URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 407
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"video game?"

Posted by blacknwhitedog on 01-13-06 at 10:03 AM
Someone at work says her son has a video game called "Eco" or something similar- that is about a man with a stick that fights a black smoke. Anyone heard of that? I know nothing about video games.

2005 PhoenixMons

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: video game?"
Posted by Maroonclown on 01-13-06 at 11:45 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-06 AT 12:06 PM (EST)

Just a little search turned up this:

http://www.gamediscovery.com/ideas/archive/Video-Game-893.asp

"The Basic Idea:

Taking off from the other simulation series targeted at older audiences, Eco is a game designed for younger kids with the curiousity to explore how the world works together and why we as part of it should preserve it.

Besides observing, the player also have the abilities to change the game world by telling the people in the game world on what to do. There would be a specific mission mode where the player must solve a problem somewhere in the world. For example, the aforementioned factories run into a conflict with the local fishermen. Should the factories install more enviroment-friendly cleaning facilities? Where is the money going to come from? Maybe the fishermen should just go fish somewhere else. But what about the beaches? The player is free to make as much or as little influence on the outcome of these events. In case that the player messes things up completely, Eco will do a time warp and give the player a second chance (as well as to give the player some pointers on what could or should be done).

Notice that the player is not omnipotent. The player cannot order the fishes to go somewhere else. The player cannot spawn trees out of nowhere. Besides the time warp, they will face every consequence that comes out of their hands, and learn why they should care to recycle, to preserve animals, to moderate pollution, and other such issues that will, in reality, affect us more than academic subjects like literature and math"

Could be something here or we may be overthinking it a bit.

Overtinking? What the heck is overtinking?

"RE: video game?"
Posted by blacknwhitedog on 01-13-06 at 12:23 PM
I'm not sure this is the game. She said it is an Xbox game and her son is in high school. She said the front cover of the game shows a man with a stick in his hand fighting off black smoke. It might not be spelled "Eco".

2005 PhoenixMons

"Alter Echo?"
Posted by weltek on 01-13-06 at 12:43 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/objects/481/481809.html

"Played the game - it's ICO"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 01-13-06 at 01:19 PM
I've played the game (it's a fantastic game, btw) and I doubt it's at all related to our Mr. Eko. There's a teenaged outcast boy who has horns growing out of his head (that's why he's an outcast) and he is fighting off strange things in this castle in order to save a girl who was captured. He does fight off black smoke creatures and these creatures show up only if you leave the girl you are saving for too long (they try to take her back...if they succeed, you lose the game). So, in a sense it sounds quite a bit like our island monster, but that's about the only similiarity. Here's a link to the game

"ICO"
Posted by blacknwhitedog on 01-13-06 at 01:47 PM
That's it! The guy with the stick!

2005 PhoenixMons

"black smoke"
Posted by blacknwhitedog on 01-13-06 at 01:52 PM

2005 PhoenixMons

"Hmmmmm"
Posted by PhoenixMons on 01-13-06 at 06:53 PM

They are wraith-like (the black smoke things)...and I suppose the black smoke thing on the island could be some sort of wraith as well. Interesting.

Got blog?

"RE: Played the game - it's ICO"
Posted by Fishercat on 01-13-06 at 02:45 PM
Ico (the game) is awesome. Very well thought out game, too bad it sold poorly.

Posted by batts on 01-13-06 at 07:08 PM
Makes me wonder if the black smoke thing is some kind of Wring Wraiths..... Just a thought....

Posted by PhoenixMons on 01-13-06 at 09:56 PM
Great minds