URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37981
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Do you miss doomsday?"

Posted by moonbaby on 02-06-13 at 09:34 PM
Screw the Mayan Apocalypse/Acropolis Google solar flare. I was joking about this today, blaming a lot of strange happenings on the latest flare. But we're due for worse, it would seem, from articles I've found out there in web land. Peak activity is expected this year. I read that a big enough flare could put the whammy on the grid. We've seen the ugly that almost a week without power can bring, and some of these articles mention YEARS if major transformers fry. LIPA could never come back from something like that

Talk me out of being concerned. I'm thisclose to shopping for a crank up radio, a solar generator and a fire starter. And please pass the foil-apparently it's time for a new hat. The shiny must have been zapped away off the old one.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Do you miss doomsday?"
Posted by kingfish on 02-06-13 at 10:09 PM
Don't Worry! Be Happy.

And get a Glock.

Posted by tribephyl on 02-06-13 at 10:21 PM
I read that a big enough flare could put the whammy on the grid.

And you read this where? The internet?

What I can tell you is that there is no "The Grid".
Here in NoAm, there's actually 2 major grids and 3 minor grids.
The majors: Western and Eastern (Which also encompass BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba)
The minors: Quebec, Alaska and Texas.
So, and not that it can't happen, the entire continent won't go dark because an ACInterconnection goes dark. Unlikely that all 5 would suffer the same fate for the same amount of time, as well.

While this doesn't diminish the unpreventable and unpredictable series of events that follow when a "disaster" befalls the masses of half a country (and a third of another).
There may be the option of just "relocating" for a spell, until your side of the country gets power going again.
Or you could move to Texas, where even if they get hit with "The Biggie", their output is already much higher than the rest of the country and would probably notice a moment of rolling brownouts, but unlikely to trigger a full scale grid meltdown.

Not to diminish the power of solar flares either.
I mean, after all, a sun is eating it's planets somewhere in the universe. I just don't think it's us....yet.

Posted by agman on 02-07-13 at 01:59 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-07-13 AT 02:10 PM (EST)

And you read this where? The
internet?

And you know they don't put anything that isn't true on the internet!

I'm really a French model!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-06-13 at 10:50 PM
Did Harold Camping put you up to this?

Ditto what tribe said, the grids tend to work independently of each other, so while you might have one grid going down for days (i.e. the 2003 blackout affecting the Ohio-NY-Ontario-Quebec region), the others would still be up and running.

It'd take something extremely extreme (i.e. a terrorist activity) to knock them all out, I'd think. Even so, I would imagine that the U.S. government would have a contingency plan if something like that does happen, so that we'd never be more than, let's say, 72 hours without.

Worst comes to worst? We can all play our own versions of 'Survivor' to pass the time until things get back to normal.

*shrugs* My philosophy has always been to not worry about things that are beyond my control - why worry about something that probably isn't going to happen? If something does happen, then we'll deal with it when it comes. That is what keeps me sane in this goofy world of ours.

Posted by foonermints on 02-06-13 at 11:28 PM
I used to date a girl called "Mayan Apocalypse".

Yep. I did.

forbidden frozen fudgikle

Posted by dabo on 02-07-13 at 01:12 AM
Shucks! The slowly-unfolding explosion also hurled two CMEs into space. The clouds ... could deliver glancing blows to our planet's magnetic field on Feb. 9-10. They mess up the satellites we won't be able to watch the indecent exposure.

"Ya see?"
Posted by moonbaby on 02-07-13 at 01:18 PM
That's what I'm talking about!

We have other fish to fry today-Earth weather! Time for a milk/ bread/toilet paper expedition!

"fish to fry?"
Posted by kingfish on 02-07-13 at 01:39 PM
Ahem. No need to get nasty here.

"RE: fish to fry?"
Posted by agman on 02-07-13 at 02:04 PM
At least she's not including fish oil, fishnet stalkings and fishsticks on her list!

Posted by kingfish on 02-07-13 at 04:12 PM
I will stalk a fishnet given the chance.

Posted by cahaya on 02-07-13 at 11:48 PM
And I stock them. Hah!

Posted by agman on 02-08-13 at 02:12 PM
Are you trying to lure everyone into a punny conversation?

sorry I was just bobbing around the thread and noticed your comment. HA

Posted by cahaya on 02-08-13 at 07:07 PM
I was just tossing out a catchy line with a sinker...

You nibbled!

Posted by Estee on 02-07-13 at 02:13 PM
*looks at radar*

Apparently if you live in the New England states, doomsday is about twenty hours off.

And LIPA can't come back from a stuck switch.

"Winter Storm #Nemo"
Posted by cahaya on 02-07-13 at 10:27 PM

"Winter Storm #Nemo"
Posted by kidflash212 on 02-08-13 at 07:09 AM

"RE: Winter Storm #Nemo"
Posted by Estee on 02-08-13 at 08:06 AM
"So who's pummeling us this time?"

"No one."

Local forecast -- is split in two. One service claims four to eight, while another favors nine to fourteen. Either way, it's the wind speed which makes the blizzard, and that'll kick in late tonight.

I will find a way to blame this on Jeff Probst before morning.

Posted by kingfish on 02-08-13 at 10:03 AM
Light misting rain, clearing for the weekend. So, rather than go for the schadenfreude effect, I will gallantly offer to put up any of my about-to-be besieged northern friends for a week. I have a spare bedroom, and the local Alabama stores have plenty of food and drink. And there’s the possum petting zoo for entertainment.

I understand that there’s a picture of Estee posted wherever roads cross into the south, so she might have to endure the blizzard. Although, who knows, maybe the guards aren’t too alert nowadays.

After a week, you pay.

And I urge my other Southern friends as well as West coasters to do the same. BBQ, anyone? Cajun cuisine? Barrels of beer?

Posted by cahaya on 02-09-13 at 02:04 AM
Either way, it's the wind speed which makes the blizzard, and that'll kick in late tonight.

Boston wind and already more than half a million in 8 states without power.

Strong winds made this storm especially biting. By Friday night, the National Weather Service reported wind gusts around 70 mph along the Massachusetts coast and through greater Boston, including a 74-mph gust in Buzzards Bay on Cape Cod.

"Snow Day"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-08-13 at 07:50 AM
Yeaaaah baby, schools closed today. We don't get too many snow days here, even when there's a foot of snow on the ground.

#party!

"RE: Snow Day"
Posted by Estee on 02-08-13 at 07:23 PM
Currently getting rain, snow, and sleet -- just about all at once. Mostly that means stepping in a lot of slush. My feet are going to be camped out in front of a heater for a few hours. I'm sure they'll let me know when they're done.

So far, the fun part was listening to Michael 'I will find a way to fine you for this' Bloomberg scream at the weather forecasters for exaggerating the storm -- during the time they had specifically said we would be getting rain. (The heavy stuff isn't supposed to arrive for another three hours.) That's right: either the weather operates on his schedule or someone pays. It won't be him.

Ironically, he can't get the trains to run on time.

"Too much hype?"
Posted by cahaya on 02-08-13 at 10:10 PM
Not so, say the weather experts, who also predicted Sandy with reasonable accuracy.

It's not a perfect science when in fact it can't possibly be.

There are times that it's not nice to try to fool Mother Nature.

"RE: Too much hype?"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-08-13 at 10:29 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-08-13 AT 11:14 PM (EST)

Certainly not too much hype up here in my neck of the woods. Trucks stranded, a salting truck unable to get up a hill resulting in traffic blockage, 300 accidents on Highway 401, and cars still stuck on the highway in some areas unable to move.

It's a foot and half of fresh snow outside and goes up to my knee in some areas out on the driveway. I've been out there three times shoveling - and I've only done the sidewalks, the path in front of the house and the boulevard part of the driveway; still haven't even made a dent in the actual driveway yet. The plows will eventually come at some point overnight or in the morning to dump even more snow onto the boulevard. The two cars ain't going out for another 18 hours minimum, folks.

My goal is to have the driveway and boulevard fully dug out by tomorrow afternoon in order for our daughter to be able to drive to work. Such lofty goals, I know.

ETA: Just saw a report of an ambulance being stuck in the snow for a period of time and it took a whole bunch of people digging and pushing to finally get it out of the neighbourhood and on to the hospital to save a 21-month-old liver transplant patient.

Posted by cahaya on 02-09-13 at 00:10 AM
Yup, this Nemo is huge!

Wishing everyone within the storm well and keep us posted when you're able to. Some of you folks are gonna get majorly snowed in.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-09-13 at 00:40 AM
Snow has stopped in the past hour and we did some more shoveling on our daughter's half of the driveway as her work schedule was moved up to tomorrow morning.

I cleaned off my car when I was out shoveling for the third time at about 4 pm, and this is what it looked like just now. Imagine if I didn't clean it off the first time...

"It gets worse..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-09-13 at 11:02 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-09-13 AT 11:02 AM (EST)

We've got 7C (44F) and rain projected for Monday. Prepare for flooding and a huge mess as it will all turn to slush right around the time for the morning rush hour to work. Either that or it'll be one giant skating rink on the highways.

"RE: It gets worse..."
Posted by Estee on 02-09-13 at 11:49 AM
I wound up with about ten inches of fresh fall: annoying, but manageable. We're due to get into the low 40s early in the week, so some of it will melt off -- but not before tonight plummets close to 0 and reinforces all local ice walls. Our skating rink will open for rush hour tomorrow, and anyone on the way to church had better start praying early.

Waiting for AyaK to check in.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-09-13 at 11:52 AM
And CTgirl too...

Reports say that the Boston area got up to 38 inches. Yikes! Hope they're all okay over there.

Posted by moonbaby on 02-09-13 at 01:27 PM
Thirteen inches fell here and the drifts are well above that. Feeling lucky it was only thirteen and that the power is still on. Clean up was a huge job-good luck to you all!