URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37898
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"We can’t tolerate this anymore"

Posted by dabo on 12-17-12 at 02:10 AM
President Obama gave a speech tonight in which he dedicated himself to taking a lead position in the post Newtown political debates. Full transcript of speech.

quotes

But we as a nation, we are left with some hard questions. ...

This is our first task, caring for our children. It’s our first job. If we don’t get that right, we don’t get anything right. That’s how, as a society, we will be judged.

And by that measure, can we truly say, as a nation, that we’re meeting our obligations?

Can we honestly say that we’re doing enough to keep our children, all of them, safe from harm?

Can we claim, as a nation, that we’re all together there, letting them know they are loved and teaching them to love in return?

Can we say that we’re truly doing enough to give all the children of this country the chance they deserve to live out their lives in happiness and with purpose?

I’ve been reflecting on this the last few days, and if we’re honest with ourselves, the answer’s no. We’re not doing enough. And we will have to change. Since I’ve been president, this is the fourth time we have come together to comfort a grieving community torn apart by mass shootings, fourth time we’ve hugged survivors, the fourth time we’ve consoled the families of victims.

And in between, there have been an endless series of deadly shootings across the country, almost daily reports of victims, many of them children, in small towns and in big cities all across America, victims whose -- much of the time their only fault was being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

We can’t tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end. And to end them, we must change.

We will be told that the causes of such violence are complex, and that is true. No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society, but that can’t be an excuse for inaction. Surely we can do better than this.

If there’s even one step we can take to save another child or another parent or another town from the grief that’s visited Tucson and Aurora and Oak Creek and Newtown and communities from Columbine to Blacksburg before that, then surely we have an obligation to try.

In the coming weeks, I’ll use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens, from law enforcement, to mental health professionals, to parents and educators, in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this, because what choice do we have? We can’t accept events like this as routine.

Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard?

Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?

Alright then.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: We can’t tolerate this anymore"
Posted by Estee on 12-17-12 at 06:23 AM
I look forward to watching the GOP vote down everything he tries to do, followed by blaming him for every subsequent time it happens.

I'm sure they do too.

Posted by Snidget on 12-17-12 at 10:16 AM
*dark*

I'm sure not only are they going to blame him for all the future events, I'm sure they are gearing up to blame him for this one. After all if this is the one that actually gets Obama to take action about guns it is the one he arranged to happen so he would have the excuse. They'll put those kids blood on his hands in a heartbeat. Because you know the blood can't be put anywhere else.

*/dark*

Deck the Halls with Sigs of Tribe

Posted by kingfish on 12-17-12 at 10:34 AM
/continuing darkness

This, from a finger-pointing president that still blames Bush for his first term failures, and is likely to blame him for those of his second term?

And there are the still unanswered questions in regard to the Fast and Furious cover-up engineered by his Attorney general.

I was surprised that O and the Dems didn’t immediately point fingers at Bush for this mess. They'll probably make up for that today.

But pointing fingers doesn’t bring the kids back. What did they ever do?

"You Want Fingerpointing"
Posted by dabo on 12-17-12 at 11:58 AM
That happened Friday night on Twitter.

The owner of Fox News ... Rupert Murdoch ... wrote on Twitter late Friday: "Terrible news today. When will politicians find courage to ban automatic weapons?"

"RE: You Want Fingerpointing"
Posted by kingfish on 12-17-12 at 12:40 PM
There are a lot of variations of gun control being debated, but not in regard to an automatic weapons ban. They are already illegal in general, and it doesn't matter whether Murdoch is talking about the US, Britain, or Australia.

Probably he was referring to semi-automatic weapons, which because they are already deeply ingrained (in the US at least) in law enforcement and the hunting culture (a large number of shotguns, hunting rifles, target weapons, in short the "acceptable" types of firearms are already semiautomatic), debating banning semi-automatic weapons is an exercise in futility as well as inanity.

It would probably be more useful to talk about banning cheap weapons of any kind, and/or large capacity capability for firearms.

I personally think the most effective discussion would be in regard to personal responsibility for access to weapons, access by children and by anyone for whose use they are not intended. Safety proof them, separate the guns from the ammo, and lock both securely. Those things and maybe some other relatively simple and doable precautions might lessen a certain category of gun related tragedies.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 12-17-12 at 12:51 PM

>It would probably be more useful
>to talk about banning cheap
>weapons of any kind, and/or
>large capacity capability for firearms.

Agree, in a society such as the USA, completely eradicating firearms is probably an exercise in futility, but we can certainly start with rapidly-repeating firearms - is there really a need for these in society (i.e. hunting) outside of law enforcement or the military? Hunters probably just want the rifle that fire off a couple rounds at a time instead of mass-spraying hundreds of bullets in two minutes.

>I personally think the most effective
>discussion would be in regard
>to personal responsibility for access
>to weapons, access by children
>and by anyone for whose
>use they are not intended.
>Safety proof them, separate the
>guns from the ammo,
>and lock both securely. Those
>things and maybe some other
>relatively simple and doable precautions
>might lessen a certain category
>of gun related tragedies.

Right, but Adam Lanza clearly had time to put guns and ammo together before making his way to the school - even if they were both securely locked, Adam likely had a way to get ahold of them, being familiar with his mother's way of keeping house.

The bigger question to me is whether we should be focusing on the gun issue or on taking steps to identify those with possible mental or anger issues and ensuring they have a safe outlet to release their anger/frustrations/whatever ... or a combination of both? Whatever the reason and while the details are still fuzzy on the case, it's clear that Adam Lanza had no business in being in a household with guns present.

Posted by samboohoo on 12-17-12 at 01:37 PM
Agree.

My first questions about his mother were "Why did she have so many guns? and Why did she (or anyone rather) need to have that particular gun?"

I've never gotten into the gun control discussion. I think there are so many on both sides of the argument that are simply too fanatical to get into the discussion with.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Snidget on 12-17-12 at 02:33 PM
What little I've read so far seems to indicate she was a gun enthusiast and like a lot of enthusiasts of all kinds probably just liked having several of what they like and having the coolest, biggest, baddest ones they could afford.

Posted by Snidget on 12-17-12 at 12:52 PM
Yep, probably meant the "assault weapons" ban rather than fully automatic weapons that have never been legal

Not sure of the stats on how many of the shootings since the ban was lifted that were with guns or ammunition clips previously unavailable, and how many with guns we've never restricted.

Posted by AyaK on 12-17-12 at 01:14 PM
The rifle used in all of the Connecticut shootings (except for the gunman's suicide, for which he used a Glock handgun) was a Bushmaster .223, which was one of the weapons whose semi-automatic firing mode was restricted by the 1994 assault weapons ban, which expired in 2004.

It's a variant of the main military rifle in the U.S.

Before the ban expired, it was the weapon of choice of the D.C. snipers.

It was also the weapon of choice in the mall shootings last week.

Posted by Estee on 12-17-12 at 01:22 PM
If they focused their advertising around that, sales would go up.

*shrug* Who am I kidding? Sales will go up regardless.

Posted by Snidget on 12-17-12 at 01:30 PM
There will be enough lag time between any proposed ban and when it goes into effect that we will see a whole bunch of whatevers made and sold in the time that is available to sell them legally. AND likely all the ones sold legally since 2004 will still be on the street. Just adds a bit to the resale price.

Posted by Snidget on 12-17-12 at 01:28 PM
I also saw a note that the Aurora weapon was one of the ones banned, but there was a gun similar to it that wasn't so the ban may not have made much difference in that case.

Posted by AyaK on 12-17-12 at 01:43 PM
The thing here is that the purchase laws worked as required. This nutcase went into a gun store and was told that he couldn't get a gun because for the mandatory delay and investigation that is required for a gun purchase.

He didn't want to wait. So he murdered his mom and stole her guns. Really, that part doesn't seem like a gun control issue to me; criminals will always get guns through illegal methods such as theft and murder.

We could argue that guns shouldn't exist in the first place, but they do and they aren't going anywhere soon. There certainly isn't enough support for a constitutional amendment.

Instead, let's talk about the assault weapon ban, because it had a key point. Basically, it didn't reduce gun violence, for the simple reason that, as stated above, criminals don't go into gun shops to buy guns.

But one thing it did do was, in general, limit the cartridges for semi-automatics to a maximum of 10 rounds. That might have helped dramatically in CT. Or it might have made little difference. We'll never know. But I'd cetainly support reinstituting a limit on rounds in a semi-automatic cartridge. If it just reduces the murders in a mass-murder situation, that's at least something positive.

Posted by kingfish on 12-17-12 at 02:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-12 AT 02:24 PM (EST)

Hey, a lively discussion. About time.

To Pepe:

Yeah, there is a need for semi-automatic weapons in hunting. Maybe not like the human body needs sustenance, but ask any bird/waterfowl hunter who uses a semi-automatic shotgun (often incorrectly referred to as an automatic, thus compounding the confusion on this the issue). Which, incidentally is limited by wildlife regs. to three shells. Or ask any varmint hunter.

I‘m not familiar with hunting regs. in Canada, but I know there is a rich hunting culture there and I believe that banning semi-automatics there would not be something that Canadian hunters would tolerate.

Think of how many backwoods tragedies would occur if constables tried to check all backwoods hunter weapon collections and collect the semi-automatics.

In General:

Trying to ban semi-automatic hunting weapons (on the basis that they are simply “semi-automatic”) is futile; they have been in use for over a half century now. WWII GI’s brought them home (many many M-1 carbines, and maybe others). Many hunters prefer semi-automatic weapons, they are useful, and that second shot is often the difference between hunting success and failure, or between a wounded animal and a dead animal. When hunting, a dead animal is much the preferred outcome. Varmint hunters use semiautomatic guns almost exclusively. You just can’t hunt an animal on the move without a quick second shot available.

As for the assault weapons ban that expired recently (whenever it was), this was problematic also. I think the real problem there comes down to definition, because, except for the military add-ons like laser sighting, night sighting, etc, assault weapons are actually used for hunting. They are actually used as hunting weapons. So, again, apart from limiting magazine capacity, how could a law be crafted to differentiate the two?

Many hunters prefer the lighter, more accurate, less susceptible to field failures and corrosion, and higher impact so called "assault" weapons to more traditionally designed walnut burl stocked hunting weapons. In short, what makes a military weapon good for hunting a human enemy also makes an excellent weapon for sport hunting of animals. So, apart from mag capacity, what really is an effective difference that can be legislated so as to exclude "assault" weapons?

Over simplifying; banning a weapon that is labeled an 'assault" weapon would force the Mfg's to label it as something else (i.e. "hunting", or "target gun") more legal and ensure that there are some who would indeed use it as such. BTW, there are target gun classifications that require semi-automatic weapons.

So, you ban an assault weapon because of it’s military like appearance or heritage, and gun makers read the detail specifications of the law and design a weapon that is technically a hunting weapon (per legal definition). One that can be used with results just as deadly as any “assault" weapon.

If Mr Lanza had not had his mom's Bushmaster to choose from, would he have not grabbed one of her two "hunting" rifles? Or what if he only carried out his insanity with only the pistols, would the outcome been different? And what are the odds that they (his mom's hunting rifles) weren’t also “semi-automatic”?

" I agree."
Posted by foonermints on 12-17-12 at 02:29 PM
For hunting there's no need for anything over 10 rounds. Even that is twice what you'd need. Heck, if you can't shoot very well don't ask your tool to make up for it, and you shouldn't be hunting anyway.

I like background checks. Sure, there are ways around them, but at least it's something. Waiting period? Fine. I've never needed to go whack down my silver dollars and immediately pick up a shootin' iron.

Wayback when (30 years), I have had guns stolen. An H&K91 and a Ruger Mini 14. They're probably still around, and I'm still married to them.

Now we should talk about bullets. I have to show my picture ID if I buy a box here in Los Angeles. I don't mind at all. I'm glad they got rid of the teflon-coated "cop killers", too.
As Pat Paulson said: "Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people". No need for the Zombie Apocalypse 100 round drum.

It's still a good thing that I don't run the Universe. Maybe.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 12-17-12 at 02:30 PM
I have yet to hear or met anyone who could tell me a sensible reason to have a clip/magazine of 30 or more. I think 10 is a good number to defend yourself and limits those who are out for mass murder.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Posted by Snidget on 12-17-12 at 02:31 PM
*nods*

I looked at some stats and it did seem the number of these mass murders went down during the ban and have gone back up now that it is easier to get the larger magazines again.

Having to pause to reload at least makes it that many fewer bullets they get out before the cops arrive and generally these guys more often than not seem likely to off themselves once they hear the sirens screaming.

Posted by kingfish on 12-17-12 at 03:08 PM
All good ideas. I might even go for banning removable clips, and requiring rifle magazines to be part of the gun. And limit rifles to 5-6 rounds. Esp. high powered rifles, I like to plunk with large capacity 22s.

But there is another area that it seems to me that could be better controlled. Serial number tracing. It should be possible to trace every gun made in this age of computerization. Maybe with chips? Might not prevent crime, but it would be another tool for police, and could allow them to trace the source of illegal weapons sales.

Unless, of course, it is Uncle Sam doing the selling.

Posted by foonermints on 12-17-12 at 03:22 PM

»Unless, of course, it is Uncle Sam doing the selling.«

*Tries to sweep gun under rug*

Err - I think that's where the floor bubbled after the hurricane!

Posted by aethelstan on 12-18-12 at 10:49 AM
criminals don't go into gun shops to buy guns.

If there were fewer guns available from the outset, like in Canada and the rest of the western world, then the time required to get a gun goes up dramatically. The more time that a nutcase requires to get a gun, the more likely it is that he a. gives up, b. uses a knife instead, c. makes his intentions known which can lead to stopping him, etc.

If I suddenly went crazy and wanted to go to a mall or a movie theatre and shoot everyone there, I would have no idea where to get a gun except the police department or the army base. So, I'd have to start hanging around the less desirable parts of town and start making enquiries as to how to obtain an illegal weapon (most of which are imported from the US). That's an awful lot of work and would take a long, long time before I'd be able to do it. So, I'd have to have gone crazy but managed to be schizophrenic and appear to be living my normal life with normal habits all the while arranging to get a gun and ammo. And, not just any gun, but something that can shoot multiple rounds quickly. Had I lived in the US, I would assume that if I broke into 3 houses, I'd have already found at least one gun.

So, while there are a number of good suggestions mentioned elsewhere, like limiting the size of magazines, it seems as though banning handguns (not used by hunters) would be another good one and anything else to limit the ease with which criminals can obtain guns and that means having fewer guns total.

Actually, if I wanted to try to find a gun in Canada, I'd google my nearest hunting lodge and try to break in there or follow someone who frequents the lodge and break into his place. All still time-consuming and increasing the likelihood of getting caught before I made it to the mall, school, movie theatre, work place, etc.

Posted by kidflash212 on 12-18-12 at 11:37 AM
Criminals do go into gun shops to buy guns. All of the guns used in recent mass shootings were purchased legally by the gunman or by someone in the gunman's own household which gave the madman much easier access to a weapon than if he had to break into a strangers house or into a gun store. Here in NY, they've traced the source of guns used in street crimes and found that they were often purchased legally in states like Virginia.

The USA doesn't have a monopoly on insane people with violent tendencies but mass shootings happen much less frequently outside the US. Other countries crazy people don't seem to "get weapons anyway", at least not as easily as they do here.

Limiting magazine capacity and closing the gun show loophole seem like obvious first steps. Getting a gun license should have at least as much involved as getting a driver license. A written test, a class and a "road test" with an qualified instructor. It wouldn't stop every madman but it could stop a few.

Posted by Snidget on 12-18-12 at 11:46 AM
While it is true a lot of known criminals with records that will not pass a background check do buy illegal guns, or steal them.

However most of our mass shooters pass the background check and quiet easily buy them. I think I read something like 80% of the guns in mass shootings are legally purchased by the shooter and the rest are usually stolen from someone the shooter knows who purchased the guns legally.

Yep, you get shot by a career criminal doing whatever their crime of choice is, that gun was most likely obtained on the black market or occasionally stolen from a house. Problem is a lot of the guns in homes are actually locked up so I would think buying it on the street would be easier than breaking into enough homes and hoping you find where they hid the key to the gun safe or hoping they are one of the people with kids that keeps the gun in the nightstand anyway.

Posted by kingfish on 12-18-12 at 11:44 AM
"If there were fewer guns available from the outset, like in Canada and the rest of the western world..."

There are fewer guns available in Canada and the Western world than in the US? In Canada, with as many hunters as there are there, there are fewer guns available? Are you talking about legal arms availability or the general availability of weapons? Is this per capita or in total?

And the rest of the western world? Do we include Mexico, Central and South America? Africa? The Caribbean? The Balkan States? Russia? Baltic States? The other countries of Central and Southeastern Europe?

Sorry, with all due respect, and I do have a lot of respect for you, Stan, I've got to throw a BS flag on that statement.

It is true that the US has is on the liberal side of the equation when it comes legal ownership of firearms, and countries like Germany and Britain are on the other side of the spectrum. But gun ownership is legal, even the ownership of semiautomatic weapons, and even in Canada, in just about every country in the Western world. And in a number of them, illegal firearm availability is much easier than in the US.

"If I suddenly went crazy and wanted to go to a mall or a movie theatre and shoot everyone there, I would have no idea where to get a gun except the police department or the army base."

You would go to an army base or a police station to get a gun? They don't have retail gun stores in Canada? Where do hunters shop?

However, it is true that as a Canadian, you do have less access to American retail gun outlets. I don't know if the law restricts foreign sales, but time and distance would for most Canadians.

Posted by Snidget on 12-18-12 at 11:51 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-12 AT 11:53 AM (EST)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

We're number one!!!

By a pretty large margin, now I'm not sure if they get all the illegal ones in there, but even in Switzerland the number of guns per person is less and I think you have to have one if you've been in the army, and pretty much every able bodied guy has to be in the army (or I thought that was how it went).

ETA: Now that may be because many of our gun owners here in the USA have small arsenals rather than one or two rifles for hunting or one handgun for protection.

Posted by Starshine on 12-18-12 at 03:11 PM
I'm a bit dubious on your stats Snidget.

6.6 guns per 100 people in England and Wales seems ridiculously high to me, unless airguns, antique weaponry, and military weapons are included in these figures.

If we assume that each gun owner has 4 guns then that suggests that 1.5% of the population has a firearm and that just beggars belief.

There is hunting. but a lot of that takes place in Scotland.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) says that over a million people a year participate in shooting, including game shooting, clay shooting and target shooting - About a sixtieth of the population.

Posted by kingfish on 12-18-12 at 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure we can depend on Wikipedia for this.

Thanks for the source, but still, doesn’t this fly in the face of reason? Rwanda is lower than the US? Ethiopia? Ghana? Tunisia? Bolivia? Mali (for gods sakes?), Tajikistan? Again, there’s some data skewing going on here. I’m guessing that there’s no attempt here to include illegal or unregistered weapons.

I mean, it makes sense in a way that people of richer countries would tend to have more stuff, weapons included, so maybe this is a list that reflects that as much as anything. And that we have more people who comply with gun registering laws?

A surprising (or possible a giveaway) note is that Britian and Germany aren’t near the bottom, they have very restrictive gun laws. Again, I think this may reflect that their gun registration laws are more effectively enforced.

One big problem is that we don’t really have much in the way of reliable data bases. But here are some US statistics gathered by the Congressional Research Service:

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/18/15977143-gun-control-offers-no-cure-all-in-america?lite

Posted by Snidget on 12-18-12 at 05:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-12 AT 07:25 PM (EST)

Now how many guns in the hands of paramilitary. Or rebel forces actively using guns openly. I'm sure there are countries that have a lot more of those than we do. I don't expect our illegal gun ownership is that well researched. And I suspect some of the people stockpiling I'm the USA skew our numbers a fair bit.

ETA: I'm not surprised that a good number of dictatorships have lower gun ownership than Western Countries where they may be strict, but they probably do allow people to hunt with rifles and shotguns.

Posted by aethelstan on 12-18-12 at 02:31 PM
You would go to an army base or a police station to get a gun? They don't have retail gun stores in Canada? Where do hunters shop?

LOL. I'm so clueless, I didn't even think of this. Of course, there must be those in Canada. However, I won't google 'where to obtain a gun in canada' in my office as I might get myself in trouble!

By Western World, I meant Western Europe, Canada, US, Australia and NZ. I'll agree it's probably not the best term to use as it dates back to the Cold War where you had 'the West', 'the Warsaw Pact' countries and everyone else was 'the Third World'. Back then (according to my history teacher way back in high school), 'Third World' didn't imply poor or that there was a 1st or 2nd world or anything else, only not on the US or Russia sides of the Cold War. Switzerland would have been Third World.
But I was quoting (possibly misquoting) something I heard on the radio this morning.

It would be interesting to get more details from the link that Snidget posted on who owns those guns. I (perhaps naively) think that gun ownership in Canada is confined to the military, the various levels of police services (local, rcmp, etc) and hunters (and we have a lot of hunters). There will be some farmers, as well, who have them to shoot the coyotes and such. I'd guess that knocking out law enforcement and military, our gun ownership % would be quite small (percentage of citizens living in a gun-owning household.)

I just googled wikipedia and found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States has a section on gun ownership and states that " in 1997, 40% of Americans reported having a gun in their homes. At this time there were approximately 44 million gun owners in the United States. This means that 25 percent of all adults owned at least one firearm. These owners possessed 192 million firearms, of which 65 million were handguns .... In the United States, 11% of households report actively being involved in hunting,<64> with the remaining firearm owners having guns for self-protection and other reasons."

Posted by dabo on 12-17-12 at 03:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-12 AT 03:25 PM (EST)

Rupert Murdoch's tweet Friday night may or may not have been sending a message to his minions at Fox News, as some speculated -- honestly, he wants to tell anyone at Fox News anything at all he only has to pick up the Batphone and yell as much as he wants. Any elected official reading it, though, would clearly get the message: It's your responsibility, do something about it.

Anyway, I don't know whether he confused fully automatic and semi-automatic weapons or meant to say assault weapons, but clearly we have a problem when semi-automatic weapons are just not that much different from automatic weapons. It's not the whole problem, unfortunately, and addressing these issues means having everything else explored as well.

This time the weapon used was one of convenience rather than of preference, for example.

And what can be done on the federal level? Most gun laws exist on the state and local level.

Posted by Snidget on 12-17-12 at 03:30 PM
Well the assault weapons ban that lapsed in 2004 was federal, so there are some things on that level they can do.

"On a Scarier Note"
Posted by foonermints on 12-17-12 at 03:42 PM
» clearly we have a problem when semi-automatic weapons are just not that much different from automatic weapons. It's not the whole problem, unfortunately, and addressing these issues means having everything else explored as well.«

One of the undercover cops I know is involved with getting RPG's off the black market here in Los Angeles.

"Thought"
Posted by AyaK on 12-17-12 at 04:52 PM
To me, the real question is one that represents one of my fundamental differences with the publicity-seeking political classes. Basically, when we read about these atrocities, we want to find a simple solution, but we don't want to use any logic in getting there. Rupert Murdock is just another attention hog looking for an "intiutive" solution that makes no sense.

In the Sandy Hook case, the school had increased internal security dramatically by simply locking the door from the inside during the school day. And yet, one nutcase armed with a rifle shot out a window and still got in to commit this atrocity.

Is the presence of the rifle the problem? Or is the presence of the nutcase the problem?

If we really want a solution, why focus on the rifle and not the nutcase? Look at the de-institutionalization since the 1960s. Heck, I can see evidence of it just by going out into the downtown of any major metro area. Why is the gun the problem?

The only real problem for which there is a simple solution is the availability of large-capacity magazines, as I discussed above. We've gone from limiting our madman (and, rarely, madwoman) killers to 6 victims without reloading to giving them a virtually unlimited number of victims without reloading.

"RE: Thought"
Posted by kingfish on 12-17-12 at 06:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-12 AT 09:46 PM (EST)

"Rupert Murdock is just another attention hog looking for an "intiutive" solution that makes no sense."

Amen.

Complicating the gun control discussion (in addition to the complications already expressed) is that there are different problems that tend to splinter the discussion.

1. Accidental killings by children.

2. Access to guns by unstable people.

3. Killings committed during the commission of other crimes.

4. Commission of atrocities my mentally affected people.

5. Rethinking how to handle mentally challenged people with violent tendencies, remembering many of those people have loved ones that want to shelter and protect them. Who we should if possible let do this without governmental intrusion. Families.

6. Commission of atocities by momentarily emotionally disturbed people (Mom kills family in fit of pique).

7. Gang violence.

8. Terrorist violence.

9. Rogue cops.

10. PTSD motivated killings (sub group of #3).

11. Others. Probably a lot more.

Identifying the problems, then isolating and concentrating on remedies that can be addressed in a reasonable manner (gun clips and ammo control are two great examples, IMO) would be a good start. Waving our arms and making hysterical knee jerk general pronouncements is unhelpful.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 12-17-12 at 07:06 PM
Exactly....we are looking at trying to find a solution at the end of the problem instead of the beginning of the problem.

sig Syren, bouncy by IceCat, bobble head by Tribephyl, and snoglobe by agman

Posted by dabo on 12-18-12 at 01:06 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-12 AT 01:07 AM (EST)

The idea per the president's speech is to pursue every avenue, it isn't a response simply to this one incident but all such incidents. So--

I like that you use the term nutcase. It is a term that we can all agree upon, and equally imprecise as the term mental illness.

The mental health issues should be explored, but unfortunately mental illness is not a commonality to all these nutcases.

We don't know what made this latest shooter go nutcase. His brother told authorities that his brother had a personality disorder (which one?) and mild autism. Another person said that he had been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, which is another way of saying autism. In the telephone reporting game of the day the media transformed those matters into mental illness. It's scarier that way.

It is not obvious here yet whether "mental illness" had anything at all to do with this guy going nutcase. Not the way we do know that the Aurora and Phoenix nutcases were mentally ill.

So, yeah, mental health solutions, it becomes an issue of identifying potential nutcases if possible. Then what?

Posted by newsomewayne on 01-09-13 at 00:35 AM
In the Sandy Hook case, the school had increased internal security dramatically by simply locking the door from the inside during the school day. And yet, one nutcase armed with a rifle shot out a window and still got in to commit this atrocity.

Is the presence of the rifle the problem? Or is the presence of the nutcase the problem?

Personally, I blame the window. I propose we ban all windows. Anybody else with me on this?

Posted by cahaya on 01-09-13 at 00:53 AM
Oh, come on, a school without windows? Make them bullet-proof. That's like recess without sunshine (or no outdoor recess at all, for security reasons because there might be a sniper in a tree somewhere).

Somewhere we need to draw the line between taking reasonable precautions and spending mega-bucks to protect against a threat that is still going to evade whatever measures are already in place.

Posted by sharnina on 01-09-13 at 06:17 PM
Could you take your tongue out of your cheek so I can understand you, please? ;)

Posted by dabo on 01-09-13 at 09:07 PM
We should replace all the clear windows with pink-colored panels. Pink is embarrassing to offenders, just ask Sheriff Joe. It's just so unnervingly calm.