URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37963
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The mandatory 'dear gawds it's cold' thread."

Posted by Estee on 01-23-13 at 07:38 PM
Today's wind-chill RealFeelTm low: -5F.

Tomorrow: about the same, except windier.

Number of layers I had to wear outside today: way too many.

Joint motion lost at shoulders and elbows: most of it.

Expected duration of cold snap: through Sunday.

Stuff I left in the car: significant.

Chance I'm going back for it tonight: none.

Additional insult: my thermostat needs servicing. I have heat, but I have to turn it up to over 75 before anything kicks in.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The mandatory 'dear gawds it's cold' thread."
Posted by moonbaby on 01-23-13 at 07:48 PM
Jack Frost has rabies.

Posted by Estee on 01-23-13 at 07:54 PM
So you're saying this weather feels like a nine-inch needle to your stomach?

": )"
Posted by IceCat on 01-23-13 at 08:00 PM

"RE: : )"
Posted by foonermints on 01-24-13 at 00:34 AM
Weather in Cabo Cabo San Lucas looks pretty bleak, too.

The skiing must suck.

Posted by newsomewayne on 01-23-13 at 09:37 PM
Question for you locals:

How come no matter which way you walk in Manhatten, the wind always blows toward you?

After this morning, I am no longer able to complain of Tennesee temperatures.

Tebow Time is over. We prefer to win games in the 1st quarter.
Trade managed by GM Agman, 2012

Posted by Estee on 01-23-13 at 09:41 PM
What would you prefer as an answer? That the buildings have a channeling effect and create downdrafts in places and directions you wouldn't expect, or that the very atmosphere of the blue state is out to get you?

Optionally, your deity may be trying to blow you home before The Corruption hits.

Posted by newsomewayne on 01-23-13 at 09:58 PM
D. All of the above.

" the real question is..."
Posted by jbug on 01-24-13 at 02:08 PM
What are you doing in NY?

Come home country boy; come home!

can't resist kidnapping this jewel

"RE: the real question is..."
Posted by Estee on 01-24-13 at 02:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-13 AT 02:37 PM (EST)

How do you expect to kill libruls unless you go to the hunting grounds?

However, you won't be hearing from him for a while. Y'see, librul-killing may be legal here, but unfortunately, Mayor Michael 'I Own Your Thoughts' Bloomberg has a maximum lifetime free Internet usage limit and Newsome? Just went over it. So we'll be seeing him in five years, plus seventy thousand dollars. And he'll have to let us know by physical post.

Assuming he hasn't hit the Lifetime Non-Corporate Stamp Limit. (It's three.)

"RE: the real question is..."
Posted by kidflash212 on 01-24-13 at 07:34 PM
And why no peep meet?

Posted by Snidget on 01-23-13 at 10:27 PM
So I shouldn't complain about the double digit positive numbers here, huh?

Posted by dabo on 01-24-13 at 00:03 AM
Rather have the snow.

Posted by Snidget on 01-24-13 at 07:30 AM
Friday we have a chance of ice. Hopefully just enough to make things pretty and not enough to be a huge problem.

Posted by dabo on 01-24-13 at 02:09 PM
Hope that doesn't mean an ice storm, those are pretty bad.

We need the snow. Not usually a fan of a lot of snow, some is nice though; but after the drought summer we could use a lot of it this year. Had a nice blanket of snow for awhile from a couple of snowfalls in December, but it's all gone now after some nice rain in January. A new blanket covering the fields, even if more than I care to have to shovel out of the driveway again, would be a good thing.

Posted by Snidget on 01-24-13 at 02:31 PM
They don't think we will get enough ice to cause trouble, but it is one of those wintry mixes kind of things so there could be some icing.

Hopefully won't turn into a full blown ice storm. At least time we have dry weather until it hits so they can brine the roads. Last snow it rained for a couple of days right up until the time it started snowing so they couldn't do anything until it switched over.

Posted by Estee on 01-24-13 at 09:18 AM
I gave serious thought to a breakfast of oatmeal with hot sauce.

The central thing stopping me was my general dislike of most oatmeal.

Also, it's Scottish steelcut oatmeal, so you have to start cooking it two days before.

"Texas is beckoning"
Posted by kingfish on 01-24-13 at 10:35 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-13 AT 10:39 AM (EST)

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/corpus-christi-tx/78401/weather-forecast/331130

There are very few cities as beautiful as Corpus Christi, TX. You bask in the summer and you don't freeze in the winter.

Of course, there's always Riyadh, where women are beheaded.

"RE: Texas is beckoning"
Posted by Estee on 01-24-13 at 10:39 AM
I wasn't aware 'Burn the heretic!' counted as beckoning.

If I ever move based purely on weather, San Diego is at the top of the list. Texas doesn't even get a drop of ink.

Posted by kingfish on 01-24-13 at 11:53 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-13 AT 03:36 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 01-24-13 AT 12:04 PM (EST)

Well, it's easy to get into California. No traffic on the westward flow. Just be prepared to donate 50+% of your income, thanks to Obama's and Brown's progressive ideas for bleeding the citizenry.

Zero state tax in Texas, and great weather. Makes it worth putting up with Perry's clowning around. Hey, and Rodeos, almost forgot that. Nothing like the smell of ranching to make one wax nostalgic. Don't all women like horse riding?

Posted by foonermints on 01-24-13 at 09:06 PM
I wonder if I can get my ex to move to Riyadh?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-24-13 at 01:22 PM
*shrugs*

It's a typical winter day here.

Just a matter of time before it's March and the spring weather starts to warm things up.

Posted by Estee on 01-24-13 at 02:36 PM
Gosh, Mr. Typical Winder Day, I thought spring traditionally arrived in Canada on the 17th of August.

Posted by Snidget on 01-24-13 at 08:06 PM
Silly, that's the date fall starts. Summer starts August 14 and spring starts August 9.

Posted by taffnic on 01-24-13 at 05:39 PM
I cannot imagine living up north where it snows. It was 42 degrees this morning near Tampa and I was freezing. I did not want to go outdoors at all.

creation by Agman

Posted by WyoGuy44 on 01-24-13 at 07:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-13 AT 07:46 PM (EST)

It was 14 degrees or so when I went to work and in the 40's when I got off work at 1030a.m. It's Wyoming..give it 5 minutes and it will change.

Handcrafted by Agman formerly known as deer. d.h.

"It's so cold"
Posted by moonbaby on 01-24-13 at 07:59 PM
the train rails are breaking. One yesterday morning and one tonight.

"RE: It's so cold"
Posted by WyoGuy44 on 01-24-13 at 08:19 PM
Now that is cold!! Reminds me of those cold Minnesota days. -30 degrees was not at all uncommon. *shivers just thinking about it*

Posted by foonermints on 01-24-13 at 10:29 PM
Ice Storm!

There goes the power lines.

In for a penny, in for a pound.
I remember walking into a bar in Bozeman Montana at 30° above, walking out a few hours later at 30° below. Hardly noticed a change.

Posted by WyoGuy44 on 01-25-13 at 06:58 PM
Ice storm of 1998 was a bad one back home. We had tons of slush snow and ice right around Halloween. Had friends in the county without power for over a month. And Halloween night * I lived in town* I had alot of trick or treaters even though the power was off in town. *hello parents dangerous* just saying!

"NOAA animation"
Posted by cahaya on 01-24-13 at 10:42 PM
... found here.

Hmmm... it's a battle between the blue states and red states!

Posted by Karchita on 01-25-13 at 03:16 AM
Wow. What a bunch of wimps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJeWLMFKwcU

Posted by foonermints on 01-25-13 at 09:32 AM
You should see the people bundled up here!
Average temp: 63°

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Karchita on 01-25-13 at 10:28 PM
God gawd, don't tell me people are actually going out in that kind of weather.

*eye roll*

"Rain is Even Worse"
Posted by foonermints on 01-28-13 at 12:40 PM
Sure, you've got on about 25 layers, plus a big jacket with a fake wolf fur ruff around the hood, but with rain, you also ned a complete set of yellow slickers and an umbrella the size of Oaxaca. Remember, you are only 5' tall, so always aim for the eyes of your fellow pedestrians with your shurikin-on-a-stick, grasshopper.

In truth, the drizzle was a little heavy. Kind of like fog gotten too fat. The leaves were almost dripping. *shudder*

"Where's the snow?"
Posted by kidflash212 on 01-25-13 at 12:22 PM
I can't remember a time in New York when we had an entire winter with no snow.

I'll take the cold over sweltering summer heat any day.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

"RE: Where's the snow?"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-25-13 at 12:49 PM
Ditto, I don't mind the cold so much if there's a bit of snow and not a massive dumping of snow. When it's cold and there's just a bit of snow, it's not too bad for driving or getting around as it's easier to navigate. When it's warmer and there's a dumping of snow, then it's a problem for driving with black ice on top of the slush.

Speaking of weather related stuff... oy.

http://www.thespec.com/news/world/article/875410--dad-leaves-baby-in-freezing-car-for-8-hours

"I can't do it."
Posted by Estee on 01-25-13 at 07:29 PM
According to the National Weather Service, the minor flurry currently hitting my area is named Khan.

"RE: I can't do it."
Posted by Snidget on 01-25-13 at 09:06 PM

"Is"
Posted by foonermints on 01-25-13 at 10:08 PM
There a William Shatner joke in here?

Posted by frodis on 01-28-13 at 02:15 PM
No, The Weather Channel named it Khan.

The National Weather Service doesn't name winter storms and thinks The Weather Channel is being stupid.

Cake Haiku. Motion by Snidget/Shrunken down by Moonbaby/Ice Cat legal-sized.

Posted by Estee on 01-28-13 at 02:19 PM

...I'm getting really tired of having my radio lie to me.

Posted by frodis on 01-28-13 at 02:54 PM
Take heart, it just means that neither you nor your radio are weather nerds.

(the Nerds, generally speaking, also think The Weather Channel is being stupid.)

Cake Haiku. Motion by Snidget/Shrunken down by Moonbaby/Ice Cat legal-sized.

Posted by Dakota on 01-27-13 at 10:44 PM
We went from 3 degrees last week to 31 tonight. I don't care if it snowed today, I'm pulling out the swimsuit and flip-flops. We called it "COLD". Not as interesting as Khan, but that's the midwest for you.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

Posted by Estee on 01-28-13 at 09:38 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-13 AT 01:34 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 01-28-13 AT 09:50 AM (EST)

Certain activities which would normally be considered perfectly ordinary become hazardous in the cold. Like, say, walking past a self-service open-bay car wash.

To wit, the kind of car wash where you pull your car in at any hour of the day or night and put quarters into machines which at least occasionally bother to count them and activate hoses that spray your car with soap and water except that the owner of the car wash maintains nothing and those hoses continually leak regardless of quarters so in cold weather you get a slow flow of soap and water which freezes to the concrete and builds up in layers as still more leaks out because the hoses themselves never freeze and ultimately this results in a glacier coating the entire sidewalk in front of the car wash plus part of the road so you can't step into it and you can't cross the street because there's nowhere to walk there so it's either middle of the road and die or try to inch your way very carefully across the ice field and oh dear gawds I'm going to be feeling that for weeks.

I'm not a particularly litigious person: I've never sued anyone over anything. But this time, I am sorely -- very sorely -- tempted, if only to scare the facility's owner into fixing the bloody hoses before someone dies.

Ow.

Posted by Dakota on 01-28-13 at 01:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-13 AT 01:08 PM (EST)

I go to the drive-throughs. A bit more expensive, but you save on attorney fees.

Edit: My sig pic is busted.

Posted by kingfish on 01-28-13 at 01:10 PM
Not knowing exactly how ample the part of you that impacted the ground was (picturing butt, but it could have been something way worse, I had a friend that nearly died from a slip and fall on the ice), I don't know how much consolation should be directed your way. But here's some anyway;

"Sorry to hear, I hope there are no broken bones, I hope you heal soon, and if it was a butt splash, are there pictures?"

Good luck on the lawsuit, if you sue the carwash owner. However, he/she probably isn't making much money during the winter, so you may end up with a leaky car wash that you'll have to chance a daily visit in order to empty the coins and replenish soap/wax/etc.

Posted by Estee on 01-28-13 at 01:38 PM
However, he/she probably isn't making much money during the winter

Oh ye of little cold weather exposure. Car washes in the Mid-Atlantic turn small fortunes during the winter, because the quasi-salt scattered on the road to melt snow and ice will also eat away at the finish of every vehicle crossing it -- and, given enough time, everything under the finish. Add that to residue buildup on the glass which must be scrubbed away before you're driving blind, and there are customers at all hours of the day. The self-service bays are 24-hour just to take advantage.

So he (and it's a he) has money. He can spend some on repairs. Or else.

I will not discuss the landing beyond 'nothing broken, everything bruised'.

"So for Repairs"
Posted by foonermints on 01-28-13 at 02:08 PM
He should send the car wash to a couple of weeks in Rio?

"RE: So for Repairs"
Posted by Estee on 01-28-13 at 02:17 PM
It's that or he sends me.

Not a good time to party in Brazil right now, though.

Posted by kingfish on 01-28-13 at 02:30 PM
Ya'll are hardy folks, willing to do an outside car wash in the winter.

(As to affected body parts, would you have been be hurt worse if you had been Jennifer Lopez, or if you had been Coco?).

Posted by foonermints on 01-28-13 at 02:35 PM
Ecuador then.

I don't think Galapagoes tortises bite. At least not very much, unless you're a vegetable. Neither do they play with fireworks.

Posted by kingfish on 01-28-13 at 02:38 PM
They got some lizards that look bitey. Kinda like RTVW.

Posted by foonermints on 01-28-13 at 03:00 PM
PLUS: The little biteys swim. Along with those crazy birds.

Posted by Snidget on 01-28-13 at 02:44 PM
Maybe you could borrow the Newark Mayor for an afternoon to chip all the ice away and replace the hoses. He was on the news this morning for working the Animal Control Beat and saving a puppy from freezing to death. Surely he will save your bruisables from the evil ice.

Posted by Dakota on 01-28-13 at 01:05 PM
It's 48 degrees. Clearly the end of the world is near.

Agman's Spring Fling '12

Posted by jbug on 01-28-13 at 01:37 PM
No,
it's 60 degrees; and getting warmer tomorrow.

Tribe put my name in lights! 2012

"It should never be"
Posted by Snidget on 01-30-13 at 07:58 AM
63 degrees at 6:30 am in JANUARY.

Enjoy it they say, it will be nice they say, usually what follows this will not be "nice".

"RE: It should never be"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-30-13 at 08:17 AM
Yeah, after two weeks of -15 to -20 temps and hard packed snow, it's plus 12 right now and the pouring rain has already wiped out all of the built up snow on the ground. It was so dangerously icy that schools were closed on Monday (they never close even during blizzards!) and the ice claimed Pene again - fractured wrist, in a cast. 366 days after a wipeout that needed surgery to put a rod into her leg.

Posted by Estee on 01-30-13 at 09:08 AM
*sigh* I think at this point, you buy a Segway with ice treads and never look back. Any therapy required this time, or was it a clean break?

Gee, at least it wasn't on the exact anniversary. Or are we somehow counting Leap Day?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-30-13 at 10:33 AM
I told her to not make any plans whatsoever for next January 30th as that's the 366-day anniversary.

At this point with her luck, I'd be worried about the Segway stalling, knocking her to the ground and then starting up again on its own then running her over, and backing up again for good measure.

Just another freak thing with the ice built up at the end of the driveway by the boulevard where the water was running over the packed down ice left over from where the snow plows had packed things down in a drive by the day before.

At least this one shouldn't be too bad - two weeks in a cast and then reevaluate it. She's back at work today.

Posted by Snidget on 01-30-13 at 01:22 PM
Maybe next year for Christmas you should get a Pene a set of airbags to be encased in.

Poor thing. Hope she heals up quickly from this.

Posted by jbug on 01-30-13 at 04:07 PM

Posted by Starshine on 01-30-13 at 12:23 PM
This is what the snow was like for us...

Photo

Back to 50F (10C) now.