URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38232
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Caution: major Church schism ahead."

Posted by Estee on 09-19-13 at 06:40 PM
I always felt there was a strong element in the Vatican which would rather die than change -- or just leave. We may be about to find out just how reactionary it is.

http://www.americamagazine.org/pope-interview

Put it this way: there's a chance I could learn to stand this one. And if I'm feeling possible tolerance on the distant horizon, a lot of people are going to go the other way.

He's trying to drag them into at least the last century. I admire the effort. But others -- won't.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Caution: major Church schism ahead."
Posted by Snidget on 09-19-13 at 07:19 PM
I heard a few bits on the way home. How the heck did he hide all this during the game in order to get the jury to vote for him in the end?

Posted by Estee on 09-19-13 at 07:39 PM
Four-decade float.

Posted by dabo on 09-19-13 at 08:06 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-19-13 AT 08:07 PM (EST)

After the Italian text was officially approved, America commissioned a team of five independent experts to translate it into English. America is solely responsible for the accuracy of this translation.

How soon until the blame Obama crowd starts in?

Posted by cahaya on 09-19-13 at 08:33 PM
Mark my words, Pope Francis will be known as being within the same compassionate circle as the Dalai Lama and Ghandi. I admired Pope John Paul (having read some of his books), but Pope Francis is truly extraordinary. Every single word he says rings with truth and humility as a human being.

Ghandi by smokeysmom

"Religion has the right to express its opinion in the service of the people, but God in creation has set us free: it is not possible to interfere spiritually in the life of a person." -- Pope Francis

Posted by Karchita on 09-19-13 at 10:07 PM

I never thought I'd become a pope fan. But it's happening.

"Yep"
Posted by moonbaby on 09-20-13 at 09:08 AM
me too.

"Not so fast...."
Posted by HobbsofMI on 09-20-13 at 02:23 PM
Pope Blast Abortion

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

"RE: Not so fast...."
Posted by bondt007 on 09-20-13 at 03:13 PM
...yes, so fast.

Posted by Karchita on 09-20-13 at 04:21 PM
I'm not asking for a miracle.

I think women have a right to control their own bodies, but I can live with a pope who sees it differently and still be a fan of his for other reasons.

Posted by dabo on 09-20-13 at 08:03 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-13 AT 08:05 PM (EST)

So, the other day I got caught behind a Catholic truck in traffic. Old Ford pick-up, a bit on the beat up side, seen better days. Red. Bunch of stuff in the back, smoker at the wheel. Now, normally I wouldn't know or care what church a truck attends. But this truck wanted me to know it was Catholic. Very proudly Catholic I guess, that old red beat-up truck. It wasn't just the bumper stickers, the license plate spelled it out, mighty proud.

Thing is, you see, one of those bumper stickers said you can't be both Catholic and Pro-Choice. Pretty insistant it was. But no bother to me as I'm not Catholic anyway, never was.

Anyway, I don't imagine the pope has the power to tell a Catholic truck what it can and cannot say with the bumper stickers it sports.

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 09-20-13 at 11:04 PM
Some of my classmates are nuns. They're ecstatic with this guy. So are my Catholic profs. They taught me how to read between the lines of what he's saying, too.

They're been concerned about the backlash brewing, too, but it was either this or lose the American Catholics, who were on the verge of splitting before Francis came on the scene.

I don't remember who it was, but someone on this board said that if a Jesuit became pope, she'd return to the Church.

Transcribed by Sharnina

Posted by dabo on 09-20-13 at 11:31 PM
Basically, this is a signal to the priests and other church figures, and it all boils down to a very simple message: Hate the sin, love the sinner. He couldn't change church doctrine, or if he could simply giving an interview isn't the way it is done. But don't get bogged down in dogma. Don't be the Southern Baptist Convention.

Posted by bondt007 on 09-19-13 at 09:09 PM
"...The church sometimes has locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules. The most important thing is the first proclamation: Jesus Christ has saved you. And the ministers of the church must be ministers of mercy above all..."

-so good !

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

"Commoners Reactions"
Posted by dabo on 09-22-13 at 08:56 PM
-- from around the world.

http://news.msn.com/world/catholics-react-to-popes-remarks-on-gays-abortion

Worshippers applauded what they heard as a message of inclusion from the man who assumed the papacy just six months ago.

"I think he's spot on," said Shirley Holzknecht, 77, a retired school principal attending services in Little Rock, Ark. ..

In Havana, Cuba, Irene Delgado said the church needs to adapt to modern times. "The world evolves, and I believe that the Catholic Church is seeing that it is being left behind, and that is not good," ..

In Brasilia, Brazil, .. 22-year-old student Maria das Gracas Lemos said Francis was "bringing the church up to date." .. In Brazil, people are no longer rejected because they are divorced," Lemos said. "The church has to catch up with changes in society, even if it still doesn't admit divorce."

Isaias Miguel Ortiz, a teacher at a private university in the Dominican Republic, took a similar view of Pope Francis' statements on gays. Although he believes the church will never accept homosexuality, Ortiz said Francis is "getting closer to more people. All the people should be accepted the way they are," ..

Martha Fabiola Rojas Lerma, 76, of Mexico City .. "It was very correctly well-spoken," she said. "There's a lot of injustice. Instead, we should work so that everyone has the basics, shelter, food, clothing." ..

Outside a church in Coral Gables, Fla., Frank Recio said he was grateful that the pope is trying to shift the church's tone ..
"I think the Catholic Church had gotten out of touch with the way the world was evolving," ..

Jose Baltazar, .. longtime church volunteer in Manila, in the Philippines, said the pope has set his priorities mindful of stark realities.

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-24-13 at 10:43 AM
No wonder Timothy Dolan looks so mad these days.