URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 403
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"All God's Children"

Posted by Maroonclown on 01-12-06 at 09:17 AM
Holy religious overtones Batman.

I haven't quite gotten my head around an analysis yet but the imagery cannot be ignored.

I was reminded so many times last night of Madonna's Like a Prayer video. I know that sounds wierd but she could have come tromping through there at any moment in her black lingerie and fit right in.

And Eko's reference to the gold toothed man that saved him obviously refers more to Eko's life change than merely being pushed out of the plane.

And have I said before that I love the guy who plays Eko. He was my favorite in Oz. So creepy yet so wonderful.

Rolly Sig Shop

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: All God's Children"
Posted by sisyphus on 01-12-06 at 10:29 AM
I think he just meant he saved his life......because if he did not push him from entering the plane then he would have died with them......we still don't know what happened afterwards....but wouldn't the people know that he was not a priest but a thug or whatever...

Posted by Maroonclown on 01-12-06 at 10:32 AM
The miltary men thought he was a priest. He wouldn't have to go back from where he came, he could just continue on and build a new life as a holy man. He has his signed documents staing he is a priest.

His cronies were either shot or flying away in the plane. No witnesses.

Rolly Sig Shop

Posted by HobbsofMI on 01-12-06 at 10:50 AM
I bet he took his brothers place at his church.....

Oz...I knew I've seen him before but could not figure out what show.....yes, he was great in Oz....I need to rent it so I can find out how it all wrapped up.

sig by PM and bouncy by IceCat

Posted by weltek on 01-12-06 at 10:57 AM
I agree that he probably took his brother's place at the church, but when the plane never reached its intended destination, someone came after him. I bet he either was running from them, or trying to find out what happened to the plane (which may have been why he immediately clung to Claire's mention of the VM statues).

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 01-13-06 at 07:31 PM
Did you recognize Micheal from Oz as well? He was the guy in the wheel chair. The narrator.

"Adewale"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-14-06 at 08:25 AM
Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje was also in "The Bourne Identity" and in "The Mummy Returns", but no question the role he's most familiar in is in "Oz". After this show, he'll prolly be more closely identified with Lost than any other show. Really is a good actor and a good physical presence.

Check out my Survivor Guatemala Finale episode summary

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

"RE: Adewale"
Posted by Maroonclown on 01-16-06 at 11:30 AM
Little bit of trivia culled from imdb.com

Has a masters in Law from the University of London, but took a different career path when bitten by the acting bug.

Is perhaps best known for his role as the cunning, fierce super-criminal Adebisi on "Oz" (1997).

He went from playing Ernie Hudson's good friend, the guide Kahega to Hudson's Capt. Munro in "Congo," to playing his enemy, the sociopathic Adebisi to Hudson's hard-headed Warden Glynn in "Oz."

He has Nigerians parents

Born on the same day as the Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley.

The son of immigrants from Nigeria, he has played almost entirely African characters despite having been born and raised in England. He usually employs a deep, Nigerian timber while acting, while off-screen he has a very British, somewhat Cockney accent.

He is fluent in several languages including Italian, Yoruba, Swahili, and (of course) English. He can "get along" in a few other languages, including French.

He is a Buddhist and admitted that he had to chant more than usually while playing the brutal character of "Majestic" in Get Rich or Die Tryin' (2005).

I think it would be weird to see him speak with a cockney accent.

Rolly Sig Shop

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 01-13-06 at 07:36 PM
I'm not convinced that he would just start a new life as a priest right then.

For one, I don't think it would be that easy for him to do. The military might not know he's not a priest, but the villagers that attend the church sure do. They wouldn't just accept him.

And for two, I've seen nothing to suggest he wants to change at this time. I don't think that seeing his brother shot was enough.

If there's one thing I've learned about Lost, it's that it's unpredictable. Eko going and being a priest right away is too predictable.

There's going to be a lot more to his story than that, methinks.

Posted by J I M B O on 01-14-06 at 01:30 AM

i think the whole jist of his flashbacks was that he never did want to be the person everyone thought he was. and i'm not so sure that drug lord/gangbanger to priest is very predictable. i'm not sure how it could be anything other than an immediate change...those aren't professions you gradually transition to and from.

Posted by MDSkinner on 01-19-06 at 09:59 AM
I agree with you. I think there is clearly a great deal more to Ecko than what we have seen to this point.

First off, if it was as simple as just taking his brother's place as priest, then what was he doing on the plane?

Posted by ladro on 01-16-06 at 01:49 PM
I also think it was just a reference to the fact that Mr. Gold Tooth (I wonder if he is related to Flavor Flav) pushed him out of the plane.