URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38082
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Life from a Yearbook"

Posted by Starshine on 05-08-13 at 07:13 AM
OK this story is a few days old, but it intrigued me. Apparently some schools have a "yearbook" which contains photographs of the students in it, seems odd to me but hey ho chacun son gout.

Anyway this school wanted students to be photographed with “something that represents you and helped you achieve something.”

Caitlin Tiller decided that her son fitted the bill, however as she was rather young when he was born the school felt otherwise and her picture didn't make it into the album.

We could discuss if their decision made sense, however I was more intrigued by finding our what OTters would have as their prop if we had an OT yearbook? Although I shall emulate Wheatmore High School and say no children otherwise I suspect every parent would go with that!

So what represents you and had helped you achieve something?

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Life from a Yearbook"
Posted by cqvenus on 05-08-13 at 08:29 AM

1. this school is idiotic. hiding teenaged pregnancy behind nonpublication of photos is about as helpful in preventing teenaged pregnancy as the whole abstinence-only educational policies. grr.

2. i haven't achieved anything in my personal life since i've had my children. lol other than having them, of course. so i wouldn't really say they helped me achieve anything outside of having created them. which is awesome. every single day. but if we aren't counting making/raising children, then i'd have to go back to pre-mother life...

3. hmmm... i'm going to sound like even more of a jerk after #2 there but i guess i am lucky in that i haven't really struggled to achieve anything. i have graduated from HS, college, and grad school. none of it was particularly difficult...

something that represents me NOW is obviously my children. they don't just represent me, they ARE me. but something pre-children that represents me is some variation of this:

something that helped me achieve something is different. like i said nothing was difficult... but i have managed to "achieve" something i truly never thought i would have in my life, which is a family of my own. and this is made possible by my husband, because i also never thought i'd have a husband. not really. we've now been married 7 years and some days i just can't believe i am this wife, stay at home mom, and mother to these kids. so i guess i'd say my husband.

of course if people are out, see the canucks logo above.

Posted by Starshine on 05-08-13 at 09:45 AM
Tricky one, I seem to have fallen into things generally and things tend to go wrong when I try and direct the flow.

Something that I would like to represent me would be an aeroplane. I used to travel a lot for work and for pleasure, and hope to do so again, not only has this given me a great deal of enjoyment and allowed me to see and experience many wonderful things but it has also broadened my mind and allowed me in a shallow way to experience other cultures.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

I have to admit I still get homesick for Rotterdamn from time to time. And whilst I am a little iffy on Calgary the only place which I have visited that I don't want to go back to is Brussels.

Posted by byoffer on 05-08-13 at 09:59 AM
This will seem strange, but I will say my baseball glove.

The glove is symbolic of all the volunteering I have done. Sure most of it is for my kids, but the volunteering is for me. (hopefully this doesn't break the Wheatmore High School rule!)

Over the years I have:
- been a Scout leader (3 years)
- soccer coach (5 years)
- built sets for plays and dance shows (4 years)
- gone on school trips (16 yr olds on the subway? worse than herding cats)
- coached and run baseball leagues (lost count, but about 9 years)

So why the baseball glove, and not, say, my Scout uniform? Because I have never played organized baseball. Heck, I don't even really like the sport, especially for kids (who stand in the field bored because the ball never comes to them (and when it does they aren't watching!)). But I would rather have the kids active in baseball than home on the couch.

And because it is helping others, and that is what I really get the most enjoyment doing. Add to the list above shoveling a neighbour's sidewalk, helping push a stuck car, or helping a buddy move - these are the things that I feel represent me.

Posted by cahaya on 05-08-13 at 11:06 AM
Life itself is a yearbook, each year marking our growth since our conception and birth into childhood, adolescence and adulthood.

As such, with fifty six years of my life experience, my birth spoon, marking the date and time of my coming into this world, represents me and my life's achievements.

Light and life by smokeysmom

Posted by byoffer on 05-08-13 at 01:04 PM
Ah, so you were born with a silver spoon!

Posted by cahaya on 05-08-13 at 02:20 PM
Ummm, hmmm...

Posted by kingfish on 05-08-13 at 11:59 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-13 AT 12:00 PM (EST)

Navin R. Johnson: ”Well I'm gonna to go then! And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything. Except this.“

(picks up an ashtray).

Navin R. Johnson: ”And that's the only thing I need is this ashtray. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray...“

“And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need...“

“And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need...“

“And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball...“

"And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all I need."

"And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one..."

"I need this magazine. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.”

(walking outside).

Navin R. Johnson: ”The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair.”

Navin R. Johnson: "And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.”

(Shithead growls at him).

Navin R. Johnson: ”I don't need my dog.”

Posted by kidflash212 on 05-08-13 at 12:38 PM
Most of my achievements are of a scholarly nature so I think I would have to go with a library. Our course, my High School yearbook photos are completely off limits and should never be posted anywhere.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by foonermints on 05-08-13 at 01:23 PM
Lots of custom-made backpacks. Hard armor vests for Navy Seals?
Makalu? Noshaq?
Tequila?
I've been busy!

Of course there's my son and grandson. Busy little devil himself, wasn't he?

Oh right, and Sandee. She's the best. Nevermind about any of the rest. Except maybe the Tequila.

Posted by kingfish on 05-08-13 at 07:23 PM
I was born.

I lived.

I died.

And all I got was this lousy T-Shirt.

And this ashtray.