URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38124
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Pink Lemonade For Peace"

Posted by dabo on 06-15-13 at 11:23 PM
Read and enjoy.

Selling Lemonade Outside Westboro Baptist Church

The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. (Isaiah 11:6)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"So.."
Posted by foonermints on 06-16-13 at 01:19 PM
People don't like the Baptist Church?

Sounds like trouble. Of course, the Old Testament God sounded pretty crabby, too.

That getting kicked out of Paradise thing is still bothering me.

"RE: So.."
Posted by kingfish on 06-16-13 at 02:23 PM
Give him an atta boy for feeding people to fish.

Posted by foonermints on 06-16-13 at 02:59 PM
Everything is a win-win for you.

What? Am I talking to Estee? Lucky bastaad!

Posted by Snidget on 06-16-13 at 02:25 PM
Not Baptists in general. The Westboro Baptist Church, specifically.

I don't know if the Baptists want anything to do with the Phelps' sect/family cult. They are unaffiliated with any of the major Baptist organizations.

Have you not heard of them? The ones that go to funerals to show God's love by reminding you of exactly how much God hate you.

Posted by dabo on 06-16-13 at 02:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-16-13 AT 02:31 PM (EST)

The WBC is an independent baptist church, all other baptists are angels in comparison to them.

The Phelpses are basically on a Crusade, and are particularly despicable about it.

"Oh! OK"
Posted by foonermints on 06-16-13 at 02:51 PM
So this is like the crazy Baptist Church.
Snidget: No, never heard of them. This is a good thing.

Are they led by a relative of Jim Jones or something?

Wackazoids! Right up my alley!

"RE: Oh! OK"
Posted by dabo on 06-16-13 at 03:05 PM
Fred Phelps is a disbarred lawyer, founder of the Phelps Chartered law firm, and a former civil rights activist. A member of the Democratic Party, he has occasionally run for political office. ... Phelps's followers frequently picket various events, such as military funerals, gay pride gatherings, high-profile political gatherings, university commencement ceremonies, performances of The Laramie Project, mainstream Christian gatherings and concerts with which he had no affiliation, arguing it is their sacred duty to warn others of God's anger. ... He is known for the slogans that he and his ministry use against people he deems sinful; his church is built around a core of anti-homosexual theology, with many of their activities stemming from the slogan "God hates fags", which is also the name of the group's main website. ... Phelps believes that President Barack Obama is the Antichrist and that he will form an Unholy Trinity with the Catholic Church and Satan.

The congregation of the WBC is mostly composed of members of his family.

Posted by dabo on 06-16-13 at 03:20 PM
The WBC are also the people who showed up to protest the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con, resulting in a spectacular counter-protest.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/22/super-heroes-vs-the-westboro-baptist-church/

Posted by Snidget on 06-16-13 at 03:43 PM
Given they are desperate attention whores of the first magnitude I am impressed they have never entered into your consciousness before now.

In addition to the Comic-con anti-protesters there are people who will go to the funerals to be a shield between the God killed your family members and we are happy about it people and the mourners.

Since the "Church" gets as much press for threatening to protest they don't always go, and they have been losing a few members lately, even ones that were born into it. They don't have many recruits, but there are a few who aren't members of the family.

I don't think he's any relation of any other cult leader, but from the reports of the people that have left he does the fairly standard everyone who isn't one of us must be avoided kind of thing. As well as the question dear leader and you will be kicked out of the church and your family will disown you thing.

They do sometimes call radio programs and sing parody songs that are all about how delighted they are about all the people God hates. They find themselves most amusing, even if they horrify everyone else. They do say they believe the only way to get to heaven is to make sure everyone who isn't a member of their church is clear about how much God hates them and how gleeful God is at tossing them into hell.

"Blast from the past"
Posted by dabo on 06-16-13 at 03:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-16-13 AT 03:58 PM (EST)

http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=35848&forum=DCForumID6&archive=yes

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/07/22/comic-con-reacts-to-fred-phelp/

"RE: Blast from the past"
Posted by Snidget on 06-16-13 at 03:55 PM
should we tell fooner he posted on that thresd?

Posted by foonermints on 06-16-13 at 05:49 PM
No.

Crazies come and go. Do I have to remember them all? *sob* /Snidgets Hopeful Expectations of the foonerbrain©.

Freaking nutjobs. Aren't they supposed to live by me?
It's California for God's Sake. *stomps some crazies flat* WHOMP!

Posted by Snidget on 06-16-13 at 07:47 PM
Well I'll put it on the shelf with my hopeful expectations of Sagebrush Dan's Gaydar.

Posted by dabo on 06-16-13 at 08:43 PM
The WBC is universally despised. Other baptists, including the Southern Baptist Convention, have denounced them. Just how universally despised are they? Universally, you know, means universally. In 2011 the KKK staged a counter-protest at Arlington National Cemetery just hours before the nation's Memorial Day observances at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/05/31/Ku-Klux-Klan-protests-Westboro-church/UPI-70141306845282/

"Wow"
Posted by foonermints on 06-16-13 at 11:13 PM
That is crazy. Rude crazy!

Idiots!
From my upbringing, rude and insensitivity is a cardinal sin. Not that I am the nicest guy on the planet, but I don't attack.. GAH! I've run out of words. Dam!

"RE: Pink Lemonade For Peace"
Posted by kingfish on 06-17-13 at 08:36 AM
LAST EDITED ON 06-17-13 AT 11:27 AM (EST)

Good for her!

And we shouldn't be picking on Fooner. He's old. And creaky.

Posted by foonermints on 06-17-13 at 11:50 AM
*WHACK*
and whacky. You forgot whacky.

Posted by Snidget on 06-17-13 at 03:01 PM
whacky or wacky?

Posted by foonermints on 06-17-13 at 04:50 PM
I blame a misguided English/Canadian heritage for my overuse of "H" and "U".

Where those genes came from, I do not know.
Electrician? Plumber? Someone in the woodpile?

"...oy."
Posted by Estee on 06-18-13 at 03:19 PM
I was just told this existed.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/106436/westboro-in-equestria

And then I ran for my life.

No, I did not read it.

Pink ponies for peace.

"RE: ...oy."
Posted by kingfish on 06-18-13 at 03:43 PM
Bonnie Zacherle might be having a little chuckle. I mean, obviously she's aghast, but I bet that there’s a little semi-smile lurking at the corners of her lips, too.

"RE: ...oy."
Posted by Estee on 06-18-13 at 04:25 PM
Gawds only knows what Ms. Faust thinks -- or if, for this: I'm told the writers are asked not to look at fan writings to prevent accusations of script stealing.

Then again, I don't think this was ever going to be a script.

"Dummies"
Posted by dabo on 06-18-13 at 04:59 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-18-13 AT 05:06 PM (EST)

Westboro counter-attacks. Dummies should have just not done anything at all as she sold her lemonade, but they just can't help themselves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/westboro-baptist-church-responds-lemonade_n_3455642.html?ref=topbar

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1196029/thumbs/o-WESTBORO-BAPTIST-CHURCH-RESPONDS-570.jpg?6

More noise they make, more money Jayden makes. To date, Jayden has helped raise more than $16,000 for Planting Peace and the Equality House.

"RE: Dummies"
Posted by cahaya on 06-18-13 at 06:11 PM
You know, the more attention the media gives to WBC, a congregation of just a few people who do and say outrageous things, the more I think it's just a media fad. And if it's on the media, there is money to be made.

Posted by dabo on 06-18-13 at 06:29 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-18-13 AT 07:09 PM (EST)

Thing is, though, that the WBC usually wants that money. They act in hopes their rights will somehow be violated and they will be able to file a lawsuit which they can win. Other than the Rainbow House being located intentionally across the street from their church building nothing was actually directed at them in any of this story. A little girl sells lemonade to raise money for a charity promoting peace. On what pretext will they try to sue the charity?

Posted by Snidget on 06-18-13 at 06:33 PM
I missed the sue thy neighbor commandment in Sunday School. As well as the blessed are the lawyers.

Posted by Snidget on 06-18-13 at 06:30 PM
Well I definitely think the WBC crowd are driving at least some of the coverage.

They don't act like a quiet group of worshipers who want to be left alone to practice their religion.

Now the media doesn't have to publish every one of their press releases, but I'm pretty sure if the media decided no one wanted to hear about these people again (and we love to watch the freak show as a culture in general) they would just keep upping the ante until someone would mention them again.

Yep the media makes money off of them, but I can't see them as innocent victims of the media.

"Update"
Posted by dabo on 06-21-13 at 09:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-21-13 AT 09:39 PM (EST)

http://www.crowdrise.com/jaydenslemonade/fundraiser/Planting-Peace

$20,486

Posted by dabo on 07-19-13 at 10:09 PM
read and chuckle

http://now.msn.com/westboro-baptist-church-founders-dead-mother-turned-gay-by-satanic-temple?ocid=ansnowex