URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37978
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"So, are you a Tudorian, or a Ricordian?"

Posted by kingfish on 02-05-13 at 01:54 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-05-13 AT 01:57 PM (EST)

Make that "Ricardian".

In England, it's the equivalent of Dems vs. Repubs. Me, I'm just happy to learn a little English history. And I don't mind that I'm 500+ years out of date.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/04/opinion/jones-richard-third/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Free Sigpics at the "Be the Surivor" thread in Survivor Bashers. Sign up now!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: So, are you a Tudorian, or a Ricordian?"
Posted by cahaya on 02-05-13 at 01:59 PM
What a coincidence!

Posted by kingfish on 02-05-13 at 03:46 PM
Spoken like a true Windsorian.

Free Sigpics by TribePhil at the "Be the Surivor" thread in Survivor Bashers. Sign up now!

Posted by cahaya on 02-05-13 at 05:25 PM
As long as I hold the naval offices along with the Constable of the Tower, I will rule!

"Not a Ricardian"
Posted by AyaK on 02-05-13 at 04:32 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-06-13 AT 07:22 PM (EST)

One of the interesting questions raised by this debate is this: how much could the Tudors possibly blacken the name of a usurper who committed regicide and nepoticide (twice), while claiming that his nieces and nephews were bastards (which, to be sure, may not have stopped him from marrying one of his nieces had he survived)? And that doesn't even count the disruption renewed by his usurption, which destroyed a 12-year peace that his brother had put in place after finally triumphing over Warwick and Margaret of Anjou (and committing his own regicide by murdering their puppet king Henry VI).

All because Warwick wanted one of his daughters (Isabel or Anne Neville) to be queen; Anne got there by the usurption but within two years (1) her son died at 10, then (2) she died of TB. Would that have looked to superstitious Englishmen of the time as if Richard III's actions had caused him to fall from grace with God? Heck, it even looks like that to me, and I don't believe in God.

Until the skeleton was found, it was believed in some circles that the Tudors had slandered Richard III by portraying him as a hunchback. However, although he wasn't a hunchback, the skeleton clearly shows that Richard III had scoliosis (an abnormal curvature of the spine), which would have made him look like a hunchback.

In short, the most important finding of this discovery is that the Tudors probably DIDN'T slander this guy, nor did they throw his bones in the river. He was right where the Tudors put him.

Posted by Starshine on 02-05-13 at 06:25 PM
When I was about 14 and staying in an hotel on our way to a holiday cottage I apparently sat up in bed and said "God save King Richard" and then went back to normal sleep.

Richard 1 was also king if a lot of France and didn't rate England that highly and Richard 2 wasn't ideal either, no wonder we haven't had one for a while

Posted by kingfish on 02-06-13 at 10:11 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-06-13 AT 10:11 AM (EST)

So, you're saying that Richards 1 thru 3 are Dicks?

Posted by Molaholic on 02-06-13 at 11:28 AM
Of course, here in 'Merica we've got our own King Richard.

Funny I should think of this, since I've never been any kind of race fan. (Except on the last Sunday of May -- weird, ain't it.)