URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 4178
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Cast announcement & TAR increases first prize: $1,000,000 -- "

Posted by Estee on 08-21-12 at 12:09 PM
-- each. Because in this economy, $500,000 and a lifetime of immortalized humiliation just doesn't go as far as it used to.

(In response, Big Brother is expected to announce that from this moment on, the hamsters pay rent.)

So we've got Racers. We have reality DAWs again -- although thankfully not the team of Hantz & Donato, who've been pushing CBS to let them on. (It's the Fabulous Beekman Boys. I have no idea who they are.) We have Chippendales and I swear that anyone who does a simultaneous drool over them while bashing any female on the course who dares to show skin below the neck is going to suffer from a very rare injury: double standard whiplash. We have a heavy metal artist and his manager. We have monster truck drivers. And we have a total failure on this computer's part to load the CBS page, so anyone who can manage it and wants to post the full listing is welcome to: http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tWXSyNDz5Rw for the starting line commercial footage.

We also have a potential reschedule. CBS announced that in order to make it easier on NFL teams with afternoon games, start times for the second shift will be pushed back ten minutes. Guess what this does to the primetime lineup.

Right. And last year, CBS acknowledged the average TAR episode was stalled out by twenty-seven minutes. So rather than, say, moving it to a more honesty-friendly night, they're considering pushing all the Sunday night programs back by fifteen minutes so as to make life that much more of a lie for your DVR. Whee. Save those Emails and online petitions, people: Goodell doesn't care.

We know who's running. Parts of the Internet have good ideas on where. 'Why' is usually a lock. And 'when'...

...kiss 'when' goodbye.

I'm thisclose to just waiting five years on the Amazon burn-to-order DVD. At least I know when that's showing up.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Close"
Posted by Starshine on 08-21-12 at 02:38 PM
Actually the top prize has always been one million US dollars, in season 21 they are raising it to two million dollars .

Want to make up a team now?!

"RE: Close"
Posted by Estee on 08-21-12 at 03:29 PM
I did say 'each'. The old prize was a million split two ways.

Posted by Starshine on 08-21-12 at 03:36 PM
Mea Culpa

Posted by kidflash212 on 08-22-12 at 08:44 AM
Clearly you two would be the bickering team.

I imagine Starshine would be a great teammate, 'specially if they have a leg in England

"RE: Cast announcement & TAR increases first prize: $1,000,000 -- "
Posted by Molaholic on 08-26-12 at 05:27 PM
We also have a potential reschedule. CBS announced that in order to make it easier on NFL teams with afternoon games, start times for the second shift will be pushed back ten minutes. Guess what this does to the primetime lineup.

Right. And last year, CBS acknowledged the average TAR episode was stalled out by twenty-seven minutes. So rather than, say, moving it to a more honesty-friendly night, they're considering pushing all the Sunday night programs back by fifteen minutes so as to make life that much more of a lie for your DVR. Whee. Save those Emails and online petitions, people: Goodell doesn't care.

And yet you still bash living on the left coast...

"They lied."
Posted by Estee on 08-29-12 at 05:14 PM
It's not a standard prize increase: it's a twist. To get the doubled money, you have to win and take first place on the initial leg. So there's one team eligible to try for extra and everyone else is stuck with the usual.

Also: three continents, nine countries, and 25,000 miles? That? Is a very short course. We already know that's North America (Los Angeles), Europe, and Asia, with stops in the Netherlands (site of a Roadblock Switchback, according to CBS), Bangladesh, and Indonesia. Why the cutdown on the mileage? Saving cash in case that twist somehow worked out for the one team with a chance? CBS cutting back in order to pay off 3?

And yes, there are Chippendales. So it goes.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-amazing-race-21-cast-and-new-2-million-grand-prize-details-announced-by-cbs-13792.php

There are also three-hour episode start delays. So it will not go for some time.

"RE: They lied."
Posted by kidflash212 on 08-29-12 at 07:28 PM
I hate that twist - one team has a chance to double their winnings but the others don't? BS.

Though I find nothing wrong with Chippendales...

Posted by Estee on 08-29-12 at 08:21 PM
Nor do I. It's the advance near-certain knowledge of approaching double standards which has me fuming.

"Is this being their official photo a double standard?"
Posted by kidflash212 on 09-04-12 at 12:45 PM

Would a team of two female exotic dancers be shown in costume?

"RE: Is this being their official photo a double standard?"
Posted by Estee on 09-04-12 at 06:51 PM
Not without generating a protest letter ratio of twenty thousand to none.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 08-29-12 at 09:36 PM
How much do you want to bet that the final challenges would be rigged to favour one of the other teams if one team has a chance to double their winnings in the finale?

Posted by jbug on 08-30-12 at 10:41 AM
the team that wins the initial leg may have a target on their backs real soon. The other teams might consider them even bigger threats - they will have been a strong team to win that leg; and they will have more motivation than any other team.

Posted by Max Headroom on 08-31-12 at 08:49 AM
The first leg is a crapshoot with 11 teams competing, so this is an obvious hedge by CBS. The likelihood of having to pay double is no higher than 9.09%, and there's a good chance the leg 1 winner will be philiminated before the finale.

Posted by mikey on 09-02-12 at 11:19 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-02-12 AT 11:22 PM (EST)

My son was running the numbers of past seasons from rough memory-- thought it has happened 6 times or 30 percent of the time that team winning first leg won the whole race.

i do not know all the figures, but I suspect that the prize money is not that huge a part of the show's expenses. They get 12 episodes out of the show and have huge production costs.

Posted by byoffer on 09-06-12 at 01:58 PM
I agree that the $1M is a small part of the budget.

IMO, the show will want the team winning the first leg to make it to the end, as the chanec to have a team win $2M will get the show a lot of free advertising hype.

Would the other teams care is another team had a chance to double dip? This wouldn't take money out of their own pockets. The only thing I can see hurting the first team is just a reminder to the other teams that they can be a winning team. If another team wins ep 2 & 3, the latter would get a bigger target than the team who won ep 1.