URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38242
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Ziti! What a guido!"

Posted by tribephyl on 09-27-13 at 00:45 AM
Serial father and Barilla pasta owner says he doesn't care if homosexuals stop eating his noodle.

Barilla Boycott

Okay, not verbatim, but what he does say doesn't always make sense either.

Sadly, I can't impress upon him my displeasure by not purchasing his product. I haven't bought wheat pasta in years.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"*Sob!*"
Posted by foonermints on 09-27-13 at 01:32 AM
Nine Million people already hate me! I know. I was raised there!

Now from across the happy water (I thought) It's Nine Million and ONE! And all the Pasta in The Universe! Poor ME! Poor ME!

Wahhhhhhh!

"RE: *Sob!*"
Posted by kingfish on 09-27-13 at 08:27 AM
Nine million and two.

"RE: Ziti! What a guido!"
Posted by Silvergirl1 on 09-27-13 at 02:21 AM

Let's throw him against the wall and see if he sticks.

Snow globe sig and starfish globe by Agman 2011

Posted by newsomewayne on 09-27-13 at 09:52 AM
*snort*

Posted by jbug on 09-27-13 at 10:16 AM
~~ditto snort~~

Posted by tribephyl on 09-27-13 at 06:09 PM
ditto ditto snort.
or is that snort ditto snort? ditto snort snort?

"LMAO"
Posted by moonbaby on 09-28-13 at 09:50 PM

Posted by kingfish on 09-27-13 at 08:35 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-13 AT 08:37 AM (EST)

He's an idiot with self-destructive instincts when it comes to interviews and public relations. A Moron. A Macaroon.

But I think his position that he wouldn't portray same sex married with children families in ads for his products is probably the same as those of most marketing departments.

Men kissing men or even holding hands in ads will only work in certain localities, certainly not nationally, and most certainly not internationally. Women kissing women - well, that's a whole 'nuther thang.

Still a ways to go.

Posted by Snidget on 09-27-13 at 08:52 AM
There is some truth that a lot of marketing departments may not want to have an obviously same sex couple as the featured peeps in an ad, but you can say that without really pissing people off or implying that certain gender roles are the only acceptable ones or make as long as they don't get to expose children to their "family" noises.

A lot depends on what controversy you want to use to create buzz and if you think it nets you more sales than it loses.

Posted by kingfish on 09-27-13 at 10:29 AM
"...some truth..."? Come on now, "Some"?

Name any nationally recognized brand sold in grocery stores that would show a same sex marriage with children in their marketing campaign. "Some" should more accurately be "99% if not 100%".

As much fun as I (and we all) could have making a family oriented gay "Pop Tarts" ad (and my head just exploded with laughter imagining that one), or an "Oreo" ad or a "Sugar Puffs" ad, or, or...well the ideas are endless), it ain't happening.

But you're right, Barilla is an idiot, and I will also join the anti-Barilla campaign (I have never bought Barilla, but I have seen it on shelves and now I will not buy it even more and with greater vigor).

Posted by Snidget on 09-27-13 at 10:43 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-13 AT 10:45 AM (EST)

Well I was thinking advertising in general where you do see some imagery that acknowledges the existence of gay people in some ads for some things.

Sometimes for the shock value to see if you can get buzz about the product/service. Sometimes because they looked at the incomes and said we'd like people who make that amount of money buying our product/using our service. I know some vacation ads have gay couples as they are courting that part of the population as you need new groups of customers to keep growing the business.

FWIW Oreos did have a viral gay marketing campaign on facebook (no family but with the filling all rainbow. http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/oreo-surprises-26-million-facebook-fans-gay-pride-post-141440

I expect sometime relatively soon there may be a tipping point where telegraphing a company culture of inclusiveness will get you more sales than telegraphing a company culture of what some call traditional values.

ETA: I have bought Barilla in the past as I do like the product, but I'll have to look for something else.

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 09-27-13 at 12:27 PM
Ikea showed a same-sex ad with children in one of their initial ads here. It ran for a couple months or so. I'm not sure if it was a national ad or not.

Posted by Estee on 09-27-13 at 01:02 PM
Really doesn't do much for my buying habits: I get fresh once in a while and when I don't, it's Ronzoni. But I'll add them to the Chick-F-'Em list.

For same-sex couple ads... I got the one SagebrushDan mentioned. There's also been at least one TV spot for insurance. We also have the Holland banners running on this site, although I just find those obnoxious -- and not for the couples.

It's slow, but it is happening.

Posted by kingfish on 09-27-13 at 01:12 PM
Well, maybe the Pop-Tarts ad people will come around.

Awaiting the day.

"Bertolli is gay-friendly"
Posted by CTgirl on 09-29-13 at 06:11 PM
Bertolli ads features gays (but so far only in Europe)

"RE: Bertolli is gay-friendly"
Posted by tribephyl on 09-29-13 at 06:16 PM
Interesting imagery...
So, I'm a penne. And you're a farfalle.
Hmmm...

"RE: Bertolli is gay-friendly"
Posted by CTgirl on 09-29-13 at 08:07 PM
I did like the cute little farfelle dress but I'll always be a peach to you!