URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 4142
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "

Posted by featherfish81 on 02-29-12 at 01:01 AM
I didn't catch the names, but your choices were building a solar oven and boiling water, or collecting firewood and using a donkey to transport it.

I think I would have gone with the solar oven. Though it ended up taking a long time, the donkeys could be problematic. But I've put together a lot of furniture, so I think I could do that. I wonder if there was a specified amount of water they had to add, because some of them seemed to add a lot, which would take a while to boil.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
Posted by Starshine on 02-29-12 at 07:31 AM
Hi FF, thanks for starting this up again

This was a bit of an odd one, as Estee (I think) said elsewhere based on previous seasons it was a "no-brainer" to do the solar oven task, but it appeared that the firewood task was actually quicker.

I think I would have gone with you and picked the solar oven task, although remembering some previous assembly tasks I may have had some concerns

Posted by MissMyth on 03-21-12 at 10:23 PM
I don't know why, but I was under the impression that they were at a pretty high altitude and thought that plus being so early would have made the boiling the water harder. On top of having to assemble the solar oven. So based on my (possibly mistaken) impression, I would have chosen the donkey.

"Episode 3 "
Posted by featherfish81 on 03-07-12 at 03:09 AM
This week:
Stacked Up - Stack watermelons into a pyramid
-or-
Strung Out - String a harp

I probably would have gone with Strung Out. I'm pretty decent at untangling knots, and it seemed less risky than stacking up the watermelon piles.

"RE: Episode 3 "
Posted by MissMyth on 03-21-12 at 10:11 PM
String a harp, without hesitation. They didn't have to tune the thing, just get the strings in the right holes. I know the twins made it look hard, but not as much as carrying and stacking, and re-stacking, and re-re-stacking umpteen watermelons.

"Episode 4"
Posted by featherfish81 on 03-18-12 at 08:53 PM
I know this is really late, but I've been out of town. Your choices this week were

Clean a Statue
-or-
Taste a Salami

I would definitely have gone with the statue. 14 salamis is a lot, and I know that they would all start to taste the same. Plus, you could end up eating a lot of salami, which might not go down so well.

"RE: Episode 4"
Posted by MissMyth on 03-21-12 at 10:09 PM
Definitely clean a statue. Not gonna do a food challenge unless there's no other choice.

Posted by featherfish81 on 03-20-12 at 00:47 AM
Walk a path and then decorate a gingerbread house

-or-

Style a man's beard

Knowing how hard it is to style my own hair, I definitely would have gone with the gingerbread houses. You don't have to make things defy gravity doing that.

Posted by MissMyth on 03-20-12 at 01:57 PM
At least the beard styling was inside where it was warm. That would have influenced my decision, but I don't know if the contestants had that information when they had to choose. I've been trying to decide if I would have thought, like the Jersey boys, that longer hair would be easier.

Posted by TWoman on 03-20-12 at 02:38 PM
I think I would have assumed that everyone had the same beard style to do, so longer hair might make have made it easier to work with. (I know from putting my daughter's hair in a bun that it is much easier when it's longer). I'm not sure the Jersey boys realized that the beard style depended on the man chosen.

Posted by kidflash212 on 03-20-12 at 02:38 PM
It would depend if my partner had any experience with styling hair. I keep my hair really short and can't grow a beard, so if it were my choice alone I'd have chosen Gingerbread.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

"the house!"
Posted by moonbaby on 03-20-12 at 06:53 PM
The beard one sort of grossed me out.

Posted by Starshine on 03-21-12 at 08:39 AM
Depends how tired I was, however I think I would have gone for the gingerbeard as it appeared to require less thinking.

"Episode 6"
Posted by featherfish81 on 04-01-12 at 03:32 PM
Your choice:
Apples - search through a car for a marked apple
-or-
Oil - scrape oil off a man who had bathed in oil

As much as I dislike search tasks, I think I would have gone for the apples. The oil one sounded gross, and I think I could have found a faster way to search through the apples. Maybe.

"RE: Episode 6"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 04-01-12 at 05:52 PM
Yeah I'd have done the apples as well. Just throw myself into the front end of the car and clear it out, then quickly move all the remaining apples in the back into the front part until I found the one with the ribbons.

"RE: Episode 6"
Posted by MissMyth on 04-17-12 at 01:41 AM
Definitely the apples! Don't think I could have handled the smell of the oil on top of scraping it off a human. More so if I'd known the men were really hairy.

"Episode 7"
Posted by featherfish81 on 04-13-12 at 00:24 AM
This week, Tanzania!

Your choice:
Marksmanship - Use a traditional weapon to hit clay targets
-or-
Courtship - Perform a courtship ritual by jumping for 1 minute

I'd pick courtship, no contest. I know that by the end a minute feels like a long time, but it's guaranteed to be over in a minute, while marksmanship could go on awhile.

"RE: Episode 7"
Posted by MissMyth on 04-17-12 at 01:42 AM
Courtship for sure. I think you can do almost anything for 60 seconds.

Posted by featherfish81 on 04-17-12 at 01:30 AM
This week:

Water Supply - Wait in line to collect water and deliver it
-or-
Air Supply - Patch a hole in a bike tire

Air supply definitely looked easier, even without having to wait in line forever just for the water.

Posted by MissMyth on 04-17-12 at 01:44 AM
Air supply. Even if you didn't know about the line I think you could figure that finding a house, wheeling a cart, and hauling heavy cans of water would take more time and energy.

"Episode 9"
Posted by featherfish81 on 04-24-12 at 02:19 PM
In India:

Cricket - Hit a cricket ball past a marker
-or-
Clutch It - Learn to drive a rickshaw

I probably would have gone with Cricket. I'm not terribly athletic, but switching from hitting with a baseball bat to a cricket bat is probably a lot easier than figuring out the switch to a rickshaw.

"RE: Episode 9"
Posted by qwertypie on 04-24-12 at 05:11 PM
Definitely clutch it.

"RE: Episode 9"
Posted by MissMyth on 04-24-12 at 06:47 PM
Clutch It. I'm much better at driving than sports.

"Episode 10"
Posted by featherfish81 on 05-03-12 at 11:46 PM
Pachyderm - Decorate and elephant and then scoop its poop
-or-
Pack A Box - Pack 10 boxes full of ginger root

They would have gotten me on this one - scooping all that poop sounded like it would have taken awhile, so I probably would have gone with the boxes. Hopefully my partner would have persuaded me otherwise.

"RE: Episode 10"
Posted by MissMyth on 05-07-12 at 04:06 PM
I would have picked the elephants because I like elephants and think it would be cool to work with them, even if I had to shovel poop as well. In addition, I would have taken into consideration that the elephant tasks were all in the same area. Having to pack up the ginger and then schlep it somewhere else would have been red flags for me.

"Episode 11"
Posted by featherfish81 on 05-07-12 at 01:39 PM
Sushi - play bingo with sushi rolls and then eat some sushi
-or-
Sumo - get strangers to take pictures behind cardboard cutouts of sumo wrestlers

I'm not a huge fan of sushi, but I'm pretty sure I would have picked that one. It looked easier, and was more dependent on the racers' ability rather than getting random strangers to do stuff for you.

"RE: Episode 11"
Posted by byoffer on 05-07-12 at 02:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-12 AT 02:26 PM (EST)

I agree, but it seemed that the photo one went much quicker. How did you read the differences in the challenge speed?

eta - I also found it interesting when one of the teams (Vanessa I think) said "do the sushi, I am starving". I don't think they get to stop and eat much, so a food challenge, unless 10 pounds of snitzel, must have some appeal.

"RE: Episode 11"
Posted by MissMyth on 05-07-12 at 04:11 PM
Definitely Sumo. Not a fan of eating challenges at all, and not a fan of sushi.
I would have thought that the photo challenge would have gone even faster. I think Dave was scaring people. During my visits to Japan I have found people to be friendly, helpful, and more than willing to allow me to take a photograph when asked politely.