URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38398
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"April is Parkinson's Awareness Month"

Posted by jbug on 04-01-14 at 04:40 PM
Whatever it takes to beat Parksinson's.

Some of you know that my DH has Parkinson's Disease.

Parkinson’s disease is a movement disorder that is chronic and progressive.

Nearly one million Americans are living with Parkinson’s.
Approximately 60,000 Americans are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease each year, and this number does not reflect the thousands of cases that go undetected.
Seven to 10 million people worldwide are estimated to be living with Parkinson’s disease.
Incidence of Parkinson’s increases with age, but an estimated four percent of people with Parkinson’s are diagnosed before the age of 50.

Unfortunately, the cause of Parkinson’s is unknown and presently there is not yet a cure. But there is hope in the promising research ongoing. And you can help. April is Parkinson's Awareness Month. Make a difference this April by donating to PDF at www.pdf.org or any Parkinson's research organization.

http://www.pdf.org/parkinson_awareness

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: April is Parkinson's Awareness Month"
Posted by kingfish on 04-01-14 at 06:27 PM
Dear June Bug.

My hopes and heart are with you and your husband.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 04-01-14 at 08:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-01-14 AT 08:08 PM (EST)

Thanks for the post, Bug... we can never let up on the research as a breakthrough could come at any time. Here's wishing that it comes soon so that people with Parkinson's can have a fully functioning life even with the advanced stages and have a longer life expectancy.

I know there's no cure, but hopefully your husband has some relief from the symptoms through medication (I can't quite recall how far he is along in the diagnosis?).

Posted by foonermints on 04-01-14 at 08:34 PM
Got my *smooch* there darling.

Posted by dabo on 04-01-14 at 10:59 PM
Forwarded the page to DD, medical researcher, thanks for the link.

Posted by jbug on 04-11-14 at 12:40 PM
Jerry first noticed the tremor in 2002; it was diagnosed as a benign tremor for a few years. Medications for PD were prescribed to help the tremors. Official Parkinson's Disease diagnosis in 2008.

He'll be having surgery on April 23 to have his throat cut - literally.
Part of the swallowing problem is because a muscle does not relax and allow the food to move down into the esophagus.
An ENT surgeon will cut the muscle in his throat to relax this muscle. We'll be in the hospital overnight at least one night.

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.
We've learned to manage one day at a time.