URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38011
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Trademarking Jesus?"

Posted by kidflash212 on 02-26-13 at 11:07 PM
Apparently, an Italian company named Jesus Jeans holds the trademark on the name Jesus and will take any other company to court to stop them from using the name. Why didn't anyone tell me I slipped into Bizarro world?

http://now.msn.com/jesus-jeans-shuts-down-other-jesus-named-companies

You'd think a brand of jeans named for Jesus would be willing to turn the other cheek to competitors, but that's not the case. The Italian-made Jesus Jeans has trademarked the name "Jesus" in the United States (!) and is telling other Jesus-themed apparel brands "THOU SHALT NOT STEAL," shutting down more than a dozen fledgling brands like Jesus Surfed and Jesus Up. An attorney for the company says its actions are no different from Nike protecting its namesake Greek goddess: "If a small church or even a big church wants to use 'Jesus' for printing a few T-shirts, we don't care." But when other companies try to make money using Jesus' name, "That's a concern," he said.

Hope I can still use my idea for Mohammed Muffins and Shiva Shakes.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Trademarking Jesus?"
Posted by foonermints on 02-27-13 at 00:27 AM
I'm going with Hammurabi's Hash err.. Krishna Cookies.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
God forbid I start an extremist riot.

Posted by dabo on 02-27-13 at 01:57 AM
Jesus in Italian is Gesù. "Gesù bambino" is a popular Christmas carol. In Italy.
Just sayin'.

Posted by Brownroach on 03-04-13 at 00:36 AM
Which stole its chorus from Adeste Fidelis (O Come All Ye Faithful). Just sayin'.

Posted by Estee on 02-27-13 at 05:42 AM
On the one hand, I am vehemently against this and the actions they're taking to enforce it.

On the other, I'm writing down a long list of all the people I'd like to see them sue just for fun.

Honestly, I'd just like to know how they got this past the trademark office in the first place.

Posted by kidflash212 on 03-02-13 at 10:20 AM
Honestly, I'd just like to know how they got this past the trademark office in the first place.

Grumpy trademark office worker's last day before retirement?

Posted by kingfish on 03-02-13 at 12:32 PM
Grumpy Civil Service worker on last day before Sequester?

(OK, time line doesn't add up, but that's my answer, and by God™ I'm sticking with it.)

Posted by cahaya on 03-02-13 at 01:32 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-02-13 AT 08:03 PM (EST)

God™

WSJ: We Sell Jesus.

In a branding coup of biblical proportions, an Italian jeans maker persuaded the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in 2007 to register the word "Jesus" as a trademark, giving the company exclusive rights in America to sell clothing bearing the name of Christianity's central figure.

(eta)

Jeff Lamont is a California resident who owns a men's and women's collection of Christian-themed T-shirts called Jesus Up.

A part-time country singer, Mr. Lamont says he got the idea for Jesus Up a couple of years ago while recuperating from surgery. "I was in the backyard sitting on a boulder with staples in my belly, and I heard God tell me, 'Jesus Up,' " he said. "The name was so good and easy, like Coca-Cola. When I looked it up and it wasn't trademarked, I realized it was truly a gift from the Lord."

Jesus Jeans took a different view. It is demanding that Mr. Lamont scrap his plans to commercialize Jesus Up apparel and presented evidence at a patent trial, which the parties have agreed to suspend while they make another attempt at a settlement.

Said Mr. Lamont: "How anyone can claim the name Jesus for themselves and put a trademark on it is beyond me."

Posted by kingfish on 03-04-13 at 10:37 AM
The charge for using God™ is 50 cents. Invoiced at EOM.

Posted by foonermints on 03-04-13 at 01:18 PM
foonergod™ royalty is 75¢

Why, you may ask? Well, foonergod™ is your personal, rational entity you KNOW exists..

Posted by kingfish on 03-04-13 at 01:39 PM
Great racket, Eh™? (50 cents each occurance, or 24 cents for Canadians),

BTW, I also got Uh™. At 1 cent each occurance it is my main money maker.

Posted by foonermints on 03-04-13 at 02:00 PM
I'm grabbing Estee™ @1/2¢, retroactive.

I figure she can pay off my California state taxes.
Your foonergod hates reportable income.

Posted by kingfish on 03-04-13 at 05:18 PM
Ow, nice coup. Well, I'll grab the Snidget™.

Let's see, if I can get $100/ea, maybe I can get that Deusenberg.

And start that Cape Buffalo ranch.

Posted by cahaya on 03-04-13 at 06:58 PM
kingfish™ is up for ransom. I want a space rocket, better yet an all expenses paid trip to Mars being considered for an amourous couple.

cahaya™ smurfed by Icey

Posted by kingfish on 03-04-13 at 07:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-04-13 AT 07:12 PM (EST)

You only need to ask.

Reserved for Cahaya et.al.: a one way ticket to Mars.

Posted by cahaya on 03-04-13 at 07:34 PM
Round trip, dude, and we're good.

Surfkitten Summer sigshop 2008

Posted by kingfish on 03-04-13 at 09:41 PM
A ticket to Mars. No re-wishing.

And while you're gone, I will be caretaking the TM revenue.

I think you'll need a wormhole or something for the return, maybe the theory about if you go far enough in space you come out the other end will be be found to be valid. By then the several hundred trillion zillion years that will have passed at .0001% interest (less caretaking fees) will make you quite wealthy.

Posted by cahaya on 03-04-13 at 10:46 PM
A photon-speed vessel will suffice, relativistically getting from point A to point B in no time. Just hop from one Intergalactic Bank to the next. Bits, bits! Ching, ching!

We'll still settle for the 500-day round-trip Mars cruise.

Posted by kingfish on 03-05-13 at 09:52 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-05-13 AT 09:52 AM (EST)

OK. Two ways it is. With reruns of all seasons of "Celebrity Apprentice" and "Dancing with the Stars" to watch during both passages, sprinkled in with hours (IOW, eons) of Joan Rivers peddling her QVC merchandise-crap.

Also there is a monthly maintenance fee for the spaceship (it's the law, nothing I can do about it). And I should warn you that 5 months at sub-relativistic speeds is very optimistic.

However this will save you from returning to earth after your proposed instantaneous journey and finding that the other side of the relativity coin, the passage of infinite time here, means no earth.

Posted by cahaya on 03-05-13 at 02:00 PM
Done deal. We'll even share RTVW rights for the 500-day trip, blogs and all.

kingfish™ is officially ransomed into your domain, good sir.

Caged by Snidget

Mars!

"Hah!"
Posted by foonermints on 03-05-13 at 03:19 PM
Wait till you wake up "On Planet" and find out that DeadSmelly has sequestered you in the Mars Barn.

tiny little devil: rewarding evil with at least half a paycheck

"RE: Hah!"
Posted by kingfish on 03-07-13 at 09:32 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-07-13 AT 03:09 PM (EST)

I'd also like to point out that Martian air is not free. Nor for that matter is water. Blitchnoid, the local air and water vendor does not run a tab.

And I'd like to take a moment to complain about the recent increase in fees to ride the Crazytrain. Snot fair.