URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID1
Thread Number: 4003
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Think what you will of the Huffington Post..."

Posted by kingfish on 11-20-09 at 11:41 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-20-09 AT 11:47 AM (EST)

But this is hilarious.

And pretty accurate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tallulah-morehead/isurvivor-samoai-lord-of_b_364950.html

Excerpt:

So she (ed. - Shambo) rounded up Rocket Scientist John, a man whose IQ is roughly 100 points above hers. Make that 200 points.

"Will you betray my confidence?" Shambles asked John.

"No," he answered, somehow managing to resist the temptation to sell her aluminum siding, or a bridge in New York City, while he's got her brainless ear.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Think what you will of the Huffington Post..."
Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 11-20-09 at 01:53 PM
That? was hilarious! Thanks.

Posted by sica077 on 11-20-09 at 03:37 PM
I'll second that! Great find!

Posted by CTgirl on 11-21-09 at 03:48 PM
Me three! That was hysterical. Loved it especially Camp Igag.

Posted by michel on 11-21-09 at 04:00 AM
Maybe John's IQ is 200 points higher than Shambo, she still bamboozled him!

Posted by Tublecane on 11-21-09 at 05:39 AM
Bamboozled how? By being obstinate? She's in a slightly better position, but only because everyone knows she's never going to win. If the object of the game were to vote off Laura, though, she'd be a millionaire.

Posted by michel on 11-21-09 at 08:11 PM
Is Shambo even playing to win at this point? She got John to follow her in that cul-de-sac.

Posted by kingfish on 12-04-09 at 04:16 PM
Once again Tallulah slices and dices. This time it's Shambles on the spit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tallulah-morehead/isurvivor-samoai-the-sile_b_380244.html

Posted by Prof_ Wagstaff on 12-04-09 at 07:19 PM
That was even better than last weeks.

The Prophet Shambles, blessings and peace be upon her. Perfect!

Into the magna tribe by phyl

Posted by PsychoKitty on 12-04-09 at 07:53 PM
How Hilarious! I hadn't seen these yet! Thanks so much for sharing and she is RIGHT ON!!! (I'm going to have to rewind the ep too to see if Shambles really went ga-ga when Natalie took her shower! Too funny!!!!)

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Sigs by Cig

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-05-09 at 01:30 PM
Well, I wouldn't call it going "ga-ga" but Shambo did crane her neck and peer over at Natalie in the shower with a smile on her face.

Posted by michel on 12-05-09 at 01:21 AM
That was just horrible. The summaries on our board are 100 times better than that garbage.

Take as example:"Viper Queen is Evil. She is a religious, female ##### Cheney, the worst of both worlds."

When did Laura ever bring up religion in the program except for 10 seconds with Russell?

Posted by kingfish on 12-05-09 at 10:01 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-05-09 AT 12:35 PM (EST)

Ours are better, especially if one values accuracy. We also have some very funny and talented writers. IMO we have some who are as good, but sadly (RL gets in the way, I suppose) we don't hear enough from some of our really good ones.

But Tallulah is also a consistently and outrageously hilarious writer, and this is Bashers.

Dabo's Ep. 10 summary in this thread is very good. There have been many others.

I kinda like that she can pick one moment and build a hilarious personality around that. For her thing she has to come up with a funny slant on each character, and I can't think of much else she might use for Laura except that 10 second moment. Viper Queen is OK, IMO. But "The Prophet Shambles, blessings and peace be upon her", based on her dreams, is so acutely apt, and going from Danger Dave to Dopey Dave (or whatever), etc... what's not to laugh at? "Not Laura" for Monica? Perfect.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-05-09 at 01:28 PM
It's called artistic license. I've never let accuracy of facts get in the way of an episode summary that I've done, very much like CBS does with their episodes in that they tweak vidcaps to show something that never makes it into the actual show.

Posted by iltarion on 12-10-09 at 00:42 AM
I appreciate that these pieces are meant to almost invite controversy rather than being PC, but it is definitely slanted in a particular direction and as such rides the line between hilarity and trite garbage. The fact that I'm able to find any humor in it at all points to a singular open-mindedness on my part. I wonder if the writer is equally open-minded enough to read something written with the opposite slant?

>

Posted by kingfish on 12-10-09 at 10:27 AM
This is humor. Not only is it not PC, but it is a lampoon! This is like "Animal House"!

I don't think this rides any kind of line, or is intended to invite controversy at all. The writer is a media humor columnist, and presents this as humorous opinionated satire of certain episodes of Survivor (as well as BB, and other TV shows).

However I do think this writer would be pleased to hear that he is considered controversial, and would probably put out a column lampooning that too.

I mean really! A male writer, writing thru the persona of an aged female Cougar Lush Award-Eligible Film Legend, and Goddess (ala the Tallulah Bankhead reputation)? This doesn't strike you as aiming for your funnybone instead of your intellectual open mindedness?

Posted by michel on 12-10-09 at 07:34 PM
I got the humor but I was mainly commenting that we have summaries on our board that are mostly ignored while this one gets praises.

Posted by kingfish on 12-11-09 at 08:16 AM
You do have a point.

Posted by Outfrontgirl on 12-28-09 at 02:10 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-28-09 AT 02:46 AM (EST)

I like writing summaries but I also liked it when they got linked on the main page of RTVW. When I spend a day or two on it (because I'm not good enough to whip it right out), and then it gets 10 responses posted, it feels like it wasn't read. Not that I don't appreciate each response! I think that was Micronesia ...

at that point I stopped reading too ... I was just bummed that they weren't being promoted like they used to be. I always do post a comment when I've read a summary. I have read some fantastic summaries here and really admire the writers at Blows.

ETA, the odd thing is I just took a look at the Episode Summaries link on the Survivor RTVW home page, and the most recent one is the China Ep 12 summary that I wrote. It's like I broke the system! Ackkk!

I notice it had a nice feature where it linked the other summaries written by that author. (Apparently not going back as far as Africa, my first summary for the board.)

Hint, hint, bring back the linking for these hard-working writers!

Posted by iltarion on 12-17-09 at 03:44 PM
The lampooning seems to be in one direction, no?
It is certainly aiming for the funnybone. Believe me, I'm not taking it serious. Just pointing it out that some will find this hilarious, and others, not at all.

>

Posted by kingfish on 12-27-09 at 01:33 PM
"The lampooning seems to be in one direction, no?"

Actually, no.

Posted by Prof_ Wagstaff on 12-18-09 at 10:15 AM
Tallulah had her bash posted right away this morning. She included my favorite exchange of the night:

While The Shambling One pretended to be picking out just the precisely-correct rope to avoid a rain of cocoanuts, before just actually grabbing one at random, Jeff also brought up the elephant on her head.

Jeff: "What do you call that hair?" (Why waste that set-up line on The Shambling One, Jeff, the only person you can be certain won't get a good punchline out of it?)

The Shambling One: "Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh." This was The Shambling One laughing in advance at her forthcoming joke, as it would get no laughs after she said it. "Shambolicious, baby."

Jeff: "How long you had it?"

The Shambling One: "Since 1986." Coincidentally, also the answer to the question "How long since you had it in you?" Or maybe it's not a coincidence.

Jeff: "Twenty-three years. That's commitment to a hairstyle." Ironically, it's a voluntary commitment that ought to have led to an involuntary commitment.

The Shambling One: "You don't mess with perfection, baby." No, you don't. But what has that to do with your hairstyle?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tallulah-morehead/isurvivor-samoai-shamblin_b_396813.html

Holiday Cheer by agman 2007.

Posted by anotherkim on 12-22-09 at 04:49 PM
her finale summary is brilliant:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tallulah-morehead/isurvivor-samoai-a-confed_b_399896.html

Kimmah Says
--I think I want to write summaries again. When's the HV sign up?

Posted by kingfish on 12-28-09 at 09:37 AM
I'm getting the same feeling. Tallulah’s columns could serve as an inspiration to those of us (I include myself here) who have grown complacent and lazy. We know we have exceptional Summary and SOTS (which also used to be linked to the RTVW page) writing talent, and rather than lament that we are reading and commenting on the Huffington writer, we should get new wind in our snarking sails and try to sharpen our own lampoon shtick.

We have a number of regulars that do keep up a steady stream of high quality Summary and SOTS writing, and I for one am grateful to them. But I think no one can deny that some of the enthusiasm has ebbed from the talent pool in general. The guy who writes this column (Tallulah) could serve to get us back in the groove.

So, I too will quit ducking the job, and if writers with superior Summary/SOTS resumes don’t fill all the spots, I will volunteer for whatever I can volunteer for next season. And by all that’s unholy I promise that I will out-snark, out-lamp, out-poon, and generally out-massacree Tallulah’s column, or I will slink away only to rise again even if I’m destined to do so in vain.

For I am indomitable. And kinda dense!

(Douglas McEwan, Aka Tallulah, does set the bar pretty high. But we have seen some pretty impressive stuff by our writers, and we can do as well or better, I believe. And we can message the RTVW to link our stuff.)