URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 38000
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What is the record for bond before trial?"

Posted by Snidget on 02-19-13 at 07:01 PM
I dunno if I've heard of one as high as the Eight Million Dollars Dude just got in Durham, NC.

He shot a state trooper, and the trooper isn't even dead.

But he does have a rather long history of badness.

http://www.wral.com/vermont-man-charged-in-state-trooper-s-shooting/12124713/

Felony absconder must be really bad.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What is the record for bond before trial?"
Posted by kingfish on 02-19-13 at 07:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-19-13 AT 07:58 PM (EST)

Pshaw. He only needs to come up with 10% for a bail bondsman. Only $800K or so.

I hope NC still has the death penalty, although I don't know if just wounding a State trooper would make him eligible for the death penalty. Any slight chance that that maniac might ever be free again would be too much to risk, IMO, but a life without parole would be a good second choice.

Posted by Snidget on 02-19-13 at 10:51 PM
I dunno if the fleeing to Mexico thing might be of a concern to the bail bondsman, do they have different rates for different people?

Posted by cahaya on 02-19-13 at 11:13 PM
If he's that dumb, he won't survive a week in Mexico after getting into a fight within a cartel territory cantina.

Posted by kingfish on 02-19-13 at 11:22 PM
Yeah, that might be a problem.

Posted by Molaholic on 02-20-13 at 01:40 AM
Got to ask the obvious -- why is bail even on option?

Posted by cahaya on 02-20-13 at 02:03 AM
Standard line (and law): Presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Posted by dabo on 02-20-13 at 02:49 AM
Judiciary Act of 1789
see also

This specified which types of crimes were bailable and set bounds on a judge's discretion in setting bail. The Act states that all non-capital crimes are bailable and that in capital cases the decision to detain a suspect, prior to trial, was to be left to the judge.

The Judiciary Act states, "Upon all arrests in criminal cases, bail shall be admitted, except where punishment may be by death, in which cases it shall not be admitted but by the supreme or a circuit court, or by a justice of the supreme court, or a judge of a district court, who shall exercise their discretion therein."

Posted by jbug on 02-20-13 at 11:09 AM
We had a local case where a young man & his wife were arrested and charged with statutory rape (15 yr old girl; drinking at home w/ her).

Anyway, his attorney thought the bond would be about $10,000 and at 10%, bail would be manageable.

The bond was $300,000 - each. Neither had resources for $30,000 so they stayed in jail.

We've all wondered why the bond in this case was so high.
They weren't flight risks; neither had ever been in ay trouble before. (not that it changes what they did, but the minor is very promiscuous and is involved in a previous rape case as well)

Crusin w/ Tribe