URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37860
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Larry Hagman (81)"

Posted by dabo on 11-24-12 at 03:28 AM
Rest in peace, JR Anthony Nelson Ewing.

His role in Superman is so often overlooked.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Larry Hagman (81)"
Posted by Starshine on 11-24-12 at 04:38 AM
Thought he was perfect in I dream of Jeannie

Sounds like he was sort of entertaining in real life too

Posted by samboohoo on 11-24-12 at 09:39 AM
He was one of the best. RIP.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

"So..."
Posted by Estee on 11-24-12 at 09:47 AM
...who shot him this time?

(Only half-joking: with Dallas back on the air, I'm sure his screen death will be something other than peaceful and next season's central plot.)

"Called it."
Posted by Estee on 01-22-13 at 10:40 AM
Central plotline of the upcoming season: who murdered J.R.

"RE: Called it."
Posted by AyaK on 01-22-13 at 07:03 PM
The story is that Hagman told the producers that he was dying but that his doctors thought he should be able to make it through most of the season. The plan was to have him die in the next-to-last episode of the season and have the last episode feature his funeral.

Needless to say, that didn't work. The funeral will come earlier, in episode 6 or 7.

Posted by Molaholic on 11-24-12 at 01:22 PM
RIP Major Nelson.

I was wasn't a fan of "Dallas" so to me he will always be "the Master". (But then, I thought he had shuffled off his mortal coil some time ago...)

Posted by agman on 11-24-12 at 03:18 PM
RIP JR

spelled out by Tribe

Posted by jbug on 11-24-12 at 11:00 PM

"CBS Press Release"
Posted by dabo on 11-25-12 at 00:53 AM
http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=33722

“Television has seen many stars, but there will only be one Larry Hagman. Larry was a larger-than-life personality, both on-screen and off -- a master showman and brilliant actor who brought to life a character that transcended the medium and truly captivated a nation. Today, we mourn the loss of a friend, but remember a man who brought true greatness to his craft and a television character in J.R. Ewing that will never be forgotten.”

Posted by AyaK on 11-30-12 at 12:29 PM
I just wanted to point out that, in a business full of snakes and rats, Hagman was a very popular and genuine (if eccentric) person. I think part of the reason he captured the sinister JR so well was that the other actors on the show genuinely liked him, and so they never resented his "star" stature.

Here's a great Hagman story, told by the former head writer for the short-lived (five weeks!) NBC variety show Pink Lady, which starred a Japanese female vocal duo in a variety show on US TV in 1980 (also known as Pink Lady and Jeff).

http://www.newsfromme.com/2012/11/24/my-larry-hagman-story/

Posted by dabo on 11-30-12 at 08:41 PM
That's a great story, thanks for linking it!

Yeah, he always seemed likeable even if some of the characters he played were ruthless or evil or whatever.

People who think J.R. Ewing was bad ought to check out "Mother, Jugs & Speed," Murdoch was a genuinely loathesome character.