URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 400
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Why couldn't they boot somebody?"

Posted by Monkeyboy on 10-18-01 at 00:38 AM
Even though we knew there would be 3 "no-boot" episodes,
it still didn't make sense having seen it.
Even though there were "film crew problems" so the one couple
got their time rewarded and Team Guido cheated not following the instructions so they got penalized on time, it still seems like they had enough information to adjust the times and decide who whould be the last place team.
I don't get it. Why didn't they boot a team?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Why couldn't they boot somebody?"
Posted by Whiz on 10-18-01 at 02:31 AM
I think they were just doing the CYA. It wasn't announced that this would be one of the no elimination spots. I think the difficulty with Lenny & Karyn forced their hand. I actually think they made the decision on the fly. If L & K had nosed out Nancy & Emily, then I bet N & Em would have gotten the boot since the "technical problems" wouldn't have affected who got eliminated. Because it did they changed their mind. (Personally, it even looked like the hosts words were dubbed when he explained that point. It didn't look like his words matched up the video. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a little revisionist history.)

"Definitely CYA"
Posted by AddieRacer on 10-18-01 at 03:52 PM
I agree with you. I don't think there was a way to fix Lenny and Karyn's technical difficulty, except at the pit stop. If it would have made no difference, we would have just found out about it at the beginning of the next episode - where they got the time credit. Instead, we were told about the time credit about 40 minutes into the show.

When Karyn got out of the car, she clearly knew they were not going to be eliminated. So we can conclude that, sometime during this leg of the race, the producers decided noone would be eliminated - and told Lenny/Karyn about it.

Good call on the editing at the end. I looked at it again and it appears that the part edited was: "It's one of THREE non-elimination points across this race." I think the producers knew there might be problems they couldn't fix so they left options open. When this part was filmed, they knew it was a non-elimination point - but did NOT know how many there would be thoughout the race.

"RE: Why couldn't they boot somebody?"
Posted by Frau Hexe on 10-18-01 at 03:31 AM
Well, if we look at the rules on the site, it actually specifies that at most pit stops a team will be eliminated. The key there is "most." I think that they set out not to boot someone at this pit stop. Of course, they can't inform the players or us that this will be one of the no-boot stops--it would detract from the game, so it works out in everyone's favor. 1.)It makes the Guidos look even more stupid for pulling their little airport stunt; and 2.)It deals with the Karyn/Lenny issue more easily.

Keep in mind, this is going to happen a couple of more times--probably when we least expect it, so brace yourselves!

Frau Hexe