URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38359
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Fifty years ago today"

Posted by Estee on 02-09-14 at 12:49 PM
It was, in fact, a really big shew.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Fifty years ago today"
Posted by Puffy on 02-09-14 at 05:28 PM
Tonight CBS has a Grammy salute to the Beatles. My husband worked as an usher (his first job) at the Hollywood bowl in Los Angeles when the Beatles appeared there in August 1964.

I waddle for Agman

Posted by Brownroach on 02-09-14 at 09:36 PM
Ed Sheeran just sang a lovely rendition of "In My Life", backed only by his own guitar.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-09-14 at 09:49 PM
Did not, however, like Katy Perry's overly-emotive "Yesterday".

Posted by Brownroach on 02-09-14 at 10:11 PM
Annie Lennox delivers "Fool on the Hill" in her trademark antiseptic style, wearing a silver trashbag gown, with Dave Stewart on guitar. Shuddersome.

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 02-13-14 at 01:37 PM
So many were making over her performance, I thought it was an over-acted snooze. "Antiseptic" is a good word.

Phylled by Tribe

Posted by Brownroach on 02-09-14 at 10:27 PM
John Legend and Alicia Keys duet on "Let It Be". Don't usually care for her, but she was fine, as was he.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-09-14 at 10:58 PM
Love, love, love Ringo doing "Yellow Submarine"! (But how could I not?)

Posted by Brownroach on 02-09-14 at 11:12 PM
Paul is on good form as well, singing "Birthday", "Get Back", and "I Saw Her Standing There."

Posted by Brownroach on 02-10-14 at 00:52 AM
Paul and Ringo together on "With a Little Help From My Friends"!

Alright, so I got a little verklempt.

Posted by kingfish on 02-10-14 at 11:01 AM
I had a cousin (yes, Estee, another tale of long ago. Blame Puffy for my wave of nostalgia) ), a girl cousin, who at that time of my life basically led me through the world of (then) contemporary music. She was into Harry Belafonte, and I listened to him and liked his music.

Then she discovered the Beatles, and so I had to listen to them. I thought how appropriately smart it was for a music group to call themselves the Beatles, spelling it like "Beat-les" instead of "Beet-les", and wearing their hair in to resemble beetles. Multi-layered entendres.

But I didn’t particularly care for their music. I was into rock and roll, and their "I want to hold your hand" was all over the airways, as was “She loves you Yeah yeah yeah!” and I thought both were amateurish, something an aspiring garage band might come up with as a first effort. Mostly chords. After all, writing a love song about the angst of wanting to hold a girls hand was pretty shallow, I thought. She loves you” sounded more like a school yard taunt than a love long, and was also pretty shallow.

Admittedly, and objectively, most Rock and Roll of the time was not much better.

But their song writing matured in a major way. 45s gave way to albums, and each album was better than the last. Then when John recorded his last, well, that was to me the masterpiece. None of the Beatle’s previous or subsequent music was equal to that stunning high water mark.

I watched part of it (the Olympics are on too), and I enjoyed the nostalgia. Ringo was a loveable goofball. The audience was very elitist though, invitation only? Did Joe Walsh have a set? I would like to have seen it if he did. Majorly expensive ticket prices?

Posted by Puffy on 02-11-14 at 10:37 PM
Joe Walsh performed "Something" and "While My guitar Gently Weeps." During the show, I checked Ticketmaster which said tickets were no longer available for the show. So I assume anyone could buy a ticket but I don't know the cost.

Posted by kingfish on 02-13-14 at 02:49 PM
Watched the re-airing. Very well done. Especially the Annie Lennox number. And, of course, Walsh is always entertaining.

Posted by Molaholic on 02-10-14 at 11:21 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-14 AT 11:21 AM (EST)

I loved the show. One of the best parts was seeing the A-Listers singing along with the performers (even Ringo & Sir Paul!) and thoroughly into to music.

I may have missed his intro -- but was that Sean Lennon standing next to Yoko Ono? Sure did have a resemblance to John.

Sir Paul and Ringo gave outstanding performances -- hard to make the connection that they're at the three score and ten age group.

Ride, Moley, ride!

Posted by Brownroach on 02-11-14 at 02:31 AM
Yes, that was Sean with the long hair and mammoth beard. I think Julian was in absentia.

I actually think Ringo - though he could put on a few pounds, IMO - looks better than Paul, albeit Ringo's the older of the two. Paul's got those crevices in his face that make him look Mount Rushmore-ready. But they did both sound excellent.

I've always thought that Ringo would be the most fun Beatle to hang out with, and nothing has changed that opinion over time.

Posted by foonermints on 02-10-14 at 03:53 PM

Handcrafted by RollDdice
Well, some people have the originals..

Posted by kingfish on 02-10-14 at 04:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-14 AT 05:19 PM (EST)

Ah yes, back when real men raced real cars at Indy, but had no idea who really won. And had to push start their racers while guys in safari hats looked on.

And smoked safe cigarettes.

And the headline that science was interested in the Beatles superceded the eternal mortal question.

"Besides"
Posted by foonermints on 02-10-14 at 05:28 PM
The answer to "What Happens When You Dah!"

The foonercopyservice will send you this Revelation for only five dollars, cash money. On the condition you don't share it with anyone else, or bear the wrath of foonercopycatfishinfringement.

You could croak sooner, you know..

I wonder what Snidget thinks of this science?

"RE: Besides"
Posted by kingfish on 02-12-14 at 01:46 PM
Eat moor chiken!

A Tribal Whoopee! We're all gonna fry.

"50.008 years ago today"
Posted by Molaholic on 02-12-14 at 02:22 PM
CBS will be repeating Sunday's special tonight at 8:30 E/P.

"RE: 50.008 years ago today"
Posted by kingfish on 02-13-14 at 02:50 PM
Thanks. I caught it.

Posted by greenmachine on 04-25-17 at 03:31 PM
Ive heard a lot about estee.

Posted by cahaya on 04-25-17 at 10:25 PM
Hearing about someone and actually hearing someone are two very different things, especially so in this case.

Posted by greenmachine on 05-01-17 at 10:59 AM
I agree! Okay I've done my duty now someone else can take over.

Posted by kingfish on 05-01-17 at 12:34 PM
Semantics aside, what have you heard about Estee?