URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID87
Thread Number: 407
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Judges inadequacy and riduclous removal of Jane from Competition."

Posted by derftsur on 11-07-07 at 03:48 PM
I am disappointed in the truly inadequate judges you have on the panel. I know that they occasionally try to present themselves as true judges even at the expense of cat calls from the audience, I have seen injustices before but removing Jane from the contest ranks well above all others.

Put this in your file box and remember it. “If you can see it, it is wrong.” This may take some digesting but this is a prerequisite of all judges. Eg. If you see someone’s shoulders shrugged and approaching their ears, It is Wrong. Any amateur can see this and even they can judge based on the above quote that this is not acceptable. If you see someone’s hips swinging from side to side in the Cha Cha or Rumba, It is wrong. The smooth transition from one side to the other is imperative for anyone attempting to do Latin Motion. As soon as you can see the hips moving - It is Wrong. Any amateur can see this and would judge accordingly.

I am a Fellow of the ISTD. The only dancer dancing the Cha Cha that even remotely stayed in time and character of the dance was Jane. Having the judges mark her lower when every judge of any repute knows that at least keeping in time is a prerequisite placed closely to correct footwork and basic poise and balance.

These judges placed themselves in a category of idiots.

As the dancing progressed through the various categories the Judges have a partiality for flash and outlandish movements in deference to the prerequisites of the true ability to dance. Jane was also criticized for not maintaining contact during the Quickstep. Did anyone take a look at the behind of others when while they were stuck out so far back as to not allow their footwork to pass through the Heel on backward steps. Not only would this be eliminated in any beginners competition but as a previous competitor in Professional dancing, if my partner stuck out her behind that way she would have immediately been eliminated even if she did maintain contact. Maintaining contact at the suffering of every other necessary part of the dancing is a gigantic No No. This was missing in every other competitor, so "How Come?" Any dancer that cannot maintain the proper rhythm and timing is a requisite loser. To give marks to individuals that couldn't hold the rhythm with a large basket and still continues because she showed more booty is totally without credence. Judges get your act together before you let the standard of decent dancing go down the drain. Jane proved to be a lady and danced every dance as a lady. That, in a professional competition rates higher than someone that tosses their heads from side to side and creates artificial lines in an attempt to emulate the look of a dancer should be eliminated for cause.

The only lady professional dancer in the past 5 seasons was Charlotta - she was the only lady professional that showed true respect of the art of dancing. Get more ot this kind of professional lady dancers and you just might move true dancing forward. (You will notice I said Lady not woman dancers.) All the (Woman Professionals could not be considered as Ladies). In the competition with her partner in (I believe the second season) when eliminated he was called back by the demand of viewers. He went on to win because he actually did look as a dancer should look. The lady partner as a professional dancer was pure perfection and she didn't ask her partner to do things that would impress the judges, but actually showed fine dancing.

All the amateurs have to be applauded because of the work they must go through to do any type of competition like this. But if in the process you put forth the wrong idea of what dancing should look like you have bastardized the dancing as an art. All dancers, professional or amateur must exhibit the timing and character of each dance and must have the poise and look of the dance without sprawling on the floor and taking dives across the floor to impress those with no sense of quality dancing. I can make a parallel with a professional boxer. If I taught my training professional boxer to only swing haymakers and not be conscious of the intricacies of true professional boxing, I would be looking down on him on the floor in the first round.....

Judges - Wake up to the realities of dancing as it should be. I know that during my competitions, if I danced completely out of time I wouldn't get past the first round no matter how many gymnastics I tossed in. If my partner flipped her head from side to side without caring why the head actually need to turn, I would be looking at the rest of the competition from the sidelines.

Judges - Take your responsibility to the profession of dancers and eliminate the spectacular (Tricks). Judge these amateur dancers with the same conscience you would with any professional competition. With judging as you have shown in these segments you gave individuals the impression that acting in this manner is acceptable . This could not be farther from the truth. New dancers trying to emulate these ridiculous lines and improper rhythm will never get passed the basics and dropped from any competition professional or not. I know that many Pro-Am competitions have a tendency to emulate these segments you are judging but that would be a disservice to all trying to become truly good dancers. Get With It!!!. Stop embarrassing all us professionals and try to represent yourselves as true professionals and not a bunch of idiots.

Disgusted

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Judges inadequacy and riduclous removal of Jane from Competition."
Posted by qwertypie on 11-07-07 at 06:54 PM
Wow -- I knew Webby was all powerful, but to be personally responsible for putting the judges on the panel?

Derftsur - Welcome to the boards!

I understand and agree with many of your points (just watch me rant and froth at the mouth when the SYTYCD people butcher what they call an Argentine Tango). Unfortunately, since the audience gets a say in the results, there is going to be a huge drift toward the gymnastics and tricks (and you have to admit, the trend is hitting the higher levels of competitions too). I see couples on the show and IRL do a pretty decent pivot turns -- no reaction from the audience and then the couple turn into (a badly executed) promenade, both kick their feet in the air and the crowd goes wild. Go figure.

And if you look at our other posts, you can see us yelling about the crappy music and strange interpretation of the dances (you should probably avoid watching the ballroom segments of So You Think You Can Dance then ). At least we did yell, until we figured out a drinking game to make it less painful to watch.

On the plus side, this show (and sytycd) is causing a resurgence of men who want (or are dragged by their significant others) to take lessons. And any thing that has more men dancing I can't totally condemn.

Posted by joannie on 11-08-07 at 00:09 AM
But Jane was BORING...

Posted by frisky on 11-08-07 at 00:15 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-08-07 AT 00:17 AM (EST)

>if my partner stuck out her behind that way she would have immediately been eliminated even if she did maintain contact.

Step away from the thread, Frisky. Step.Away.From.The.Thread.

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.

Posted by Round Robin on 11-08-07 at 01:42 AM
Jane got the ax because she was too British, and that caused her to be TOO ladylike, especially during the Latin dances. If she didn't get chopped this week, she would have been gone next week. End of story.

Posted by derftsur on 11-12-07 at 10:40 PM
If you noticed today on the show the professional Ms. Huff did the same thing that Mel did last week. Her behind, if stuck out any further would have caused her behind to be the furhest item back in her body. Of course you can also see her head also breaks so badly at her neck as to caus the letter "S" to be straight by comparison. It is intended that the body be placed in a position so that the Poise of the Upper body is slightly arched backward from the Hips to the top of the head and the body of the lady is slightly to the "Right" side of the center of the man's body with a slight streatching in that direction. Streatching is the "Key" not bent or brokern. The lady should be at all times balanced between the balls of the feet and just slightly more toward the heels. This enables her to move through the heel on backward steps and not pushing off with the toes of the Forward foot. By doing this the lady is alwas poised properly and in balance and can move in contact with their partner so that they actuall dance as one. In the competition - "Including all the Professional Ladies" are dancing as "one" - One for themselves and One for their partner. I don't believe that is what is meant by one. \

Every movement by the man or lady should be felt by the other and they should move as one, no matter how complex the step pattern is. If in the Foxtrot, Every time I saw one of the Professionals executing the Feather Step in the Fox Trot, the primary word here is "executed" literally "Murdered".

Sorry to be so critical, but the professional dancers are supposed to be professional and that certainly can't be said by the entire group of "Professionals" this season.

Go Back To the Second Season, and Get Some Professionals.

Posted by derftsur on 11-12-07 at 10:57 PM
Try re-arranging your words to state "ButtHead" instead of "HeadButt". I believe it is more appropriate here.

"Comment and a question...."
Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-08-07 at 02:34 AM
I'm not sure if I read it here or in a blog, but Carrie Ann is not a ballroom judge. She is hip hop. Which was why Jane's partner presented her with a rule book the day after she got after them for doing a lift. Apparently, she flipped him off.

A question to those of you who are in the know: Is Mel B really as good as the judges say she is? She just doesn't do it for me, and I find myself bored throughout most of her dances. Even her pyrotechnics don't interest me that much.

Transcribed by Sharnina

"RE: Comment and a question...."
Posted by derftsur on 11-12-07 at 10:28 PM
In answer to you reply. I don't care if the judges chose the worst as the best as long as they don't profess to give points based on some content. After the show that Jane got routed from the very next contest Mel danced (Including her partner) the entire dance out of time. Not one single step in the entire routine was in charachter of the Mambo. If the judges just said they were picking the ones they liked best (So Be It) but as soon as they profess to judge on any credence related to quality of the dance and give 9 and 10 to and individual that couldn't hit the beat with a bat as wide as the strike zone.

The second item on tonights contest showed the Race Driver dancing the Quickstep. When the Amateur is better than the professional it is mind-boggling. Miss Huff flipped her head from side to side like a windshield wiper. If her behind stusck out any further in order to maintain contact, she would have had to cut her body in half just above the waste. I didn't mispell that word I meant waste, not waist. most of the soft pretzels sold on carts had fewer bends than her. Get some professional dancers that present themselves as professionals.

Is it any wonder that in almost every case other than the second season all the men amateurs are knocked out before the woman amateurs. In normal Pro-Am competitions usually show the Lady Professionals outdoing the Men Professionals only because they usually dance around the man and show their stuff and do not rely on the man to do much but stand there and hold his hand out so she can twirl and spin under it.

This week "Len" really tipped his total inadequacy. I am not sure if he is just doing what he is told but going along with those that run the show is like throwing an election just to satisfy one of the bosses and trying to appise them.

You can have a great show if the judges picked according to the standards of the dance. The best would come to the top and I am sure it would be just as entertaining. There are an occassional good dancer in the Professional ranks, but they are so confused as to whether they should dance International style of the riduculous American style. Doesn't one of the shows producers realize that the International Sytle that is accepted all over the world (Except in pockets of the US) has gained it standing because not only does it look better but the standard can be monitored in a like manner across the board. Everybody has the same scale to be measured on. It has taken 40 years for the International Standard to be the Competition level in the US and a few more years of this junk and we will be running downhill to oblivion and non-competitive standards in the whole world of competition. Should 40 years of progress be dumped by some voiceferious ill-begotten judges to turn the US upside down again.

"RE: Comment and a question...."
Posted by derftsur on 11-12-07 at 10:46 PM
I saw as you did that one foot was draging on the floor. That is within the contest rules. If it were the professional that caused the infraction and the foot actually did come slightly off the floor the Amateur that was being judged had no control over it. If she had leaped off the floor on her own, then it would be a case for taking off points. As I saw, and I am sure I am correct, the Professional actually lifted her up during the spin and she would have no ability to keep her foot in strict contact with the floor. On the re-run, it was quite obvious that she was making every attempt to keep her foot on the floor, If in fact there was a momentary period when her foot did leave the floor, (and this would have been only a moment,) If points were to be withheld than it should not have been the amateur.

Posted by Snidget on 11-08-07 at 08:05 AM
Welcome to the boards.

While you have a lot of good points just making sure you know this site isn't affiliated with the network and it sounds like you think DWTS or ABC might actually read it. *points to disclaimer at the bottom of the page*

Don't know if they read this board or not, but complaints that you intend for someone at the network or the show to read should be done from some contact us link on the network or show's official website.

I'm not sure they are intending to judge the stars based only on competition ballroom standards. After all it is an entertainment show rather than a real ballroom competition. They are also judging people who are novices. I know sometimes in other competitions I've been in different levels (novice vs junior vs senior) have different top scores you can get so that means the highest score any of them could possibly get on a 10 point scale in a real competition would be like a 7 as even a very talented novice is not going to be at the same level as someone who has been doing it for 10 or more years.

I'm not sure why they bother having a 10 point scale they really never use 1-5. They could make it a 5 point scale, but again that doesn't make good tv. I mean why have poor, very poor, completely dreadful, etc. on the scale if you won't ever use them because you are dealing with stars with egos and don't want to have them walk off the show?

In closing it is intended to be an entertainment show that generates ratings, not a legitimate ballroom competition. Therefore it will never in any way live up to ballroom competition standards. They will skew whatever they have to in order to make it watchable to the maximum number of people. If you only want to watch real ballroom competitions I suggest the ballroom competition shows over on PBS where selling advertising is not the most important thing.

Posted by Round Robin on 11-09-07 at 04:53 AM
They used the 5 a few times earlier this season, and the 4 has been regularly used for some of the worst ones in the past. THe only use of anything lower was some use of the 2's against Master P for his talentless and lazy displays of utter ineptitude.

Posted by derftsur on 11-12-07 at 10:54 PM
I realize that these are a forum that may or not get to the parties that should be seeing them. Hopefully one of their friends might see some of the comments and someone tells them of their inadequacy. We can only hope. They say that hope springs eternal.

If you or any one else that may see these comments can apprise they judges of the comments, GREAT!!. Otherwise, it is good to see that so many others agree with the judging that goes on. I see no reason why, with correct judging the best dancer cannot be picked and everybody would be pleased. Giving inflated points just to make the individual feel "Less Angry" is a point that seems to get worse and worse as the contest moves on.

Just look at the faces of the individuals being judged. They actually think that they know more than the judges. If you see the expressions as the contest continues, you will notice more and more distain shown in the faces of the contestants toward the judges.

The main reason for this is, is that inflated scores are given on occassion and when they get a lower score they look like as the saying goes "If looks could kill".