URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38051
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"RIP Annette Funicello"

Posted by Snidget on 04-08-13 at 01:37 PM
Uh-oh That makes two, will there be a third?

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-et-st-mickey-mouse-club-star-annette-funicello-dies-at-70-20130408,0,5659102.story

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: RIP Annette Funicello"
Posted by Estee on 04-08-13 at 01:56 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-13 AT 02:50 PM (EST)

And thus did an entire generation learn about the wonders of puberty.

Posted by kingfish on 04-08-13 at 02:00 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-13 AT 02:01 PM (EST)

I was in awe of her puberty.

RIP Annette, if I'd only known the about the concept back then, and if you had lived within tricycling range, I would have stalked.

Posted by dabo on 04-08-13 at 02:11 PM
Rest in peace, Annette. A groundbreaking feminist, really. Disney wanted her to wear modest one-pieces in the Beach movies but she flung caution to the wind and wore bikinis instead.

with her figure the one-pieces probably would have been sexier

Posted by SOAR64 on 04-09-13 at 09:35 AM
She also told the story about the time Walt Disney wanted the Mickey Mouse Club girls to wear T-shirts underneath their sweaters in order to hide their breasts as they developed and the outline of their nipples began to show. She said that several of the girls got together including herself, and used a pair of scisors to cut out parts of the T-shirts which would allowed the outline to show thru.

Posted by CTgirl on 04-08-13 at 02:31 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-13 AT 02:32 PM (EST)

Annette is third if you count Lilly Pulitzer dying yesterday.

ETA: I don't think Annette ever wore a Lilly Pulitzer bathing suit though she should have!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 04-08-13 at 02:49 PM
Or if you count Roger Ebert from Friday. Lilly Pulitzer isn't as much of a mega-name as Funicello and Thatcher, so Ebert could fit here.

Posted by CTgirl on 04-08-13 at 03:31 PM
No matter who you count, it is always amazing how celebs often die in pairs, 3s, and 4s!

I dare say Lilly Pulitzer is a bigger name with a certain section of young women than Roger Ebert is!

Posted by byoffer on 04-08-13 at 07:54 PM
I was at a charity auction 2 weeks ago, and one of the auction items was a record (vinyl!) that was apparently a country album that Annette made when she was finally released from her Disney contract. The story is that her house caught fire a few years ago (referenced in the Marriages and children section here], and someone ran in to save some relics. One relic was a box of these records. It was still sealed, and had some soot under the folds of the cellophane, but was still sealed. I did not bid, but was quite intrigued with the story.

RIP Annette. Now you are really free of Disney.

Posted by cahaya on 04-08-13 at 08:10 PM
Now you are really free of Disney.

Perhaps, yes, free from the corporate entity that evolved and constrained her in this world here, successful as she was, but perhaps she is now together with Walt's spirit into the next world.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

Posted by dabo on 04-08-13 at 08:12 PM

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_7746/annette-funicello/albumcovers

Posted by byoffer on 04-08-13 at 10:26 PM
That's the one.

Posted by Puffy on 04-09-13 at 01:16 AM
She was my favorite Mouseketeer. Loved her.

Too bad about the MS.

So sad.

Posted by Molaholic on 04-09-13 at 11:57 AM
I too am of the generation that marveled at Annette's sweater. (Granted, via reruns).

All snarkism asside, she was a marvelous talent who was taken way too early (by an insidious condition). She is now free of that horror.

RIP and thank you.

Posted by Brownroach on 04-09-13 at 02:45 PM
I think nothing has ever made me feel "old" the way that this news does.

It's funny, looking at pictures of her on the Internet, I realize now that she must have had work done to narrow her nose at some point, though she didn't need to, imo - but she still looked good afterward.

I added four Beach Party movies to my Netflix queue in tribute. RIP, Annette, you were always a class act.

Posted by Sunny_Bunny on 04-12-13 at 00:50 AM
I remember watching the MMC in reruns - And this was my favorite serial.