URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 4150
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"About the "treasure"..."

Posted by clemsonbeav on 10-06-03 at 12:03 PM
Okay, I have no idea if this is being discussed anywhere else, and if it is, I'm sorry. Feel free to lock, etc.

Anyways.

Why do I not think the treasure is their clothes: Unless MB wanted people walking around in other people's clothes, he wouldn't do this. There is no way to know 1) Who will be voted out and 2) Who is going to be on which tribe, especially with all the talk about the twist, etc. Also, if they don't have the treasure found by the merge, it's bye-bye clothes. If one tribe finds it, but people have already switched tribes, there will be a few people running around in their clothes, and others falling out of their boxers. And certainly there wouldn't be a challenge with the reward being some people getting their clothes.

Would MB really be this cruel?

*thinks a second*

Okay, nevermind...

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: About the "treasure"..."
Posted by Loree on 10-06-03 at 01:45 PM
I don't think it is their clothes because we saw their bags on the boat with them. I don't think that MB would have people quickly burying the chests and clothes while the tribes are arriving on their islands. It was probably all done in advance. There could be some very generic clothing items in the chest. But I do not believe they are their clothes. More likely at the merge they will all be given a swimsuit or some other flimsy article of clothing in case people's clothes have disintegrated and are falling off. We can't have the last half of the show with everyone blurred out.

Posted by katethegreat on 10-06-03 at 02:00 PM
"We can't have the last half of the show with everyone blurred out."

This is MB, remember? But wouldn't the castaways themselves get sick of it? We only have to see their blurred naked bodies for one hour a week, but their fellow tribe members are out there 24, 7.

Anyway, kidding aside, I've thought since day one, he's GOT to give them some clothes (bathing suits, anyone? Auction? whatever . . .) eventually. I like the logic above that it can't come from the Treasure Chest. Good deduction; it probably just contains blankets, food, whiskey, or maybe real treasure like money, jewels . . .

"Auction"
Posted by Breezy on 10-06-03 at 02:03 PM
I agree clothes won't be offered until an auction occurs. The treasure chest will probably contain blankets and food just like Kate suggests.

Posted by AZ_Leo on 10-07-03 at 02:32 PM
It wouldn't need to be rushed or done at the moment of arrival. They all had matching small bags next to them while they were on the boat. Jeff also said they had more luggage below. If these small bags carried what they had originally packed for the stranding then the crew could collect them and put them in a container as soon as everyone was off the boat. The spot where they are buried would have been chosen and the maps created well before the show started. The production team then had the time the tribes were shopping, the first IC, and the first RC to bury them without worrying about a survivor seeing. They could probably do it any night as well.

Posted by Magic Fingers on 10-07-03 at 01:59 PM
I also have been lurking for a few seasons and wanted in on the fun. I noticed it said they RECOVER a treasure. Doesn't that mean it is something they had at one time?

Posted by dabo on 10-07-03 at 03:46 PM
Welcome to Blows, Magic Fingers! Glad you could join us.

While MB and company do sometimes carefully select the words they use, and deciphering exactly what they meant can be a very valuable spoiling tool, it is important to consider the context as well as the specific wording. "Recover" is a traditional term used when hidden, buried or submerged treasure is found, regardless of whether the treasure-hunter ever previously possessed that treasure.

I don't know what the treasure is, though, and you may be right about it being something they previously had. But their personal possessions which were left on the boat are the only thing I can think of, and there is also the hint that the treasure might not be all that was desired. I can't imagine any of these players being disappointed by recovering their own property.

On the other hand, whiskey is also mentioned in the same promo, and Osten sure was packing some good hootch that he had to leave behind at the start of the game, so it could be that the treasure turns out to be the double-edged sword of this here pirate story, Aye!

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Posted by 1derfool on 10-07-03 at 06:03 PM
> and there
>is also the hint that
>the treasure might not be
>all that was desired.

I keep thinking "One man's trash is another man's treasure".
The trouble is, I'm not too sure how to carry this thought farther. Is there anything that the finders could consider trash, which the other tribe would consider a treasure?

If it's something buried, it could be there for quite a while until it's uncovered, so it would almost mean nothing perishable, fragile or what might suffer the effects of groundwater. Seems pirates were quite fond of their booze, making it a perfect pirate type treasure. It's also quite likely that a bottle or two won't be hurt by being buried for a few weeks. Not the best thing to dig up if you're a stranded castaway though. This would also explain the impromptu show we're expecting (from Jon?) at the TC.

Posted by joannie on 10-07-03 at 06:11 PM
>
>I keep thinking "One man's trash
>is another man's treasure".
>The trouble is, I'm not too
>sure how to carry this
>thought farther. Is there anything
>that the finders could consider
>trash, which the other tribe
>would consider a treasure?
>

Maybe the finders get the OTHER tribe's posessions. This would explain how Drake ends up with Osten's bottle of whiskey!

Posted by hearkittykitty on 10-07-03 at 03:36 PM
These folks went through physicals prior to filming. MB probably has a good idea of size, if not an exact one from whatever questionnaires they have to fill out. There could be general type clothing - shorts, t-shirts, raincoats.

Posted by Thaibeach on 10-07-03 at 03:49 PM
in keeping with the pirate theme, the treasure may be a chest of doubloons and a boat ride back to the village to buy some supplies. (Better leave an etiquette primer and instructions on shopping for the Morons, MB.)

Posted by reddogblkcat on 10-07-03 at 04:59 PM
Newbie here. I saw a picture of Morgan that was supposedly "THE definitive proof" of what was in the treasure chest. Scuba stuff and of all things 2 pool floats! Andrew was holding a knife and had a life vest on. Osten had floats around his arms. There was at least 1 scuba tank sitting off to the side and I believe Tijuana and Darrah had masks. To me it looked 'doctored' but someone swore it wasn't. I just can't find the picture again to look at it!

Posted by MattyMax on 10-07-03 at 05:34 PM
Welcome Reddogblkcat!

Could you have seen a challenge photo? I was suckered earlier by a shot with lill wearing goggles and thought Morgan pillaged them from Drake, when really they were supplied at a challenge. The things you describe, the floats, the snorkel gear, the knife, are classic challenge props. If Osten swims as well as we think he does, then I wouldn't be suprised if in a certain shot he has floats around his arms...

Hell, you could be right.

MM

Posted by reddogblkcat on 10-08-03 at 02:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome MM!

Wish I had bookmarked the site I saw the picture on. One thing I'm sure of Lill was not in it. Tijuana and Darrah in the rear holding a float. Andrew kneeling with vest on and knife held at waist level,Osten in the middle with floats around his upper arms and Ryan O. on the right with the scuba tank close to him. Osten had one knee on the ground and one up with sand on it. Stuck with me for some reason because there was mention about him always being clean and not having sand on him. But you're right it could have been a challenge but I'm pretty sure it wasn't because Osten looked prettyyyy doofy with those floats around his arms!

"treasure = soapies?"
Posted by big idiot on 10-07-03 at 06:42 PM
TV Guide Description from Sucks
http://pub207.ezboard.com/fsurvivorsucksfrm2.showMessage?topicID=16464.topic

"Temper’s flare in one tribe when the men decide to build a shower that requires everyone to bathe out in the open. A fifth person is voted out of the tribe."

I posted a theory in thread "Ep 5 Title" about how this could mean the "slippery fun" may be in treasure chest.

"Food in the Chest"
Posted by bluebeard on 10-07-03 at 07:26 PM
At the games first reward challenge Jiffy gave the tribes a key and a shovel to keep to look for the chest. He also said inside the chest was a "bounty" to last the tribes a very long time. Possibly there is meat or spices in the chest.