URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38035
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"They finally killed one"

Posted by Snidget on 03-25-13 at 07:25 PM
Contestant on Survivor France dies during the first challenge of the season they were filming.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/25/survivor-france-gerald-babin-dies_n_2949934.html?utm_hp_ref=tv

So, if it had been the American version would EPMB have immediately sent everyone home, or would he film the rest of the season.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: They finally killed one"
Posted by cahaya on 03-25-13 at 07:48 PM
It seems like Gerald had a pre-existing medical condition, aggravated by the excessive stress of the competition. Wow, he died so young, just 25 years old.

Perhaps what is likely after this is a more rigorous physical examination of cast participants prior to competition.

Caged by Snidget

"Who Would Know?"
Posted by foonermints on 03-25-13 at 08:01 PM
If it was pre-existing, isn't there some kind of medical background check that would nix the contestant?

EPMB would have kept filming. Or digitizing. Or whatever it's called today. The Show Must Go On. That kinda stuff.

I'am still around.

eta: people really shouldn't die on stupid game shows. Maybe in Japan. They are inscrutable.

"RE: Who Would Know?"
Posted by Estee on 03-25-13 at 08:33 PM
Well, let's see. First, they would have kept filming at all times and from every possible angle, at variable speeds so they wouldn't have to do too many editing tricks for the dramatic last breath. Then they would have denied him medical attention because nothing brings on the ratings like Tonight, Someone Dies! So naturally, as soon as that heart stopped beating, we start planning the Tonight, Someone Dies! ad campaign, beginning with teasers about The Most Shocking Episode Ever and slowly dropping hints that someone got hurt, then gradually ramping up rumors and spoiler tweets until the premiere airs. Now in order to keep all this a secret, the contract gets rewritten to include everyone this poor man ever knew or met and if any of them talk, they get sued for five million dollars. To further protect this, the body is not delivered to the family: it becomes the property of the show, just like everyone who appears on it. And in the end, Jeff breaks his torch in half and calls him a quitter.

Now if the ratings go up by so much as one viewer, start searching for pre-existing conditions every year and haul in the Immunity Coffin.

If this is pre-series inspection neglect, then this wouldn't be the first time a CBS series forgot to run the full medical exam: BB sufferers will remember the Two Emergencies, No Waiting which any competent show would have been able to head off. But of course, we're talking about BB, so there went that part of the theory.

And -- we're assuming. He was twenty-five, so the first guess is that cardiac arrest at that age must have been from a preexisting condition. But we don't know. It's possible to hit the sternum in such a way as to essentially shut the body down: almost impossible, but there's cases on record. One bad slam into the water during the swim, a fall during the tug-of-war. Could that have set it off? The autopsy could tell the tale. This may not be the show's fault at all: one in a million freak accidents will still happen one time out of that million, and there will be someone they just happened to. Or it could be a condition so rare that the only way to pick it out is seven digits in medical tests -- or the autopsy. Not everything can be spotted by what we typically think of as a full battery.

If it was the States, someone would sue regardless. For France -- no idea. But there may be a very real case waiting to happen here, and if the production companies all end at the same desk, guess who might wind up paying for it?

Watch for The Bible: Some Books We Just Made Up. MB may need the money.

"Was It Cain or Able?"
Posted by foonermints on 03-25-13 at 09:16 PM
You are so Old Testament.
Cr@p! Does The Immunity Coffin save you? How does Jesus fit into this picture? Can we do a ressurection? Roll away the stone and the ratings will be OFF THE CHARTS!

Me love you long time.

"RE: Was It Cain or Able?"
Posted by Estee on 03-26-13 at 11:24 AM
You are so Old Testament.

You have no idea.

(Don't tell Newsome.)

"RE: Who Would Know?"
Posted by Snidget on 03-25-13 at 09:31 PM
Yep at 25 usually you are talking something was off, but like you said some of the "it was broken from birth" really shows up most effectively at autopsy. Usually if it isn't something weirdly physical there are drugs/substances involved. He's a bit young for the 27 club trope, but sometimes stopping something suddenly is as bad for you as to keep doing the substance.

Didn't hear much, so far, of the challenge that sounds like the baseball to the center of the chest at just the wrong pressure can stop anyone's heart, but there are any number of freak accidents and you can't prevent those just by having a camera turned on.

I just figured one of those strenuous things would kill off one of the cast to be weak, not one of the young, strong looking ones.

"At 25, Who Would Know?"
Posted by foonermints on 03-25-13 at 10:53 PM
Hell yah, God must have blessed me with good genetics, However my Alien Autopsy isn't going to help this poor bastaad, or me as a matter-of-fact. I feel for him.

Can't blame him for trying.
I was born to take the Highway

"RE: At 25, Who Would Know?"
Posted by kingfish on 03-26-13 at 09:09 AM
Joni in '65.

That was nice.

To the Shwack shack with you!

"May I respectfully suggest..."
Posted by IceCat on 03-26-13 at 11:00 AM

... that the Immunity Coffin be made of bamboo and that the pallbearers be kangaroos.

"RE: May I respectfully suggest..."
Posted by Snidget on 03-26-13 at 11:05 AM
Only if you can do it with a straight face and can keep your tongue completely out of your cheek.

Posted by Estee on 03-26-13 at 11:20 AM
I don't know... where are we going to find a corporate sponsor for the bamboo?

Posted by Snidget on 03-26-13 at 11:43 AM
http://www.calibamboo.com/

Posted by foonermints on 03-26-13 at 12:16 PM
I want mine with the Tiki bar topper thatch roof.

It's MY party!

Posted by dabo on 03-26-13 at 02:33 PM
Wipeout killed a guy in 2009. With a name like that it was inevitable, I suppose.

Actual cause of death was a stroke suffered later in the hospital, and was attributed to a rare medical condition that requires specialized blood tests.

Posted by Brownroach on 03-26-13 at 11:10 PM
EPMB would film the rest of the reason, and then cast Gerald as a Favorite in the next Fans vs. Favorites edition, only to have it turn out in Episode 1 that Gerald was the first casualty at Tribal Council, since he was in fact already dead and his tribemates couldn't find him anywhere.

Posted by cahaya on 03-27-13 at 00:17 AM
And when the fire of the torch goes out, there is no relighting it within the game.

"Doc commits suicide"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 04-01-13 at 10:54 PM
http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/international_shows/2013_Apr_01_koh-lanta-doctor-suicide

"RE: Doc commits suicide"
Posted by foonermints on 04-01-13 at 11:06 PM
The whole operation seems more wobbly than I imagined.

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 04-02-13 at 09:34 PM
I know this is a late reply, but I'm pretty sure someone else has died playing Survivor in the Philippines. Same area that they filmed the US seasons, in fact. They continued on with the entire season.

Posted by cahaya on 04-02-13 at 09:46 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-02-13 AT 09:47 PM (EST)

BBC reporting.

A contestant on the Bulgarian version of the reality TV show, Survivor, has died of a heart attack during filming at a beach resort in the Philippines.

A police report said two doctors on the set confirmed he had died instantly ...

Mr Vodenicharov was the mayor of Radnevo. The town, in the south of Bulgaria, has declared five days of mourning.

Three bodies and counting...

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 04-02-13 at 10:18 PM
There's also the case of the Dream Teamer who died, I believe, while the US version was filming S18, so that makes four. And counting.

Posted by dabo on 04-02-13 at 10:45 PM
Crewmember Alton Desiree.
http://chikaprincess.com/2008/09/alton-desiree-crew-of-survivor-died.html