URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37928
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Oscar Speculation (Companion Thread)"

Posted by kidflash212 on 01-09-13 at 04:42 PM
Maybe Estee and I can trade lime helmets. Oscar nominations will be out tomorrow.

Best Picture
Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Argo, Les Miserables and Zero Dark Thirty appear to be the locks. But as the Oscars can nominate from five to ten films we could see Life of Pi, Django Unchained, Amour, The Impossible, Amour or Beasts of the Southern Wild joining them.

Best Actress
Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain are the front runners for Silver Linings and Zero Dark Thirty. Naomi Watts for the Impossible looks like a good bet. Other in contention - Helen Mirren in Hitchcock, Emmanuelle Riva for Amour, Marion Cotillard for Rust & Bone. Some say Qu'venzhane Wallis in Beasts of the Southern Wild could get a nomination. I say a nine year old girl (who was 5 years old when she made the movie) getting a Oscar nomination for Best Actress is unlikely.

Best Actor
Daniel Day Lewis seems unbeatable for the award so four guys will settle for "It was an honor to be nominated". Hugh Jackman, Denzel Washington, Joaquin Phoenix, Bradley Cooper, and John Hawkes will play musical chairs to see who plays runner up to Lewis with Phoenix my pick as odd man out for bad mouthing the whole awards process. Long shot chance for Richard Gere but unlikely.

Best Supporting Actress
Two woman race between Anne Hathaway and Sally Field. After that, Helen Hunt, Ann Dowd, Nicole Kidman, Maggie Smith, Amy Adams, Jennifer Ehle and Judi Dench could all need a fancy dress for Oscar night. I think it winds up Hathaway, Field, Hunt, Kidman and Dowd.

Best Supporting Actor
Lots of people saying this will be the first time ever that all the nominees will be former winners with Tommy Lee Jones, Robert DeNiro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Alan Arkin and Christoph Waltz the likely honorees. I would take out Arkin, DeNiro and Waltz and replace them with Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor and Eddie Redmayne but the Academy seems to prefer male nominees to be mature, gray, wrinkled and with little sex appeal so I'm probably to be disappointed.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Oscar Speculation (Companion Thread)"
Posted by Puffy on 01-10-13 at 02:32 PM
I was at the People's Choice Awards show last night. Totally different than the Oscars. There were lots of screaming girls. The girl next to me had two cell phones. She was texting and taking pictures and videos the entire time.

I've seen several of the Oscar-nominated films. There's a couple that I never heard of. I'm going to see Silver Linings Playbook today.

I'm surprised that Eddie Redmayne, Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio weren't nominated.

I waddle for Agman

"So..."
Posted by Estee on 01-12-13 at 01:13 PM
...did you win?

"Here's the list"
Posted by Brownroach on 01-10-13 at 02:48 PM
http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Yep, all the Supporting Actor nominees have Oscars already -- Robert DeNiro has two (as do Sally Field, D-Day Lewis and Denzel). Only 4 of the 20 acting slots went to first-time nominees. So much for fresh blood.

"Hack the Oscars."
Posted by Estee on 01-12-13 at 01:18 PM
This is the first year where much of the Academy is voting via Internet, and there's been a number of problems reported. Comedians are having fun mocking the supposed tech non-savvy of the members -- the joke I saw was that Le Miz would win if they could just poll the microwaves -- but the reality has the dedicated website rejecting assigned passwords and no real tech support on the other end. Which doesn't exactly speak well to the design or security of the site -- and just how hard would it be for a truly skilled coder to decide who wins every category?

"RE: Hack the Oscars."
Posted by kidflash212 on 01-12-13 at 01:25 PM
It would make the Oscars more fun to watch. Too bad they didn't hack and determine the nominees.

Rihanna for Best Actress - Battleship

Taylor Lautner for Best Supporting Actor - Twilight

Magic Mike for Best Costume Design.