URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID114
Thread Number: 38
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Kid Nation Season Finale East Coast Spoiler Thread"

Posted by Snidget on 12-12-07 at 08:02 PM
Please keep all discussion of tonight's season finale with any and all special awards, scenes of destruction, and whatever other drama they can pack into an hour on this thread until after the West Coast has a chance to see it for themselves.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Kid Nation Season Finale East Coast Spoiler Thread"
Posted by Snidget on 12-12-07 at 08:17 PM
Season Recap, focusing on the council leaders.
Other kids were leaders that emerged and weren't elected.
Kids who never stopped working.
Kids who never stopped thinking.
12 gold star winners
There was fighting and tears, but always growth.

40 kids came together. Along the way became like family. Only 3 day remains.

Only 1 $20K gold star.

Are they ready for a few incredible surprises.

Day 38.

Mike can't sleep.

Comes around the corner and the job board is burning. Watches it for a minute than goes gets people up that the job board is on fire.

They get buckets of water and try to put it out. Jared has a tin cup with water. They decide it is too late and they have to just let it burn.

"Use your brain, the job board is not the freaking town"

Cue Credits.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 12-12-07 at 08:19 PM
I'm such a sap. I'm already getting emotional about the end.

"But I am sure that I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round...as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely."--Charles Dickens

Posted by Snidget on 12-12-07 at 08:29 PM
There, there.

I'm going to miss it as well.

Posted by joeyshox on 12-12-07 at 08:19 PM
If the freakin ratings were better for this show I guarantee CBS would have made it two hours! But let's face it, from a ratings standpoint, it's been a flop!

And while parts have been interesting...i.e. Taylor's winning of the gold star tonight, there have been many, many "go to the kitchen to grab a Lime-Lime Vitamin Water *without* pressing rewind on the DVR!!" moments to count!

Posted by sharnina on 12-13-07 at 04:55 PM
Taylor won a gold star? I must have missed that part.

Posted by Snidget on 12-12-07 at 08:28 PM
Pioneers Gather Up!

The fire was no accident and things are about to change a lot. That board and the journal help build the city. Not anymore.

They want host to burn the journal, he throws it on the coals. Anjay says it got them into trouble but helped them survive.

No more nickels and no more job classes. You can do whatever you want or keep doing what you are doing. Good luck pioneers.

We can prove to adults we can do it, or we svck.

And they are raiding the store to get all the candy. They've decided there is no rules so it's lootin' time! We need to be kids for once.

DK says this is stupid and dumb to be looting. Zach says it is crazy, and stealing is wrong. There is no order and society breaks down. The Dry Good Store is trashed. Zack is sickened and starts cleaning up what mess remains.

Dinner time.

The council leaders say we need to clean up the town and right some of the wrongs. If we all pull together we can make it work.

Guylan says they feel bad after the town riot, but maybe they needed to learn the hard way. Laurel hopes tomarrow is better.

Next morning, the rabbit runs away. The town is a mess and people start cleaning up. Even the lazy see they need to work to keep things nice.

No Showdown, but there is a reward. The last 20K gold star. Council will award it RIGHT NOW! May seem early, but there are bigger surprises and decisions later. Sends the council to take a walk and figure out the last winner.

What do the kids think? Guylan says Mike deserves it. Laurel says Sophia needs another gold star. She says she has hers.

DK doesn't want to do it. Greg says it needs to go to who represents Bonanza city.

Posted by Snidget on 12-12-07 at 08:38 PM
DK says this is one of the hardest decisions they've had to make.

Council comes back, who is the last 20K star pioneer. They worked hard and are a real leader and a leader since day one.

Zach.

You can't possibly be speechless, but he pretty much is. He's never won anything this big. They say he's been committed to making it work. Greg says he has a lot of potential.

Big surprises still ahead and sends them back to town.

LAst day. They are putting the favorite chickens in the dorm room. Emily wants to go live in the yellow bunk for the night, and they tell her they just want to have the last night for themselves and she says she can't trust them.

Big scene now in the street everyone talking at once.

Miglay (sp?) tries to get things settled down. They say she can hang out tomorrow they just want their girls night. She gets things all settled back down.

LAST DAY.

Pioneer's Gather up. A Big Day!

There may still be gold in their future. Bigger stars. Has Alex lift one. They are 50K. There are three of these stars. Any of you can take one of these home.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 12-12-07 at 08:41 PM
Interesting. It sounds like the last stars won't necessarily come from the council.

"But I am sure that I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round...as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely."--Charles Dickens

Posted by dabo on 12-13-07 at 01:58 AM
Migle. Also called Meg. Lithuanian child model who aspires to grow up and be the next Angelina Jolie.

I'm glad it's over, all those poor kids having to go through "hardest" this'n'that's all the time just got trite after awhile.

Posted by Snidget on 12-12-07 at 08:54 PM
They will be given away at the final meeting.

They have to earn them first. They throw a huge party and test their skills and decisions. 1 hour to cook, decorate and clean the town. There are signs all over town saying what they need to do. Finish all three things they will win the stars. The council will award to three pioneers.

Two for leaders and hard workers, one to someone else.

It is the first annual Bonanza City Bonanza.

They are making pasta and sauce for dinner. They have dough and spaghetti maker. They have tomatoes they are squishing.

They got the pasta done, but they need to fill a jar with hot sauce. They use the microwave to heat the sauce.

Only 40 minutes left.

They have to build picnic tables.

30 minutes left It annoys Mike that Greg's done it before an knows what he is doing.

15 minutes left.

Dealing with the trash so they are cleaning that up.

8 minutes left as they finish getting the trash in the landfill.
They have to bury all of it. The whole town working together on this.

2 minutes. Everyone has to be back in town.

DK's legs gave out. Greg and Blane carry him back.

They ring the bell. But are they done?

YES! They get the reward.

What will make the party even more special? Special guests.
*sniff*

Family comes over the hill toward the town. Lots of sobbing and hugging.

Alex has had enough hugging. Zach says it ended up being a test for them, not for Zach. So then they start showing parents around town.

Jared makes he Dad chug a soda with syrup bomb.

Lunch time.

Everyone's attention. Hate to interrupt the party, but business to get done. Get your packs and head to town hall with your parents.

3 gold stars to give away.

DK really nervous about the decision. The decision effects so many people.

Posted by Snidget on 12-12-07 at 09:06 PM
Pioneers and parents time for the town hall meeting.

Who has embodied the spirit, take a walk and talk it out.

3 people who represent Bonanza city in the best way.

Sophia apologizes for anyone she might boss around. Miglay talking. Anjay up for discussion. Mike is. Morgan also up. Laurel is also deserving. She says she has made friendships that will last a lifetime. Who is Markel? also getting some discussion.

They wish they had 36 to give out.

1st pioneer. Michael stands up and says this was obvious from the start and it is

Sophia.

It has been the best of times and the worst, really incredible.

She is glad people her own age notice what she does.

2nd pioneer. announced by Greg. Has been a friend and a great person.

Morgan.

She says she doesn't deserve it at all. She says she hasn't worked hard. Greg says she brought people together when there were difference. Dad thanks them for honoring her, and Greg thanks him for letting her come. Dad is shocked Greg is 15. Says he doesn't have conversations that good with adults.

Two down, one to go.

DK announces. Worked hard and constantly improving.

Miglay.

She is too shocked to stand up at first. She can't believe it. You don't know how much this means to me. Michael says she contributes a lot of kindness to the town.

She is so glad her parents were there to hear her name being called.

Mikes Mom wants to say how proud they are for all of them and thank you for the hope for the future.

It is time to go outside, grab your bags, and say good bye to each other for the last time.

Keep building a better world.

Mike says in confession they probably won't see each other gain.

Kids can do things if they try.

Several they are more than just kids discussion.

Kid Nation montage.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 12-12-07 at 09:35 PM
I'm so disappointed that Mike never got recognized for his leadership and hard work. I can't help thinking that Greg was holding a grudge from the early days and kept the star from him. The last stars should have been voted on by the whole town IMO. I think that would have been more fair.

"Agree"
Posted by dabo on 12-13-07 at 02:06 AM
Having all the kids vote on who won the final three stars would have been better. Give each kid three buffalo nickels, go behind the curtain with hostguy back there watching so there's no cheating, each kid casts three votes by dropping nickels in buckets with the only rule that they must vote for three different kids.

"RE: Agree"
Posted by batts on 12-13-07 at 04:54 AM
Exactly. I think everybody should have had a say in who the gold stars went to.

I was kindof hoping that little troublemaker, Jared, would have gotten a gold star. Don't ask me for what... I don't know. He was just ... entertaining.

"RE: Agree"
Posted by Agman2 on 01-15-16 at 05:18 PM
I should have gotten the gold star. stoopid kids always get everything.

Posted by PhoenixMons on 12-13-07 at 10:07 AM
Well, based on what I've seen, I was not disappointed that MIke was never given a gold star. He instigated most of the drama with Greg early on (from what we were shown anyway) and I thought he was pretty holier-than-thou throughout. The only time I was impressed with Mike was when he went to talk to Nathan (or whomever the kid was who joined the blue district...I don't recall names of the kids who weren't major characters) after they all shunned him. But, most of the time, it seemed Mike had a big chip on his shoulder.

I agree, though, that ALL of the kids should have had a say and had an opportunity to win the big gld stars...kind of unfair to the council to not have a chance and unfair to the rest of the kids for not having input in the decision. But, I think the council did a great job choosing the gold star winners (save Migle, since we didn't see much of her and it's hard to say from a viewer's standpoint whether or not she was more deserving than others like Laurel or Hunter).

I think the council chose Sophia and Morgan because they didn't want to award a bigger star to people who hadn't yet proven themselves. I know I'd have not wanted to award someone a 50K star if they hadn't been seen as deserving of a 20K star already, KWIM?

I really enjoyed this show! What a bunch of intelligent and hard-working kids (for hte most part) with a little bit of drama thrown in the mix for "good TV".

Posted by MandyM on 12-12-07 at 09:15 PM
Thank you so much for doing this Snidge! It isn't being shown here due to college basketball (ugh) and I was dying to know what happened! THANK YOU!!!!

Posted by Puffy on 12-12-07 at 09:37 PM
*sob*

Posted by PagongRatEater on 12-12-07 at 09:55 PM
Me too.

Hold me?

Posted by MaryKat on 12-12-07 at 10:29 PM
I just don't cry at tv shows, but I sobbed through most of this one. It would really be nice to know where these kids are in the future. Zach, Michael, and Sophia are all special.

Posted by batts on 12-13-07 at 05:55 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-13-07 AT 06:53 AM (EST)

It
>would really be nice to
>know where these kids are
>in the future. Zach,
>Michael, and Sophia are all
>special.

Sophia will have a 'dancing career'.

Jared will be a 'Pimp Daddy'.

Divad will have a fruit stand stocked with fruit she stole from farmers fields.

Taylor will the the President of the United States with a Deal With It attitude.

Greg, we will see him on an episode of 'Cops' in just a few years, in the wee hours of the morning, handcuffed, and sitting on a curb.

"Some final thoughts"
Posted by Molaholic on 12-13-07 at 02:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-13-07 AT 02:17 PM (EST)

I started watching KN with some of the same trepidation expressed by many others, but for some reason, the show kind of grew on me. (Sophia, Zach, Jared, Alex, Migle, et al were just marvelous!)

However, I still have some things rattleing around my brainpan...

The idea of the Town Council awarding the Gold Stars with the full knowledge that they're worth $20K. Way too much pressure to put on these kids. They could still have made the choices, but don't reveal the money factor until the finale.

Way too much stuff was obviously staged by the producers. Some conflicts were inevitiable, to be sure, but setting up confrontations just to have confrontations is just wrong. I was also very concerned with the way the 'saloon' was set up, mimiking an adult establishment (complete with 'doing shots' and 'swilling rootbeer') only serves to teach that substance abuse solves problems or is acceptible behavior.

Come on now, "let's bring the chickens in to sleep with us!"?

Howcome so much was made over the rewards -- but then we never saw anything of them the following weeks? (with the singular exception of the port-a-potties... we saw them get blown over) Did the kids use the religous library? What about the laundry?

Most distrubing from the finale was the post-fire riot/looting. Really -- from what we saw throughout the show's run, these kids all had common sense and a genuine ethic that wouldn't have them set off on instant mayhem. Stuffing their faces to the bursting point, needlessly dumping candy on the floor, grabbing the buffalo nickles from the register... not my idea of entertainment.

My last point -- as others have said -- those final Mega Stars should have been voted on by the whole town -- with the reveal of the $50K value after the election.

Sharnina’s Gift

"RE: Some final thoughts"
Posted by CTgirl on 12-13-07 at 03:38 PM
That was a great analysis, Moley. The show grew on me too, and I looked forward to it each week (Jared and Sophia were my favorites and I was always interested to see which side of Greg would come out).

As much as I liked the show, I agree that too much was staged, and that is what would keep me from embracing a second season. (Although if it's on again and the strike is still on, I'd probably tune in.) I found the dynamics interesting between the kids, but it didn't have me hanging on the edge of my seat like some reality shows do.

I was very disturbed to see the kids looting. I wonder who started it - that was pack mentality in action. Or did the producers "suggest" it so they could "clean up" after, proving that they'd learned something. The final reward was good: no teams, they all worked together. The host mentioned something about the rewards for the cooking and building tasks - the microwave helped them out and the book that would tell them how to build a picnic table was in the library they didn't get. It would've been fun to see more challenges with that mindset.

The finale was kind of anti-climatic. Too much sentiment and too much emphasis placed on the four gold stars, although I'll admit that the 'end of camp' sentimentality pulled at my heart.

Posted by Gettin_Dirty on 12-14-07 at 12:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-14-07 AT 12:56 PM (EST)

I am a LONG-time stalker of the boards (since Survivor 2!) and finally joined.

I finally watched the finale last night and when the parents/kids were in the town council meeting, Laurel stood up to give a mini speech, did I see that she had a broken leg or foot? I was wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Did anyone else notice her right leg was in one of those boots they use now for broken legs? When did this happen? I don't ever remember hearing or seeing it happen.

I loved this show, and simply loved Jared. He is a weird kid, but funny!

I was sorry to see Laurel didn't get the mega star and felt she deserved one.

Posted by byoffer on 12-14-07 at 01:58 PM
Hey Gettin_Dirty.

You stalk since Survivor 2 and finally break your silence?? Way to be Gettin_Postin!

I didn't see the cast. I will try to watch again over the weekend when my kids will get a chance to watch.

I agree that some other kids could have been rewarded. I liked that Sophia got the $50K star, but would have liked to see her $20K star passed along to someone like Mike who I thought had his heart in the town.

Jared was fun, but I don't think his actual contribution to the town was as great as many others. Just MHO.

I hope you don't wait a few years to post again.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 12-14-07 at 09:53 PM
Well, first things first, welcome to the boards!

I didn't notice anything with Laurel's leg, but I'm glad you agree with me on the Mega-star. I thought that she was the heart and soul of the town. How could they think that Migle was more deserving than Laurel? Granted we didn't see much of Migle, but I'd have to think that would indicate something as well.

Loved the show too. Will definitely be in for season 2.

Posted by byoffer on 12-14-07 at 11:22 PM
I went back and looked. You are correct. In fact, Laurel must have had quite a crash as in addition to the air-cast on her leg (could be a sprained ankle) she also had some bandaging on her one hand (visible when she was hugging her parents).

I certainly thought that some of the initial town council deserved stars. Laurel and Mike worked very hard. Anjay certainly tried. In my book, only Taylor was not close to getting a star.

Posted by Agman2 on 01-15-16 at 05:16 PM
Gettin Dirty, If you just posted how come you don't have any daw points? This has bothered me for years!