URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38007
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"2013 Academy Awards"

Posted by Estee on 02-24-13 at 01:53 PM
Seth McFarlane.

For four hours.

Without mercy.

Oh hell no.

*click*

I'll assume all statues are rigged to explode.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: 2013 Academy Awards"
Posted by kidflash212 on 02-24-13 at 02:02 PM
TAR is on. Seth is out of luck.

Posted by Molaholic on 02-24-13 at 02:58 PM

TAR is on. Seth is out of luck.

Yes. But here on the Left Coast we'll have time for both (well, most of Seth anywho).

Posted by dabo on 02-24-13 at 04:04 PM
You could hit the Monkathon on IONW.

"Yeeesh!"
Posted by moonbaby on 02-24-13 at 05:00 PM
No thanks. They should have pushed him aside and gotten Tina Fey and Amy Poehler!

"As long as"
Posted by IceCat on 02-24-13 at 06:40 PM

... Affleck's lie-fest doesn't win.

"RE: As long as"
Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 10:06 AM
Sorry Ice. Life is a crap pile of disappointments designed to see just how much one can take.

Posted by Estee on 02-25-13 at 12:54 PM
But was it as big a travesty as Crash?

I rented Argo today and will be watching it late tonight. Don't tell me where the lies were until tomorrow morning.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-25-13 at 03:03 PM
You'll probably be able to spot them on your own. I thought it was a very enjoyable, well-directed movie, even if some details are quite obviously Hollywoodized. It's certainly way better than "Crash".

Posted by Molaholic on 02-24-13 at 10:26 PM
It's time for

BOND

JAMES BOND

Starting the Golden Anniversary with the theme from GOLDFINGER

"Shirley Bassey?"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-24-13 at 10:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-24-13 AT 10:29 PM (EST)

Woh! She sounds great! The James Bond film montage was lame though. It should have been sequential so you could at least get a sense of each movie as they progressed.

"RE: Shirley Bassey?"
Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 10:07 AM
It was good. And the last note just blew the audience away.

She still can deliver (in her 70's?).

"Jaws Theme"
Posted by Snidget on 02-24-13 at 10:43 PM
Did they just threaten the Life of Pi guys (I'm running a bit behind on the DVR) with the Jaws Theme to get them to wrap up the speechifying?

"RE: Jaws Theme"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-24-13 at 10:49 PM
Yes, "Jaws" is the official get-off-before-you-are-forcibly-removed music.

"RE: Jaws Theme"
Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 10:12 AM
Their award was the visual effects award (? or something like that ?) that had just been the subject of the presenters joking that they never got the respect they deserved. And then they curtailed their thank-yous.

I thought it was a continuation of the joke.

"What is that thing"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-24-13 at 10:54 PM
on John Travolta's head? That's not human hair.

"RE: What is that thing"
Posted by Snidget on 02-24-13 at 11:29 PM
It is what is left of Punxsutawney Phil after the last bit winter blast?

"CZ Jones"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-24-13 at 10:57 PM
Lip-synching. Tsk.

"J Hudson"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-24-13 at 10:59 PM
Not lip-syncing. Woo-hoo!

"Adele"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-24-13 at 11:40 PM
Not lip-syncing. But her voice doesn't carry well in the venue. (And, the song is lousy anyway.)

"Tie?"
Posted by Snidget on 02-24-13 at 11:45 PM
How often does that happen?

"RE: Tie?"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-24-13 at 11:57 PM
Almost never. Sound editing. It was weird that Mark Wahlberg announced one winner at a time, but he must have been under instructions to do so.

"Barbra"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-25-13 at 00:07 AM
Not lip-syncing. Not in prime voice at 70+, but she acquitted herself quite well. Though I fail to see why Marvin Hamlisch deserved the last spot in the memorial.

"RE: Barbra"
Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 10:19 AM
But you know that by not drooling over her singing and adoring her to the max, you've made yourself enemies of Barbara fans who will never forget the slight.

She did ok, memories was a apropos song for the occasion. Not the Streisand of old, but who is. Even Bassey had lost some vocal strength. Until she hit the final note she had not really exhibited her original strength. Still, that last note was amazing.

Posted by Molaholic on 02-25-13 at 10:54 AM
Did they miss Andy Griffith on the Memorial?

Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 11:02 AM
I believe thay did.

All of North Carolina will be marching on Hollywood. And you do not want to have a mad Snidget coming after you. Bebo is an NC girl too, right? Another Trail of Tears is in the future.

Heaven help those poor Calif. souls.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-25-13 at 12:19 PM
They seem to often exclude actors who made a few films but had their major success on television.

Posted by Bebo on 03-02-13 at 01:07 PM
Bebo is an NC girl too, right?

Yes. Yes I am.

This just reinforces the belief of most North Carolinians and octogenarians that Andy Griffith was unappreciated for his acting.

After the wonderful Ron Howard tributes right after Andy died, I can live through this omission.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-25-13 at 00:31 AM
Quentin Tarantino gave a cool speech. I'm rescinding my "complete a-hole" opinion of him. For now anyway.

Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 10:24 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-13 AT 03:36 PM (EST)

I have a niece who was staying in New Orleans last spring, and she and a friend were hit on by Tarantino in one of the clubs there. He is a butt-ugly putzy kinda guy, and I have to say that isn't much to brag on. Interesting though.

Posted by byoffer on 02-25-13 at 00:36 AM
This short film, called Paperman, won an Oscar. 6 minutes very well worth the watch.

Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 10:35 AM
Exquisite. Up there with the Pixar's Desk Lamp short.

"The First Lady"
Posted by Brownroach on 02-25-13 at 01:00 AM
announces Best Picture?!! What will they do next year -- enlist the new Pope?

"RE: The First Lady"
Posted by Estee on 02-25-13 at 09:02 AM
If the best picture nominees are a look at the molestation coverups, a historical recreation of Stonewall, a Liberace biography, the life of Alan Turing, and a comedy about gay marriage, I will personally pay his airfare.

"Ooh. Just a hunch..."
Posted by Brownroach on 02-25-13 at 01:08 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-13 AT 01:22 AM (EST)

But I don't think Seth McFarlane will be invited back. Not a good resume item for Kristen Chenoweth either, re the finale number.

"RE: Ooh. Just a hunch..."
Posted by Molaholic on 02-25-13 at 10:57 AM
I would give Seth a score of 10.

(Of course, that's out of a possible 10,000)

STUNK.ON.HOT.ICE

Posted by Bebo on 03-02-13 at 01:09 PM
Seth's said all along he was one and done. Now we all see why that's a good idea.

Posted by cahaya on 03-02-13 at 02:01 PM
Wow, a Bebo post!

"The Onion"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-25-13 at 07:49 AM
Major faux pas and highly offensive.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/onion-calls-quvenzhane-wallis-c-424113

I get that it's a satire and all, but this was so over the top. Consider yourself now unfollowed, The Onion. Have the writer stand up and defend himself for what was said.

"RE: The Onion"
Posted by Estee on 02-25-13 at 09:34 AM
Hard to see how that one won't cost them something for the entire five minutes the media will bother to remember it.

Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 10:41 AM
Now I do want to see that movie, though. Not because of that, but because the trailers were intriguing.

I guess that’s the other side of free speech. But to a 9YO? There should some allowance for a constitutionally protected free punch in the nose for that.

Posted by Molaholic on 02-25-13 at 01:13 PM
That goes so far beyond anything remotely human the mind boggles. Are those folks completely insane?

The Hollywood lifestyle does have a history of shock -- but this is unimaginable.

Forget the sock in the nose. I say shut them down. Remember -- Free Speech isn't an absolute.

Posted by dabo on 02-25-13 at 12:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-13 AT 12:36 PM (EST)

Tuning in for the last hour or so, seems like I missed most of the good stuff. Barbara, "The Way We Were," she still has it though not as much as she had it in her prime.

Mostly what I got was Hollywood in indulgent self-congratulations, which is to be expected. All the nominees would have been worthy winners, year of the writer, blah blah blah.

Bond themes back on top, nice to see, they kind of went downhill after "For Your Eyes Only."

Daniel Day-Lewis, I'd say it was really a close one, but I'll give him the nod for Best Acceptance Speech. Must have been crushing losing the opportunity to play Maggie Thatcher.

Poor Jennifer Lawrence, once again the dress steals top billing.

Best Picture, Argo? Let's see, two literary classics, one done as a musical and one done with magnificent effects, an American victory story, an American historical drama, a romantic comedy, a Tarantino fiction adventure, the Hushpuppy story, a French film, and ... an American victory story that also happens to allow Hollywood to be indulgent and self-congratulatory claiming also a Hollywood victory story. Should have seen it coming.

Posted by AyaK on 02-26-13 at 07:22 PM
Bond themes back on top, nice to see, they kind of went downhill after "For Your Eyes Only."

I liked the last two John Barry themes, "A View to a Kill" (1985, Duran Duran) and "The Living Daylights" (1987, A-ha), but there wasn't another one I could stand until 2005's "You Know My Name".

"Inside the mind? of a voter."
Posted by Estee on 02-25-13 at 01:01 PM
I just picked up my Hollywood Reporter this morning and found that one ballot had been supervised by a member of their staff as an anonymous Academy caster filled it out. It was -- less than inspiring. 'Depressing' is optional, but completely understandable.

Here's the online version of the article.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-voters-brutally-honest-ballot-422546

Read it and weep.

"RE: Inside the mind? of a voter statician."
Posted by cahaya on 02-25-13 at 11:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-13 AT 00:32 AM (EST)

Nate of electoral college prediction fame gets 4 out of 6 top trophies, a close fifth, off on the sixth, still better than the bookies on straight bets.

No vote count data.

Posted by AyaK on 02-26-13 at 07:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-13 AT 07:41 PM (EST)

I beat Nate in that I had the Ang Lee pick as well. Foolishly, I let myself get talked out of Christoph Waltz, my original choice, and I decided not to change back after he won the BAFTA -- though I should have known that a snoozefest like Tommy Lee Jones' performance in Lincoln wouldn't hold up in a competitive race. Hiss.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-26-13 at 11:53 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-27-13 AT 00:01 AM (EST)

Christoph Waltz's win should have been foreseen because it provides two of those Oscar trivia coincidences that are unrelated to the merit of the award --

1) Now four consecutive Best Supporting Actor winners have had first names starting with "Chris": Christoph Waltz, Christopher Plummer the previous year, Christian Bale the year before that, and, yes, Christoph Waltz to start off the chain. (For a parallel, consider the four consecutive Best Supporting Actress winners from 1978 through 1981: Maggie Smith, Meryl Streep, Mary Steenburgen, and Maureen Stapleton -- notice anything?)

2) Also, Sally Field's largely expected Best Supporting Actress loss excommunicated her from the elite group of six actors who were nominated multiple times and won every time they were nominated (twice in each case). But now someone has replaced her in that elite group...Christoph Waltz. Had anyone else nominated in his category won, the balance would not have been maintained.

Posted by cahaya on 03-16-13 at 05:41 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-16-13 AT 06:29 AM (EST)

This one's for you, AyaK, in our mutual interest in the capability to make predictions based on fact and history. It's a quantitative science, so it lends itself to statistically-based models and data mining across multiple disciplines (baseball, cards, elections, economics, earthquakes, epidemics, population growth, global warming, etc.).

You might find this conversation from Edge.org interesting.

I'm in the midst of reading Silver's latest book, The Signal and the Noise: Why Most Predictions Fail – But Some Don't and I highly recommend it.

"Jennifer Lawrence post awards..."
Posted by byoffer on 02-25-13 at 10:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-13 AT 10:11 PM (EST)

This makes me love Jennifer Lawrence even more.

Posted by byoffer on 02-26-13 at 09:49 AM
This song (is that Scarlett J singing??) really caught my ear during the brief playing it got during the show. The video they showed for the movie (Chasing Ice) looks spectacular.

Anyone see that movie?

Posted by kingfish on 02-26-13 at 11:03 AM
Not me, and I now have a yen to see it too. S.J. does a nice job.

The Norah Jones song was bad. The song was insipid, and the orchestra dominated her vocals. Maybe it was the sound board engineering that was at fault. The song improved a little when she took the mike in her hand, but it still left me flat.

Too bad. I thought we were in for a treat with her spot.

Posted by dabo on 02-27-13 at 02:02 AM
It seems it is Scarlett, and she has a wonderful voice. And what a haunting and mesmerizing song.

http://www.lyrics.com/before-my-time-lyrics-j-ralph.html