URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 393
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Contender Re Match Poor Judging"

Posted by FranniA on 10-16-05 at 02:10 AM
I watched the fights and the last two fights were not called right.
I have been a boxing fan for a long time and this sport more than any has some really unfair calls.......
Peter won that fight fair and square.
Anthony won his fight.
Do the judges think we are stupid.
They need to fix it and make it right.
Anthony and Peter won fair and square.
I am disgusted!
FA

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Contender Re Match Poor Judging"
Posted by Boxingfan76 on 10-16-05 at 02:16 AM
It was HORRIBLE!!! I "was" a loyal fan of this show, watching every episode last season. After what I saw tonight I will NOT watch another episode of this crap. The judging was so bad that I wonder why they call this "reality television". The reality is that the judges were the worst I have ever seen.

Bonsante should have won and Manfredo should have won.

Posted by PequenaGA on 10-16-05 at 02:18 AM
I totally agree, it was a bunch of bull. It's all about the money. I'm not interested in the Contender 2. I would be ok with the decisions if Sergio and Jesse won the fights fair and square but they didn't. Peter and Anthony were robbed! I'm disgusted!!!!

Posted by fire194 on 10-16-05 at 02:22 AM
Those were some of the worst judged fights in the history of professional fights. It is a sad day when ESPN has fixed fights live on their channel. I just feel bad for Bosante and Manfredo Jr., they won fair and square.

Posted by ssgtusmc on 10-16-05 at 02:26 AM
The Contender actually turned me on to boxing. I had little to no interest until I saw a little into the lives of these guys. The contender REMATCH turned me off boxing again. I feel bad for Basante and Manfredo because they fought great fights and certainly won them. To top it off Manfredo was robbed by a girlscout in boxing trunks. I will stick with the reality of WWE. (well, more reality then this crap we watched tonight anyways.) LOL

Posted by linken99 on 10-16-05 at 07:42 AM
It's really sad that ESPN and the creators of The Contender think we are really THIS STUPID! I really can't imagine why Sly or Sugar Ray would even allow themselves to be associated with this bullsh*t after this! Just like Manfredo told Sergio when they read off there pre-written cue cards, "You know you did NOT win that fight!", the whole world knows Sergio did NOT win that fight!
The same goes for Brinkley, if not more! Basonte' whipped his tail like Brinkley was a red-headed step child and we all watched, there wasn't a doubt about that!
Makes you wonder if Peter busted Sergio's eye so hard that it affected the judges vision 30 minutes back!!!
Or was that a head butt as Sergio cried, as the world saw Peter stun the slithering s-s-s-s-snake?

Posted by ssd on 10-16-05 at 02:23 AM
i totally agree. I just watched the Contender Rematch, and was completely shocked at the travesty of justice done by the judges for the Manfredo, Jr./Mora match, as well as the Bostante/Brinkely match.

First, the judges handed the victory to Brinkley when clearly, even non-experts and mere spectators can agree, that Bostante was the winner. And in the following match, although a little closer match to call, Manfredo, Jr. clearly took the rematch.

These rematches were rigged, packaged into a so called reality TV show, and it's too bad that Mora will take the belt that he does not deserve. Obviously, these judges were paid in advance to make these choices regardless how hard both Bostante and Manfredo, Jr. fought. All the hard work, dedication was for naught for both these guys. ESPN should not televise pre-fixed match-ups and call it a realty TV. This is TV junk.

Posted by barenzr on 10-16-05 at 02:26 AM
Complete Bull Sh*T

Posted by Screamiv on 10-16-05 at 02:25 AM
unbelievable...pooooor judging, as you can see by the disappointment of posters here. I was a fan of Brinkley, but I really thought Bonsante won that fight, and don't get me started about the mora/manfredo fight, complete bullcrap. If I was a blind judge, I could do do better than those nimwits on that panel.

Posted by ssgtusmc on 10-16-05 at 02:28 AM
I couldn't agree more, I am a Brinkley fan as well but he didn't seem to be there tonight. He seemed a million miles away, and just flat out lost.

Posted by evalde26 on 10-16-05 at 02:28 AM
I agree with you. Those judges should have their asses kicked. If those fights weren't fixed...the judges were just blind and stupid.

Posted by newtothegame on 10-16-05 at 02:55 AM
This event (if you can call it that) was absolutely unbelievable. What the **** were these so called judges looking at? Now for my take:

I agree that the first fight should not have been stopped even though Gomez was beating the daylights out of Perez. He still was fighting back. Gomez is a beast and showed it from start to finish.

As for Jesse and Anthony, they both now should expect to get invitations for the next celebrity ballroom dancing competition. Jesse, if by chance you are reading this, don't move up to the next weight class yet, and learn how to properly prepare for your fights! I have to say Jesse, you really disappointed me. You are a much better fighter than you showed!

And now for the main event. For Sergio to actually have the balls to say he won the fight is an embarrasment to the sport! I'd love to hear his comments after he has watched the replay. Perhaps he will be a REAL champion and give belt to the NEW champion and rightful owner...Peter Manfredo Jr.
By the way Peter, nice work tonight, sorry you got jacked for all you hard work.

What I find interesting is that no one interviewed Sly after the main event. Would love to have heard his comments as well. Anybody know where Ray Leonard was?

All in all, this was truly a disappointment and will most likely greatly affect the ratings for the second season. Good luck ESPN on finding sponsors!

Posted by Xcited DesWif on 10-16-05 at 10:12 AM
I must agree with everyone else. I watched the fight last night and CAN NOT see how in the world the judges could've given it to Mora (well, that's what they did -they gave it to him!!). I am a huge fan of Peetah's (use to always post under stephs47) and I was so excited when I found out there was going to be a re-match. Then when they first showed Peter last night I was very impressed with him...he looked bigger,he looked healthier and he looked like he was ready to kick some a@@. Which is exactly what he did, he came out and fought like a real champ. I just wish he would've knocked him out, but then again he prolly still would'a lost. Burnett, I hope you have enough guts to take another look at that cause I have a feeling you are going to lose your butt now. And as far as everyone saying Mora won because of where they fought, that's a crock of you know what-everyone there knew he got beat. Did anyone look at his girlfriend , his mom and his "posse"-the looks on their faces were priceless at the end of the match. They knew their "snake" lost. I really hate this for Peter-he looked so good in the ring last night-I just hope he still gets a chance to make his mark in boxing...he needs to get away from the "Contender" and stick with Roach, I would like to see him go somewhere!!!

Posted by Bebo on 10-16-05 at 09:46 AM
Welcome to the new posters who have been expressing their disgust at the results. We're a threaded community here, so we try to keep discussions on a particular topic within one thread instead of starting new ones. That way, posters don't feel like they have to repeat themselves by responding to multiple threads.

Since this thread has a lot of activity on it, I'll keep this one open for discussing results and lock the rest as duplicates.

Posted by fmineo on 10-16-05 at 10:45 AM
The "Latin Snake" is a joke. He is a horrible fighter and got lucky. You could see how desperate he was. It was just a terrible injustice. The survivor franchise holder, Mark Burnett, is ultimately responsible and it puts a black eye on his franchise. He is responsible for making sure things aren't pre-written, like giving a win to Mora. Mora clearly lost the fight. Peter Manfredo threw 190 more punches and landed 25% more of the time. It wasn't even close. When Mora was asked about the cut, he blamed it on a head but. It was clearly a right hook to his eye. It would be interesting to see how much money he has left out of the million. Not much I'm sure.

Posted by lt619 on 10-16-05 at 11:56 AM
Peter almost got away with robbery.
He came in and used his head as a weapon in at least 3 occasions of the first round. If you watch the footage where Sergio says he was head butted you will see it. (Instant Replay and slow motion don't lie) Congrats to the Latin Snake for comming back like a true warrior. Peter is now on a losing streak. LMAO

He could not finish off the Latin Snake even though he head butted the living crap out of Sergio in the first round. I guess next time Peter will bring some brass knuckles or a roll of quarters.

Posted by Xcited DesWif on 10-16-05 at 07:25 PM
That has to be one of the most absurd things that I have ever heard...hope you sleep good at night because you are lying to yourself!

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 10-16-05 at 09:00 PM
You guys are forgetting that the Gomez fight was rigged too. Sure Gomez was winning but the ref wanted to assure a Gomez win so he stopped the fight even though Perz was still fighting and was still coherent.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 10-16-05 at 09:03 PM
Another Thing about the Mora fight. Mora fans want to think this guy won, but after the fight Manfredo didn't have one mark on his face. Meaning as Manfredo said the punches never connected....either that or Mora has about as much power as a little girl. What a joke last night was...at this point I can careless about the Contender too, because if reality tv means fixing fights to get the outcome they desire forget it.

Posted by varock on 10-16-05 at 10:06 PM
>Another Thing about the Mora fight.
> Mora fans want to
>think this guy won, but
>after the fight Manfredo didn't
>have one mark on his
>face. Meaning as Manfredo
>said the punches never connected....either
>that or Mora has about
>as much power as a
>little girl. What a
>joke last night was...at this
>point I can careless about
>the Contender too, because if
>reality tv means fixing fights
>to get the outcome they
>desire forget it.

i was actually attending the event at staples center last night. at first, i though sergio won 3 rounds at the most. but i also kept in mind the fact that i had shitty seats and i couldn't see how cleanly the punches were landing for either fighters. but i focused on the output they both gave and peter threw more punches and seemed busier with his counter-punches. however, when i came home to actually watch the fight that aired, i realized the fight was a lot closer than it appeared. sergio fought in bursts, but he was landing clean shots in the bursts. peter's body language was awful. he had moments of brilliance and moments where he just didn't even try to fight back. in the end, i scored it a draw. a couple rounds were really tough to call and could've gone either way. since it was in mora's backyard, i'm not surprised at the outcome. now i'm not saying mora won by any means. i don't believe that. i just don't believe manfredo dominated like everyone says he did. he claimed he thought mora won 2 rounds...thats BS. and that argument you bring with manfredo's face being unmarked is not valid. the referee was clearly wrong when he ruled the cut was from a punch. manfredo was leading off with his head many times in the first round and if you look at mora without the bleeding at the end of the fight, he was unmarked too. no swelling or anything.

but i agree with the bonsante vs. brinkley robbery. that was a remarkably bad decision.

Posted by Circpro on 10-16-05 at 10:02 PM
You are right TiVo doesn't lie... Nice Punch Peter!!!

I am not surprised at the judges scorecards as this has been a trend in boxing for years.

What irritates me more is that Peter has this nasty blemish on his record. he lost their first fight no question, but with Freddy Roach in the corner he found the gameplan that worked.

How ironic was it that Peter be victim of a bad call after his father reaped the rewards one fighter earlier...

Posted by mariner42 on 10-17-05 at 06:13 AM
You're right slo-mo doesn't lie...only Mark Burnett and his paid off judges and refs do. Manfredo...sorry you got totally shafted but at least you made him bleed like a sissy when you landed that right hook!!!

Posted by Glow on 10-17-05 at 10:12 AM
I totally agree and thought the same exact thing. So did my fiance.

Posted by ChicagoTRS on 10-17-05 at 03:38 PM
These were normal boxing judges...likely not assigned by the television show...anyone think that these judges could have been paid off by one of the existig boxing organizations to make the fights controversial and make the Contender seem illegitimate?

The Contender is certainly stepping on the toes of some of the existing boxing community and I put nothing past the existing boxing community at causing chaos. Trying to control the Contender before it takes off...

Posted by ChicagoTRS on 10-17-05 at 03:45 PM
>These were normal boxing judges...likely not
>assigned by the television show...anyone
>think that these judges could
>have been paid off by
>one of the existig boxing
>organizations to make the fights
>controversial and make the Contender
>seem illegitimate?
>
>The Contender is certainly stepping on
>the toes of some of
>the existing boxing community and
>I put nothing past the
>existing boxing community at causing
>chaos. Trying to control
>the Contender before it takes
>off...

Look at every post and everyone is complaining about the judging saying they will never watch again etc...I lean towards someone wanting to make this look like a big farce and destroying the Contender before it gets started. MB and ESPN had talked about starting their own boxing "league"...that was legitimate...took care of the fighters...etc...doubt the other boxing bodies that have been robbing fighters blind for many years liked hearing that sort of talk.

I am not sure what it gains The Contender fixing the fights? Especially the Brinkley vs Bonsante fight. At least with Mora they keep his record unblemished.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 10-18-05 at 09:48 AM
LAST EDITED ON 10-19-05 AT 02:07 PM (EST)

To answer your question, you answer your own question about what does Burnett gain by fixing the Mora/Manfredo fight. Put it this way, if you manage two horses in the last leg of the gold crown....they are running neck and neck but one horse has won the first two legs. You can't tell me you will fix it so you win the triple crown. The problem is Burnett manages both fighters.

As for Brinkley winning a fixed fight against Bonsante. Have you seen Bonsante's career record? Plus he is 35 years old, he would get nothing out of Bonsante but Brinkley has some marketing ability.

The problem here is all the fighters sign a contract with Burnett before the show begins. So all are managed by Burnett...Burnett puts on the show and Burnett is the man who will take some of the purse for future fights. I can see how Burnett fixed those fights. And I can see now how guys like Ishe wanted out of this mess. Ishe says he won his fight against Mora and it was the editing that made it look to the tv viewers that Mora won the fight. Could Burnett be more crooked than Don King?

Posted by Markaa015 on 10-31-05 at 03:18 PM
I was a huge Sergio Mora fan and didnt like Peter too much so this isnt biased at all. Sergio got his head smashed in, in the rematch in my opinion he took 2 rounds in all. However with Manfredo Senior ( or sum1 from his corner )obviously fixing the fight against Anthony Bonsante for Jesse Brinkley he can av no complaints that his son was a victim of the same crime. The Alfonso match should never have been stopped either!!!!

Disgrace