URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37874
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"LO M8s. Let's cLebr8 texting!"

Posted by Starshine on 12-03-12 at 08:45 PM
20 years of SMS

Apparently the average US person sends "only" 675 texts per month.

Sort of puts my 10 maybe into perspective!

So what does everyone think of texting, do you use it or has it been replaced by Facebook and Twitter?

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: LO M8s. Let's cLebr8 texting!"
Posted by cahaya on 12-03-12 at 08:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-03-12 AT 09:21 PM (EST)

I still text, although e-mail is the usual form of communication for most of what I do. I'll text DW and DS from time to time when we want to swap some quick info (lists, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc.) that's easier to capture in text than by talking over the phone.

And I still use proper English in my texts -- I'm old fashioned that way. It gives me a headache to decipher texts and tweets which initially appear to be a random jumble of upper-case and lower-case characters and numbers. I can read plain English a lot faster.

Posted by jbug on 12-03-12 at 09:16 PM
I may be one of the last to get into texting.
My SIL added it to my old phone. I had to hit every key several times to get to the letters I needed

Recently they got me a new IPhone. So much easier.
And, I still use perfect English.
I hate it when auto correct changes what I write

I DO NOT text & drive.
I don't talk too much when I'm driving either.

One of Shar's unique creations

Posted by cahaya on 12-03-12 at 09:40 PM
Oh, yeah, I had one of those old texting phones before I got an iPhone earlier this year too!

And in case anyone is wondering what we're talking about, the keys were abc, def, ghi, jkl, mno, pqr, stu, vwx, yz0, 123, 456, 789 and maybe a pair of punctuation keys. If you wanted to text 'c', then you'd hit the abc key three times (once for 'a', twice for 'b' and thrice for 'c'). It's funny how quickly you can learn to do this, but it's murder on the fingers!

Posted by Snidget on 12-03-12 at 09:47 PM
I think why I am so good at deciphering txt abbreviations is that my Dad used to do those.

Verbally. Just say the letters and let the rest of us figure out WTH TMWTA.

Deck the Halls with Sigs of Tribe

"Whut?"
Posted by foonermints on 12-03-12 at 10:52 PM
I don't have a cell phone. Since I don't want the useless yammering, I have no need to be bombarded by the alphabet.

If you want my attention, throw a rock into my cave or something.

"RE: Whut?"
Posted by CTgirl on 12-04-12 at 01:07 AM
I'll send a carrier pidgeon!

"Careful!"
Posted by foonermints on 12-04-12 at 09:31 AM
We'll fatten it up so much when it gets here it'll have to catch the bus back.

Posted by agman on 12-04-12 at 05:14 PM
>If you want my attention,
>throw a rock into my
>cave or something.

If we don't have a rock, would a smoke bomb be okay instead?

Posted by foonermints on 12-04-12 at 10:18 PM
Sure, as long as I'm not lying on my rock shelf inside. It'll clear out the 'possums, a few squirrels and possibly a rat. Maybe the girlfriend, but she'll come back. Maybe.

btw: thanks in advance! Remember: after 5am and before 6pm. Weekdays.

Posted by byoffer on 12-04-12 at 11:09 AM
My kids had blackberries and we used BBM (Blackberry Messenger) a lot, which is a sort of texting. They just switched to iPhones, so now we are using actual text messaging.

Kids seem to prefer text over making a call, though I am trying to teach them that there is a time when a call is appropriate (I don't check my phone constantly, and my phone rings with a call but doesn't buzz for a text, so if you want me to pick you up from the bus you better call me!)

I still use mostly proper spelling and grammar when texting. I appreciate that texting has space limits, so short cuts might be cheaper, but it just seems wrong.

Posted by MKitty on 12-04-12 at 07:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-04-12 AT 07:31 PM (EST)

I have an iPhone and a teenager, so the only way I hear from him is through texting. Personally, I despise texting as the keyboard is so damn tiny and that it keeps autocorrecting into the wrong word as my finger might slip ont the next key! ARGHGH. Much prefer email. Much prefer talking.

I don't get it when teenagers virtually refuse to actually speak to each other to make plans, but text each other obscure posts and nobody is quite clear on what is exactly going on as they just won't make the damn call! (yeah, you can see how frustrated I am with the whole fiasco, which I witness every Friday night with my son making plans (or not) with his friends or girlfriend) It boggles my mind that he won't just call his friends to confirm when and where they are meeting, but relies on getting the text that has no information!! ARGGHGHGH. And yes, my texts, when I MUST text, are always in full sentences.

Seasonal CATastic courtesy of Agman!

Posted by CTgirl on 12-05-12 at 11:35 PM
MKitty - Hi Stranger!! How are ya?!

Posted by MKitty on 12-07-12 at 03:21 PM
Great..thanks! It's good to be back

Seasonal CATastic courtesy of Agman!

Posted by kingfish on 12-04-12 at 08:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-04-12 AT 10:31 PM (EST)

REally puts my 0 texts into perspective.

"Do not like"
Posted by moonbaby on 12-05-12 at 10:07 AM
and try not to use. But when you're communicating with someone much younger it is pretty much the only way you'll get them to respond. At first it seems fun because it is a novelty. But a short phone call can accomplish everything a 10 text textathon can in so much less time. Part of my dislike about texting is how people get so wrapped up in it they disregard everything else going on around them. The small screen has sucked in a huge part of the population. We already had the big screen do that but it was limited because it was not portable. I just don't see this as a good thing. Now get off my lawn.

"RE: Do not like"
Posted by byoffer on 12-05-12 at 01:50 PM
But a short phone call can accomplish everything a 10 text textathon can in so much less time.

This is true, and true of email as well.

Posted by cahaya on 12-05-12 at 02:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-05-12 AT 02:07 PM (EST)

1. Can't translate those texts on your phone?

There's an app for that!

In fact, research shows that 84 per cent of parents get texts from their children they cannot read.

2. Do you wonder how long it really takes to type and read a text message instead of English?

One study figured out that while it takes a little bit less time to text text-speak instead of English, it takes a lot longer to read it.

She says the message, which spanned two mobile phone screens, took 260 seconds to write in normal English, but only 220 seconds in textisms.

The participants took 14 seconds to read the normal English message, but 27 seconds to comprehend the textism message, and in many cases made mistakes.

In other words, it's about 15% faster to type, but it takes almost twice as long to read!

Posted by agman on 12-05-12 at 02:31 PM
I'm lucky, I have two teenagers to translate for me!

spelled out by Tribe

Posted by Brownroach on 12-05-12 at 11:50 PM
I only text with a few friends, and not on a constant basis. And I don't subscribe to Facebook or Twitter. So otherwise it's email or voicephone.

Posted by CTgirl on 12-06-12 at 00:11 AM
Texting is nice when you are underground or someplace with no cell service and can still get a message through.

Posted by VisionQuest on 12-06-12 at 01:32 PM
I will text and talk on the phone with my oldest DD, but I always have better luck with texting the younger DD. She responds more to a text than a phone call. I like it for a brief conversation. If it goes past two back and forths, I pick up the phone. I do that with email as well.

Posted by Estee on 12-06-12 at 01:48 PM
An exceptionally busy month might see me get close to a hundred, but forty is more typical. I have texters in the circle and I put up with the slang, but when I get tired of trying to look up every new counter-intuitive abbreviation, it's phone call time and they know it. Given that, half my texts at any given time are probably losing Coke contest entries.

What's annoying me is the scramble square: that little white-black speckled graphic you take a picture of in order to access not-so-special deals, exclusives, and clips. They're everywhere. Try not to snap one by accident.

Posted by Max Headroom on 12-06-12 at 02:07 PM
As someone who regularly texts his DS to come downstairs to do his chores, I appreciate the technology very much.

He might not pick up a call, but he always answers his texts.

Posted by CTgirl on 12-07-12 at 05:08 PM
I still remember the time he texted that he needed more toilet paper. Still makes me laugh!

My DS has outgrown the texting only a bit. He will answer his phone or call your back as soon as he sees you called now. I don't even bother to leave a message because he never listens to it.