URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37840
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Maybe it's the job..."

Posted by Estee on 11-11-12 at 02:54 PM
Seriously: is there something about being the head of an agency which routinely proves just how difficult secrets are to keep that makes you say "Well, now that I know how everyone else fails, I'll be able to keep my stuff under wraps forever!"

Or maybe it's just not realizing how quickly the tabloids will turn your name into General Betrayus.

I'm gonna make y'all search for this one on your own. I don't have to summarize the whole soap.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Maybe it's the job..."
Posted by cahaya on 11-11-12 at 03:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-12 AT 05:26 PM (EST)

What better intelligence position to be in than a sexually available biographer?

Screw him, and then really screw him.

Posted by foonermints on 11-11-12 at 03:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-12 AT 03:51 PM (EST)

It rhymes pretty well for those of us who only have a 3rd grade edjucayshon*.

foonermint: forever hiding behind a tree
*At least I was good in Wood Shop.

Posted by Snidget on 11-11-12 at 04:11 PM
Do you think he had any idea of the kinds of things that get the rank and file in trouble with security clearance?

I mean you would think the man at the top would know that any kind of fooling around that could be used for blackmail is bad for every other person in the organization. Or is this just another case of the rules don't apply to me.

Especially since so far she doesn't seem like the type I'd expect to be discreet when scorned.

"Maybe"
Posted by foonermints on 11-11-12 at 04:21 PM
At first he didn't think it would get to be so large a problem.

Posted by Estee on 11-11-12 at 04:30 PM
And no one does revenge like a writer... but in this case, while the exposure seems to have originated with her, the latest version of the story doesn't have it as intentional on her part. According to NBC, she was harassing someone through Email, those sendings were investigated, and it eventually pulled the curtain off the affair. Then again, we don't know the contents of those letters and there's some suspicion that there's a third woman around here somewhere, so if she thought she was harassing a rival and got the wrong target...

As for 'the rules don't apply to me', I'm tempted to say 'general' and leave it at that -- but I don't know this one well enough. On the other hand, the Daily News reported that someone recently wrote an advice column and described a situation perilously close to what's turned up in the headlines. If this turns out to be him, we can head for TVTropes and consider a new page for Screw The Rules, I Have Rank! (Screw The Rules, I Make Them!, which already exists, doesn't quite apply here.) You could also shoot his DAW rating into the stratosphere, but I'm pretty sure the politicos will send him flying after it.

Of course, if it turns out to be her...

The columnist even pointed out that the writer clearly wanted people to guess who it was.

"The other other woman."
Posted by Estee on 11-12-12 at 09:34 AM
In this case, that's the one whose complaints about harassment led to the investigation. And she is...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ap-source-target-emails-petraeus-paramour-state-department-military-liaison-article-1.1200299

...getting the best of it. I wanted to use the Daily News link because if they made her descriptive terms any more glowing, the newspaper would be quarantined for radioactivity. Gee, they're kinda fond of her.

For now.

Posted by byoffer on 11-12-12 at 01:09 PM
and the book is called "All In"?? Was "Innuendo" taken??

Posted by Estee on 11-12-12 at 01:16 PM
I believe Weekend Update reported that when the writing began, the title was Just The Tip.

"Worse"
Posted by kidflash212 on 11-13-12 at 03:34 PM
ABC News in Denver accidently broadcast an altered graphic of the book:

Only maybe PG-13

Some employee should have proofread that.

Posted by Molaholic on 11-12-12 at 08:17 PM
More proof of my grandmother's saying:

"A hard <insert non-PG13 term here> has no brain."

Yes. My grandmother.

Posted by Buggy on 11-12-12 at 08:50 PM
Because Grandmother's know what they are talking about.
Wise.

( seriously Estee, I figured the first place I would hear " Did Petraeus betray us?" would be from a place that started with F and ends with OX)

Posted by Round Robin on 11-13-12 at 01:35 AM
I have also heard this said as, "A stiff pr!ck has no conscience."

Posted by cahaya on 11-13-12 at 05:00 PM
I've also heard this said as "It takes two to tango."

"The columnist rings in."
Posted by Estee on 11-13-12 at 02:08 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8624514/chuck-klosterman-david-petraeus-scandal-living-cia-conspiracy-theory

"RE: The columnist rings in."
Posted by Snidget on 11-13-12 at 03:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-12 AT 03:12 PM (EST)

Poor guy.

I'm just waiting until I can turn on the 24 hour NC news station and not see them standing outside of the biographer's house.

Nothing is happening there. Well other than the one or the other of the FBI sitting outside the house occasionally leaves to go get coffee.

I'm not sure what the FBI is doing there. Is there some womanhunt for her I haven't heard of? If so why would they let the news report every 5 minutes that the FBI is sitting on her house?

Poor neighbors. I wonder when/if they will ever get their street back.

ETA, the FBI did come to search the house, but no one has been there since the story broke and the news vans decended, and sounds like the FBI hasn't been there the whole time. Interesting side note, Rielle Hunter lives in the same suburb.

"RE: The columnist rings in."
Posted by cahaya on 11-13-12 at 05:03 PM
Poor guy, indeed. It makes you wonder which spouse is feeling hurt the most, maybe both of them are hurt the most.

"Peyton Place meets the Armed Services"
Posted by AyaK on 11-13-12 at 07:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-12 AT 08:16 PM (EST)

1) Powerful married older man in high-profile position has affair with accomplished married younger woman of similar background. Standard soap opera plot.

2) The two of them set up an Internet e-mail account that they both know the userID and password to. Then they send each other love notes without ever actually transmitting the notes -- by saving them as drafts in the account. Thus, no transmission means no third-party e-mail records -- BUT the account has their whole love note archive in it.

3) Powerful older man breaks off the affair for whatever reason.

4) Younger woman concludes that older man is having an affair with second married younger woman with whom he and his wife are friendly.

** SO FAR, SO GOOD ** BUT NOW **

5) Younger woman uses shared but now inactive e-mail account to send nasty and potentially threatening e-mails to the second younger woman --- but never deletes the saved but unsent messages stored in the account.

6) Second younger woman actually has an "improper relationship" (whatever that means) with another powerful older man who is a close friend of the original powerful older man, but she is not actually having an affair with the original man.

7) Second younger woman asks for help from FBI agent with whom she was friendly to trace down sender of nasty and possibly threatening e-mails.

** TO THIS POINT, IT'S EASY TO BELIEVE THAT THE SECOND YOUNGER WOMAN FELT THAT SHE WAS IN CONTROL OF THE SITUATION. BUT GOD SAID, "HA." **

8) Friendly FBI agent turns over case to FBI cybercrime division.

9) While examining second younger woman's e-mail account, FBI agents finds shirtless pictures sent to her by friendly FBI agent.

10) FBI suspends friendly FBI agent from investigation and potentially from FBI.

11) While examining second younger woman's e-mail accoun, FBI agents find evidence of "improper relationship" between second younger woman and second powerful older man.

12) This juicy story is still open, as the details haven't come out yet, but they could cost the second powerful older man his job and perhaps the second younger woman her marriage, since rich husbands do not like to be cuckolded.

13) FBI agents trace nasty, potentially threatening e-mails to originating account.

14) While investigating originating account, FBI agents find saved draft e-mails.

15) FBI agents identify the writers of the saved draft e-mails as being the first powerful older man and the first younger woman.

16) FBI agents tell bosses, including boss of first powerful older man, of identities of writers of saved draft e-mails.

17) Boss forces first powerful older man to resign.

18) Entire soap opera makes the news.

"RE: Peyton Place meets the Armed Services"
Posted by frodis on 11-13-12 at 07:34 PM
Tune in next time when we find out about a secret pregnancy, an evil twin turns up on the scene, and someone comes back from the dead. . .

Posted by dabo on 11-13-12 at 07:37 PM
Ceux folle Américaine vigoureux, toute la France rit ce soir.

Posted by Estee on 11-14-12 at 06:55 AM
The Daily News is now reporting on the extremely broke finances of the military social liaison/whistleblower. Let's just say the glowing terms have been put away for the week.

There's also been a lot of demands to know why the President wasn't aware of the affair. So now you want the government in people's bedrooms?

Posted by cahaya on 11-14-12 at 11:08 AM
I have a notion that if the President was briefed on every affair involving major personalities (men and women alike) on Capitol Hill, he wouldn't have time for anything else.

Posted by AyaK on 11-13-12 at 08:18 PM
General Betrayus

In reality, it appears the only person he actually betrayed was his wife.

Posted by Estee on 11-14-12 at 07:05 AM
A fact which never got in the way of a good tabloid headline.

"President Obama giving a press conference right now."
Posted by Estee on 11-14-12 at 02:41 PM
I keep waiting for Donald to walk in with the secret divorce papers.

"Pat Robertson Chimes in"
Posted by Snidget on 11-14-12 at 06:15 PM
Of course he does.

And while he may have remembered to mention that sexual immorality in general is a bad thing.

http://global.christianpost.com/news/cbn-defends-pat-robertsons-comments-on-david-petraeus-affair-84951/

He sure spent a lot of time talking about how she's a good looking woman, a runner, she runs marathons, she does iron man, she's like fit and hot and right there, running near a married man in all her good looking fitness, near a general, I mean you can't blame a lonely man trapped overseas with a runner, can you?

Did he mention she runs. We all know what it means when a woman runs marathons....or something??

"RE: Pat Robertson Chimes in"
Posted by Estee on 11-14-12 at 06:56 PM
Not exactly hard to see his underlying translation here: all women are inherently sinful temptresses and this is all her fault. I would expect no less of him and certainly expect no more.

I wonder if he's ever run a marathon and been tempted by the women within. Of course, for him, running a marathon takes only two minutes. We've all heard about his legs.

"RE: Pat Robertson Chimes in"
Posted by dabo on 11-14-12 at 07:22 PM

"Rallying cry ahead."
Posted by Estee on 11-15-12 at 09:24 AM
The Post claims classified documents were found on her computer (naturally, without disclosing what they were because, you know, classified), so repeat after me, Toilet Papers:

Impeach! Impeach!

Also, revolution, kill all liberals, and Donald Trump for President!