URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38243
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"TV Shows that you relate to on a personal level"

Posted by jbug on 09-27-13 at 12:41 PM
Michael J Fox

I posted on the Fall Schedule thread.
But decided since this show relates to my family in a way no other tv program ever has that I'd make a separate thread.

I've been researching some things about Parkinson's Disease and found this link. It's about Deep Brain Stimulation Therapy - which I'm not sure we have the guts to try.
But this short video shows exactly how my DH walks. This could have been taken of him walking; and stopping; and turning around.
(the 2nd part of the video is after DBS)

http://bcove.me/ho7t0faa

Any tv program or movie ever have a significant effect on you or yours?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: TV Shows that you relate to on a personal level"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-27-13 at 01:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-13 AT 04:56 PM (EST)

Yeah there's been some that I really relate to on a personal level - the most recent example was 'Switched at Birth' on ABC Family (ABC Spark up here). I could easily be any one of the teachers in the high school there. The show also touches upon many of the same issues that I go through with my learners.

I related in a way to Marlee Matlin during her 'The Celebrity Apprentice' season as she often had a hard time getting the others to take her seriously and the respect only came after she clearly demonstrated an ability to rally the troops and raise more money than anyone else ever had on that show in one challenge. For me, I'm a regular participant on provincial committees or boards and I often feel like I'm being judged or not seen as equal until I do the extra work and show them that I do know what I'm talking about.

Posted by dabo on 09-27-13 at 09:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-13 AT 09:37 PM (EST)

Bernadette Rostenkowski Wolowitz: To the advancement of science.
Amy Farrah Fowler: And to the sick and dieing who make it possible.
(The Big Bang Theory, 9/26/13)

Neat video. Not to make light of your story, but since you asked:

About a year ago DD decided what course she wanted to pursue in her life. One of the extremely few television shows she cares to follow had some influence. Care to guess which one?

In May she graduated college, four years of classes and nearly straight A's throughout, with a BS in Biology and a BS in Neuroscience. Couldn't be more proud.

In August we packed up all her things and helped her move out to a city far away. Big city, major sticker shock. Living on her own now, can't say I'm thrilled with it be so far away. Commenced the PhD program to which she had been accepted. She's happy and excited. Medical research. I think it is Huntington's currently they're concentrating on, but who knows what's around the corner.

Caught the re-runs of the Michael J. Fox Show tonight, very good program.

Posted by Starshine on 09-28-13 at 10:06 AM
I may have told this before, however Dabo and JBug remind me of a friend, not a relative.

I had a friend who unfortunately had Huntingtons, her husband is still one of the bravest men I have ever known. Her Mother really disliked me for some reason although she was really pleasant at the funeral possibly because I was one of the few who visited her whilst she was ill (she had moved about 100 miles away from our home area).

Anyway her sister, who was also a friend, but not quite as close, who was really nice and my first huge crush, she enjoyed the company of boys although sadly not me, and having a good time, she left school at 16 with a few exams, not many and went off to work as a secretary, this was the 80's when that was the white collar entry job for girls (sexual stereotyping in jobs was a lot more common in the 80's before computers came along) not ambitious, living weekend to weekend, although to be fair I think most of us were like that when we were 16, 17 and so on.

So... the film Top Gun came out, and when she saw it she decided to become a pilot, we didn't deride her because I ran with a nice group of people, although we did have a giggle about it behind her back. Anyways she took her savings and went off to train to be a pilot, and succeeded, eventually moving to New England as a Pilot. Sadly her airline bust out and last time I spoke to her, which is longer ago than I would like, she was back being a First Officer on a Transatlantic route.

It was just the most amazing career change I have ever seen

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?