URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37974
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Fire Applebee's"

Posted by AyaK on 02-01-13 at 02:13 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-01-13 AT 02:14 AM (EST)

Applebee's fired the waitress who posted the "no tip" note from the rude, psychotic pastor. Apparently Applebee's likes customers who are rude, psychotic and cheap.

Right now, I can't think of anything that would motivate me to eat at Applebee's unless they started paying me for eating there.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-waitress-fired-pastor-receipt-193820748.html

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Fire Applebee's"
Posted by cahaya on 02-01-13 at 04:33 AM
Worse yet, Applebee's fired the wrong person. It wasn't the serving waitress who posted the receipt to Reddit, but another waitress, who was also later fired.

Check out the clip of one of the pastor's sermons at the bottom linked article. Fifteen members?

Posted by Brownroach on 02-01-13 at 12:15 PM
Well, the waitress who posted the receipt would be the "right" person to fire, whether she had actually served the party or not. Still it seems a bit of an overreaction on the part of Applebee's.

Posted by cahaya on 02-01-13 at 06:54 PM
Yes, definitely an overreaction.

But at the same time, consider the PCI (credit/debit card security) issues. A signature was posted online for anyone to see and this is considered highly private data, akin to SSN, at least as far as credit/debit card security protocols are concerned, if not legally.

I read that the OP did revise the Reddit post to exclude the handwritten signature, but it was too late, the actual sig was viral, and two waitresses get the toast instead of serving it.

I suggest Applebee's review the actual performance of both of these waitresses according to already in place evaluation protocols and decide from there. There's nothing that indicates whether these two waitresses provide good service or not, but if they were already continually employed without complaint from their employer, they should retain their jobs.

Posted by Brownroach on 02-02-13 at 12:04 PM
I agree about the signature, but I suspect that Bell complained more out of embarrassment than because of privacy issues.

Where are you seeing that two people got fired? As I understand the events, the server showed the receipt to co-worker Chelsea Welch. Welch photographed it and posted it on Reddit, and then got fired when Bell complained. The server did not get in trouble.

Posted by cahaya on 02-02-13 at 07:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-02-13 AT 07:08 PM (EST)

Yeah, relooking at the articles, I think you're right, only Chelsea Welch got fired but not the server. Somehow I thought the server got fired as well, but it was a presumption on my part.

(eta) A good link, itself already linked in posts above is the Consumerist.

Posted by dabo on 02-01-13 at 12:22 PM
Ah, ten in the group, five adults and five children -- 66% of the church! And the total bill was split between different people, not all on the pastor's bill. And the pastor did leave a cash tip for the waitress, so it wasn't bad service she was upset about just the autotip policy.

Posted by AyaK on 02-01-13 at 03:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-01-13 AT 03:53 PM (EST)

And the pastor did leave a cash tip for the waitress

Says who? The ostensibly God-fearing pastor? Would you actually believe anything she had to say?

Two parts of the Bible she clearly hasn't read:

Matthew 7:12
"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." (N.I.V.)

and Luke 6:31

"Do to others as you would have them do to you." (N.I.V.)

However, I agree with several other people here -- I think I've eaten at Applebee's twice in the last year, and in both cases it was because one of my daughters wanted to go there. The food is somewhat below undistinguished. So my boycotting the place won't hurt them.

Posted by dabo on 02-01-13 at 04:09 PM
It's actually a matter of indifference to me whether the pastor is telling the truth. How would I know? But her story in the smokinggun piece is that she left a $6.00 tip on the table and afterward discovered the autotip on her bill. It's a plausible story and indicates that she wasn't disatisfied with the service.

I agree that she mishandled the situation after that. And I agree with the waitress who posted the material that it is funny.

Can't recall the last time I had Applebee's, years ago, I think someone had a coupon. Maybe my son just wanted to try the ribs.

Posted by cahaya on 02-01-13 at 06:58 PM
*raised eyebrow*

AyaK the atheist quoting biblical scripture?

FWIW, my family and I once tried Applebee's and we since haven't returned.

Posted by Estee on 02-01-13 at 09:11 AM
So you have a price and the rest is just negotiations?

I have no problems with joining in on an Applebee's ban, but it's not going to do much to their financial bottom line: I've eaten there all of once and the food was the reason for not going twice.

Well, the food and the decor. Have you ever looked at one?

The customer is seldom right and generally a jerk.

Posted by kingfish on 02-01-13 at 09:31 AM
Hey, I got a price too. Let's negotiate.

Not an Applebee's fan. Last time I ate at one was in the electrical outage aftermath of the tornadoes that tore thru N. Alabamaa a couple of years ago. I was looking for a functioning gas station and finally found one next to an Applebee’s. So I ate there. I'll wait till the tornadoes strike again for my next Applebee's adventure.

The food is nothing special, unless you like bland Americanized rip-offs of every popular cuisine in the world.

They did have a bar, however.

Not tipping below minimum wage servers is way not cool, but I think it would be fairer to give them a raise in pay in lieu of tipping.

Posted by kidflash212 on 02-01-13 at 02:16 PM
Not tipping below minimum wage servers is way not cool, but I think it would be fairer to give them a raise in pay in lieu of tipping.

Menu prices would just go up to compensate for the higher wage expense.

Posted by kingfish on 02-01-13 at 05:28 PM
You're right, although theoretically the not having to tip would cancel out the menu price increase.

And if they’re not expecting a tip, they might not care so much about the service.

But I see so many people treat their servers with high and mighty attitudes and are quick to take offense at the first sign of slow service (which often originates in the kitchen), or the first time they don’t seem subservient enough, or if they pay too much attention to other customers, that I tend to feel that a reasonable tip is just a basic consideration.

It can be a tough job.

Posted by Starshine on 02-01-13 at 06:05 PM
Agree with you that it is a tough job, but I have two comments

Firstly if you see two similar restaurants and one is priced at about 13% more than the other because it doesn't require tipping, I think that 90% of people would choose the cheaper one, even if it did work out more expensive when the bill came.

Secondly, we are rapidly moving to the same model as you, however until recently tipping was for good service (and I still start at 10% and go up if the service is good). There are people out there who get their power kick by treating waitstaff like carp however I don't think they are too prevalent.

Posted by cahaya on 02-01-13 at 07:03 PM
Firstly if you see two similar restaurants and one is priced at about 13% more than the other because it doesn't require tipping, I think that 90% of people would choose the cheaper one, even if it did work out more expensive when the bill came.

People go where people like to hang out, in the U.K. and Northern Europe, slight differences in cost almost irrelevant. That's been my experience.

Frankly, I think tipping has gone far beyond what it was freely intended for. A simple reward for good service and thanks that was not presumed.

"Something wrong "
Posted by moonbaby on 02-01-13 at 11:49 AM
Shouldn't that pastor be giving God 100%?

Just sayin'

"RE: Something wrong "
Posted by agman on 02-01-13 at 12:48 PM
LOl I was thinking the same thing!

Posted by dabo on 02-01-13 at 12:15 PM
Well, with an autotip policy for parties of 8 or more -- first of all, %18 is too high IMO.

But anyway, with a bill for 8 people amounting to $34.93 that means the average charge per person was $4.36625? Mighty cheap bunch, you ask me. And no wonder Applebee's can't pay the staff a living wage!

Of course, while the group may have been large, the total bills could have been split between two or more members of the party and the autotip still have been applied. I've encountered that before (usually after funerals where I was only paying for the four of us not the entire group). That part of the autotip policy does make sense to me, though, as the server has still had to deal with a large group.

Anyway, the waitress who was fired didn't do much of anything wrong, in my opinion. She should have cropped out the pastor's signature, that was her only real mistake, TMI.

She shouldn't have been fired. But anyway, good for Applebee's, this should attract a lot of cheapos to their restaurants. Fine with me, let a bunch of people sit sipping their coffees and getting free refills occupying Applebee's, taking up space.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-01-13 at 01:06 PM
Joke's going to be on that pastor -- what do you think is going to happen every time she enters a restaurant in the greater St. Louis area from now on?

Right. Don't be surprised if some special "sauces" or "condiments" are added to her food every time she sits down, courtesy of the kitchen. You can bet that the wait staff of almost every restaurant in town will have her likeness burned into their memories since her picture has been posted online.

"Pastor's apologized "
Posted by HobbsofMI on 02-01-13 at 01:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-01-13 AT 01:57 PM (EST)

I need to read others links....this was linked.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

"Twitter Abuse"
Posted by byoffer on 02-01-13 at 03:34 PM
While I agree with all the sentiments above, at some point don't people need to show some common sense and realize that twitter posts can come with consequences?

Another case in point. Hockey referee for the OHL (Ontario Hockey League. Canadian Junior hockey and probably the #1 feeder league for the NHL).

This referee made some very disparaging remarks about the town where he was sent to work for a game. Now he won't be working anywhere.

What's the old saying, "Lose lips sink ships". There must be a social media translation.

"RE: Twitter Abuse"
Posted by cahaya on 02-01-13 at 07:10 PM
"Lose lips sink ships".