URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID1
Thread Number: 3902
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"S18 Gufu Award: Week 1"

Posted by dabo on 02-13-09 at 01:33 AM
Welcome back, friends! The Gufu Award was established for pointing out the dangdumbest game moves in Survivor. Each week you have a designated number of votes you may award for Contestant Gufus! Should you notice any gufus of dangdumbness for noncontestant stuff, these are Production Gufus, a separate category with its very own designated number of votes you may award. Should you wish to exceed your designated votes, these are Honorary Gufus.

So, this week you have sixteen (16) Contestant votes and unlimited (unlimited) Production votes.

Oh, wait, that would be totally cool, except ten of the new dumdums were virtually invisible this time.

Production:, I mean hey I might as well start the ball rolling: The whole vote someone out on first glance thing, but not really, it totally didn't work. Granted, it saved your best centerfold models for a bit, but it did not really work so well.

Carolina: Shut up already. You may not have deserved to be the first offed, you had the eyecandy thing in your favor, but that sqeaky high irritrating voice, seriously, shut up once in awhile.

Sandy: A pace is like a normal step, how could anyone not know that?

Production: Ten paces as a clue?! You should know by now how moronic your casting department thinks.
"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: S18 Gufu Award: Week 1"
Posted by Max Headroom on 02-13-09 at 07:53 AM
Contestant: Sandy. In choosing to look for the hidden immunity idol instead of setting up camp, you had to expect the "What did you do for the last four hours?" questions when the rest of your tribe arrived. Using a few minutes to think up a good answer would've been a smart idea.

Contestant: Sandy. Once your tribe has declared you the sacrificial old lady, the smart move is to try to integrate socially. Maybe that happened and we didn't see it due to the magic of editing, but working your butt off in challenges will only get an outcast so far. While the surprise boot of squeaky, blabby Carolina kept you around, it didn't do much for your long-term chances.

Contestant: Carolina. Once Sandy was identified as the sacrificial old lady, the smart play was to lay low and let her get booted. Instead you ran your mouth so much that you talked yourself out of the game.

Contestant: Sierra. For copping an attitude about being sick. Everyone who's ever watched a single episode of Survivor knows that a sick person is an immediate boot, so why the attitude? Do you think that being irritating will change that much past history? Get well quick or you'll be recovering at the Ponderosa.

Production: The challenge. I thought the "kitchen sink" challenge came at the end of the season? With so much jammed into that challenge, will there be anything remotely unique or interesting left over for the (many) upcoming challenges?

agman's helping me survive

Posted by byoffer on 02-13-09 at 08:23 AM
Greedy Max took them all.

Oh wait, I thought of one more.

Jalapeno tribe - nice work failing to get any water or food staples from the truck! While I will bet the water was terrible to carry, with the jugs and staples you got this could be a season where the other tribe gets Ulonged.

Posted by samboohoo on 02-13-09 at 09:11 AM
Perhaps they were blinded by the jugs they were already carrying.

*smooches Agman*

Posted by byoffer on 02-13-09 at 10:24 AM
samBOOBhoo?

Posted by mattben on 02-13-09 at 04:15 PM
Sandy -- for almost not-talking her tribe into dumping her. At least have something to say about how you started off things at the camp. And how you organized the steps in the challenge to your folks to the maze thingy first.

Carolina -- for winning the battle of the annoying voices. I'm sure some of the tribe asked Jeffy if they could vote them both off.

Sierra -- good call postponing any idol search and working on a shelter. Bad call drawing a target on yourself as weak and sick.

Many of the contestants -- are they ever gonna learn to dress for reasonable outdoor activities and pick sensible shoes?

Production -- a really lame over-complicated challenge. Run the dunes, and then all these mishmosh of rules Jeffy intoned -- "all the tribe together before the next thing." And wading out about 10 yrds into shin-deep water? Not quite thrilling.

Posted by dabo on 02-15-09 at 01:56 AM
Production: A stick! I think yeah kudos to Sierra for thinking camp first or whatever, but honestly, a stick sticking up being an obvious stick in the sand, at least go find it and replace it with a rock or something, sticks are going to get collected up for maybe fires or something.

Posted by Belle Book on 02-13-09 at 08:02 PM
Here are my votes:

1. Sandy, for overthinking what a pace is.

2. Sandy, for not doing a whole lot to improve your bad first impression.

3. Carolina, for being so blunt and opinionated that you turned the focus away from Sandy and towards you as the boot.

3. The Jalapao tribe for failing to get any water or food staples from the truck. I'd have gone for food or water -- especially water -- if I'd been there.

Belle Book

Posted by michel on 02-15-09 at 03:02 AM
Production: Why not give Debbie and Candace an occasion to talk to us? I mean, we're down to 15 contestants but we know 2 that don't even have a shot.

Production: You tell us that Brasil is a vibrant country yet your opening gives us nothing of the local flavor. A truck ride pales in comparison to China's temple ceremony, the greeting by Vanuatu's warriors and especially scenes like Pearl Islands' village visit.

Coach: If you want the strong to survive, it would be a good idea not to come in last during the physical part of a challenge.

Sydney: You struggled just as much as Carolina during the challenge so changing the vote away from Sandy may not have been a good idea for you. If the tribe votes strictly on challenge strength, you're next.

Posted by sol on 02-15-09 at 03:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-15-09 AT 03:29 PM (EST)

Tribe: Jalapoa tribes 4 hour trek got them to camp in the middle of the afternoon, while Timbera tribes 4 hour trek lasted until the middle of the night ... nice job of compass reading Coach.

Sydney: not only falling down weak in the physical element of the IC, but teamed with Spencer for an abysmal showing in the puzzle solving too.

Production: blurring Sierras 'behind', and 'in front' too, but feeling it's okay to give us a full Stephen butt shot.

Edited to add production comment.

BTW ... this is my virgin trip to this thread ... so natch I'm going to ask ... GUFU ???

Posted by michel on 02-15-09 at 06:14 PM
It's a made up word that stands for things like gaffe, goof, F**k up... It's a tradition that goes back many seasons.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-17-09 at 04:27 PM
Goof-oo. "Gufu" just looks more exotic.

Posted by Gray Squirrel on 02-17-09 at 10:04 PM
Contestant. Tyson - for bathin with his 'Johnson floppin' in the river, which just may, or may not, have contained a school of Piranha. But then again maybe he had been told a 'fish story' (aka - a lie) by one of his Tribemates that this particular indigenous variety of Piranha were known to be Vegetarians. Thus Tyson, believing this, would become a gelding & be less likely of a threat.

Production. How come every season they come up with these weird unpronounceable Tribe names, & then never explain to us what they mean. 1st we have the 'Jalapao Tribe'. From one site I researched I found that Jalapao is a native plant in Tocantin used to cure stomach ailments. So roughly translated I think it means that this is a Tribe that will make you sick to your stomach. Then we have the 'Timbira Tribe' which is the name of the Indian inhabitants of the region & also the name of a submarine that was commissioned into the Brazilian Navy in 1996 (the article was unclear however why the Indians built this submarine & then donated it to the Navy).

Posted by dabo on 02-17-09 at 10:55 PM
It's a syllabic transposition of the Japanese word for blowfish, "fugu." RealityTVWorld was originally called SurvivorBlows.

Posted by ajglitch on 02-19-09 at 11:32 AM
Sandy - for digging at the base of an "obviously not" palm tree when she finally manages to find the first clue. (someone already said the pace faux pas)

Jerry - for hiding his army experience cause we all know lies come to haunt you in the end.

Debra - what were you thinking when you chose those shoes to wear?

Coach - for acting smarmy and macho and pushy.

Sierra - for even showing up with strep throat.

Production - for allowing Sierra to show up with strep throat. What part of "highly contagious" did they miss?