URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 389
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Computer"

Posted by Maroonclown on 12-01-05 at 09:54 AM
What is the best way to make someone do something? Tell them they are forbidden from doing so.

Therefore, telling them DO NOT USE THE COMPUTER FOR ANYTHING BUT THE STUDY is obviously going to lead them to check it out and try to use it for communication.

While Michael did it rather innocently, we do now see that there is the ability to communicate, but with whom?

Perhaps the Dharma Initiative is using them as guinea pigs, waiting to see how long it will take them to figure out how to use the computer to communicate.

Taking Walt away completely changed the dynamic and forced the group to re-evalute their situation. Change the dynamic and you change the rules.

Perhaps the Dharma Initiative sees our folks as getting just a little too comfortable in their new surroundings and they needed to shake it up a bit.

Maybe Mr. Eko is a mole placed there by the Dharma Initiative to do just that. Afterall, with Ana-Lucia being the "leader" of the Tailies one would think she would be in possesion of the "book".

Just some rambling thoughts for y'all to chew on.

Seana Christmas Special

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Computer"
Posted by blacknwhitedog on 12-01-05 at 10:45 AM
Michael did not see the new section of the film that said not to use the computer for anything else.

I think the person that typed "Dad?" is not Walt- but a mole.

Mr. Eko said to Locke something like- "don't mistake fate for coincidence"- what do you think that means? (Locke was saying- "what are the chances?") I don't think Mr. Eko is a mole. He is very interesting though.

Handcrafted by RollDdice 2005

Posted by MDSkinner on 12-01-05 at 11:02 AM
Just a quick correction, Ecko said "Don't mistake coincidence for fate". Which has a slightly different meaning than the reversal. Here are the definitions of the two words...

Coincidence -
A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged

Fate -
The supposed force, principle, or power that predetermines events.

Taking these definitions, I would suspect that Ecko is saying that there is some outside force that is predetermining these events for them. That outside force could be a number of things. God, the Others, Dharma, the military, aliens....who knows. But I think that was a very important comment, and I think it is certainly a hint that someone has made this whole thing happen to these people (which most probably already assumed anyway).

Then again, I could be overanalyzing.

Posted by weltek on 12-01-05 at 11:22 AM
From that statement, Eko appears to think the things happening are coincidence and I was suprised by that comment. I thought Eko & Locke would be on the same page about believing in fate, or in a higher power. Thus, I would think he'd support the idea of things happening for an explicit reason (read: NOT coincidental).

I can't wait to hear more about Eko's past. And FTR, I don't think he's a mole.

Posted by blacknwhitedog on 12-01-05 at 12:02 PM
oops- sorry for getting it backwards

I thought the same thing though- that Mr Eko was telling Locke that it was coincidence not fate

Locke thinks everything is fate (destiny) on the island

reminds me of when Locke was playing backgammon with Walt
two sides- one light- one dark
Locke and Eko?
it's like Ying and Yang

Handcrafted by RollDdice 2005

Posted by pumpkinqueen on 12-02-05 at 05:15 PM
Ecko said "Don't mistake coincidence for fate".

i was trying to remember exactly what Mr. Eko said--i thought that line was very interesting. it sounds like Mr. Eko is a slightly more rational version of Locke--look before you leap.

i can't wait to see Mr. Eko's back story. it's hard to imagine that he's a mole, but i guess anything is possible.

actually, it's a PhoenixMons

Posted by sisyphus on 12-01-05 at 12:51 PM
Did anyone notice that when hello came up on the computer screen the camera showed the clock and it had stopped at 051:00.....anyone out there with TIVO could you verify this for me......

Posted by weltek on 12-01-05 at 01:05 PM
Yes, the clock appears to have stopped at 51:00...

Posted by sisyphus on 12-01-05 at 01:17 PM
so if that is the case and nothing happened the we could extrapolate to say that if the clock goes to zero nothing will happen....since if the clock stops, time as we know does not stop...and we cannot say how long michael was on the computer...so even if the clock resumes the time would have been longer than the alloted 108:00.....

I just think this is apsychological experiment...if you tell someone that XYZ will happen if ABC is not done and the results of XYZ is/seems catastrophic as is implied by the tape you instill fear of the unknown and there by force the subject to complete ABC without question ( remember walt did not see the second edition of the tape, would locke's response to the hello been the same as michaels'?)
I see it pretty much like christianity where we are expected to be good or well will burn in the fires of hell....and I would say most people try to be good because they fear what will happen if they don't....

Posted by weltek on 12-01-05 at 01:24 PM
Good point. Many of us have believed what you said about the psych experiement since the computer story was introduced, but this is the first real piece of support for that theory.

Posted by J I M B O on 12-01-05 at 02:33 PM

the clock could be the trigger though. when the clock/timer reaches zero something happens. i don't think the fact that the clock is paused necessarily means the 'incident' is a farse. could be though...

"It didn't "stop""
Posted by FesterFan1 on 12-02-05 at 01:08 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-05 AT 01:14 AM (EST)

The seconds display on the clock doesn't function until it drops below 4 minutes. If you notice in previous episodes, when the clock has more than 4 minutes on it, it only flips every 60 seconds. So when Michael turns to look at the clock and it shows 51:00, you just don't see the seconds counting down because it's not within the window to enter the code.

Fester

Posted by J I M B O on 12-01-05 at 02:43 PM
My DW’s PhD advisor is a bigwig in the field of primate research. I remember him telling me about an experiment one time where three chimps were in a cage with a staircase leading to bananas. Each time they attempted to climb the stairs to get to the food, they were hosed with water until the attempt stopped. After they had learned not to climb the stairs, one chimp was replaced. Based on the behavior of the other two, the ‘new guy’ never even attempted to climb the stairs. Then a second, and finally a third chimp was replaced. Eventually, none of the chimps would climb the stairs to get to the bananas, even though none of them had experienced the water.

Even if there’s some sort of behavioral research going on, it seems like a rather elaborate setup to run trials that could be done at any university…so there must be something more than just the experimentation on human behavior. Maybe the sickness, the electromagnetic field, the interest in higher planes of existence is somehow worked in. They don’t just want a simple behavioral experiment, but want to test other influences on what they probably assumed the behavior would be (i.e. pressing of the button).

Now the question IMO becomes “what is being done/might be done TO the survivors that would truly provide behavioral curiosities”. Or “what about the island specifically makes this type of research different from any other controlled environment”?

Posted by sisyphus on 12-01-05 at 05:00 PM
I agree with you that behavioral research is not the only thing going on....but it was maybe refered to although I am not sure that there are several types of research that the Dharma project is involved in....and it would seem that there are several of these such hatches/bunkers situated across the island....the onle the tailies found was empty....what happened there? we don't know? how does the horse, the polar bear etc come into play.....why was there a message on the computer when the only th person that did not see the whole movie was present....
so maybe somehow all these experiment have somehow combined and the survivors are the guinea pigs.....and the others are running the experiment....the experiment possible failed with french group...leaving only crazy/paranoid danielle...and maybe desmond...

Posted by J I M B O on 12-01-05 at 06:05 PM

I'm sure they aren't done with the 'surprises'. I'd be willing to bet that if there's anyone on (or near) the island actually controlling/observing things...we haven't been introduced yet.

I like the idea thrown out there earlier about an underwater bunker. Be a good place to observe results from no?

Posted by weltek on 12-02-05 at 08:44 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-05 AT 08:44 AM (EST)

Yes, Jimbo, I agree that behavioral research can be done in a university under standard regulations. However, if you want to study what actual panic & fear cause HUMANS to do, good luck getting approval to conduct THAT study. After electroshock experiments on humans were deemed unethical & cruel, nobody looked too kindly upon subjecting humans to depravation and fear for research purposes. Having a human live in isolation for years under the pretense of "push the button or something horrible will happen" and "inject yourself with this medicine because you are quarrantined and will otherwise get sick" wouldn't likely be acceptable in any university I can think of.

Posted by J I M B O on 12-02-05 at 01:13 PM

Ok, so use New Jersey then...

Seriously though, there's plenty of places that persons with THAT much funding could use. Probly not in the States, but you wouldn't need an island either.

Posted by miamicatt on 12-02-05 at 04:42 PM
My issue with the computer scene is the fact that none of the keys worked when Locke pushed them to prove that the computer can't be used for anything else. So why do they work now? And what with the beeping?

Good point. Let's test this logic. Hayden, I forbid you, FORBID you to make out with me!!