URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38069
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Why Guppies Jump!"

Posted by kingfish on 04-29-13 at 11:30 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-13 AT 01:14 PM (EST)

http://www.livescience.com/29116-why-guppies-jump-evolution.html

This is nice research, and it’s good to know that someone decided that Guppy behavior was worth looking into. About time, in fact. But why 'why do we jump?' Why not 'why do we cry?' Or 'what type of bubblers do Guppies prefer?' Or' why has no one published a Playfish magazine with racy pictures of beautiful Guppy girls?' (Hey, we’re human too. Well, sort of). Or 'what can you do to improve the very important welfare of your Guppy?' All of these things would be vastly interesting, but most importantly 'why has no one been donating to the “New Duesenberg for Guppie” fund?' Come on people, the clock is ticking, EBay is waiting my next bid.

But OK, to answer the pressing question, “why do we jump?”

(ahem). It’s like this. We are fishy Daws, and we need attention. Constant attention. I know it sounds needy, but that’s the way it is. Also, a little known fact is that we have hillbilly Guppy Brewmeisters that have mastered the art of brewing moon-shine water inside a water tank (and if you don’t think that was an accomplishment, you really should think again), and, well, that and the Dawness thing leads to a lot of young fry who haven’t learned to handle their Moonie-water (our favorite brand of fish hooch) yet bumping in to glass walls and randomly jumping out of containers. We stress to all the little fry that Moonie-water and cruising around clam shells, castles, and bubbling deep-sea water tank divers don’t mix. Tragedy can strike at any time, including careening out of control onto the carpet. But will they listen? NO!

Kids these days.

BTW, to help prevent those unnecessary inebriated guppy deaths (something all of can relate to, I’m sure), Guppy moms organized a movement designed to save young guppies from drinking Moonie water and driving called “Mom Guppies Against Flopping, Ever”, MOMSAFE. All proceeds will go the “New Duesenberg for Guppy” fund, and are all tax write-offs. So give till it hurts, because remember, a dead guppy is something no one wants. Ever. And a Cool ride for your favorite Guppy is something we all want.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Why Guppies Jump!"
Posted by kidflash212 on 04-29-13 at 11:40 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-13 AT 11:43 AM (EST)

"When a guppy jumped out of a laboratory tank and nearly landed in her cup of tea, Daphne Soares couldn’t resist putting her current research on hold to investigate this strange leaping behavior."

British guppy. Solved.

Posted by kingfish on 04-29-13 at 11:46 AM
Thanks. For that insight, you can drive my new Deusenberg. After delivery.

Posted by Molaholic on 04-29-13 at 03:36 PM
Thanks. For that insight, you can drive my new Deusenberg. After delivery.

You know, of course, that this British guppy will drive your Deusenberg on the wrong side of the road...

Posted by DearAbby on 04-29-13 at 12:14 PM
Wonder if wearing a life jacket would keep them from jumping?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2313439/Disabled-fish-swim-right-way-owner-makes-LIFE-JACKET-stop-sinking-tank.html

From agman's garden

Posted by Snidget on 04-29-13 at 01:01 PM
I had a sinking goldfish once, it wasn't disabled, just greedy.

When I fed it floating goldfish food it would gulp so much air that it would float, belly up, on the surface until the gas passed out of it.

So, I bought sinking goldfish food. And I got...a sinking goldfish.

I thought the Sinking and Floating was supposed to describe the food, not the effect on the fish.

Posted by kingfish on 04-29-13 at 01:11 PM
Sometimes we get a little gassy. Sad but true.

Posted by kingfish on 04-30-13 at 10:01 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-13 AT 10:02 AM (EST)

And sometimes we jump because someone gives us a quick kick in the tailfin.