agree with you there. Her self-esteem issue is certainly the major drawback to her looks. However, if she would grow bangs to cover her forehead and hairline and not shape her eyebrows so that they accentuate her bug eyes, that would help.

(In best Simon voice): "I'm not trying to be mean, but those eyebrows are horrendous! Look, Jennifer, if I'm being honest, based on your looks, you should probably expect to go home. To be an Average Jane, you have to look the part. And frankly, my dear, you don't have the IT factor that we are looking for. I'm sorry, but you don't." (Throws hands up and shrugs shoulders as other posters boo.)

ETA--But, then again, don't her looks make her the perfect Average Jane? I dunno.

Posted by Reeflex7 on 03-23-04 at 05:51 PM
"However, if she would grow bangs to cover her forehead and hairline and not shape her eyebrows so that they accentuate her bug eyes, that would help."

TOTALLY agree.

Simon: "The trouble with you, Jennifer, is that your confidence is 100 times smaller than your forehead"

Posted by schmuck on 03-24-04 at 03:14 AM
I agree!

Jen L's confessional was painful to watch! Why people choose to verbalize their personal insecurities on national tv is beyond me. Girls like her make me nervous - they are needy and are desperate for someone to latch onto.

I think being clearly the least attractive of the group left is too big a test of her self-esteem. And you're right, her self-image issues makes her even more unattractive. Nervous is understandable, a little intimidated is also understandable... But she is almost unbearable!

She seems clearly hung up on her looks. When she went from bemoaning the fact that she wasn't as pretty as some of the other girls, to sniffling over the fact that she's never had a boyfriend. Well... Someone needs to tell her to focus less on her faults and more on her better qualities as a person (although I imagine she's been told this before).

One thing that Jen L has shown me for sure - as much as I (and a lot of other guys, I imagine) am a complete knob around women I'm attracted to, there are women out there who evidently do the same thing.

Score more points for team testosterone!

S.

Posted by rechauffe on 03-24-04 at 01:40 PM

Jen L doesn't have self-esteem problems or self-image "issues." She simply commented in a very authentic and touching and realistic way about her physical appearance, in relation to our culture's current view of what is physically attractive. I heard her express her wish that others' models of attractiveness could encompass more than the narrow range of criteria into which she does not fall.

Good self-esteem is not about having grandiose beliefs that one is extremely and extraordinarily above-average. It's about having a flexible and realistic view of one's strengths and weaknesses. I think Jen has this. You didn't hear her discuss her views on her personality or her intelligence or her social skills, and she's certainly superior on these dimensions.

I laughed at the recommendation that Jen L see a therapist to resolve her "image issues." Have you read any of the message boards for the show and seen how she is being vilified for her appearance? It's not Jen who needs to see a therapist.

Posted by DRONES on 03-24-04 at 07:50 AM
She's definately a nice girl and would not be surprised if she has a number of male friends. I can see why she would have a hard time with relationships. She looks about as nervous as a bad girl sitting in the front row at church. She needs to calm down. I've dated girls like her before I got married and she has needy written all over her. She would do everything to soon and to often. Constant calling and tagging along and not allowing the guy a chance to breath. Not calling her for a second date would constitute breaking up with her. She would take it hard and cry a lot.

That's the negative, now for the positive...

Underneath all of that jitteriness is good personality. There's a girl there who will make a great girlfriend and eventual wife. She needs to get into therapy and see a relationship expert to help her to learn how to relax a little bit. Learn how to let her personality out a little at a time so as not to overwhelm the poor guy.

A visit to Extreme Makeover wouldn't hurt either.

DRONES

Posted by rechauffe on 03-24-04 at 01:45 PM

"I can see why she would have a hard time with relationships. She looks about as nervous as a bad girl sitting in the front row at church. She needs to calm down. I've dated girls like her before I got married and she has needy written all over her. She would do everything to soon and to often. Constant calling and tagging along and not allowing the guy a chance to breath. Not calling her for a second date would constitute breaking up with her. She would take it hard and cry a lot."

I think you may be assuming way too much and projecting your history with "girls" onto Jen and all her relationships.

Perhaps her jitters and anxiety are about the CAMERA, and she's not that way when they're not there.

Just something to consider....

Posted by DRONES on 03-25-04 at 05:28 AM
I've considered....and reject your premiss.
I'm not assuming anything but drawing a reasonable conclusion based on her current behavior and my own experience. I should add that my experience is not with "girls", but "women" like Jen L. The use of the term girls was done out of context on my part.

DRONES

Posted by Scottt on 03-29-04 at 10:20 PM
"She looks about as
>nervous as a bad girl
>sitting in the front row
>at church."

I know she is nervous and all, but not at church. Her father is a RABBI AT MY TEMPLE!

I can only imagine what his sermon will be this year at holiday services!

-Scott
P.S. I know her personally.

Posted by ohiofan15 on 03-31-04 at 01:13 PM
>"She looks about as
>>nervous as a bad girl
>>sitting in the front row
>>at church."
>
>I know she is nervous and
>all, but not at church.
> Her father is a
>RABBI AT MY TEMPLE!
>
>I can only imagine what his
>sermon will be this year
>at holiday services!
>
>-Scott
>P.S. I know her personally.

Scott how is Jen doing? I don't know her personally, but I really thought she would come be the last woman standing, due to her personality and all.....

How is she doing? Bet she isn't having trouble getting dates now with all the exposure...

Thanks

OH

Posted by Loree on 03-24-04 at 01:59 PM
I don't believe Jen L should be on this show. It has nothing to do with her looks. She is too emotional for this. People have to realize that when they go on any reality show they are going to be criticized and they have to be strong emotionally to take it. Jen seemed to be apolgetic from the moment she got there. She is insecure and this is not the place for anyone that is insecure and has their feelings hurt easily. The best thing for her would have been if Adam sent her home the first night. The longer she stays the more hurt she will be when she leaves. She does latch on to people too quickly. I have a cousin like this. She scared guys away with her clinginess. I hated introducing her to guys because they would always phone me after to ask me to get her to back off. She latched on to any guy that showed any interest in her and thought he was the "love of her life". Jen L reminds me of my cousin. She needs to be reassured too often. And that gets tiring.

Posted by rechauffe on 03-24-04 at 03:09 PM
Again, I think you're extrapolating *way* too much from just a short excerpt. We don't know that she "latches on to people too quickly," any more that we do about any of the other women. She's showing a good level of emotional security by being able to verbalize her feelings, while the other women are showing their insecurity by being catty and hostile to their fellow contestants. Jen's never been shown requesting reassurance from anyone.

If Jen truly were excessively emotional or insecure, I'd think that the other women would be making comments about that. Instead, we're seeing them saying that she's fun and likeable. She's also extremely articulate, which is why she's getting such airtime.

Posted by escapedude on 03-24-04 at 03:16 PM
<<Perhaps her jitters and anxiety are about the CAMERA, and she's not that way when they're not there. >>

That is doubtful!

Posted by freakusmaximus on 03-25-04 at 11:24 AM
I appreciate everyone's responses. Yes I have 20 minutes of free time to describe Jen's insecurities just like someone has 20 minutes of their time to bash me - for all you know I could be ADAM!

I really liked the comparison with Lionel Ritchie's daughter - it shows there is hope but that Jen L just has no taste. She should find out who does Ritchie's makeup and maybe get a dark tan like Soul Man. Alternatively she could do extreme makeover as some of you have suggested.

Does she have a shot of winning this show? Or maybe being the loser that everybody likes who one day gets her own show? I don't think so.

It would be nice to see NBC dress her and do her makeup so that she feels better about herself and then maybe if NBC organized a Cinderella date for her where Adam pulls up in a horse-drawn carriage and fits her into a glass slipper.

Maybe at midnight, instead of everything going away and turning into pumpkins they will turn Adam into David Daskal, oops I mean Daaaaaavid Daaaaaskal, and he and Jen L. will ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after.

Better yet - m

Posted by ohiofan15 on 03-25-04 at 02:29 PM
>I appreciate everyone's responses. Yes I have 20 minutes of
>free time to describe Jen's insecurities just like someone has
>20 minutes of their time to bash me - for all you know I could
>be ADAM!

Good point! as one of the few NOT bashing Jen I appreciate your thoughts and agree about the date that would be awesome!
>

Awesome points!

Posted by PC452 on 03-25-04 at 03:55 PM
I'm new to this board, but I think you all are kinda cruel. What has Jen L done to anyone? She has not put any of the other girls down, she's just a little nervous, clumsy, and a little socially awkward. But what is wrong with that? Their are alot of people who are socially awkward, nervous, or have issues with self-confidence. Some of you say she needs therapy, I think you all are sorely overexaggerating who she is. Even though, she probably won't get picked as Adam's love, I don't see her doing anything drastic or becoming severly depressed like suggested above. You all say she might gone overboard with somethings that she has done, but don't we all go overboard at some point or another with somethings in life, that we may regret or sometimes they get us things we want. There have been flaws with all of the girls that have been eliminated so far and the ones that will be elminated, no of them will be perfect, their not supposed to be.

For Example,

Why did Elizabeth W, get elminated, she seemed pretty cool even though she was little old (I would've given her chance)?

What about the other two women that were kinda portly that got axed on the first show?

And I think everyone knows about Brittany D. by know

I still don't see what is so bad about Jen L., she may not be the bombshell or even the most average person of the group, but so what. Like you all said, she is cheerful, not catty, energetic (seemingly always upbeat), accomdating, and funny- those great qualities for anyone to have.

Posted by freakusmaximus on 03-25-04 at 04:25 PM
I suppose if I was Jen L's MOM I would say the same. Come on now "PC452" is obviously Swahili for "Mrs. Lifshitz"

Posted by escapedude on 03-25-04 at 09:29 PM
>>>I still don't see what is so bad about Jen L., she may not be the bombshell or even the most average person of the group, but so what. Like you all said, she is cheerful, not catty, energetic (seemingly always upbeat), accomdating, and funny- those great qualities for anyone to have. >>

Great ..So why dont you date her then PC..!

ps.welcome to the boards..!

Posted by PC452 on 03-26-04 at 02:50 PM
<<<Great ..So why dont you date her then PC..!>>>

I would if I knew her, and I'm kinda already seeing someone.

Posted by Scottt on 03-29-04 at 10:22 PM
a-hole.
my gosh!
if you knew her, you would NOT be saying this!

Posted by PC452 on 03-30-04 at 11:44 AM
Oh really!!!

Posted by Traces on 03-30-04 at 05:47 PM
Well, I'm going to miss her. She was my favorite.

"You know, that might be the answer - to act boastfully about something we ought to be ashamed of. That's a trick that never seems to fail." -Lieutenant Colonel Korn

Posted by mrc on 03-31-04 at 01:21 PM
Dude, the "blue peeps" will tear you a new one (no pun intended) for that kind of language. You might want to read the board guidelines.

"The hair thingy"
Posted by joannie on 03-26-04 at 04:12 PM
Did anyone else notice during the last Rose Ceremony, Jennifer L was nervously playing with another girl's hair (I can't remember who, but they didn't seem to mind!) Strange nervous condition, or what?

"RE: The hair thingy"
Posted by mrc on 03-26-04 at 04:21 PM
I caught that, too! What would compel her to do that, and why would the other girl let her? Strange, strange, strange!

Posted by freakusmaximus on 03-26-04 at 06:06 PM
Did you notice that her fingers were in a backwards L position during said hair fondling. Even when she touches other women's hair, she seems to like to call herself a loser - or remind herself that she is "Jen L"

Posted by jenjen819 on 03-26-04 at 06:45 PM
While i thought it was inappropriate to do on tv, it is a thing girlfriends do to each other. Stroke their hair when nervous or as a calming affectionate gesture.

Ok for Sorority Girls, but weird for Avg. Joe.

Posted by mrc on 03-29-04 at 01:52 PM
This begs the question: why didn't the AJs stroke each other's hair when they were nervous? I think guys, especially frat boys, need a little more calming affection in stressful situations.

(snicker)

Posted by ladro on 03-29-04 at 10:53 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-29-04 AT 10:55 PM (EST)

Because Zachass and Adam are balding, not that there is anything wrong with that. In fact there is scientific evidence that slightly balding men are more virlie.

edited to add: IMHO

Posted by niteowl on 03-28-04 at 11:42 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-04 AT 11:44 PM (EST)

this was a reply to freakusmaximus...sorry jenjen

thanks for making me laugh out loud alone in a dark room! (okay, i do that a lot, but this time i was reading your post)

Posted by freakusmaximus on 03-29-04 at 11:50 AM
thanks for the feedback niteowl. but we both should thank lifshitz for all the good laughs. THANKS LIFSHITZ!

Posted by PC452 on 03-29-04 at 10:53 PM
Finally you all can shut up about Jennifer Lifshitz

Posted by Jacki on 03-30-04 at 09:34 AM
I was a bit sad to see Jennifer L go but I expected it. She has never had a boyfriend and would be a good choice for extreme makeover. She is such a nice person and needs a chance to have some semblance of life with the opposite sex and feel good about herself and not feel so self-concious about her looks. I enjoyed her on the show and I am glad she at least received some exposure.

"information"
Posted by dawsonleery on 03-30-04 at 09:51 AM
Jennifer L. from Buffalo Grove IL, was on the radio this morning.....wtmx.com said she knew who wins, and all the girls are really good friends. She also said that she was a student at the University of Michigan, and would be in town this weekend. Eric and Kathy told her that if she said where her and her friends would be, they would announce it on the radio.

I just figured for all those soft-hearted people, who are in the chicago area that are interested in Jennifer....she might be around this weekend.

peace,

-dawsonleery