URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37957
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Those odd news priorities."

Posted by Estee on 01-22-13 at 10:47 AM
Today's front page for every newspaper that wasn't The New York Post: inauguration coverage, exerts of the central speech, discussion of what this meant for the next four years, general agreement that any attempt to unite the country is doomed (wait, that's the readership), and so on down the line, focusing on the President.

The Post: Beyonce and Jay-Z.

This is not the first time. If something works out for the political left, they can be counted to run just about any other story as their lead. Pretend they don't exist for four more years and then hope for a hard reverse.

No unity is possible. No unity ever will be possible, and there was no unity in the past to aspire to. But gee, can we at least admit the other side exists?

...and I've asked too much. But I knew that going in.

Faux News: 'He's trying to lay out a Liberal Agenda!' Um... duh?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Those odd news priorities."
Posted by Snidget on 01-22-13 at 12:30 PM
You mean Beyonce and Jay-z weren't the most important couple from yesterday's wall to wall coverage of some event or other on the East Coast.

They had Tim Gunn commentating on the spectacle for awhile on CNN.

Posted by kingfish on 01-22-13 at 01:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-13 AT 01:24 PM (EST)

There are some days when I traditionally turn off access to all outside media.

I have a feeling that this will be a week of that kind of days.

Posted by AyaK on 01-22-13 at 07:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-13 AT 07:11 PM (EST)

Well, they could instead have noted what Obama's inaugural speech and actions this week showed that he wasn't interested in:

* the political center
* bipartisanship
* debt reduction
* reforming entitlements
* economic growth
* the private sector
* Iran's nuclear program
* Israel, except as a place to be handed over to Arabs at the first opportunity
* al-Qaeda
* Mali
* Islamic extremism in general

Would you have preferred that coverage, which would have the advantage of being honest?

Or did you just want to hear how elegant Barack and Michelle looked and how she surprised everyone by using the same designer and how wonderful their "Camelot II" looked and how people fawned over them?

Posted by Estee on 01-22-13 at 07:36 PM
I'll take honest coverage, although I'm not sure failure to mention something means a complete lack of interest in it, plus I don't care if anyone mentions bipartisanship because it's impossible and roughly 100$ likely to remain so.

However, I am vaguely curious as to what Jay-Z and Beyonce are running for under the GOP banner. I'll guess the House.

Posted by AyaK on 01-23-13 at 02:42 AM
I think Beyonce was running to replace Milli Vannilli in the position of Chief Lip-Syncher.

Posted by Estee on 01-23-13 at 09:14 AM
I'm pretty sure you just did several officeholders the dignity of skipping over their terms. Didn't the Spears have it last?

Well, it gives her a warmup for the Super Bowl. Or her turn as X-Factor judge, which is now inevitable. Forty million a year and someone else can sit in the seat.