URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38472
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Un pedo viejo needs your help"

Posted by Molaholic on 07-05-14 at 08:15 PM
My phone provider has a special offer on hand that includes a free 4G LTE phone. Being un Pedo Viejo I don't suffer from needing a 10-step program in regards to e-media addiction (I do have a FB account but don't tweet or any other of those things.

However, I would like to make an informed decision -- but the product description is a foreign language (kinda like algebra) so I would appreciate a nice, user-friendly (treat me like the early 1960s 5-year-old I was) breakdown.

•4G Connectivity (not LTE)
•1 GHz dual-core processor
•Android Platform – 4.1 Jelly Bean
•5 MP camera with flash

One part of the ad says "4G LTE" but then just below is the note "not LTE" -- what is LTE and how can I have it and not have it at the same time?

Jelly Bean? Is this Ronnie Reagan's legacy?

Camera with flash I think I get.

So, will I have easy internet access? What will I need to do (yes, I take that as "pay for") in addition to my normal phone rates? Do I need to be in a hot-spot?

I have been told that battery life is short if I'm using certain functions -- how easy is it to kill them?

Remember -- you will be dealing with a luddite. Please be kind.

gracias

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Un pedo viejo needs your help"
Posted by HobbsofMI on 07-05-14 at 08:51 PM
One the processor is old and out of date so is the operating system. Android is up to Kit Kat (4.4). 5 MP is also out of date and behind the times so I would assume the 4G is too.

What is the make and model of the phone and who is the provider?

I use about 2 GB a month in data and that's a bit heavy but see if the phone has WiFi built in and it should be N if not things will be too slow.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Posted by Molaholic on 07-05-14 at 09:39 PM
This is the offer/provider. MetroPCS

Posted by HobbsofMI on 07-06-14 at 09:24 PM
I'm hoping to go to them once my AT&T contract is up and stop paying over $100 a month.

You are looking at the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3979

It does have N for WiFI so that is good but the 4G is extremely limited and slow.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421053,00.asp

So I would pay a bit more and go with a full 4G LTE phone from them.

I would try to find a S III and jail break it and then get a sim card from MetroPCS.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Posted by Brownroach on 07-08-14 at 01:04 AM
I can't offer assistance, but I did want to point out that LUDDITE is an answer in the Harper's Magazine cryptic puzzle this month (which I am still attempting to finish before the deadline). Coincidence? I will scour your post to see if any other words are possible answers that I need...