URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 421
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Lost puzzle"

Posted by FesterFan1 on 01-30-06 at 04:49 PM
I’ve thought about this “Lost” fatigue amongst us that seems to be prevalent during Season 2, and I’ve come to a conclusion about it. “Lost” is very much like a puzzle. If you aren’t the sort of person who enjoys a good puzzle…I mean really enjoys a good puzzle…you know, where you stay up until the wee hours putting the thing together, then you’ll likely get tired of it eventually…if you haven’t already.

If you do find yourself bored with the show, it’s not a character flaw. Patience may be a virtue, but it’s not a requirement for what is, really, optional entertainment. There are plenty of shows that I’m told I should love that I just plain don’t like. I don’t think it makes me shallow or obtuse, it just means that I choose to entertain myself differently. Choosing to spend your Wednesday evenings a different way is a totally valid choice. All I’m trying to do is give the perspective of someone who isn’t the least bored with this show.

To flesh this metaphor out some, think about how most people put puzzles together. The first thing that usually comes together is the border or frame. Generally, there is a feeling of achievement during this early part of a puzzle. Things take shape. You see how big the puzzle really is. You feel like you’re getting somewhere with it. Then it’s done, and you realize that you’ve only really just done the basic outline of the thing and there’s a whole lot left to finish.

Season 1 was the “Lost” puzzle border. It established the universe of “Lost”. It introduced the principals and gave us a format as to how we would learn about them. It revealed that there is always much more beneath the surface, both in what we see and what we haven’t yet seen. We thought we were going somewhere and we’d understand the whole business by the middle of Season 2.

That, as you all know by now, isn’t going to happen. We’ve gotten to the point where we’re starting to sort pieces to see where they fit…in general. We keep wanting to see the whole image, or at least some confirmation that the whole image is knowable in the relatively near future…y’know, like next week, perhaps? There were some really compelling storylines set up, and now we want some goldarn resolution. Pronto! However, there are just simply too many pieces to sift through before we can really put some sections of this puzzle together completely, or even completely enough that we can know definitively what it is.

It doesn’t help when there are episodes like last week’s, where there wasn’t a whole lot of exposition on questions we already have. There was a lot of negative reaction to it, most of it understandable. Personally, I had a different take on it. To me, that episode was like a piece that you can’t place based on its characteristics alone. It still serves a purpose…you can’t finish the puzzle without it…but it isn’t immediately useful. You look at it and say “what the hell am I supposed to do with this piece?” And then you put it off to the side. When the puzzle becomes clearer and the time comes, you think back and say “oh yeah, that’s where that piece goes”. If that sort of exercise isn’t fun for you, then “Lost” will probably frustrate more than satisfy. You’ll probably go weeks at a time thinking that the show hasn’t delivered anything and walk away from it annoyed that you’ve invested all this time for nothing.

I still have faith that the creators of the show know what they’re doing. Who knows, 4 seasons from now, I could be Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive only to be extremely disappointed, but I have faith. This show is likely to pattern what it’s like to put together a big puzzle. There will be times when there’s a flurry of pieces that all go together to complete a section. There will be times when there’s a piece that links two or more completed sections. However, there will be times when you just can’t see the connection with the piece we’ve been given for that week, or that the piece just begs a dozen more questions. I think, in the end, all will be revealed. I just hope that the final image isn't dogs playing poker.

Fester

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"This?"
Posted by mrc on 01-30-06 at 05:40 PM
is beautiful. I nominate it for post of the decade (well, for Lost forum, at least).

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

"RE: This?"
Posted by michel on 01-30-06 at 07:17 PM
Good comparison Fester. I'd just point out that the numbers were too prevalent in season #1 to be just part of the frame. It seemed they would be the centerpiece. Now, nothing. It could be that if the interest goes down too much after more episodes like last week, they would have to rush the ending before being cancelled. I know that is still far off but things change quickly.

"RE: This?"
Posted by volsfan on 01-31-06 at 10:03 AM
I love the "puzzle" look at Lost! Fester you have done a great job explaining!

Michel, just because something was given to us in season 1 doesn't mean it HAS to be part of the border. When working on puzzles I have been known to put some of the center pieces together...the ones that you just know fit in!

The thing that I have noticed from last season to this one is that the writing has taken a much more slow down approach. I think the writers were wanting to really WOW everyone right off the bat. Now that it is such a huge hit they think they can slow things down and drag it out.

The thing about the numbers was a big part of season one but if you go back and look they were mentioned in different episodes but not every single one. Also, I think the numbers are about to be brought back into the picture...unless TV Guide is wrong the repeat show for this week is from season one...Hurley and the numbers episode!

"RE: The Lost puzzle"
Posted by AugustGirl on 01-30-06 at 08:11 PM
I like the puzzle metaphor, Fester. As someone who was truly disappointed in last week's episode your take on it makes me feel better as to the purpose of the episode.

In fact, I'm putting Fire + Water in the pile with the other indeterminate, non-identifable puzzle pieces. It will probably be the very last piece put in, but it will fit.

It's an Arkie.

Posted by LozengeofLove on 01-31-06 at 07:43 AM
I'm not upset that pieces of the puzzle aren't fitting together yet. I love working on puzzles! I'm angry that the quality of writing has gone way down this season, especially with the Michael, Locke, Hurley and now Charlie episodes. I just have the feeling this show puts too many pieces in the puzzle box in hopes of making it take much more time to solve than it ought to.

But I'm not giving up. I, too, have faith, except mine is that the writers will dish out some quality episodes over the course of the season, or even next season (hell, I'm even giving Nip/Tuck another shot after an awful third season because the first two were so amazing.)

Handcrafted by RollDDice

Posted by skeetergirl87 on 01-31-06 at 04:10 PM
In Lost, Faith seems to be a big theme. Maybe as Lost viewers, we also need to have faith that in time all will be revealed. I really like all of the mysteries. If we knew everything, the program would either really suck or it would be over. I'm not ready for either one. I like the fact that there's more going on than meets the eye rather than have it be a totally predicatable show like most of the other stuff on TV.

Posted by J I M B O on 02-01-06 at 03:54 PM

Wonderful analogy. Makes me view the last couple eps differently. You know how some puzzles have a ton of blue sky? Not much to go on. Not very interesting. But still necessary in the long run.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-01-06 at 05:19 PM
Great analogy, Fester! I agree, it's a lot like a puzzle that requires a lot of time and patience to finally get all the pieces together. You can't make sense of a puzzle if you don't have all of the pieces in place in the first place.

Would we enjoy CSI, for example, if the murderer was revealed to us in the first 15 minutes of the show? Would we watch Survivor if it was shown clearly during the show's airing after 15 minutes who the bootee that week would be?

The only trouble I have with this puzzle of Lost is what if enough people decide they have had enough of trying to decipher the puzzle before everything falls into place, and the show gets cancelled? Twin Peaks was a good example where the show ended earlier than expected and too many questions were still left unanswered.

Check out my Survivor Guatemala Finale episode summary

A Tribe siggie
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

Posted by Buggy on 02-01-06 at 07:48 PM
Wonderful!
That Fester is so smart, and exactly right in this case.
I haven't lost patience in the story at all yet. Though last weeks episodes wasn't one of my favorites, I still want to know ( need to know) what's next.
If the story unfolds slowly, that's okay for me, because I don't want a puzzle that is so quick and easy that it's dissapointing.
If they wrapped up the story too quickly, I think many of us would feel cheated.
I'm not the type that reads the end of a book first, in fact if I really love a story, I'll read it slowly and savor it.

I think part of the problem is that people don't sit still and put together puzzles much anymore, it's unfamilier.
It's an instant gratification world now. People want everything instantly, even their entertainment. We aren't a patient society.
But I like puzzles, and strories that unfold slowly.
I'm still with it.

Thanks Fester!
I love your perspective on things.

Posted by FesterFan1 on 02-02-06 at 12:12 PM
If the Bug agrees, I must be on to something. You and me against the world, babe.

Fester

Posted by true on 02-02-06 at 10:50 AM
Ok, I'll admit it right now. I am not a puzzle person. In fact, I hate puzzles. Having said that, I'm afraid you're giving the creators and the network too much credit. Even though I hate puzzles, I am patient, and I love smart programming. However, I am wise enough to realize that patience and smart programming are two things that never turn out well on network tv.

Shows that actually require the viewer to think are usually cancelled within weeks. Some of these shows that actually catch on, usually end up being strected beyond the original ideas and outlines due to network interference or an impatient viewing public. The network wants to milk all the hype and popularity NOW NOW NOW, and most times, that means the creators and writers are pressured into making the shows BIGGER, BETTER, FASTER.

This never works. Long term plotlines are sped up to satisfy in the short term, and it alwasy fvcks up the long term vision of these shows.

There is no way I believe that the creators of Lost had specific, long term, stories fleshed out before the show aired. So, there is A LOT of making stuff up on the fly in order to satisfy the demands placed on these instant hits.
Shows of the past, that started out slow and built up over a few seasons are things of the past. Unless a show is an instant hit, it gets cancelled. This is what is killing scripted TV, IMO. These instant hits can't possibly live up to the early hype, and they usually end up pulling all kinds of stupid stunts trying.

"True is the Jack to my Locke"
Posted by FesterFan1 on 02-02-06 at 12:10 PM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the whole Lost plan. I think they have large story arcs planned out way in advance. I think they know the answers to the BIG questions and are just pacing out the answers. However, I do think that they try to respond to viewer annoyance and then try to adjust. Unfortunately, and ironically I might add, these episodes where they attempt to reveal something earlier than planned never really satisfy anyone. They don't reveal enough to satisfy the "Now, Now, NOW" crowd and they seem out of place to the slow burn crowd.

Perhaps you're the wiser for pulling the plug now. Perhaps I'll be left with a bill of goods. In any event, I still enjoy the show as much now as I did in Season 1. I don't want them to change anything, really, except perhaps to quit with the Jack and Kate backstories and give some other folks some run.

Fester

"RE: True is the Jack to my Locke"
Posted by true on 02-02-06 at 01:23 PM
Oh no, don't get me wrong. I'll keep watching, I always do...lol. I love the show, and until 24 came back with a bang this season, I'd call it my favorite. Honestly, I hope the creators resist the pressure to deliver too soon. But, I won't be suprised if it ends up like Twin Peaks.

Posted by dragonflies on 02-04-06 at 02:57 PM
I will be so sad if that happens. I loved Twin Peaks early on. But it left a bad taste in my mouth at the end.

Unfortunately, I have heard quite a few comparisons between Lost & Twin Peaks, both here and IRL. Hope they don't end in the same manner.

I do love the puzzle analogy.

Posted by PackMan on 02-02-06 at 05:02 PM
I agree with you. I think the story arcs are well planned. Some details have to be adjusted along the way, but they are sticking to the master plan. I'm more than wiling to be patient and see how it all unfolds.

I think if the writers stick to their plan of 4-5 seasons, the show will be able to maintain it's stride. But if the execs get greedy and try to keep it going, it will get stale.

Personally, I like how the show is being handled to this point, except for the constant breaks between new episodes. I think the clues are all being given, much like you compare to the pieces of a puzzle. I also think that there are many clues that may seem insignificant until you see the link later in the story. This is exactly why I will watch the Season 2 DVD when it comes out, to go back and see those clues revealed in a different context.

I only worry that a key actor decides to leave before their character's story arc is intended to be completed. In that case, the writers may have to really scramble to perform a re-fit. This is related to the reason why I don't think Jack is as big a character in the overall answer to the big question about Lost. The writers originally planned to kill him off in the first episode, but the execs wanted to keep him around. I wonder where Jack really fits in this puzzle.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it again? - Anonymous

"24 vs Lost"
Posted by michel on 02-02-06 at 05:42 PM
True bringing up 24 as her other favorite show made me realize that those 2 shows are polar opposites. Even if I prefer Lost, I do like both. In 24 everything has to happen NOW: A hostage crisis is resolved within 1 hour so that wasn't the main plot. It was russian rebels wanting to carry the nerve gas to Moscow and destroy the city. No that's not it, some radical americans had infiltrated the administration and wanted to destroy the Russian rebels. But wait, the rebels have now turned that against the US... And if last season's an indication then some CTU employees will get promoted, fired, tortured, reinstated and then killed all in one day while still having time to care for their loved ones! Oh! and the ex-president was killed!

Can you say TOO MUCH.

I prefer Fester's puzzle but I'm worried that we'll find out some important pieces don't fit or were cut up at the last minute to force them together.

"RE: 24 vs Lost"
Posted by true on 02-02-06 at 05:54 PM
I agree, completely opposite, but still the fastest moving two hours on TV.

One thing Lost could learn from 24 is the uniterupted airing format. Nothing kills a show like repeat after repeat. If the networks weren't so concerned about stretching the season out to cover every sweeps period, it would be much, much better.

I prefer Fester's puzzle but I'm worried that we'll find out some important pieces don't fit or were cut up at the last minute to force them together.

It happens every time. The thing with this show is all the hidden clues, some are significant to the plot, some are unintentional, and others are thrown in just for kicks. I'm afraid there is NO WAY this show can live up to the expectations, of mysteries being answered in a way that will satisfy the more than casual fan.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 02-03-06 at 10:46 AM
Geez how can I possibly agree with both True and Fester at the same time without going bonkers. But yet I do.

I have read that the creators of Lost had a pretty good idea of the beginning, middle and end of the story. And expected to tell it in about 4 seasons. Now that it's such a hit they may be dragging it out and the dragging is giving us some poor epi's.

And 24? Well, 24 rocks!

Posted by Fishercat on 02-03-06 at 08:22 PM
I am kind of stunned that a lot of networks don't adopt the format that 24 has taken, at least for established shows. There are 52 weeks in a year, and even if you have 20-24 episodes in a season, that's half a year. You can show the new season from January to June, and if you want to get your money's worth and new fans, re-air them in order over July to December. That would certainly help first year and middle-tier (ratings), and struggling shows to gain the fanbase which has nothing better to watch and will now check out the critically acclaimed show or the one all their friends love.

So many shows (good ones too) have been killed by 4 new episodes, 2 weeks off, a one week move to Friday, then back to Monday for 2 new episodes and 4 weeks off.

At least for Season 3 and 4, they should have an idea of what their ratings will be for sweeps purposes. I can see the traditional schedule for big time shows with people who don't care or newer shows to test, but for shows like 24, they can afford not to.

Bob Factoid: The fishercat is the only creature known to have gone completely insane chasing its own tail.

Posted by Tahj on 02-03-06 at 01:31 PM
Using the puzzle metaphor makes me think of the "X-Files." The major arc of the story took years to complete. What I loved about the show was that they were able to depart from the main story and still come up with extremely interesting and entertaining episodes in between, for the most part.

Lost lacks this ability because they are limited in what they can do. I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, but when Lost sucks, it really sucks.

The problem I have with the puzzle metaphor, although it is a good one, is that I don't have any choice in which part of the puzzle I get to focus on, or when I do and don't get to work on it. I wonder Fester, if someone told you that you could only work on the puzzle at certain times, with sometimes weeks inbetween, and that you can only focus on the particular part you're told to, would you still be interested in putting it together? Could you continue to work on Jimbo's blue sky, for example, indefinitely, with no idea when it would be completed or when you'd get to switch? I know I couldn't.

I'm seriously beginning to think that I need to stop watching Lost now and wait for the DVDs. Having the whole puzzle in my hands with no restrictions is much more appealing to me.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by LozengeofLove on 02-06-06 at 03:23 PM
I agree 100% with you, Tahj. That's almost exactly the way I feel about the show.

Handcrafted by RollDDice

Posted by CattyChat on 02-03-06 at 03:50 PM
Wow, great analogy, Fester.

As a puzzle & good mystery lover, I have not been disappointed in any of the episodes, because I see each one as adding a little bit. I am glad the writers are very slowly taking us through this, otherwise we wouldn't get so darned anxious for the next new ep to air. It's like waiting for Christmas, waiting for the next new episode.

Anticipation is half the fun.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by pumpkinqueen on 02-06-06 at 00:32 AM
As a puzzle & good mystery lover, I have not been disappointed in any of the episodes, because I see each
one as adding a little bit. I am glad the writers are very slowly taking us through this, otherwise we wouldn't get so darned anxious for the next new ep to air. It's like waiting for Christmas, waiting for the next new episode.

i agree. i love puzzles and the puzzle analogy. i have done lots of puzzles where i have completed little sections that were not recognizable to the whole picture as i saw it, but eventually i could figure out where they fit in.

i also enjoy the character development, which may stall gratification, but gives us some clues regarding how characters will act in the future.

actually, it's a PhoenixMons

"Hey Fester!"
Posted by true on 02-09-06 at 11:01 AM
Maybe you aren't giving the Lost creators too much credit, as I thought above. From this weeks TV guide interview with Josh Holloway-

TVGYou actually filmed a different Sawyer episode that was supposed to air at the beginning of the season, but never did. What happened?

JHThe show took a good stance there. ABC was trying to mandate the story somewhat. They wanted to capitalize on (Sawyer's popularity) for the opening of the season, but that's just not where the story was. The story needed to be about Mike and (the kidnapped) Walt. So after three days of filming, (producers) pulled it. I was hurt as an actor a little, but I understood. They got back in line with the integrity of the story, and that I have huge respect for.

So, I was right that ABC would try to interfere with the storyline, but it looks like the Lost producers have enough clout right now to keep them back. I won't count them changing the story to keep the Jack character, since it was still new, but I'm sure they'll keep the pressure on as long as the show remains popular. The sad part, is I believe they'll get their way eventually, and doom the show before the true vision has a chance to play out. *sigh*

"RE: Hey Fester!"
Posted by CattyChat on 02-09-06 at 01:26 PM
You know, that is really disheartening. Why can't the network bigwigs just let the people who know what they're doing develop the show and just stay out of their way? Don't mess with what is not broken.

I sure hope they can continue to do what they want and make the idiots back down. If they ruin this show, I'll just . . . I don't know what I'd do, but it'll really tick me off.

Kind Creation of ARNutz