URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38244
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"How to drive Kanye West (more) insane."

Posted by Estee on 09-27-13 at 01:47 PM
So. First Kanye gives an interview to BBC radio in which he basically declares himself to be the pinnacle of all musical evolution and everyone else can just give up right now.

(I'd link to it, but we all have DAW tolerances and people would die. Seek it at your own risk. Or just wait on Snidget. Unless it kills her.)

Second: Jimmy Kimmel has a kid read off sections of a transcript, just for laughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_O6QrdsP38

Third: Boom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It05EvqFD6s

NSFW: http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/kanye-west-blasts-jimmy-kimmel-for-spoofing-his-egomaniacal-uk-interview-15338.php

Fourth is probably Jimmy's studio catching fire by total coincidence. And Kanye being there holding a dripping can of gasoline? Frame!

Or street cred. One of those.

Kanye's problem -- well, we could go into a very long list here, but the one which is truly about to bite him is that he's showing up at a battle of wits completely unarmed. Not that many of those who follow him will notice or care -- but for everyone else involved, Kimmel can basically destroy him with about the same effort it takes to signal for a commercial break. Especially since he seems to be so very easy to damage.

Kimmel's problem: this one is too stupid to quit.

And not particularly sane.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: How to drive Kanye West (more) insane."
Posted by kingfish on 09-27-13 at 02:14 PM
Seriously bad judgement. Not a good idea to cross swords with a veteran comic of Kimmel's caliber, and with his writing staff, and who hosts a nightly talk show, and who needs material every night for a monologue.

But no one ever has or (I suspect) ever will accuse K. West of being font of good ideas. A font of hot air perhaps, but not intelligence.

The idea of a child reading what West said is hilarious, I hope they repeat that. I would call that the mostest aptest metaphor of the year.

I think he mentioned Silverman in his tweet/rants (Twants? Did I just coin a term? Tell me I'm not hip, I'm the hippest guy in the whole world). Silverman and Kimmel teaming up to do K. West send-ups has promise. Lots of promise. In fact I think I'll begin DVRing the next few shows.

And an aside to KW: For your information, Rock and Roll will Never die.

Posted by Snidget on 09-27-13 at 02:35 PM
Jimmy's just so happy to finally be in a rap war. Who knew it would happen during this incarnation?

Morning radio guys/gals were all like don't start it with a late night TV guy. He (and his writing team) are just going to take you apart and used each piece to wipe each and every separate floor of their building with.

The only problem is Kanye probably thinks he is winning. His ego has eaten any part of his brain that might have been designated for emotional intelligence or wit or awareness of any kind. Which means he'll just do it again, with the same results.

My favorite so far was Jimmy politely asking Kanye to use the standard twitter etiquette of @ing the person you are ranting at.

Posted by Estee on 09-27-13 at 03:03 PM
To read Kanye's tweets and see his choice of images is to realize I've seen more effective, insightful, and imaginative personal attacks performed by fifth-graders. I keep waiting for him to go backwards three extra years and wind up at rubber & glue.

(I did notice there's at least one article out there saying Kanye is in the right -- Slate magazine, I think -- but having seen the headline, I didn't read it. I'm saving that in place of a cup of tea. Or possibly for when I decide to see just what the angle could be.)

Actually, right now, the biggest surprise for me is that Kanye isn't going after the kid who read the exerts.

That we know of.

Someone else who can outwit him.

Posted by AyaK on 09-27-13 at 02:59 PM
There was an old saying (which I'm sure Kanye's never heard) that you never pick a fight with a reporter because they buy ink by the barrel and have inches of blank space to fill each day.

I think the same rule would apply to a TV talk-show host. But then again, Kanye has always been good at looking like a fool.

"Three words that describe a Kanye apologist."
Posted by Estee on 09-27-13 at 03:25 PM
Full-time employed.

(Warning: none of the links which follow are PG13.)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/09/26/kanye_west_beef_with_jimmy_kimmel_on_twitter_kanye_is_right_about_kimmel.html

Okay. There are ways in which the writer has some points. But in arguing about perspective, assumption, and bias, he's pulling out more than a little of his own on all three. It's not so much a case as pot vs. kettle as using your own words as the hammer which force you into that shape. Oh, I believe there might potentially be just a hint of racism and agism there. You'll have to judge.

Here's a few more quotes from the interview, along with what should be at least partial audio if anyone wants to try and play it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/09/23/kanye_west_bbc1_interview_with_zane_lowe_watch_part_1_and_read_the_best.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/09/24/kanye_west_bbc_interview_with_zane_lowe_listen_to_the_full_interview_and.html

Should we wait for him to teleport?

"RE: Three words that describe a Kanye apologist."
Posted by Snidget on 09-27-13 at 04:03 PM
*peeks*

Even if you can argue that Jimmy is being a stereotypical white middle-ageish stereotypically heterosexual man's man (which I thought was his schtick) who doesn't keep up with what is a thing in the 16-23 year old hip urban world any more, Kanye's responses are just so infantile that he makes Jimmy making him sound childish right on point.

I think the one thing that shows that Jimmy knows what is going on with Kanye is he knew what button to push. He may not have realized it would be comedy gold, but he (or his writers) wouldn't have pushed a button that wasn't there.

The cultural and generational divides, I thought, were often a place to find humor and IMO part of the humor is that Jimmy doesn't get Kanye or Kanye's world (which is as much on Jimmy as it is on anyone else).

Why should Jimmy try to be some hip, young, urban 20 year old. It would be kind of silly for him to be that guy. I mean people with the oldz have been saying "is that even a thing now?" since at least the ancient Greeks, if not back when some Neanderthal comic picked up some Modern Human tool and riffed on if that was supposed to be a thing, now.

Posted by Estee on 09-27-13 at 04:22 PM
I did notice the general immunity to the comedy concept of 'I understand this with and possibly without research, I know of whence I speak -- but it's funnier for the audience if I pretend I don't.' If Kimmel (and/or his staff) didn't have some awareness for that level of pop culture, goodbye to a decent segment of his booking prowess. I'm not saying he knew or studied his target fully -- but you have to at least consider the possibility.

As for the rest about the divide and finding humor in the gap -- *nods*. But you have to be willing to see that. And if you're not, nothing can make it visible. For Kanye and possibly many of those backing him? It doesn't exist.

And if an urban 20-something got their own talk show, how fast would the first accusations of selling out come?

Posted by kingfish on 09-27-13 at 04:44 PM
I still want to hear Silverman get involved. She's the real snark shark in this deal. In fact she's very capable (IMO) of skewering both of them.

And I would bet that the planned opening skit on SNL tomorrow nite is going to be bumped for something on this, if there was time to get it together. My DVR is going to be jammed.

Posted by Snidget on 09-28-13 at 08:28 PM
If I had the writing chops and connections I'd do the opening of the SNL skit of Kanye twiteranting at whichever Senator that got to the point of fillibustering where he was reading/reciting Green Eggs and Ham and have him reading the twiterants as they came in.

"Finally set to music!"
Posted by moonbaby on 09-28-13 at 09:46 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-13 AT 09:48 PM (EST)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axzxe1a78E

ETA: is this another Kimmel prank? Really!

"Appearing on JK to settle things tonight."
Posted by Estee on 10-09-13 at 03:25 PM
The green room is now a Full Body Cavity Weapons Search Zone.

This is not going to be pretty. It will be filled with hype, if Kanye can calm down enough to exploit it. But pretty? No.

"KANYE: I HATE BOOKS, PLEASE BUY MINE "
Posted by newsomewayne on 12-10-13 at 01:52 PM
I would suggest that we all remove the words of King Solomon from our Bibles and replace them with the Book Of Kanye, but I'm sure to be sued by him for associating his ideas with an inferior collection.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE54P5L820090526?irpc=932

Black Friday expectations delivered by Agman, 2011
"Who, me? I found out about it when you did. I was unaware. Nobody's madder than me...." - President Barack Obama on, well, everything.

"RE: KANYE: I HATE BOOKS, PLEASE BUY MINE "
Posted by Estee on 12-10-13 at 02:37 PM
Little behind the publishing schedule there: the book was released in 2009. Nine dollars new from Amazon, if you're curious. One might guess he doesn't believe in electronic editions either. And possibly in electricity.

Clearly he wants to keep people stupid enough to continue buying his idiocy. Although it does make me wonder if he's capable of reading all the fine print in his own contracts.

Oh, well. We'll know about that last when the bankruptcy filing hits.

You haven't been sued by Kayne yet? I have five going right now!

Posted by kidflash212 on 12-10-13 at 03:29 PM
From the link:

"Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed," West said. "I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books."

Yeah Kanye, that's the problem with books - too wordy. Books without words are so much less work. And I don't ask books for autographs either, they always ignore me.

Posted by Estee on 12-10-13 at 04:25 PM
Books without words are so much less work.

It would seem he agrees, given that he left some of the pages in his own blank.

Posted by kingfish on 12-10-13 at 05:08 PM

"I would never want a book's autograph."

Actually to find any example of an autograph signed by a book would be kinda rare. At least I've never heard of a book being able to sign it's name.

"To add to the track record..."
Posted by newsomewayne on 12-10-13 at 04:23 PM
Here's one from today.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/09/kanye-west-im-putting-my-life-at-risk-like-police-officer-with-yeezus-tour/

We should all be grateful for the risks KW takes for our sakes.

If for no other reason than that one day, hopefully, the risk is too much.

Black Friday expectations delivered by Agman, 2011
"Who, me? I was unaware. I found out when you did. Nobody's madder than me...." - President Barack Obama on, well, everything.

"Crossthresd warning!"
Posted by cahaya on 12-10-13 at 04:58 PM
Candy Kayne!

You can blame Moly and his FAMCSS(UWDOB).