URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37853
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Hostess declares bankruptcy and final company shutdown."

Posted by Estee on 11-16-12 at 10:27 AM
So as it turns out, the company had an expiration date.

The stories I've seen made this out to be a combination of recessionary impact (snack cakes are not a high-priority item on a food budget: they supposedly lost over three hundred million last year) and at least two affiliated unions striking on them. Delivery was willing to take a pay cut, baking wasn't -- and so Hostess surrendered. They claim not to be making any money and they'd rather not lose it faster than they currently are: last one out, run your fingers along the inside of the wrapper to get the final bits. They'll keep their outlets stores open for a few days until the shelves are empty, but as of now, they consider themselves finished.

Stock up while you still can. It's not as if you have to worry about the stuff going bad.

The brands should survive: companies who don't have to rely on just those products might be happy to add those names to their portfolio. But expect a gap of a few months or more.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Hostess declares bankruptcy and final company shutdown."
Posted by kidflash212 on 11-16-12 at 10:45 AM
I wondered why my local 7-11 wasn't replenishing.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by Molaholic on 11-16-12 at 10:59 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-17-12 AT 02:43 PM (EST)

My brother-in-law delivers delivered for Hostess. They were informed Tuesday of the possibility that the company would be closing. Not too sure what he'll be doing now (he's in his late 50s, so a new career is a tough nut). Another major concern is the status of his pension (rumors of a 50% cut).

Kind thoughts appreciated.

eta: Today (Saturday) was his last day. 17+ years with the company and nothing to show for it but a couple of metal Wonder Bread trays & a Twinkie The Kid poster hanging on the kitchen wall.

"Pension"
Posted by AyaK on 11-16-12 at 11:09 PM
Yes, if the company's pension fund is underfunded, retirees only get the amount of pension guaranteed by Penny Benny, which may be much less than the negotiated pension.

But this is just corporate victim #1. There are a lot more dominoes to fall during the next four years.

"RE: Pension"
Posted by cahaya on 11-17-12 at 02:38 AM
There are a lot more dominoes to fall during the next four years.

Such is the gravity of the situation.

"BIL update"
Posted by Molaholic on 04-25-13 at 03:39 PM
Some good news --

He qualifies to receive his pension next month (hitting age 59), and there appears to be funds available. Not too sure at this time how long it will last...

The bad news -- his penultimate unemployment check got lost somehow and they are reluctant to replace it. Fortunately family members (me & my dad) will be able to kick in something to fill the gap.

Posted by jbug on 11-16-12 at 11:16 AM
Not the cup cakes! please save the cupcakes!

over 18,000 unemployed; really tough time to be out of work.

but? can you blame a company for closing when they are losing money? Companies don't exist just to provide jobs, right?
They need to at least break even.

I know it is always hard when employees are given wage cuts, hour cuts, pension cuts.
But if it means taking a cut vs no job at all?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/NATL-Twinkies-Maker-Hostess-Going-Out-of-Business-179643161.html

Posted by Estee on 11-16-12 at 11:40 AM
Up until today, I didn't know Hostess existed as its own company. I always thought they were an absorbed brand line for a larger manufacturer -- if I thought about it at all, which wasn't exactly often. (There is a Hostess outlet within a few miles of me -- or was: I've never been in there and don't know if it's still around. Last chance to see...) So news that Hostess was losing money would have been met with a shrug and 'Giant Food Company can afford it' plus the assumption that Tastycake was kicking their rears, at least on the local scale. As part of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, they probably would have survived. And I'm surprised no one's taken this dark opportunity to make an assimilation attempt.

But they were on their own. And if a company that size had lost, say, five million dollars last year? They're Hostess. Make a couple of tweaks and tough it out.

The last number I saw was $340,000,000 in the red.

No, they are not under any obligation to stay open just so people can keep collecting paychecks. The strikers may have legitimate gripes about salary and benefits, but here we have a company which can't afford to increase either one. Years of sports lockouts and teams claiming to lose money have made me look at declared loss as an aggressive negotiating tactic: we're eight digits in the black, but not on the books you're going to see. But then the Teamsters took a pay cut. That kind of made the ownership side look as if it had a legitimate point.

(Yes, I'd be curious to see what the executives pulled out during that period. No seven-digit bonuses, please.)

I don't know what the employees were making on the baking side of the factory. Maybe they were at that Walmart level of full time being just enough to die on. But that wasn't going to change because the company couldn't afford to alter anything. All striking did was pull the plug that much faster. Good luck explaining that to some of the union heads.

No profit, no hopes for same coming soon enough to save anything, no investors, and no government bailout. They exist to make money. They couldn't. And now they don't exist.

The cupcakes. Eat two in the morning and your body won't digest anything else for the rest of the day.

Posted by frodis on 11-16-12 at 01:06 PM
And I'm surprised no one's taken this dark opportunity to make an assimilation attempt.

Bimbo tried to buy Hostess the last time Hostess was bankrupt.

I feel that I should mention that this is in regard to the Twinkee news today, not the General Patraeus news. *snicker*

Posted by AyaK on 11-16-12 at 11:17 PM
Hostess and Wonder Bread were part of Ralston Purina until 1995, when Ralston sold the lines to Interstate Brands, who owned Dolly Madison. Interstate Brands went bankrupt in 2004 and then again this year.

Posted by Estee on 11-17-12 at 09:41 AM
"We made pet food and snack cakes."

"You mean 'We make dog food and food a dog wouldn't touch'."

"...sell it."

Posted by AyaK on 11-17-12 at 11:50 AM
Basically, that's right. Ralston was actually in the process of purging all of its "human food" operations by setting up a new subsidiary it called Ralcorp (which held Chex cereals, Uncle Ben's rice and a lot of other food brands), which it then sold to General Foods. It also purged its Eveready battery business (along with Schick, Playtex, Hawaiian Tropic, Banana Boat, etc.) by spinning it off into a new corporation called Energizer Holdings. That left it just as a pure animal feed business, and then it spun off its international animal feed business to Cargill in 2000. The reamining company was a pure U.S. animal feed business, which was promptly acquired by Nestle S.A. in 2001.

Did you know that the two largest animal feed businesses in the U.S. are Nestle and Mars? I thought chocolate was deadly to dogs.

Posted by kidflash212 on 11-16-12 at 11:43 AM
Is it okay to ask workers to take pay cuts while increasing the pay of the top executives just before filing for bankruptcy?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304072004577323993512506050.html

Raising the CEO's salary from $750,000 a year to $2,550,000 a year when the company is going bankrupt? But ask the workers to cut their own pay 30% for the good of the company. Hostess has been a poorly managed company for years, two bankruptcies in the past ten years.

And just when sales were going to soar in Colorado and Washington.

Posted by Estee on 11-16-12 at 12:17 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-12 AT 12:18 PM (EST)

Thankee: that's part of the information I was looking for. So the CEO is personally responsible for about 0.5% of that loss. Percentage-wise, not a lot. Perception and understanding-wise, sickening. He may have seen it coming and decided to rip out some safety nets to build his own parachute.

And just when sales were going to soar in Colorado and Washington.

*snicker* Yeah, this would be a really good time for Tastycake and Drake to get aggressive with a brownie recipe. How national was Hostess?

Posted by kidflash212 on 11-16-12 at 12:23 PM
What it says to me was the top executives put their own self interests ahead of saving the company. But it's all the unions fault.

Posted by Snidget on 11-16-12 at 12:48 PM
I'll put it in rumor until I see better data, but apparently they've gone through a string of CEO's who had no experience in running a baking company, but lots of experience in taking companies apart for the highest bidder.

Posted by AyaK on 11-16-12 at 11:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-12 AT 11:23 PM (EST)

The high pay was supposed to attract someone who knew enough to fix the company. In response to the controversy over the pay, the guy (and the company's other top 3 execs) agreed to take a salary of $1 for a year. So he'll never see the high pay, because the company folded first.

But, hey, having the company broke and everyone out of work is consistent with making everyone pay their fair share, right?

Posted by kidflash212 on 11-17-12 at 09:30 AM
The high pay was supposed to attract someone who knew enough to fix the company

It was a raise, not a salary offered to an incoming CEO. A month before the bankruptcy filing because once they filed for bankruptcy all the incentive and bonuses built into their employment contract couldn't be paid under the current bankruptcy laws, so the execs raised their salaries to make sure they got theirs while asking for concessions from others.

In response to the controversy...

So if there wasn't a controversy, they would have taken a $1 salary anyway? They weren't being benevolent.

Posted by AyaK on 11-17-12 at 12:01 PM
No, it was a replacement of bonus compensation with salary. It's illegal under U.S. law to pay retention bonuses in a bankruptcy situation, and most companies respond by trying to turn all bonus compensation into salary.

It's another example of a supposedly consumer-friendly law having the reverse effect. What companies used to want to do (as the consultant recommended here) was pay incentive compensation for turning the company around. But, if the turnaround was accomplished in an acrimonious situation, as would be the case here, interest-holders in the company (such as unions) would later sue and allege that the compensation was a retention bonus. Generally, the executive would agree to take a "haircut" on the amount paid to end the litigation costs. As a result, executives in general will no longer accept such bonus arrangements; the only way that the payment is exempt from the risk of future lawsuit is if it's included in base compensation (i.e., salary).

Paying this is sub-optimal from a corporate viewpoint, because the executive gets the higher pay whether or not the company turns around. But it's all that's left, based on the current legal situation.

Stupid? Of course. But so are many of our so-called "worker protection" laws.

Posted by kidflash212 on 11-17-12 at 04:48 PM
Then the argument is that there is a minimum salary level that businesses must pay for a CEO or they won't take the job. Maybe they should expand the pool of CEO candidates to include people willing to take the lower salary.

Posted by AyaK on 11-17-12 at 01:05 AM
>Is it okay to ask workers to take pay cuts while increasing the pay of the
>top executives just before filing for bankruptcy?

Did you ever work for a large company that went bankrupt? I did. Within 6 months, everyone higher than a production scheduler and younger than 60 was gone (including me). Two years later, the company closed for good, having lost more than 50% of its business because of delivery problems (which were directly tied to the enormous "brain drain").

You know who got screwed? The people who worked for the company for decades. I felt tremendously sorry for them. But when I had to choose between supporting my own family and helping them, the choice was simple.

Posted by Snidget on 11-16-12 at 12:27 PM
Just so far it seems more of a fine we will just take all the balls and send you home with nothing rather than we are in a no win situation and we are all going to bare the costs of this together type of thing.

Yep, on the one hand a company can't just keep losing money hand over fist and stay in business just to keep paychecks coming from loans.

On the other hand, you can only punish your employees for so long and so hard before they force your hand. Going on strike and closing down the company because of it has always been the last resort of the working man. And sometimes just making sure the executives have a few less yachts before they declare bankruptcy anyway is at least a small victory.

I'd like to think that the employed and the employer will always work for a win-win situation in which CEO's and janitor's all end up doing pretty well for themselves. But too often those at the top just want to make sure they get as much of the tasty individually wrapped pies as possible before shutting the whole thing down.

Posted by Estee on 11-16-12 at 12:44 PM
tasty individually wrapped pies

...you've actually eaten a Hostess product, right?

Posted by Snidget on 11-16-12 at 12:54 PM
Oh, were the sarcasm font tags missing from that?

Posted by AyaK on 11-17-12 at 00:48 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-17-12 AT 00:53 AM (EST)

On the other hand, you can only punish your employees for so long and so hard
before they force your hand. Going on strike and closing down the company because of it has always been the last resort of the working man. And sometimes just making sure the executives have a few less yachts before they declare bankruptcy anyway is
at least a small victory.

Very strange thought. I hope the bakers union enjoys its small victory, then, while it begs the bankrupt US of A to give its former members a few handouts.

As Estee pointed out above before she got seduced by the class warfare herein, even the Teamsters realized how poor the company's economic condition was. But the Bakers Union, fresh off their victory in November, thought that unemployment was better than working.

They got their wish.

"Hey!"
Posted by Estee on 11-17-12 at 05:40 AM
As Estee pointed out above before she got seduced by the class warfare herein

I'll have you know that class warfare bought me a very nice dinner and told me it loved me!

Posted by Snidget on 11-17-12 at 08:26 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-17-12 AT 08:36 AM (EST)

Well I don't see that employees should just be happy the CEO is enjoying his millions and be happy with whatever crumbs they get and never complain no matter how hard they are being screwed. Sometimes the serfs didn't fire the first shot.

I suspect the strike only changed the date of selling it off for parts, not if the company was going to be sold off for parts.

ETA: I always thought one of the risks/goals of a strike was to bankrupt the company? That is why you don't go on strike all willy-nilly for no reason. I thought it should be part of the risk/benefit analysis that is done before going on strike.

Posted by Tummy on 11-16-12 at 12:18 PM
From Zombieland - "There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date. Some day very soon, Life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go... empty."

and they never thought it would happen...

On a serious note - There's a Hostess/Wonder bread factory in Tulsa. Workers have been on strike - some did cross the picket line. Most were picketing, not because they were asked to take a paycut, AGAIN. But because of the article Kid referenced.

Posted by VisionQuest on 11-16-12 at 12:43 PM

Posted by jbug on 11-16-12 at 10:35 PM

I mean

"Share your Hostess moments."
Posted by Estee on 11-16-12 at 12:48 PM
I don't really have any: the closest I get was using a Drake's pound cake package as an emergency breakfast. But one circlemate did describe her Three A.M. Apocalypse Snack from her freshman year in college:

"Two Red Bulls, two Twinkies, two hours to live."

"RE: Share your Hostess moments."
Posted by frodis on 11-16-12 at 01:09 PM
I had to declare a box of Twinkees when clearing customs in Australia.

They don't have them there and I was bringing them upon request of a friend who had often seen them in U.S. television shows but had never had one.

The customs agent laughed that I classified the Twinkees as "food."

"RE: Share your Hostess moments."
Posted by Brownroach on 11-17-12 at 10:47 PM
Well, coincidentally "Hostess" is an answer in the Times Sunday acrostic (clue: "brand name on a Ding Dongs box" -- it tactfully avoided mentioning bankruptcy.)

Posted by CTgirl on 11-16-12 at 01:05 PM
Nostalgically, this makes me sad. No more twinkies!

Besides being poorly managed, I'm not surprised they are going bankrupt. I grew up on snacks like these, but I rarely bought them for my son - too much crap (preservatives and such) in them. They never tasted as good as I remembered when I was younger. Like Estee, I didn't realize that Hostess was wholly owned. I expect some of the names to be bought up though (although I bet very few Hostess workers will be rehired).

Never realized I was more of a Drake's girl: Ring Dings and Yodels!

Cap'ns Cropfest 2010

"DIY Twinkies"
Posted by Snidget on 11-16-12 at 04:20 PM
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Hostess-Twinkie-Recipe.html

Posted by agman on 11-16-12 at 04:48 PM

"The obvious joke."
Posted by Estee on 11-16-12 at 04:53 PM
So now vampires Twinkie in sunlight.

Posted by Puffy on 11-17-12 at 01:33 AM
I think it's because everyone here on SBOT stopped eating lard-filled fats.

"Priorities."
Posted by Estee on 11-17-12 at 01:29 PM
Front page, New York Daily News: fear of all-out war between Israel and Just About Everyone In The Area Who Isn't Israel.

Front page, New York Post: lotsa pictures of the brand mascots for a proper goodbye to Hostess.

...not saying a bloody word.

However, the remaining stock is moving. Fast.

"RE: Priorities."
Posted by cahaya on 11-17-12 at 08:04 PM
And here we have it, the American media placing as much importance to the demise of a famous snack brand product (which, incidentally, goes way, way back to my half-a-century-ago childhood) as it does a regional Judeo-Islamic conflict (which beginnings predates my birth) with real lives already lost.

The stock is falling!

"Realistically"
Posted by dabo on 11-17-12 at 10:57 PM
The demise of Wonder Bread, Twinkies, DingDongs, HoHos, Donettes, Zingers and so on is genuinely unimportant. Nostalgia and whatever, everyone is entitled to their feelings and childhood addictions, fine; but it is fluff news not hard news.

The closure of an 82 year old American company, liquidation of its assets, and the jobs being lost are genuinely important news.

"RE: Realistically"
Posted by cahaya on 11-17-12 at 11:28 PM
The closure of an 82 year old American company, liquidation of its assets, and the jobs being lost are genuinely important news.

Yes, it is (see Moly's post #2).

It may be fluff and filling, but it also affects many people who we either know or don't know.

While the American corporate scene moves on, there is a battle affecting lives in an equally, if not more serious way, outside of our cream-filled borders.

"It's worse than I thought"
Posted by VisionQuest on 11-17-12 at 08:42 PM
I was at Target today doing some grocery shopping and the shelf that normally houses the Hostess snacks was replaced with TastyKakes snacks. The last three twinkies in my cupboard now may be the last ones I ever see.

"RE: It's worse than I thought"
Posted by Snidget on 11-17-12 at 08:53 PM
Here we have more Little Debbies. Grocery store I went to this afternoon had a few loaves of Wonder Bread left, a few bags of minidonuts, a few mini muffins and yellow cupcakes left.

"Spending priorities in a recession --"
Posted by Estee on 11-18-12 at 01:05 PM
-- do not always apply on eBay, where those last boxes of product -- the last boxes forever! -- for a value of 'forever' which equals 'a gap of a few months before someone else buys the license and gets their own machines rigged to go' -- are selling at prices somewhat above the original shelf value. I see one person getting $12.50 for a single box of Twinkies. I see someone else asking (and not getting) $10,000.

I was going to say something about the vast stupidity involved in this, but then my latest copy of The Hollywood Reporter arrived with its article about the most exclusive bars in Las Vegas -- places which will happily charge you $3400 for whiskey. One ounce of it. Aged fifty years.

So it's pretty much a question of what you're into and how much money you want to throw at it. And if that's stupid, well -- stupid arcs across all economic classes.

But if no one somehow picks up those brands, what are those boxes going to be in fifty years?

Fresher?

"A wrecky tribute"
Posted by Snidget on 11-19-12 at 12:59 PM
http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/11/19/what-about-the-twinkie.html

"closure delayed"
Posted by dabo on 11-19-12 at 10:32 PM
http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2012/11/19/15279605-twinkies-last-stand-its-up-to-a-mediator?lite

Hostess Brands, unions and lenders agreed to mediation to try to save the company ... The decision staves off, for a couple of days at least, Hostess’ plans to shut down its 33 factories and lay off 18,500 workers after an acrimonious labor dispute that could lead to the end of the 82-year-old company ...

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain urged the parties to come to an agreement through mediation rather than through a public, and costly, hearing. The court called a short recess while the lawyer for the baker's union phoned his client to see if the union would agree to a mediation process tomorrow.

After the recess, the sides agreed to a mediation session Tuesday at 1 p.m. ET to try to work things out. ...

The sides will probably come to an agreement on Tuesday, John Pottow, a bankruptcy law professor at the University of Michigan, told TODAY. The biggest sign, he said, is that the Teamsters were on board. ...

"The bakery union probably thought management was bluffing," Pottow said. After Hostess filed for permission to liquidate Friday, it became clear they weren't.

Meanwhile, our local Hostess store ran out of bread on Saturday, took down all the signs and stuff, and now the parking lot is occupied by cars with "for sale" signs.

"Union warfare"
Posted by AyaK on 11-30-12 at 12:40 PM
The mediation went nowhere, and the judge blamed the bakers' union, then approved the liquidation.

One of the discussions made about the liquidation is that the Teamsters -- the union which agreed to the reduced contract -- will be the big losers, because somebody might acquire the company's baking facilities, but nobody would continue Hostess' distribution network. I've seen the -- what should I call it -- "lack of solidarity" between the unions given as a reason why the bakers' union wanted the company to go bankrupt, because it didn't want its members to help subsidize the current distribution network for Hostess Brands.

We'll know more when we see how the liquidation proceeds.

"Return of the Twinkie?"
Posted by AyaK on 01-29-13 at 01:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-29-13 AT 01:29 PM (EST)

http://www.pehub.com/183423/apollo-metropoulos-near-twinkie-deal/

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

"Return of the Twinkie"
Posted by dabo on 04-25-13 at 01:58 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/twinkies-real-ones-back-store-shelves-july-6C9590050?gt1=43001

Hostess no longer exists but their lard-filled numnums are coming back over the summer for any foreign producers planning a food challenge for Survivor: Everglades.

"Fifty percent accuracy."
Posted by Estee on 04-25-13 at 02:36 PM
"Everything will be as delicious and fattening as it always was,"

Guess which half.