URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38691
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I Wonder Who will be the First Person to Land on Mars? "

Posted by foonermints on 08-27-16 at 07:32 PM
May be Kingfish.

Although my grandson has a better possibility..

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I Wonder Who will be the First Person to Land on Mars? "
Posted by kingfish on 08-28-16 at 11:18 AM
Until they perfect warp speed travel, I pass.

If your grandson wants the honor of a 9 month voyage each way thru unfiltered cosmic radiation, try and talk him out of it. It may not be important to him now, but someday he'll want normal grandkids.

Cute kid, though.

Posted by foonermints on 08-28-16 at 01:11 PM
The little bastard already looks like a Martian.
Also, having the audacity to be born on MY birthday!
The Nerve!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

"Have you got one of these in your garage?"
Posted by cahaya on 08-28-16 at 07:26 PM

Surfkitten Summer sigshop 2008

Guaranteed cosmic radiation free!

"RE: Have you got one of these in your garage?"
Posted by kingfish on 08-28-16 at 07:52 PM
The green man? Or the pocket rocket?

Either way, No. They are locked down in the sub-sub cellar.

"A security issue."
Posted by foonermints on 08-28-16 at 09:43 PM
Where do you have Pamela Anderson?

"RE: A security issue."
Posted by kingfish on 08-29-16 at 08:07 AM
Under the mattress. In 1985.

Posted by Dakota on 08-31-16 at 00:30 AM
I really thought I could find something to say about space travel and Mars. Then I started reading and found myself dumbfounded.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

Posted by Dakota on 09-10-16 at 00:36 AM
It occurred to me that if Trump wins the election, there might be a new colony on Mars. It will be mostly blue with some tiny red spaces thrown in. I wonder what they'll call themselves.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

Posted by kingfish on 09-10-16 at 01:50 PM
There may be a wall around Mars in our future. If we can find any Martians to pay for it.

Posted by Dakota on 09-10-16 at 10:33 PM
Here are a couple of design ideas

Agman's Spring Fling '12

"Hunters"
Posted by foonermints on 09-20-16 at 06:54 PM
Don"t sleep. Both sides. We are better, and should have been better.

So Mattben was nuts. Hope he got the ZHrelp. As ConsiderThis
Foonermints: Harbinger of .. well I don't know!

"Let's Send"
Posted by foonermints on 09-26-16 at 02:48 PM
johnteddy401 to Mars.

Better yet, make him into this:

"RE: Let's Send"
Posted by kingfish on 09-26-16 at 05:14 PM
Old John Teddy really sprayed us this time.

"Poor Bebo!"
Posted by foonermints on 09-26-16 at 06:41 PM
I'd invite her over for some tequila, to help her forget..

It's 100° here! GAH!

Posted by greenmachine on 05-01-17 at 02:52 PM
I'd say me, but I'm afraid Id scare off the martians

"Scare them off to where?"
Posted by foonermints on 07-30-17 at 06:15 AM
Urth?

Don't forget the total solar eclipse! Coming soon to a planet near you!

Gorn bounced by IceCat

"Wanna see it!"
Posted by cahaya on 07-30-17 at 02:49 PM
My daughter is begging me to take her to see the eclipse. Being in southern Indiana, it's not that far of a drive. Hotels are all fully booked in the area, so we'd have to plan a day trip.

The catch? It's Monday, a school day. Should I call my daugher in sick to school or tell them that she is "going on a science field trip"? Also, my work supervisor has been loading me with work and would frown on my taking a day off just for this. Again, call in sick or tell my boss I'm taking my family on a field trip?

"RE: Wanna see it!"
Posted by kingfish on 07-30-17 at 10:35 PM
I've seen one. It was pretty anticlimactic. And solar eclipses are real short. But even with the 2-3 minutes viewing time, you can really damage your (or her) retinas. IMO, you shouldn't look at it unless you have a high quality solar filter, or a welder's lens, those homemade (cardboard slits, etc) devices are pretty dangerous.

By the way, you will be able to see it from where you are if the sky is clear. The path of the total eclipse is narrower, but the partial eclipse can be seen from most parts of the US. However, as far as retinal damage is concerned, a partial eclipse is more dangerous since more of the sun is exposed.

I would think that the partial eclipse would satisfy her, and the expense of traveling and spending the night wouldn't be justified, but you are pretty close, so maybe for you it would be ok. Check the weather if you decide to go, you do need clear skies.

Your enjoyment will be based on how much your daughter is taken with it. And it sounds like she may really enjoy it. I would try and not build it up too much though, she might be expecting too much and be let down if you advertise it as the biggest thing ever to happen to mankind, or something like that. I kinda walked away thinking "is that all there is to it?"

It is something to say you've seen. Take a picture. Except don't look thru the viewer.

"RE: Wanna see it!"
Posted by cahaya on 07-31-17 at 03:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-31-17 AT 03:34 PM (EST)

Closest place to us along the solar eclipse path is around Hopkinsville, KY, a 3 hour drive, so it would be a 6-hour round trip.

Solar eclipses might last only 2+ minutes in totality, but the partial eclipse leading into it and following it last much longer. The anticipation seeing the partial leading into the total eclipse is pretty exciting.

I've seen one total eclipse (sort of, which I'll get to) in Malaysia. At the time, I was living in Malaysia and was in the Genting Highlands when the eclipse occured. However, given the weather in the highlands, there was a lot of cloud cover, so I didn't actually see the moon slide over the sun, but the darkness that fell was spooky... the highland jungle around the resort went nuts with all kinds of weird noises, as if the animals, birds and insects in the jungle got all confused with what seemed like an untimely nightfall.

"How much will you see where you are?"
Posted by cahaya on 08-01-17 at 09:25 AM
Here's a dandy interactive animation of the eclipse as you would see it from where you live (enter your zip code).

From where I live, 93.7% of the sun gets blocked out at 2:25 EDT.

"RE: How much will you see where you are?"
Posted by newsomewayne on 08-01-17 at 12:30 PM
Might I suggest Sweetwater, TN? Apparently it's a prime viewing location and they are planning an all-day festival to rake in $ from the suckers celebrate. Although I do think the t-shirts are kinda cool.

Sweetwater Eclipse Festival

Incidentally, it's not a school day around here for most. Many school systems are closing "for the safety of the children". Which is BS. It's really so parents can't sue the schools when their idiot children blind themselves looking at the eclipse without protection while on school property.

"RE: How much will you see where you are?"
Posted by foonermints on 08-04-17 at 01:54 PM
We only get a Bite out of the sun here.

"Bump"
Posted by foonermints on 08-18-17 at 11:07 AM

Handcrafted by RollDdice

"*Rustle*"
Posted by foonermints on 08-22-17 at 12:57 PM

>

"squeak"
Posted by kingfish on 08-22-17 at 02:28 PM