URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 3975
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"That has GOT to hurt.."

Posted by BrassFan on 09-10-10 at 09:38 PM
A clip from one of the road blocks in the upcoming season...

http://gizmodo.com/5632751/how-not-to-fire-a-watermelon-out-of-a-huge-slingshot

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: That has GOT to hurt.."
Posted by Yogi on 09-10-10 at 10:42 PM
Ouch!

Thanks for sharing the clip!

Posted by BrassFan on 09-11-10 at 10:54 AM
"I can't feel my face...."

Posted by Belle Book on 09-11-10 at 12:49 PM
I have to agree -- that has got to hurt! I feel badly for Claire!

Posted by mindy23 on 09-12-10 at 07:22 PM
OMHeck!!! A person could die...I'm sure a person could die! I thought she was going to misfire and hit that knight in the down below or something, but whack! OUCH!!!

She could've had a sub-dural hematoma, which is what killed Natasha Richardson. Except this is the FRONT and not the back-I guess some other part of the brain. WOW! Talk about taking one for the team.....Hope they got some money for that one!

Posted by Belle Book on 09-13-10 at 04:36 PM
Yeah! It could've killed Claire! She got lucky there!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-27-10 at 04:52 AM
Gotta give Claire a ton of credit there - she could have whined her way out or made a bigger deal out of it (not that there would have been anything wrong with doing so under the circumstances), but she sucked it up and nailed the knight on the second try after getting creamed.

Posted by Starshine on 09-27-10 at 10:19 AM
At least I know now why watermelons are so expensive in the UK, TAR used them all

Posted by PsychoKitty on 09-27-10 at 07:28 PM
Very funny Starshine!!!! She did show that she has gumption - that's for sure! Couldn't stand listing to Brooke cheer her on (boy does that voice sound familiar. . . ;) But that girl has balls!

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

"Medical: edited out."
Posted by Estee on 09-29-10 at 09:36 AM
According to Claire, there was a fifteen-minute cut during which TAR's medical personnel came out to check on her, concentrating on any possible damage to her right eye. (She had her head slightly turned when the watermelon ricocheted, so the impact was all to the right side of her face: fat lip, black eye, and headache.) After they decided there was nothing there to warrant removal, Medical stepped out and let Brooke & Claire decide what to do next.

I still stand by what I said in the Slaps: at that point, the responsible thing to do is stop the entire Race (which is easy -- call all camera crews and get people to pull over) while someone finds helmets. But at least there were people on-site in case of (preventable) injury.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/the-amazing-race-the-aftermath-of-the-watermelon-launch--1589

"RE: Medical: edited out."
Posted by Belle Book on 09-29-10 at 08:41 PM
I'm not surprised Medical took a good look at Claire. I'm also glad that it only hit the right side of her face -- and that she didn't have a concussion! Perhaps they should've stopped the Race so that teams can get helmets, but at least Claire wound up just fine.

Posted by jase on 09-30-10 at 00:46 AM
I'm not sure helmets would have done much good. She, or anyone else, would likely have suffered some type of injury (to a lesser extent of course).

Stopping/delaying the game isn't necessary in cases like this. Unless conditions are deemed 'life threatening' should race producers/officials step in and stop the game/competition.

This is was a freak accident that could have happened at any time regardless of any safeguards in place. Had she not turned her head, she would have likely been knocked out cold. She was very lucky.

Posted by jbug on 09-30-10 at 09:24 AM
I agree.
There are a lot of things they do that could cause injury.
When they were climbing the castle wall, it appeared they were attached to some kind of safety ropes - & had a helmet under the cloth over their heads; but if someone had fallen off the ladder, they could have bounced around against the wall & been hurt.
Makes one wonder what kind of liability release they all sign...