URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38052
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Oldest person you have known"

Posted by byoffer on 04-09-13 at 04:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-09-13 AT 04:35 PM (EST)

There is a commercial on the tv lately wherein they asked a lot of people how old the oldest person they have ever known was. Then they plot this data on a humongous graph to show that most people seem to have known someone in there 90s, and gosh, hadn't we all better save more for retirement.

So let's do our own little OT survey on this. How old is/was the oldest person you have known, and just for fun the oldest blood relative?

I will post my response below.

PS - no, I didn't just call you all old!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Oldest person you have known"
Posted by byoffer on 04-09-13 at 04:42 PM
The oldest person I have met was 96 back in 1989. He was a cousin of my mother's (from an earlier generation) and was actually a survivor of the Australian army attack on Galipoli in WWI. Although he was family, I don't think he was a blood relative. I heard he died a year or two after I met him.

My dad just turned 84. I think that he is a few years younger than his mother was when she passed away (I don't recall the exact age, but 87 seems about right). Both of my mother's parents died in their early 80s.

Posted by Starshine on 04-09-13 at 09:52 PM
I always think I am saving loads for my retirement, and then I look at my pension statement and worry, No retirement at 60 for Starshine

I think that the oldest people that I have known are blood relatives, three of my Grandparents made it through to their mid eighties.

Who wants to live forever?

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

British - Zimmer Frame = American - Walker

Posted by foonermints on 04-10-13 at 05:33 PM
Who wants to live forever?

foonermints: fixing silly mistakes with more silly mistakes.

Posted by Brownroach on 04-09-13 at 10:11 PM
My dad, who passed away at 94, which answers both questions.

Posted by KwietOne on 04-10-13 at 01:03 AM
The oldest person that I know currently is my Grandma Juaning. I just came back from the Philippines just last night and part of my trip was visiting her. She is currently 97 years old.

Posted by cahaya on 04-10-13 at 02:20 AM
The oldest person I've known, too, is my grandma Kay, my dad's mom, in her early nineties. I was living in Kuala Lumpur then and saw her very soon before she left this world.

Posted by SOAR64 on 04-10-13 at 09:00 AM
My mother's side of the family have had members who lived a long time. My Great Uncle Calvin lived to be 102. He was in World War 1. His sister (my grandmother) lived to age 96.

Posted by Molaholic on 04-10-13 at 09:56 AM
My great grandmother lived to age 90. At the time we had five generations living in the family:

Delia (my great-grandmother)
Audrey (her daughter, my grandmother)
Pat (her daughter, my aunt)
Chris (her daughter, my cousin)
Danny (her son, my second cousin & the only banana in the bunch)

Posted by kingfish on 04-10-13 at 10:11 AM
An uncle, who at 97 is still limping along.

Posted by kidflash212 on 04-10-13 at 12:35 PM
I know two women over 100. Both are still sharp.

Posted by susang on 04-10-13 at 01:36 PM
I know a retired professor (94). He maintains his intellectual abilities, and has a wicked sense of humor.

"About 30"
Posted by foonermints on 04-10-13 at 03:21 PM
Wise beyond his years. Living in the Himalayas might do that to you.
My dad croaked @ 56. Hells Bells, that is old.
We're a pretty short-lived clan, so enjoy me while you have the chance.

foonermints: One day of evil!

Posted by tribephyl on 04-10-13 at 04:14 PM
6 oldest people I know...
My Maternal Great Grandmother died at 96, her husband died at 93. He was a fisherman in Alaska until his late 70s. Retired as a rockhound.
My Paternal Great Grandfather died at 103. A Californian Oilman right up to the end.
My Partner's parents are 90 and 87 and still kicken' it on Cape Cod.
I also have a GreatAunt whom is currently 83 and still races sand-buggies.

Posted by foonermints on 04-10-13 at 04:19 PM
I bet I could win against your great aunt.

Foonermint: One Day of Wonder!

Posted by taffnic on 04-10-13 at 05:51 PM
My grandmother was 102 when she died.

The oldest non-relative was a 104 yr old lady I took care of as a patient many years ago. She prayed that God would let her die cause she didn't want to live to be 100. She lived and was mad at God for a long time. Each pending birthday after that she would pray the same thing and then get mad again when she still lived.

creation by Agman

Posted by Puffy on 04-10-13 at 07:36 PM
I work with geriatric patients so I know lots of people in their 90's. One recently had her driver's license renewed for 5 years. My grandmother was 91 when she died. My mother-in-law is 89. I've learned a lot of history on a personal level from these folks.

Posted by CTgirl on 04-11-13 at 01:41 AM
My maternal grandmother was 95 when she died, her sister was 96. My Nana made her first trip to Europe when she was 87. She rode on her first motorcycle (with my brother) when she was 87 too. Both of these occurred after my grandfather died. He was a great guy but kind of old school when it came to certain things.

My paternal grandparents weren't slackers either. They both died in their early ninties.

Posted by dabo on 04-12-13 at 01:35 AM
Death by longevity is a curse on one branch of my family tree. When I was little the oldest person I knew was my great grandmother, my mother's mother's mother. I don't know how old she was when she died, but she was well into her 90s or older. Despite being cursed with longevity she was blessed with senility, we had a lot of fun playing together. Then my brother was born and she passed on shortly afterwards.

Her daughter, my grandmother, lived to 100. Two of her children, my great uncle and my great aunt, lived to be 101. Aside: great uncle's wife passed away the year following his passing at 99, they had celebrated their silver anniversary a little bit before he passed, that was pretty cool.

Another daughter, my great aunt, was the oldest person I've ever known. She was 105 years and 10 months old when she passed away. On my birthday. That sucked.

Now, to quote Dan Aykroyd from Twilight Zone: The Movie, "Hey... you wanna see something really scary?"

My great great great grandfather (not really certain of the number of greats), though I didn't actually know him of course:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7385510

Posted by Puffy on 04-12-13 at 02:36 AM
Cool!

I guess this might settle the age-old OT fruit dilemma of banana vs peach.

Posted by jbug on 04-12-13 at 11:44 AM
She died this morning; age 99

She & her husband were school teachers when my mother went to school; later he became the county school super; and later she had the position. She helped me get my first job after high school as a teacher's aide in the kindergarten program.

RIP Mrs. Dot

Agman brightens my life May 2012

Posted by dabo on 04-12-13 at 11:39 PM
My condolences. Seems she had not only a good long run but a life well spent.