URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID91
Thread Number: 418
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"And now, a word from a moderator"

Posted by Bebo on 11-16-05 at 05:15 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-05 AT 10:53 PM (EST)

Please follow the forum rules as detailed in our guidelines.

- No bashing other posters. That means no criticizing posters for their negativity, no criticizing posters for being judgmental, no name calling.

- This is a threaded community - join in existing discussions instead of starting new threads. There's no need for five threads saying basically the same thing. It just makes it harder for folks to really get discussions going, since they end up repeating themselves over and over, and the existing discussions get pushed to later pages. When in doubt, join an existing discussion. If you're 99.9% sure your specific comments warrant a new thread...join an existing one anyway.

- Is someone name calling? Did someone start yet another thread about Josie and Haley not getting along? Is there anything else that you think warrants a moderator's attention? There's an alert button at the bottom of every post in unlocked threads - click on it and let a mod know. Don't assume that we're able to find that needle in this giant haystack, and don't assume someone else has already alerted it. If you think a post needs to be looked at, you hit the alert button. We'd rather get 10 alerts about a problem than none.

- This is the General Discussion Forum. Please, if you're planning to start a thread about an individual houseguest, head over to the Individual Houseguest forum, where there are a number of active discussions on the houseguests. And absolutely no spoiler discussion here - that's a bannable offense outside of the Spoiler forum.

More details about our guidelines can be found on The Help Forum, and there's a direct link to the guidelines at the top of the page.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: And now, a word from a moderator"
Posted by EnfanTerrible on 11-16-05 at 06:58 PM
Thank you bebo. I know we are like herding cats sometimes.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 11-16-05 at 08:42 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-05 AT 08:43 PM (EST)

Hmmmm. Where have we heard THAT before?

*looks up*

ETA: Thanks, Bebo.

Posted by OklaBlue on 01-06-06 at 11:43 PM
Bump

Posted by placoe1950 on 11-17-05 at 12:44 PM
I have never done one of these forums before so I don't know what a thread means or how to "join" a discussion. Help!

Posted by Bebo on 11-17-05 at 02:06 PM
You just joined into a discussion on an existing thread when you replied to my message. Looks like you're doing just fine.

Posted by Kyle on 11-17-05 at 06:15 PM
Yeah, don't bash the new people. We're just learning, and I, too, don't know what a thread is. Is "replying" ok?

Posted by Amalfi coast girl on 11-17-05 at 06:18 PM
>Yeah, don't bash the new people.
> We're just learning, and
>I, too, don't know what
>a thread is. Is
>"replying" ok?

Each topic that is started is called a thread. I hope that helped.

"This thread already needs a..."
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 11-17-05 at 04:40 PM
Bump.

"RE: This thread already needs a..."
Posted by Denalio on 11-20-05 at 05:18 AM
another bump!

Please make sure you if you are starting a new thread that there isn't already an existing thread JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU WANT TO START...

And please make sure you are looking in the right section! The Starting Over Board has different sections for General Discussion, Individual houseguests and Spoilers!

All of the moderators are volunteers and I am afraid the SO forums are burning them out.

I say, LURK AND LEARN! I know this show has people excited, but take your time before you post to make sure you are in compliance with the rules!

Just trying to keep things nice and tidy and give the poor moderators a break!

Thanks to all the blue peeps...

"RE: This thread already needs a..."
Posted by sharnina on 01-27-06 at 01:44 PM
Thanks for that advice Denalio. I l"urked and learned "for about three weeks before I mustered up the courage to join. I hope I don't make any mistakes that will get me banned and I totally agree with all the rules. They only make common sense and wouldn't it be cool if some people actually followed these rules out in the real world.

Hmmm...

Posted by Amalfi coast girl on 11-17-05 at 06:07 PM
>- This is the General Discussion
>Forum. Please, if you're
>planning to start a thread
>about an individual houseguest, head
>over to the Individual Houseguest
>forum, where there are a
>number of active discussions on
>the houseguests. And absolutely
>no spoiler discussion here -
>that's a bannable offense outside
>of the Spoiler forum.

I thought it was worth bringing to everyone's attention that many of the locked posts on this board today have been on the wrong forum. Just an FYI.

Posted by smackermack on 11-18-05 at 03:48 PM
This should have a permanant bump to the front page of this forum.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 11-19-05 at 02:17 PM
Agreed. The current software doesn't allow that, but the board owner is considering an upgrade that would allow just such a capability. But it would involve taking the boards down for a couple weeks.

Posted by dabo on 11-21-05 at 02:33 AM
oh, but we'd all so much miss out on all this bumping fun

SMILES ARE FREE

Posted by mrc on 11-21-05 at 02:45 PM
Webby, is that you?

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
I'm starting to wonder . . .

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 11-28-05 at 10:17 AM
Sssshhhh! You wanna blow my cover?

"Got questions?"
Posted by Bebo on 11-21-05 at 11:22 PM
A number of them are answered here:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID57/2211.shtml

"RE: Got questions?"
Posted by speechprof on 11-21-05 at 11:38 PM
Bebo,

Thanks for this and all you do for this board!!

Posted by Zhenya32 on 11-22-05 at 07:54 PM
Is the thread on "Mistakes SO has made" locked? Why? I think that is a very different discussion than the link that is on there to what you would get each individual girl for Christmas if you could.

I thought it was a really interesting thread...

Posted by OklaBlue on 01-26-06 at 10:47 PM
ditto to all

"Couple of reminders"
Posted by Bebo on 11-23-05 at 10:39 PM
This is the General Discussion forum. If you wish to discuss one particular houseguest, please post in the Individual Houseguest forum instead.

Do not post a message - either on a thread such as this one or as a new thread - asking why a particular thread was locked. This is a violation of section XIII of the guidelines. A general explanation on why threads are commonly locked can be found here:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=2211&forum=DCForumID57&omm=0

If an explanation isn't posted on the thread, the most likely reason is because it would put the locked thread back at the top of the forum, ahead of the open discussions, and that would just keep the vicious cycle going.

"RE: Couple of reminders"
Posted by mhb0125 on 11-25-05 at 00:54 AM
I have a question. Went to the post about when and where SO airs in your area. The city it airs (also where I reside) was changed to ###### but others put their city, state the same way and it didn't change. Why?

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 11-25-05 at 06:35 AM
Since this is more of a tech question, it might be better asked in the Help Forum, or by contacting Bebo or another mod. I've noticed it too, with the city name "Arlington", for example. (Press "reply with quote" to see my workaround.)

But I can assure you it was nothing you did.

"Give me liberty . . . or a bran muffin!" --Colin Mochrie, "Whose Line"

Posted by mhb0125 on 11-26-05 at 07:11 PM
I had assumed that maybe it did that because where I live is not a big metropolis like Dallas/Fort Worth or LA. Thanks though!!!

"No spoilers, please"
Posted by Bebo on 11-26-05 at 12:49 PM
Do not post information on the General Discussion forum that has not yet aired on the show. This information should only be posted and discussed on the Spoilers forum. Posting it in a non-spoiler forum is a violation of our community guidelines and can lead to the termination of your posting privileges.

Posted by Snidget on 12-08-05 at 06:38 PM
bump back up to the top

Posted by OklaBlue on 01-09-06 at 09:39 AM
Bump for new posters to read

Posted by olemiss4192 on 12-08-05 at 06:45 PM
Could you please tell me what the word bump means. I see it all over. Thank you for you time and hard work.

"Definition of a "bump""
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 12-08-05 at 11:16 PM
When anyone posts to a specific topic, the topic gets "bumped" to the top of the first page.

Only certain threads like these from the mods should be bumped without additional content.

Hope that helps!

"RE: Definition of a "bump""
Posted by mhb0125 on 12-08-05 at 11:23 PM
I will probably be bashed for this, but I find it particularly annoying when someone replies to someone's message and they feel the need to copy and paste the previous person's entire message. Isn't that what reply button is for? I can understand copy and pasting a sentence or phrase, but NOT the WHOLE thing!!! Why is this allowed? It takes up so much room. Thank you!!!!

"Excellent point"
Posted by Bebo on 12-08-05 at 11:30 PM
We don't have a guideline specifically forbidding it, but you're right - it really is bad form to use Reply With Quote to duplicate a long, long post and then only add a short sentence of your own.

It does make it a lot easier on your fellow posters to understand what you're trying to say when you remove the extra lines and just include the specific point to which you're referring.

There's only so much we can do to force courtesy on these forums - at some point, we just have to rely on posters to do the right thing.

"RE: Excellent point"
Posted by mhb0125 on 12-09-05 at 03:41 AM
Thank you for replying in such a timely manner!!! I really do appreciate all the work that you do. I love watching Starting Over and enjoy coming to the message boards to add my opinions or to vent over something silly. I'm glad that the moderators are very strict with the personal attacks and bashing. Keep up the good work!!! Oh, do you all actually watch all the shows?

"RE: Excellent point"
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 12-09-05 at 11:28 AM
I'll have to let Bebo answer whether she watches SO (I'm not a mod, just helping out). She does watch a lot of reality shows, as do most of the mods. Me? Not so much.

Many of the articles on the front page of the site are written by the mods under their pen names, so obviously they've watched those shows.

"bump"
Posted by Snidget on 12-10-05 at 09:00 AM

"RE: bump"
Posted by Cygnus X1 on 01-13-06 at 00:44 AM

"RE: bump"
Posted by OklaBlue on 01-24-06 at 01:41 AM
LOL

"Bump"
Posted by universityofkentuckyrocks on 01-28-06 at 11:22 AM

Posted by mysticwolf on 02-02-06 at 02:19 AM
bump