URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 3916
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"TAR 16 Roadblock Tally"

Posted by Seana on 02-16-10 at 00:52 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-10 AT 03:10 PM (EST)

Hello again! Another season of TAR, another set of tasks that only one team member may perform.

Episode 1: Walk Cable
Walk across a cable suspended 120 feet in the air.
Who? Caite, BB Jordan, Joe, Allie, Dan, Brandy, Shawne, Adrian, Louie, Shannon, Cord

Tally

Brent....0
Caite.....1

Jet......0
Cord....1

Steve....0
Allie......1

Dan.......1
Jordan...0

Jordan....1
Jeff........0

Jodi.........0
Shannon....1

Louie...1
Mike.....0

Monique....0
Shawne.....1

Joe.......1
Heidi....0

Carol......0
Brandy....1

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian....0.5

Discussion

- Poor Adrian! Not just to fall off once, but twice! But I have to ask, was he too tangled to do as Dan did and go hand-over-hand, dragging himself along so he didn't lose any time?

- Cord just motored, didn't he?

Edit because only Brandy did the RB, not Carol.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: TAR 16 Roadblock Tally"
Posted by jbug on 02-16-10 at 09:59 AM
Adrian & Dana's 1st and last mistake - choosing wrong for the RB. Adrian was too heavy; when he fell, I think his weight pulled him so far below the cable he just couldn't get a grip on it to pull himself along.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 02-16-10 at 12:57 PM
That is what I saw. Assuming he had the upper-body strength, he could not reach up enough because:

A) His weight caused the safety line to sag so much it had a sharp angle upwards from tackle point.

B) I could be wrong but it looks like his attachment line to the runner on the safety line was far longer than the guy who pulled himself along. That could have been a mistake in adjustment, or maybe it was setup that way because he was a big guy. Personally, in that situation you would want that line/strap to be as short as possible - being just loose enough to not interfer with your hand movements as you travel the lines.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 02-17-10 at 12:56 PM
PS. Thanks for posting the tallies.

"Episode 2"
Posted by Seana on 02-24-10 at 10:54 AM
Episode 2: Collect Ingredients
Collect the 5 ingredients needed to make Kuchen: sugar, eggs, flour, butter and milk, fresh from the cow.
Who? Cord, Carol, Heidi, Brent, Jeff, Steve, Monique, Jordan, Mike, Jody

Who? Caite, BB Jordan, Joe, Allie, Dan, Brandy, Shawne, Adrian, Louie, Shannon, Cord

Tally

Brent....1
Caite.....1

Jet......0
Cord....2

Steve....1
Allie......1

Dan.......1
Jordan...1

Jordan....1
Jeff........1

Louie...1
Mike.....1

Monique....1
Shawne.....1

Joe.......1
Heidi....1

Carol......1
Brandy....1

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian....0.5

Jodi.......1
Shannon....1

Discussion:

- Jet and Cord are off to an odd start with Cord doing the first to RBs. Hard to argue with success, though.

- Poor Jody! Did she have a bruise there in the final confessional?

- No-one was fooled by the "baker's dozen".

"RE: Episode 2"
Posted by featherfish81 on 02-24-10 at 09:14 PM
Yeah, I thought the baker's dozen would throw someone. Although, I think if the other member of some pairs had done it, there might have been some confusion.

Also, did they have to carry all of the ingredients at once, or could they have made two trips to the kitchen? They all did, but they didn't have to go that far and it doesn't seem like two trips would take that much extra time.

"Episode 3"
Posted by Seana on 03-01-10 at 00:31 AM
Episode 3: Steer Roping
Rope a hay-bale steer from 18 feet away and pull it towards you to receive your next clue.
Who? Jet, Heidi, Carol, Jeff, Steve, Louie, Dan, Shawne, Brent

Collect the 5 ingredients needed to make Kuchen: sugar, eggs, flour, butter and milk, fresh from the cow.

Tally

Brent....2
Caite.....1

Jet......1
Cord....2

Steve....2
Allie......1

Dan.......2
Jordan...1

Jordan....1
Jeff.........2

Louie....2
Mike.....1

Joe.......1
Heidi.....2

Carol.......2
Brandy....1

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian....0.5

Jodi..........1
Shannon....1

Monique....1
Shawne.....1

Discussion:

- Jet and Brent both roped their stationary steer on the second go.

- Poor Shawne! Monique was nicely supportive, at least.

"Episode 4"
Posted by Seana on 03-08-10 at 03:35 AM
Episode 4: Bungee Jump
The obligatory bungee jump, with the added fun of being an Intersection, so 2 team members from different teams jump together.
Who? Jet and Mike, Joe and Allie, Brandy and Dan, Caite and Jordan (peach)

Rope a hay-bale steer from 18 feet away and pull it towards you to receive your next clue.

Tally

Brent....2
Caite.....2

Jet......2
Cord....2

Steve....2
Allie......2

Dan.......3
Jordan...1

Jordan....2
Jeff.........2

Louie....2
Mike.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Carol.......2
Brandy....2

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian....0.5

Jodi..........1
Shannon....1

Monique....1
Shawne.....1

Discussion:

- I'm not sure if this Intersection counts towards the 6-RB max, but it makes more sense that it would, so I will do so here.

- Phil made it sound like the Racers would have to work together in some way. The only way they had to work together was getting to the RB on the subway. Which only Caite and Jordan had trouble with. Twits.

"RE: Episode 4"
Posted by Starshine on 03-08-10 at 08:31 AM
I hadn't noticed Adrian being only .5 before

If Jordan is the one who has the dream of being on the Race and was desparate to take part why is Dan doing all the tasks?

"RE: Episode 4"
Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 03-08-10 at 09:32 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-08-10 AT 09:34 AM (EST)

Good question. As always there seems to be people who enter the race thinking it will be easy only to find out how hard it really is.

The problem of-course is all the other teams are 2-2, not sharing task can come back and bite you big time later.

"Episode 5"
Posted by Seana on 03-15-10 at 00:53 AM
There may have been a Roadblock, but if there was, we didn't see it.

I really hate it when we don't see the Roadblock. And what did we get to see instead? Jeff and Jordan being lost all over France? Various Racers not apparently understanding the difference between WWI and WWII? Brandy whining because the Detour didn't involve a wine-tasting or a pedicure? Joe and Heidi trying to decipher Morse Code?

Pfft.

"RE: Episode 5"
Posted by jbug on 03-15-10 at 08:14 AM
Maybe we'll find out in a Joe & Heidi interview if there was one.
I agree, we want to see it all Phil; all of it!

Elvis in In The House - Capt'n 2010

"Episode 6"
Posted by Seana on 03-21-10 at 11:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-10 AT 01:34 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-22-10 AT 03:16 PM (EST)

Episode 6: Rappel and Search
Rappel down a narrow shaft into a champagne cellar and search through "millions" of bottles to find one that is marked in Race colours. Open it with a sabre.
Who? Jordan, Louie, Steve, Brandy, Cord, Brent, Jeff

Episode 5: Roadblock not shown

The obligatory bungee jump, with the added fun of being an Intersection, so 2 team members from different teams jump together.

Tally

Brent....3
Caite.....2

Jet......2
Cord....3

Steve....3
Allie......2

Dan.......3
Jordan...2

Louie....3
Mike.....2

Carol.......2
Brandy....3

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian.....0.5

Jodi...........1
Shannon....1

Monique.....1
Shawne.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Jordan.....2
Jeff.........3

Discussion:
- Why did Jeff think he would get rabies in a champagne cellar? OK, it's a "cave" and all, but seriously.

- Jordan did the hardest Roadblock ever. It was kind of funny to watch how excited he was after in the car, telling Dan how difficult the task had been.

- I'm glad the Racers weren't shown looking endlessly. Perhaps because there were 2 search tasks in this ep. Those are dull to watch.

- Brandy is a whiner.

Edit to add 1 to Brandy's count.

"RE: Episode 6"
Posted by rasslinmomma on 03-22-10 at 02:10 PM
Didn't Jordan mention that he had to do the Roadblock because Dan was up 3-1? Sounds like maybe there wasn't a roadblock in Ep 5 at all.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Posted by Seana on 03-22-10 at 03:15 PM
Oh! I didn't hear that. I'll have to check my tape. Thanks!

Posted by Seana on 03-23-10 at 00:31 AM
Hey, you're right!

It seems odd that they would have a leg without a Roadblock, but the only other option is that that confessional segment with Dan and Jordan was completely fabricated. Not entirely unlikely, of course.

Even still, we'll go on faith that Jordan truthfully only had 1 RB to Dan's 3, as he said.

Thanks so much, r-momma!

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 03-23-10 at 12:08 PM
Interesting indeed. And this appears to confirms the limit on road blocks per racers.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 03-23-10 at 02:49 PM
Don't forget the power of editing. As we've seen on Survivor numerous times, CBS and their merry band of editors have no problem at all with taking a scene from a previous episode and inserting it into a current episode.

For all we know, they took a scene from before the (hidden) Episode 5 Roadblock and put it in this week so the numbers would make sense. I think, though, it's more likely they just decided not to have a Roadblock because the WW1 battle scene took so long and took so much physically out of the racers that they dropped whatever they had planned for the Roadblock.

Posted by jbug on 03-24-10 at 08:21 AM
I couldn't figure out how they could call that rappelling.
They were lowered down a shaft strapped into a harness w/ another person hanging beside/slightly above them.

We've seen rappelling before; one season even when they had to rappel head first down the building.
That? was not rappelling IMO.

Posted by featherfish81 on 03-26-10 at 08:33 PM
Yeah, I wondered what the other person was doing there.

I actually thought it would be easier to rappel down a shaft, even if it was farther, because it wouldn't seem as far. You couldn't see the bottom, and there wouldn't be all of the wind like on a tall building.

"Episode 7"
Posted by Seana on 03-29-10 at 03:07 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-29-10 AT 03:08 AM (EST)

Episode 7: 7 Bottles Up
Dive down to the bottom of the ocean (in a shallow spot) to find a case of 7 bottles, retrieve one, decipher the map therein.
Who? Steve, Jordan, Brent, Mike, Brandy, Cord

Rappel down a narrow shaft into a champagne cellar and search through "millions" of bottles to find one that is marked in Race colours. Open it with a sabre.

Episode 5: No Roadblock, apparently

Tally

Brent....4
Caite.....2

Jet......2
Cord....4

Steve....4
Allie......2

Dan.......3
Jordan...3

Louie....3
Mike.....3

Carol.......2
Brandy....4

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian.....0.5

Jodi...........1
Shannon....1

Monique.....1
Shawne.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Jordan.....2
Jeff.........3

Discussion:

- The bottles weren't that hard to untie, apparently. Brandy seemed to flip the rope off hers almost nonchalantly.

- Only Mike/Louie and Dan/Jordan have done an equal number of RB's. Everyone else is 2-4.

ETF HTML

"RE: Episode 7"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 03-29-10 at 07:28 AM
Hmmm. This could be trouble for Caite as she'll panic her way through most of the roadblocks. The others who have only done two (Allie, Jet, Carol) should be fine depending on the task.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 03-29-10 at 11:24 AM
The last three road blocks have not been that hard. Basically, I expect any team member to be able to do them. So why so few teams that have evened up the number of tasks done?

If the roadblocks start becoming hard again then some team members may be forced to do things they are not suited for.

Posted by featherfish81 on 04-06-10 at 07:34 PM
Late comment, but I was thinking maybe the bottles were kind of tied to each other, so it was harder for the first teams than the last ones. For them the rope had a lot of slack in it?

"Episode 8"
Posted by Seana on 04-05-10 at 01:17 AM
Episode 8: Smash Coconuts
Find one coconut among hundreds that has coloured milk. Use that coconut to create a traditional Hindu offering and have it sent out to sea.
Who? Jet, Carol, Louie, Jordan, Caite, Allie

Dive down to the bottom of the ocean (in a shallow spot) to find a case of 7 bottles, retrieve one, decipher the map therein.

Tally

Brent....4
Caite.....3

Jet......3
Cord....4

Dan.......3
Jordan...4

Louie....4
Mike.....3

Carol.......3
Brandy....4

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian.....0.5

Jodi...........1
Shannon....1

Monique.....1
Shawne.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Jordan.....2
Jeff.........3

Steve....4
Allie......3

Discussion:

- The building was OK, but the searching...

- Yes, Jordan, at this stage in the Race, not reading the clue does make you an idiot.

"Episode 9"
Posted by Seana on 04-12-10 at 00:53 AM
Episode 9: Count Chain Links
Count 521 links of a huge chain in a shipyard with many distracting noises all around.
Who? Brent, Mike, Carol, Jet
Dan and Jordan take the Fast Forward and do not perform the RB.

Find one coconut among hundreds that has coloured milk. Use that coconut to create a traditional Hindu offering and have it sent out to sea.

Tally

Brent.....5
Caite.....3

Jet.......4
Cord.....4

Dan.......3
Jordan...4

Dan and Jordan take the Fast Forward in Episode 9.

Louie....4
Mike.....4

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian.....0.5

Jodi...........1
Shannon....1

Monique.....1
Shawne.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Jordan.....2
Jeff.........3

Steve....4
Allie......3

Carol.......4
Brandy....4

Discussion:

- Weird that Brent did the task. Now he's got 5 RBs and she only has 3. It's not as if it was so hard. I guess the clue about being able to handle stress was what made Caite decide to sit this one out?

- Everyone seemed to get the right number on the first try, so I guess the distractions weren't distracting enough.

- Mike forgot to get his clipboard. And they were so proud last week or the week before since they always read their clue.

- I wonder how long the task took? 15, 20 minutes?

"RE: Episode 9"
Posted by Starshine on 04-12-10 at 03:27 PM
Two very dull Road Blocks in a row <sigh>

Why wasn't the Singapore Flyer the Road Block? That would have been more entertaining.

Sunning with the Cap'n

Just another Sleeperbloke

Posted by Seana on 04-12-10 at 07:37 PM
Two very dull Road Blocks in a row <sigh>

I know!

Posted by featherfish81 on 04-24-10 at 09:14 PM
I was thinking about it, and I wonder if it's because the links were all in a row that it was easier for the contestants. There have been counting tasks in the past (off the top of my head - bells in a bell tower, steps, fence posts) and I think this is the first time we've seen every team get it right on the first try.

"Mental Tasks"
Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 04-23-10 at 03:43 PM
Bring on the mental tasks, I want to see meltdown like we saw in the last TAR!

"RE: Mental Tasks"
Posted by kidflash212 on 04-26-10 at 03:50 PM
We haven't been treated to the sight of Caite and Brent having to do math. Maybe the finale will include another count out a million in something task.

"Episode 10 - Twofer!"
Posted by Seana on 04-26-10 at 01:32 AM
Episode 10a: Make Noodles

Did you say noodles?

Why yes! Using a traditional method, make 1kg of noodles. Get your next clue from Ping Ping, the world's smallest man.
Who? Caite, Jet, Jordan, Louie

Episode 10b: Assemble Puzzle
Assemble a giant 97-piece puzzle that has a picture on one side and the directions to the next clue on the other. The puzzle pieces will be held up and flipped over by spectators at a football (soccer?) field to reveal the seat # where the next clue can be found. The team member who did not perform the last RB must perform this one.
Who? Cord, Brent, Mike, Dan

Count 521 links of a huge chain in a shipyard with many distracting noises all around.

Tally

Brent.....6
Caite.....4

Jet.......5
Cord.....5

Dan.......4
Jordan...5

Louie....5
Mike.....5

Discussion:

- And with that, Brent appears to be out of RBs. Kewl. I suppose it depends on whether there are 2 episodes left or 3. I think it's probably 2, but when I looked around very briefly just now, I couldn't find anything to say definitively. Likely next week will be the last elimination leg and then the following week will be the finale. So if there are RBs in both legs, Caite will do both. Unfortunately, she isn't as whiny as you might imagine, so I wonder if this turn of events will affect their standing in the game at all. I really, really hope so, though. Good grief, the thought of these two in the finals just makes me ill.

- Jordan is such a whiner. But how nice of Dan to give him the support he needed during the noodle task.

- Ping Ping was only 21 when he died of heart complications. He was also a chain smoker, according to Wikipedia.

- Who was that old woman? She kind of freaked me out a bit.

- OMG, poor Cord and Brent at the Puzzle RB. The wind must have been so frustrating. But good for Cord for not flipping out like Brent did.

- Mike can't solve a puzzle, but he is trusted to solve crimes. Uh-huh.

- Louie was already giving the loser speech before they left the stadium.

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian.....0.5

Jodi...........1
Shannon....1

Monique.....1
Shawne.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Jordan.....2
Jeff.........3

Steve....4
Allie......3

Carol.......4
Brandy....4

"RE: Episode 10 - Twofer!"
Posted by ARnutz on 04-26-10 at 10:24 AM
It's 2 more episodes. The finale is May 9th. Survivor finale is the following Sunday, May 16th.

...but isn't there usually no roadblock in the finale? I can't recall. Maybe sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't.

Posted by Seana on 04-26-10 at 11:04 AM
I can remember seasons when the last task was an RB for one team member - the season with the Hippies, for example. But the last couple seasons, the last task has been for both team members. It makes sense that they would keep it that way, but I just don't know.

Posted by samboohoo on 04-26-10 at 12:00 PM
And Cord hit the nail on the head when he said, "Throwing a fit ain't gonna help me get it done."

This is why I like them sooooo much.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by kidflash212 on 04-26-10 at 03:48 PM
I did like the twist of two Roadblocks with each team member having to perform one. Too bad they didn't have this during Chip & Kim's season.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by samboohoo on 04-26-10 at 03:53 PM
Agree.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by featherfish81 on 04-26-10 at 06:19 PM
I wonder what they would have done if one team member was already out of roadblocks? Would they get a pass, or would the other team member have to do both? I imagine they just didn't read that part of the clue because it wasn't relevant, but I'm not sure.

Posted by kidflash212 on 04-26-10 at 09:43 PM
I'm not sure the Lazy Azz Kim rule is still in effect. They haven't mentioned it in a long time. Maybe it was repealed.

"Episode 11"
Posted by Seana on 05-03-10 at 01:29 AM
Episode 11: Count Statues
Count all the golden statues in one room of a temple.
Who? Caite, Jet, Dan, Louie

Using a traditional method, make 1kg of noodles. Get your next clue from Ping Ping, the world's smallest man.

Assemble a giant 97-piece puzzle that has a picture on one side and the directions to the next clue on the other. The puzzle pieces will be held up and flipped over by spectators at a football (soccer?) field to reveal the seat # where the next clue can be found. The team member who did not perform the last RB must perform this one.

Tally

Brent.....6
Caite.....5

Jet.......6
Cord.....5

Dan.......5
Jordan...5

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian.....0.5

Jodi...........1
Shannon....1

Monique.....1
Shawne.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Jordan.....2
Jeff.........3

Steve....4
Allie......3

Carol.......4
Brandy....4

Louie....6
Mike.....5

Discussion:

- I'm not sure if a counting task qualifies as a task that demonstrates Caite's smarts. She re-counted 4 times.

- Good idea letting Dan do this one. I can't imagine Jordan having been able to handle it. Finding that cask in France was super-hard, after all.

- This was a freaking boring task. Coupled with the freaking boring Detour, I have been wondering WTF. Maybe it's because these types of tasks require a bit of concentration and it's late in the Race and everyone is tired. Or something. Anyway, they're in China for crying out loud. Surely there was something better than counting statues in a temple.

"RE: Episode 11"
Posted by MissMyth on 05-03-10 at 12:25 PM
Let's not forget the freaking boring Speed Bump.

"RE: Episode 11"
Posted by PsychoKitty on 05-03-10 at 05:47 PM
Yeah, we can do an entire GUFU thread just on that!

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

"Final Tally"
Posted by Seana on 05-10-10 at 02:46 AM
Finale: Climb Coit Tower
Much as it sounds: climb a tower, get a clue, be lowered down.
Who? Dan, Cord, Brent

Episode 11: Count Statues
Count all the golden statues in one room of a temple.
Who? Caite, Jet, Dan, Louie

Using a traditional method, make 1kg of noodles. Get your next clue from Ping Ping, the world's smallest man.

Tally

Brent.....7
Caite.....5

Jet.......6
Cord.....6

Dan.......6
Jordan...5

Eliminated Players

Dana......0
Adrian.....0.5

Jodi...........1
Shannon....1

Monique.....1
Shawne.....2

Joe.......2
Heidi.....2

Jordan.....2
Jeff.........3

Steve....4
Allie......3

Carol.......4
Brandy....4

Louie....6
Mike.....5

Discussion:

OK, I admit to a bit of confusion. Caite should have done the RB. I cannot imagine that the LAK rule would have been repealed, so I have to assume that there was some instruction that it didn't matter which teammate performed the task or perhaps the number of obligatory RB's is down to a fixed number of 5 instead of half.

Otherwise, nothing much of note here. The IL&M task was way, way cooler.

"RE: Final Tally"
Posted by HistoryDetective on 05-10-10 at 05:39 AM
I cannot imagine that the LAK rule would have been repealed, so I have to assume that there was some instruction that it didn't matter which teammate performed the task or perhaps the number of obligatory RB's is down to a fixed number of 5 instead of half.

Do we know for certain that the Lazy Azz Kim Rule was officially half when it was put into effect? Is it possible that it has always been "Racers must stay within two Roadblocks of their teammate."

Posted by CTgirl on 05-10-10 at 06:56 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-10-10 AT 06:56 AM (EST)

I'm also wondering if the episode where both team members did a roadblock affected the number of roadblocks a person could do.

ETA: Everything about the IL&M stop was cool!

Cappy's Springtime

Posted by Seana on 05-10-10 at 09:58 AM
The whole reason I started doing this tally in the first place is that Phil told us that Racers could not perform more than 6 RBs. That was the 6th season.

From Wikipedia:

Early seasons allowed teams to distribute the Roadblocks between the team members as they desired, which allowed one team member to do nearly all the Roadblocks. This was changed in Season 6, which limited a single teammate to a maximum number of Roadblocks they could complete, normally six, thus forcing their partner to perform roughly half of the Roadblocks as well.<7> Recent seasons have not explicitly stated this rule but teams have maintained an even distribution of Roadblocks throughout the Race. Racers can be heard saying they've done "all my Roadblocks" or "saving the last one".<8> During the "Family Edition" some Roadblocks required two people from each 4-person team to participate; due to this, the Roadblock limit was not enforced for that Race. During an Intersection, one person from each of the Intersected teams must work together to complete the Roadblock.

The Wiki entry mentions the 2 RBs from this season, so it seems up-to-date.

I should have submitted questions about the LAK when Webby was interviewing eliminated teams and asking us for questions.