URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38328
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"IRAs & stuff questions"

Posted by jbug on 01-03-14 at 05:45 PM
Who has the inside scoop - actually I just need facts - about employer contributions to the employee accounts?

At the beginning of 2013, our company changed the retirement plan - such as it is.
They agreed that for any employee who makes payroll contributions to an IRA, they will match the contributions up to 3%.
So they began taking 3% out of my check every week. In March of 2013, I received a quarterly statement that showed nothing being deposited. I called the representative and he of course told me that they have to deposit what they withhold from my check before the next payroll. He called here & told them so they set it up.
I could have - but did not - ask the owners if they planned to make up the interest that I would have earned during that period of time.
The rep told me then that the company did not have to deposit their matching 3% until the end of the year.
I called him today to ask if he'd check to see if they did; they have not yet. But now he tells me they have until April 15th to deposit their part into my account.

I want to find verification that this is correct.
It seems terribly unfair that they promise to match our contributions, but can wait 15 months to do so. It's not like they have it in an interest earning account making money for themselves (I know). It could be earning a tiny bit for me!

And? on another note....
I got a 25 cent/hour raise.
And my health insurance premium deduction increased by more than my raise.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: IRAs & stuff questions"
Posted by jbug on 01-03-14 at 09:48 PM
I found it.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/SIMPLE-IRA-Plan-FAQs-Contributions

"RE: IRAs & stuff questions"
Posted by foonermints on 01-03-14 at 10:30 PM
Simple? I still don't understand the notification part.

Then again, the carefree ways of the Self-Employed..

I could write this stuff!

"Did they have"
Posted by moonbaby on 01-06-14 at 01:12 PM
your written consent to deduct anything from your wages? Because if they didn't it might be considered illegal.

"RE: Did they have"
Posted by jbug on 01-06-14 at 04:01 PM
Oh yes, they have my written consent for the 3% for the IRA.

When I was hired, the company paid 100% of the employee's health insurance and a small life insurance.
Several years ago, they decided they were no longer going to pay the life insurance and gave us the option to continue it - and I did sign for that payroll deduction.
Starting Jan 2013, they decided the employees had to start paying a percentage of our health insurance premiums. They never asked me; they just said that was what they were going to do. And they never asked me to sign anything to authorize it.