URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37960
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Hobbes, get your gun!"

Posted by kingfish on 01-23-13 at 11:02 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-23-13 AT 11:05 AM (EST)

It seems Detriot tops a list of most dangerous cities.

Considering the present national debate, it would be interesting to cross reference those places with gun laws such as "Shall issue" permit laws, "gun possession" laws, clip capicity laws, ammo laws, etc. It would be more informative if the stats used to determine which cities were more dangerous were equally applied (they aren't, and Detroit probably gets somewhat of a bad rap), and if a lot more cities were included on the list.

Kinda interesting that two on the list are in Missouri. I wouldn't have guessed that. On the otherhand, I'm surprised that New Orleans (the only city on the list that I have a lot of experience with) is as low as it is. Going to an ATM unarmed in certian parts of NO is a death wish.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_estate/2013/01/23/dangerous-cities/index.html

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Hobbes, get your gun!"
Posted by Snidget on 01-23-13 at 11:36 AM
St. Louis doesn't surprise me as I grew up near there. Shortly before automobiles were invented the City and the County divorced. The County at the the time was poor and rural and the city was tired of those takers over there dragging them down (really, that isn't a new argument at all).

So the City looked at the situation and decided on what their largest size could ever possibly be and drew a line in the sand and left the County to rot without their money.

Then cars came.

And lots of people moved out to the suburbs,

Then many of the businesses followed the people out into the suburbs.

And what got left in the city was a lot of the things that tend to increase crime as many of them couldn't afford to move out. They have worked on it, but the County isn't going to take them back now the situation is reversed. When I was growing up the only place worse than the City proper was East St. Louis across the river.

I think that may also be part of what is going on with Kansas City. Not sure, but I thought the part of Kansas City in Kansas may have a different profile of persons living there than the ones on the Missouri side of the border. Usually when people have moved there I tend to hear them moving to either one of the commuter communities on the Missouri side or to Kansas.

Deck the Halls with Sigs of Tribe

Posted by jbug on 01-24-13 at 02:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-24-13 AT 02:13 PM (EST)

I grew up near there shortly before automobiles were invented.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 01-23-13 at 11:39 AM
I go downtown for Red Wings games and a few other things a year. Never felt like I needed a gun or felt threatened (knocks on wood). The worst I've been is pestered by panhandlers. Detroit has so many issues it's hard to point to one to say that's why and we need to fix that. Politics, government, gun, poverty, education, public schools, jobs, cops on the street, KK, etc. all need to be fixed before Detroit could come off of this list.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Posted by kingfish on 01-23-13 at 11:57 AM
First, let me apologize for putting Detroit on the spot.

Second, would the downtown area of Detroit be the more threatening area? I know in New Orleans and in Houston (which, BTW, I'm totally stunned that it isn’t on the list) it is the areas that are immediately adjacent to downtown where I would feel most uncomfortable without a gun.

As a ex-cab driver in Houston (long ago), those are the areas where I would frequently refuse fares.

Posted by newsomewayne on 01-23-13 at 09:52 PM
KK,

At first, I was like, what the frick, man? I thought you were some delusional Dunkin desciple. But then I realize that you are right in categorizing this as a problem. Krispy Kremes are totally worth resorting to any means necessary to get that Hot Doughnut fix.

My apoligies for my initial reaction.

Tebow Time is over. We prefer to win games in the 1st quarter.
Trade managed by GM Agman, 2012

Posted by foonermints on 01-23-13 at 11:29 PM
He can't get a gun anyway. Guns are bad.

tiny little devil: tiny little ironies

Posted by kingfish on 01-24-13 at 03:47 PM
Next, count up the ankle guns. Next, count up the Uzis. Next, count up the snipers overseeing from a distance thru scoped automatic assault rifles. Next, count up the armed helicopters hovering protectively overhead. Next, count up the F15's and F16's maintaining sky watch. Finally, count up the ground to air missile batteries ready to intercept scuds.

Posted by Estee on 01-24-13 at 04:00 PM
And finally, count up the number of people standing ready to kill him (and his wife plus children for good measure) as soon as all of the above are no longer present. You will reach several million in short order. A notable percentage of them are Americans.

I laughed at the NRA ad noting that his girls have armed guards, therefore all schools should have them. How many death threats have your kids received lately?

Posted by kingfish on 01-24-13 at 05:45 PM
How many of the kids at Sandy Hook had received death threats?

Yeah, he is a controversial (not to mention adversarial) national leader and he deserves protection from nuts.

So did those kids.

He's always surrounded by an arsenal (OK, maybe not so many Patriot missiles, maybe I exaggerated a little there), and it's not inappropriate to make the point that he gets well warranted 24/7 armed protection while at the same time appearing to be proposing to encroach upon the constitutionally protected right of self-protection for less privileged citizens.

Posted by Estee on 01-24-13 at 05:54 PM
Regardless, it's (physically, emotionally, financially) hard for every citizen to live their life as if someone hypothetically wants to murder them, even if you have to get used to that from birth on up. In the Obamas' case, it's not a hypothetical. There's more than one reason presidents seem to age so quickly.

I'm not arguing against some form of protection, although continually patrolling guards just make the school=prison link stronger. Just note that there will be damage.

Posted by kingfish on 01-25-13 at 12:50 PM
I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of guns in schools. Or even of the idea of heavily fortifying school structures although of the two I think that is a better option. And personally, I cannot conceive that I would ever carry a gun on me as a matter of course, although I do have a CCW permit (I’m a guy, and us guys need our CCW permits).

But I think that there are other people besides important or wealthy guys that deserve the opportunity for self-protection. For example, everyone.

There's also that little detail that the right to bear arms is a clearly protected right of US Citizens in the most fundamental legal code of US law. Biden/Obama blather notwithstanding.

With all this discussion, however, I think we are fundamentally in agreement.

Posted by foonermints on 01-24-13 at 10:02 PM

»OK, maybe not so many Patriot missiles, maybe I exaggerated a little there«

Patriot missles have to defend their commander-in-chief.

The Hellfire ones just have to wait.. tiny little devil: knowing who should come, and who should go..

Posted by kingfish on 01-25-13 at 12:08 PM
THAD, on the other hand, just wants his Margarita shaken, not stirred.

"btw:"
Posted by foonermints on 01-25-13 at 11:14 PM
Welcome to Israel

tiny little devil: tiny little ironies

"RE: btw:"
Posted by kingfish on 01-28-13 at 10:16 AM
Is that a 30 round clip in her back pocket, or is she just looking for love?

"RE: btw:"
Posted by foonermints on 01-28-13 at 12:13 PM

It appears to be a fashion accessory over there.

Posted by jbug on 01-24-13 at 02:18 PM
Memphis has grown into a sprawling city, encompassing more than 324 square miles. More than half of the metro-area residents live within city limits, which include many safe suburbs.

Despite that fact, Memphis still has a major crime problem, with a murder rate that is nearly four times the national average.

Street crime is also bad with robberies common and the city claiming the third highest aggravated assault rate in the country.

There have been 4 (FOUR) police involved shooting in January - so far. If you pull a gun and point it at a cop; expect to be shot.