URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID1
Thread Number: 4096
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Dear Naonka"

Posted by milkachulina on 12-02-10 at 10:25 AM
Dear Naonka,

This morning I am disappointed, let down, and angry with you over quitting Survivor. I have spent the last few weeks defending you against vile, malicious, and unapologetically cruel comments. On this very message board, I have championed your cause in the hopes that you indeed had a strategy that was coming to fruition. I hoped that you would shock the world. I have argued with complete strangers and written lengthy posts defending your character and mere physical being. I have ranked you as the #1 competitor for 2 weeks in a row. CLEARLY, I HAVE BEEN SMOKING CRACK. That is, of course, the only reasonable explanation as to why I supported you. You have done an excellent job of not only living up to, but consistently exceeding, every negative stereotype that people have claimed you were. You have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that your alleged mental deficiencies are indeed a reality. You need psychological help. You are sick.

PepeLewPew13, Dabo, and many others saw what kind of scum you were from the very beginning. I refused to acknowledge their assertions. I thought they were rude. Alas, they were right all along. “Naoinka,” you are everything the world has said about you. You are going to take a lashing from Survivor fans for years to come. You deserve it.

I have often faulted Mark Burnett for searching far and wide to cast the most stereotypical blacks that he could. He certainly hit the jackpot with you. And, how dare you sit there at Tribal Council and claim some type of honor for being the only African-American left in the game? Ain’t nobody trying to claim you girl. Some of the very worse, including Dreamz, stuck it out until the very end. Dreamz certainly doesn’t look so bad now. You are a quitter. Asten quit too. But, you made it to Day 28. That makes you a Big Dummy as well. Your claim of honor should have been that you were the only crazy “Female Dog” sitting there on day 28. That’s your demographic category. Hmm. Dogs do have darker gums. Maybe that explains it!!!

Wishing you all the pain caused by the direct impact of a subway train,

Milkachulina

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Dear Naonka"
Posted by suzzee on 12-02-10 at 10:53 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side and don't be too hard on yourself Milkachulina . Nay's created her own personal hell and I don't think she'll get out of the rest of the season unscathed. Hope you hang around for more seasons.

Charter member of the Sarcasm Society

Posted by RollDdice on 12-02-10 at 12:55 PM
Milkachulina, I'm sorry you're disappointed and I share your disgust with NaOnka.

It's sad that she excused all of her own selfish, cruel and childish behavior as being representative of the ghetto or 'hood or whatever justification she was throwing out at the time.

I also find it depressing that she's a teacher. Granted, a P.E. teacher, but some of her young students must look at her as a role model. Now she achieves more "fame" as a result of being on Survivor.

But I don't see the end of this kind of casting. Immature, volatile and crazy people (of every color) lead to confrontations on Survivor, and that leads to good buzz and good ratings.

Bounce or Die by IceCat

Posted by Belle Book on 12-02-10 at 01:39 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-05-10 AT 02:20 PM (EST)

I'm sorry you were so disappointed in her, Milkachulina. But don't be too hard on yourself. You had your reasons, even if they were bad ones.

Posted by Karchita on 12-02-10 at 03:44 PM
Well said, Milka. I am glad that you had the gonads to post this. For me, the worst thing she did was go on that reward. How someone like that can live with themselves is completely beyond me.

Bouquet by c2p

"???"
Posted by michel on 12-02-10 at 09:59 PM
I never understand the fans of these players. The players are never as good as the fans see them but they are never as bad as the bashers see them either. She quit. So what? She didn't kill anyone, she didn't even commit a crime. Many people quit jobs that aren't meant for them. It's just a TV show. Disappointment? Perhaps. Anger? Why?

"RE: ???"
Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 12-03-10 at 08:57 AM
I am going to take a guess and say you are not much of a sports fan. The reason I make this guess is this - NaOnka's exit strikes me as very similar to what LeBron James did to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

LeBron signed with the Cavaliers and stated, publicly, that he intended to bring them a championship - and would not stop until he did. Fans of the team poured their souls into backing him and his team. It looked like they had something going after going up 2-1 on the Celtics in 2010, and the loss in Game 4 seemed like a mere setback. Then came Game 5 - LeBron's atrocious performance led people to believe he had quit on the Cavs. Fast-forward two months or so, and he calls a big press conference, where he announces - to the letdown of many who backed him and to the detriment of his teammates, who were counting on him - that he was off to the Miami Heat. Quitting on the Cavs in a publicly embarrassing way.

NaOnka signed with Survivor to play the game. She came off as the villain, sure, but in many respects, she was playing hard. Who can blame her? And a least, when she messed up, she had great entertainment value. The dedication to her certainly wasn't as strong as that of Cavaliers fans to LeBron, since she'll undoubtedly come and go after one season, but fans of the game either loved her, hated her, or loved to hate her. Also, she proved to be a very strong player - when she wanted to be. For her, Wednesday night's episode was her Game 5 - announcing after the reward that she was quitting and then going on the reward anyway when another player sacrificed her chance for the tribe's benefit. Then she forced an impromptu Tribal Council that probably took way to long to get a decision out of her - at which point, she made a decision that made the fans upset and let down tribemates who were counting on her.

Last night, LeBron James was booed mercilessly in Cleveland. Here's to hoping the finale audience is every bit as merciless to NaOnka.

Posted by michel on 12-03-10 at 07:23 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-03-10 AT 07:45 PM (EST)

Actually, I am a big sports fan, watch every NFL game I can and still watch too much hockey. That being said, I'm not a fan of players but teams. When I was young there wasn't anyone better than Bobby Hull in my mind but I grew out of idolizing pampered superstars. I still admire a Tom Brady, a Peyton Manning or a Gebreselassie (to show that I know more than football! ) because of what they have done over the years, not because of the first 8 games I saw them play. If you want to hold on to the sports comparison, Nay is like the rookie that has yet to make her proof. Didn't even win a game, didn't even show a lot of talent, so why have anger over her quitting?

LeBron grew up in Ohio. People had been following him since he was what? 12 years old? He was one of them. Was Na'Onka part of your family, your neibourghood?

Where the comparison completely falls apart is that you are talking team sports where players are working for their teammmates and their city's team. Nay was playing only for Nay. It's like an unknown golfer deciding to quit during his first PGA tournament. Who cares?

ETA: What would please me at the reunion is if someone asks: "Nay Who?" Hearing crickets would please me more than boos!

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 12-07-10 at 09:06 AM
Hmmm...gives me a lot of food for thought.

First off, I guess I was wrong to assume. It happens. (Though I thought Gebreselassie was a type of chocolate...or foreign liquor...or foreign chocolate liquor.)

LeBron had the weight of the world on his shoulders in northern Ohio. Granted, he had a right to pack up and head to the Heat. It's his right as an American citizen, an NBA player, and a grown man to play wherever he believes he will be the happiest. What bothers me, and many others, is the way he left - the big press conference, the secrecy, the fact that the Cavaliers were banking on him staying and had no clue what he was up to, and the follow-up "What should I do?" crap that followed.

No, NaOnka's not from my hometown, or even my home state. She's from Los Angeles, as she's pointed out numerous times. She signed up to play the game - and then acted like a self-righteous mo-ron who said she did nothing wrong. Technically, she has the right to quit. However, she seems to lack the understanding of why this affects other people and why people would be upset with her. And yes, if she was going to quit, she really shouldn't have gone on the show - neither she nore the invisible Purple Kelly should have been there. That's two spots that could have been taken by people who would want to be on the show and not just give up because it's raining.

NaOnka, in my experience, is the equivalent of my brother's ex-girlfriend, who's now an ex because he found out through multiple sources that she was cheating on him. And because she threatened to pour bleach in his fish tank if he left. And because she threatened to destroy his things. And because she seemed to feel no remorse whatsoever for cheating. Basically, she's a psycho bitch. NaOnka spits in her tribe's face, including players to whom she relates very well, almost as a mother figure in one case, and she said she owed no one an apology when, let's face it, it would have gone a long way.

Aside from that, NaOnka was one hell of a competitor when she wanted to be. She wasted more potential as a player than, really, anyone in the history of the show. Even other quitters were far less interesting. The only fun thing Osten ever did was hand Jeff liquor and sell his clothes. The only thing Janu did was make a fire on Exile Island. The only thing Kathleen did was feel another woman's breast implants. If she was to go, it should have been because she was held accountable for stealing food, backstabbing other players, and being a total loose cannon. That or she should have been held accountable at F3. Quitting this far into the game is nothing to be proud of.

The fact that she seems to hold herself to an unfathomably low standard is somewhat insulting to anyone who holds him/herself to a standard above "don't poop on the floor."

Posted by RollDdice on 12-07-10 at 11:46 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-07-10 AT 11:48 AM (EST)

NaOnka identified herself as coming from South Central, and I'd like to keep it that way. Although South Central is a neighborhood within Los Angeles, I'm in no hurry to have her associated with the city in which I live.

I'm disappointed she quit because I would have liked to see if her random acts of selfishness were somehow, miraculously, part of a plan. One can only imagine her F2 speech.

Bounce or Die by IceCat

ETF: a weird spacing issue.

Posted by michel on 12-07-10 at 08:14 PM
Don't worry about the wrong assumption Colonel; you've always been one of my favorite posters but we rarely exchanged more than a few quick posts.

You write:
"She...acted like a self-righteous mo-ron who said she did nothing wrong."

But she did that all season long. Na'Onka is probably one of the most self-centered player we've ever seen. Why was quitting so upsetting? You must have known she wasn't going to win, probably even wished she would get what was coming to her. Seeing her quit should feel good because she did it all to herself.

You also write:
"she seems to lack the understanding of why this affects other people and why people would be upset with her..."

I have to ask which "people" you are talking about? The first "people" seems to be her allies while the second could be the viewers. Nay owed nothing to either group. Survivor is an individual game and her allies should have had plenty of warning that she wasn't to be relied upon. Maybe keeping Yve or Alina would have been smarter, now wouldn't it? If they chose to keep her despite her threats of quitting on day 14, worse, if they included her in their end game plans, that's their own fault.

As for the viewer, they should blame SEG more than her. Maybe the viewers should be shocked that they were forced to wear nothing but bikinis.

You add:
"That's two spots that could have been taken by people who would want to be on the show and not just give up because it's raining."

Actually those were two of the 4 spots added in case people would give up! Jeff said he'd love to have only 16 castaways each season but they go to 20 because of possible quitters. Anyway, the two replacements that were sent back home before the season started (if there were any) are the only ones that should be angry for "their" spots being taken. Survivor likes to have quitters to show how hard it really is so, again, blame SEG

"Quitting this far into the game is nothing to be proud of."

That, I agree but I say good riddance rather than getting upset at her.

"The only fun thing Osten ever did was hand Jeff liquor and sell his clothes...The only thing Kathleen did was feel another woman's breast implants."

You are selling Osten and Kathleen short: I really cracked up at the whole Osten vs Pelican Pete storyline. Seeing him losing his underwear during the first challenge leading to Ryno and Savage dropping their pants in "support" was hilarious. It was also funny to see muscleman Osten being beaten by Christa in that physical challenge. Krazy Kathy was hilarious too often to note (Remember her "Mary?", her love for Yau Man and Cirie, etc...)

Posted by dabo on 12-08-10 at 01:22 AM
Why was quitting so upsetting? You must have known she wasn't going to win, probably even wished she would get what was coming to her. Seeing her quit should feel good because she did it all to herself.

Oh! Oh Oh! I Know!! Oh Oh Oh!! Mister Kotter Mister Kotter! Oh Oh Oh!...

Actually, I can tell you why her quitting was disappointing. You don't watch Jaws hoping the shark decides "to hell with it" and swims off leaving Brody nothing to shoot at. The payoff when Brody shoots the scuba tank, big monster shark suddenly becomes bits of fish and seagull feed, oh man is that great. NaOnka robbed us of the payoff, took the coward's way out.

Posted by michel on 12-08-10 at 08:33 AM
Disappointment certainly. Look again at my post #5!

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 12-08-10 at 10:11 AM
But she did that all season long. Na'Onka is probably one of the most self-centered player we've ever seen. Why was quitting so upsetting? You must have known she wasn't going to win, probably even wished she would get what was coming to her. Seeing her quit should feel good because she did it all to herself.

Lots of people are self-centered. She's self-centered, clueless, arrogant, and perhaps borderline sociopathic - even when she stole the food, she didn't appear to have any remorse over it and had virtually no explanation for it other than "I wanted tortillas." At least when Russell did what he did, he had a strategy for it and acknowledged he was playing a character. For NaOnka to get what was coming to her would likely have taken her torch getting "smuffed" due to others overthrowing her or reaching F3 and getting blasted by the jury. She quits, and she avoids having to be accountable for her actions.

I have to ask which "people" you are talking about? The first "people" seems to be her allies while the second could be the viewers. Nay owed nothing to either group. Survivor is an individual game and her allies should have had plenty of warning that she wasn't to be relied upon. Maybe keeping Yve or Alina would have been smarter, now wouldn't it? If they chose to keep her despite her threats of quitting on day 14, worse, if they included her in their end game plans, that's their own fault.

The first "people" was ther group I was referring to - her allies, the ones who kept her in the game despite the fact that she wanted to quit on Day 13 and stole food. Especially to the one who did everything she could to help her. In that respect, she did owe them something. Just as Dream owed it to Yau-Man to give up the immunity necklace, Rob owed it to Lex to leep him around for at least a TC or two, and Erik owed it to himself to act like he had a brain and not fork over immunity to Natalie. Just because none of those things happened doesn't mean it wasn't owed.

Actually those were two of the 4 spots added in case people would give up! Jeff said he'd love to have only 16 castaways each season but they go to 20 because of possible quitters. Anyway, the two replacements that were sent back home before the season started (if there were any) are the only ones that should be angry for "their" spots being taken. Survivor likes to have quitters to show how hard it really is so, again, blame SEG

Having only 16 castaways means that the game is a bit more rigid and predictable - the only time a group of 16 ever deviated from the standard-issue "final two, jury of seven" format was China. Having 18 or 20 allows the producers to be a little more creative with the game format - not that they always are. Of course, by adding two or four more castaways, the people they picked 17-20 are hardly automatic quitters, medical disasters, or duds - injuries could just as easily happen in Exile Island or Tocantins, 16-player seasons, as in Fans vs. Favorites and Samoa, in which the islands practically needed MASH units to accommodate the medevacs and injuries.

I don't really know if Survivor likes to have quitters or just sees them as inevitable - it was season 7 before there was a quitter, and it looked as if the producers were absolutely disgusted. As far as a hard game, though, Survivor can't top the all-time record for forced quit - Boot Camp managed to get a surrender out of a cast member in about 20 minutes of screen time. Try topping that, SEG.

You are selling Osten and Kathleen short: I really cracked up at the whole Osten vs Pelican Pete storyline. Seeing him losing his underwear during the first challenge leading to Ryno and Savage dropping their pants in "support" was hilarious. It was also funny to see muscleman Osten being beaten by Christa in that physical challenge. Krazy Kathy was hilarious too often to note (Remember her "Mary?", her love for Yau Man and Cirie, etc...)

All I remember about Osten was that he was a big, muscle-headed wuss. The pelican was a great example of it, but even at that time, Osten was the only one failing to see any humor in it - or anything. He just acted like a self-righteous punk. I'd say he was worse than NaOnka, but comparisons between the two are not even worth the brain neurons firing to think of them. As for Kathleen, I do remember her being pretty entertaining early on, but she went downhill fast and crash-landed Osten-style - lots of potential for a total dud. The best memory I had of her was when she announced that she had never met a gay man or seen breast implants - which annoyed me to no end because I included the "I never met a gay person!" thing in one of my fanfics and the air date ended up being before I posted it. Still pretty hilarious, though, how clueless she made herself look.

Posted by michel on 12-08-10 at 06:59 PM

"She quits, and she avoids having to be accountable for her actions."

I don't think so. She'll be accountable every day in her real life for quite a while. She'll say she doesn't give a damn but she wouldn't have given a damn on the show either.

"Just as Dream owed it to Yau-Man to give up the immunity necklace..."

We have two different cases: YM gave something of monetary value to try to bribe Dreamz out of his shot at a million. It's an individual game so you don't owe anything to your team mates because there simply aren't any real teams.

PS: For quitters before Osten, I count BB, Gabe, Shawna and Nicole (not that she wanted to be voted out but she didn't want to be voted back in as an Outcast!)

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 12-09-10 at 10:02 AM
I don't think so. She'll be accountable every day in her real life for quite a while. She'll say she doesn't give a damn but she wouldn't have given a damn on the show either.

I don't know how accountable she will be. She may be no more accountable for that than Jimmy Johnson would be on FOX Sports for being voted out early. On the show, she'll be held accountable more than anywhere. And she'll say she doesn't care - because she has to.

We have two different cases: YM gave something of monetary value to try to bribe Dreamz out of his shot at a million. It's an individual game so you don't owe anything to your team mates because there simply aren't any real teams.

Everything's an individual game, but it still stands that it's human decency, common sense, and generally good strategy to take care of other people. Holly does all of those. NaOnka did none. Maybe "owes" is a bit strong, but a softer degree of "owes" exists.

PS: For quitters before Osten, I count BB, Gabe, Shawna and Nicole (not that she wanted to be voted out but she didn't want to be voted back in as an Outcast!)

If you count people asking to be voted out, not stopping their own ouster, or people who engineered their own demise by colossal stupidity, the list is very extensive. Then you get into whether Palau Jeff was a quitter, since he asked to be voted out due to an injury. For that matter, how many people have talked about quitting that they haven't shown or who have changed their minds? That's a long damn list.

Posted by Spanky68 on 12-03-10 at 01:20 PM
I am mad at her because I would give a lot to be on Survivor and have a chance at a million dollar payoff. If I was there, I am sure that the weather and punk personalities of the other contestants would bother me.

But unless one of my limbs was falling off and couldn't be sewn back on, I can't imagine a scenario under which I would quit the game.

The same goes for Purple Kelly. But at least she had the grace to quit with an apology.

Na quit and seems to think that she would have won it if she had stayed. That is delusion of industrial-strength proportions. Seriously, I hope that she gets counseling because I can't see her making any good decisions in her personal life is she is THIS badly mistaken.

Agman made this fancy sig for me

Posted by Brownroach on 12-03-10 at 01:45 PM
If you read her post-show interviews, she thinks she deserves to be on the jury more than Alina, Marty and Brenda because they, after all, were voted out for poor gameplay. She, on the other hand, played an excellent game and was not voted out but quit. So she is worthier than they are.

Posted by agman on 12-03-10 at 02:13 PM
She's a legend in her own mind!.....

Posted by michel on 12-03-10 at 07:31 PM
I was expecting the "she took a spot" response. Did Na'Onka take your spot? Did you even apply for this season? The person that was her replacement before the season started, if they even had one, is the only person who should be angry that Na'Onka quit. Like I said, the rest of us could be disappointed but angry? I feel that's wasting a lot of energy for something, someone, so trivial.

Posted by Spanky68 on 12-06-10 at 01:18 PM
No I didn't apply. I didn't have time to step away from my family for 40 days (or more) this time. So you're right, she didn't directly take my spot.

But Americans have a long tradition of saying "if it were me, I would do it better and I won't put up with morons that I think are bungling my _______". Fill in the blank with everything from government, military, customer service, etc.

So I see your reason and ignore it because I am too busy being mad at her for doing what I am sure I wouldn't: quit.

If I ever do play Survivor, though, I would think she would be someone who convinced me to get off the couch and do it better.

Agman made this fancy sig for me

Posted by agman on 12-06-10 at 01:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-06-10 AT 01:28 PM (EST)

Michel, While I understand your reasoning, I'm still mad at her for quiting and that is my right. Just as it is your right to whine and disagree everytime someone has an opinion on the play of the contestants which you don't agree with.

Posted by michel on 12-06-10 at 07:33 PM
I'm not saying you don't have the right, I'm just wondering why waste energy on her.

I value the people I disagree with, at least most of them, so the discussions are for fun which is the only reason to watch Survivor or post here. Anger? Not much fun in that but, if like Spanky, it's a way to motivate you to do better then I can understand.

Posted by dabo on 12-03-10 at 02:02 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-03-10 AT 02:02 AM (EST)

Hey, milka, got to say I'm still peeved about what I saw last night. Even though I was expecting it to be bad by the time the episode began, that was way worse than what I thought it might be. Even after she went on the reward I was still holding out for some small bit of redemption from NaOnka, like maybe when she'd eaten and felt a bit better she might realize she'd messed up. But no, she stuck to her guns to the bitter end.

Just read her RTVW interview and the very last hope that she might have come to her senses after all this time, even that's gone now. Fair warning, she's still sticking to her guns, doesn't even listen to the questions at times and just goes blazing away on whatever.

I understand how some people show up on these reality shows with some idea of representing, as it is called. Sometimes it works out okay but it is often a bad idea, doesn't work out all that well. And it is worst on the fans who get caught up in it, invest their hopes in it, when the crash comes.

I was kind of on that page with you a bit, I really was hoping there would be a redemption angle play out somehow. Wasn't to be, unfortunately.

Would have been worth watching, though, if it had happened. Could have been great.

Posted by foonermints on 12-03-10 at 02:30 AM
Currently, we have her locked in the Latrine Car.

Problem is, she likes it in there.

Posted by Karchita on 12-03-10 at 03:01 PM
Where she belongs.

In the company of other crazy turds.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-05-10 at 08:24 AM
Sorry it turned out to be a major disappointment for you, milka... I've been there myself where I built up a contestant, only to be disappointed with how he/she turned out.

It was one thing that she decided to mooch off the tribe's food supply - it was how she reacted and responded to the tribe's questions that told me she was completely off her rocker. Her reaction to the Kelly B fight also hinted at her mental instability as well. The last straw was the selfish behaviour of wanting to go on reward even though she was going to quit, and she didn't care that she was potentially depriving the rest of the tribe of a valuable supply of rice and tarps.

I don't think it's so much of a matter of Mark Burnett looking for the stereotypical 'crazy black' but more to do with hoping for good TV and not always working out. Sure, we've had a few loonies over the years but we've also had a fair number of loonies that are white (hello, Shane and Russhole, to name two in particular) and there's been a number of good guys from the African-American side, such as Earl, Russell Swan, and Tyrone from this year. Cassandra, Stephannie, Rebecca, Sundra and Vecepia were gentle sorts of ladies, even if they weren't always exciting to watch on TV.

Posted by KLicK on 12-05-10 at 08:37 AM
Don't forget one of the best (and well-liked) female players was an African-American: Cirie.

Posted by iltarion on 12-05-10 at 11:50 PM

Cirie? Forget that. SUNDRA.... ahhhh.... miss you honey.

>

Posted by dabo on 12-06-10 at 04:32 PM
Without a doubt, Cirie is the best player who never won the game. Put her in final with anyone who has played the game, anyone at all, she wins.