URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 4011
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Cabs and Rules"

Posted by BrassFan on 11-15-10 at 02:45 PM
Am I correct in assuming that it's a new rule this season that teams are not allowed to pay a cab to lead them to a destination?

Last week, when it happened, I assumed that it was specified in the clue that they weren't allowed to do it (as per Phil's standup), but now I'm thinking that it may just be an overall race rule.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Cabs and Rules"
Posted by PsychoKitty on 11-15-10 at 06:56 PM
I'm with you - last week I remember the clue specifically stating they could not follow a cab. But this week, no one read that out loud from a clue. . .

Does anyone know the actual answer?

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by BrassFan on 11-16-10 at 10:08 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 10:11 AM (EST)

>I'm with you - last week
>I remember the clue specifically
>stating they could not follow
>a cab. But this week,
>no one read that out
>loud from a clue. .

Did anyone actually read that out loud last week? I remember Phil saying it, but I don't remember any of the teams reading it. I was wondering if Phil said it because it was going to come into play later...

Edited to add: Gary and Mallory addresse it in their interview:

>Gary Ervin: No, that's an existing rule. You can have someone bring you but you can't pay a taxi driver to lead you to a clue location.<

Posted by Starshine on 11-16-10 at 10:15 AM
Have to admit that I didn't realise that it was a rule either, however I am very glad that TAR has put an end to "follow the taxi" as a competition.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Posted by Seana on 11-17-10 at 02:00 PM
Agree. It just seems like getting someone else to do all the work for you.

Wheel of tribe

Posted by Seana on 11-17-10 at 02:12 PM
Wikipedia's TAR page has some good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_amazing_race#Rules_and_penalties

In cases where teams are instructed to walk or drive themselves to a destination, they are not allowed to hire a taxi to guide or take them through the route. In early seasons of the American series, teams frequently employed the tactic of hiring taxis while later seasons saw less of this. Several dialogues in season 17 of the American series explicitly stated such tactic as not allowed in the rules.

Agman made it so!

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 11-19-10 at 08:59 PM
Good of them to get rid of an infuriating practice.

Next, let's hope they get rid of begging. Sure, we hardly see it, but it's still something they need to get rid of.