URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38163
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Vacation question"

Posted by Molaholic on 07-25-13 at 01:33 PM
My friend and I have been discussing a new trip (we had to cancel Toronto - missing the Dodgers sweep ). We're looking at London and Paris. I've been to London before and have a decent idea on what I'd like to see and do, but Paris is an unknown.

So besides the obvious tourist musts (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, etc), what MUST SEEs are there? We'll only have two days (maybe three). We'll be there the first week of January (after celebrating New Years in London).

This will be something new for me, a wintertime trip to someplace where weather may play a factor -- and I'm not sure what to expect. I've got zero cold-weather clothes so that'll be another thing to add.

Mucho lurve to tribe 2012

Table of contents
  • RE: Vacation question,PepeLePew13, 01:58 PM, 07-25-13
  • RE: Vacation question,kingfish, 02:04 PM, 07-25-13
  • RE: Vacation question,Starshine, 04:22 PM, 07-25-13
  • RE: Vacation question,kidflash212, 04:28 PM, 08-06-13

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Vacation question"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 07-25-13 at 01:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-25-13 AT 02:09 PM (EST)

Too bad we missed out on meeting up in Toronto, but probably just as well as I'd have been super-grumpy particularly after the last two games!

Paris, ahh that's going to be nice. I spent three weeks there as part of an exchange program, but that was quite some time ago, and I've been there two other times. I can give you some general suggestions but don't have anything more recent.

In terms of what to wear, Paris isn't as cold as some Canadian cities, but still plenty cold to an Angeleno such as yourself. The trick is layers, layers, layers. You don't need a big bulky coat, but wearing layers will keep you warm and allow you to take one or two off if you start to feel too warm, or to put one on if you're cold without feeling too bulky.

Versailles is a fascinating place - the chateau has all sorts of historic stuff to see in there and the grounds are breathtaking in the spring. It's a little out of the way, though, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you had an extra day in town. It's one of two places that I went back to each time I was in Paris (the other being Montmartre).

The Louvre is always nice to visit especially if it's particularly cold out there.

Montmartre was a favourite of mine, I enjoyed walking through the old streets and checking out the views particularly as it started to get dark, and there's a cable car that goes up to the Sacre Coeur basilique which is worth the view of the city and the architectural features of the building.

It's not going to be as crowded as it's off-peak season, so take advantage of the many cafes that will be everywhere to savor the Paris goodies. You'd be there right around the time of an old Parisian tradition of gathering for post-Christmas sales as the government regulates the sales to take place twice a year, and some shops may be crowded so a heads up for that.

Enjoy!

Posted by kingfish on 07-25-13 at 02:04 PM
Must sees in Paris have to include art museums. I like the Musee D'Orsey (sp?) the most, but the premier art museum in Paris is the Louvre, conveniently located near the Orangerie, outdoor artists, and King Louis the something or other's palace.

Also lots of Palaces.

But really, 2 days? How can you go to the trouble of going to Paris, and only stay 2 days. You’ll still be suffering jet lag for your arrival in Paris when you return to Cal. Call in sick and add a week at least. Better, two.

Posted by Starshine on 07-25-13 at 04:22 PM
The Louvre is wonderful, but there is really too much to see there, if you are on a two day trip the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo and the rooms around you should give a good intro. The Catacombs could be quite interesting.

Don't walk along the Champs Elysee there are gangs that are a little rough when they relive tourists of their money along there.

Paris is a lovely city, but I would have to say that I think it is much better in the summer when you can sit outside and peoplewatch. Have you thought of Amsterdam? Pea and sausage soup in a snug cafe, skating by the museums, pancakes, oliebollen, rijsttafel, hidden church, Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum, always fun!

Posted by kidflash212 on 08-06-13 at 04:28 PM
While I would love to see Paris (or London), two days feels too short. Like being offered only one chocolate chip cookie.